Becoming a Maximoff

By Just_writing_a_bit

Book 3 in the Maximoff series. If you haven't read either of the books before, please do so. There is a short... More

Chapter 1: Hamilton, Scotland
Chapter 2: Cooking date
Chapter 3: Sunset
Chapter 4: What's your power again?
Chapter 5: 15 years later
Chapter 6: Soft*
Chapter 7: Visit
Chapter 8: Graduation
Chapter 9: 1 year anniversary
Chapter 10: Revelations and Rain
Chapter 11: Intimate Moments
Chapter 12: Finally 18
Chapter 13: Top Golf
Chapter 15: Family bliss
Chapter 16: Where are you?
Chapter 17: What's going on?
Chapter 18: Who are you?
Chapter 19: Where to go?
Chapter 20: A short journey
Chapter 21: Into the base
Chapter 22: Vents have ears
Chapter 23: Stone
Chapter 24: Why?
Chapter 25: Find Wanda
Chapter 26: Remember me
Chapter 27: Against the rest
Chapter 28: What now?
Chapter 29: What was that?
Chapter 30: Everything could change
Chapter 31: Bliss
Chapter 32: All along
Chapter 33: Attack
Chapter 34: Reunion
Chapter 35: Catching up
Chapter 36: Back at the compound
Chapter 37: Talking strategy
Chapter 38: Old room
Chapter 39: On the jet
Chapter 40: Wakanda
Chapter 41: Earthquake?
Chapter 42: Removal
Chapter 43: Forest
Chapter 44: Snap
Chapