Dum Spiro Spero

By Pr0ngsandPads

Dum Spiro Spero- Latin for While I Breathe, I Hope 12 years, that's how long it has been since Evalyn last se... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Epilogue

Chapter 8

88 0 0
By Pr0ngsandPads

Evalyn made a trip over the holidays to the abandoned Potter Manor. She wanted to find something special to give to Harry, anything that would have meaning. Most of the house at Godric's Hollow was destroyed in the attack, but protection spells kept a few small items safe. They had moved the few good boxes of odds and ends into the Manor. Evalyn had yet to go through any of them, so she was unsure if she'd even find anything.

First she stopped by James old room. Various quidditch posters still hung on the dusty walls. She dug through the drawers and pulled out a specific jumper. The name Potter in bold letters on the back along with his quidditch number. It made her furious that nobody thought he would want any of this stuff. She lifted a box onto the dingy red bedsheets and pulled out a few items. His and Lily's Head Boy and Girl badges, the muggle pregnancy test that Lily took when she thought she was pregnant, Harry's first baby blanket. The last thing in this box was a book, a muggle cookbook to be exact. James' messy handwriting held notes in the margins. Evalyn flipped through the pages, before an envelope appeared. Her name was scratched onto it. She carefully set everything aside and opened it up.

Evie,

I wanted to apologize for not being there for you more. I missed your birthday, and I'm sure I will miss Padfoot's. I never miss birthdays and it has been driving me bonkers.

This war has taken a toll on everyone and I thank you for being there for me, Lily and Harry. I know we didn't become close until our later years, but I couldn't ask for a better sister, a better godmother to my child.

I don't know if we will all make it through this, as much as it pains me to say it. I feel like my time is coming soon. If something happens to me, I know that my family will be in good hands with you. Do not let this war consume you. You are good. You are strong. Your heart is a beautiful thing that will keep you going.

My Harry is crying in the next room, so this letter is going to be cut short. There are a million other things I could say. But always remember, I love you Evie.

Love your brother in all but blood,
James F. Potter

The heartbreak she felt was on another level. Her heart raced and the rage combined with the sadness. She carefully set aside the things she would take with her and made her way into the backyard. The garden that used to be full of herbs was wilted and cobwebs filled the corners. She fell to her knees and screamed. Thunderclouds rolled in and the rain poured around her. Her trousers and sweater were completely soaked, and the rain caused her plaits to fall loose.

All of a sudden she was pulled to her feet and hoisted up into someone's arms. The strong emotions caused her to pass out in the person's embrace. It was unclear how long she was out, but she awoke back at Hogwarts, in Remus' office. Her eyes burned from all of the tears shed and her throat was scratchy from the screaming. The sound of her shuffling startled Remus. He immediately walked over to her and knelt down. Worry was sketched all over his face. "Evalyn how are you feeling?"

"Did you bring me back?"

He furrowed his brows, unsure who else she thought would bring her back here. "Of course, a neighbor called me and said some weird storm clouds showed up above the Manor."

"I failed him. I failed James." She burrowed into the covers, trying to hide from the guilt. "I couldn't protect them, and I couldn't protect Harry. I couldn't take care of him the way he wanted. He's stuck with those monsters who treat him like rubbish and he goes here where someone is trying to kill him every single year."

"Evalyn, look at me." Her misty green eyes peaked out from underneath the covers. The werewolf's heart clenched seeing them all red and puffy. "You have not failed him. There are many who have, but not you. You are the only one who has spent many restless nights fighting for this boy. You -" he patted the top of her head. "You would have made James proud."

Evalyn sat up criss cross style. Her wild curls fully free and draping down her torso. She was now in one of Remus' grandpa sweaters and a pair of shorts. Her eyebrows flew up as she looked down at the clothing. He laughed and held his hands up, "I didn't look, I swear. All magic."

"I miss him." Remus nodded and summoned a comb. He silently detangled her curls while she continued. "I miss James. And Sirius." She mumbled the last name but Remus still caught it. "I still love him."

"I know Evalyn, I know."

After her curls were taken care of, she got up and made her way to the Forest. Sirius took note of two things when she came close. Her teary eyes and the masculine sweater that covered her body. However, instead of commenting on the second thing, he held her as she ran forward to embrace him. Her body shook as she cried.

His hold brought a calm feeling to Evalyn. His hands gently ran through her hair, being careful to not mess them up. He knew the reason for the plaits, but it thrilled him to see her hair down and flowing. She closed her eyes and listened as he hummed a song the Effie would sing to him after coming from his parents'. "I went to the Manor today."

"What'd you find love?"

A simple question, there was no questioning why, no claiming that she was daft for setting herself up to get hurt. "A few things to give to Harry and a letter from James to me." She pulled it out and handed it to him. His own grey eyes became watery seeing his best friend's scribbles.

"We will get him back for this love, I swear to you." He pulled her further into him so they could get comfortable under the stars.

"I want him to pay. He deserves the suffering." Sirius has never heard such words coming from the witch. She has always been willing to understand someone's reasoning. Always willing to let someone go, no matter what they did. It made him both slightly terrified and excited at the same time. Pretty soon, the couple fell into a deep slumber, huddled close in the other's embrace.

Evalyn made her way to the Gryffindor common room. She wanted to place her gift without Harry seeing it was from her. She left a little note inside the bag, and set it under the tree before walking out.

Harry padded his way to Hermione and Ron. A small stack of presents were sat aside for him. He opened a knitted Weasley sweater, a box of fudge, some quidditch accessories from Hermione, and a box of small pranking items from the twins. Two packages were left. He grabbed the bag and opened it carefully. Inside were his father's quidditch jumper, a set of badges and a small blanket. A note fell out and he read over the witch's handwriting explaining the gift. He smiled to himself and held the jumper with tight fists. Next was a something big wrapped hastily in brown paper. He opened it up and inside was —

"A Firebolt?!" Evalyn squeaked out as the Headmaster spoke to her.

The old wizard nodded and Evalyn felt a force try and enter her mind. She raised an eyebrow at him. "I had no part in this." And it was true, she had no idea he was going to give him a broom. Mentally, she face palmed because how could he be so daft, if she had known she could have put her name on it. "I'm so sorry Dumbledore."

It was decided they would take it apart and check it for any issues. Evalyn thought it was fair considering what they assumed happened. As she was walking down a corridor, someone tapped on her arm. She turned around and was met by Harry and Ron. The bespectacled boy held a sheepish look before hugging her. "Thank you for the gift."

A bright smile found her face, "Of course Harry, I figured you might want that stuff." She wrapped her arms around the boy. "I am sorry about not telling you, I figured you wouldn't give me the chance if you knew."

"You're probably right. I forgive you." He pulled away and both boys waved at her before running off.

"Hey Mr Weasley!" Evalyn called out, the red head turned around quickly. "Where's your rat?"

"He's around somewhere, the bloody cat keeps scaring him off." He grumbled before making his leave again.

Evalyn threw a glare at Sirius as the man chuckled. "A Firebolt? Are you serious?"

He smirked and ran a hand through his hair, "Of course I am, at least that's what the papers say." He grabbed her wrist just as she went to slap his arm. "The kid needed a new broom, and my godson will get the best of the best."

"1- OUR godson" with a heavy emphasis put on the word 'our' "And 2- you left no note! If you would have told me, I would have put my name on it so it wouldn't be confiscated!"

"You always were the smart one in the relationship." Sirius shrugged and sat down, patting the empty space next to him. When Evalyn sat, he wrapped an arm around her waist and dragged her close. He nuzzled his face into the side of her neck. His warm breath caused goosebumps to appear on her arms. "But Merlin, he's a bloody fantastic seeker."

"You're not wrong, imagine what he'd be like when he gets this broom." The witch twirled rings around Sirius' finger, paying special attention to his wedding band. "I hope when we get Peter, me you and Harry can live together. We could be a little family."

"I want nothing more love."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77K 1.4K 79
all I can ever ask of you is to stay. just stay. ----- i do not take credit for the s...
1M 29.3K 182
-ᴍᴀʀᴀᴜᴅᴇʀs ᴇʀᴀ ❁ -ʀᴇᴍᴜs ʟᴜᴘɪɴ ❁ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝘙𝘦𝘮𝘶𝘴 𝘓𝘶𝘱𝘪𝘯 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘩𝘪𝘮𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘧 𝘨𝘳𝘰𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦...
1.8M 49.3K 179
✾𝘑𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘗𝘰𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳✾ ✧ᴍᴀʀᴀᴜᴅᴇʀs ᴇʀᴀ✧ ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ 𝘑𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘗𝘰𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘩𝘪𝘮𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘧 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘯 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭 𝘩...
39.5K 588 89
Where a Hufflepuff who stays hidden in the shadows falls for the Gryffindor who shines brighter than everyone. This is my first story, please leave...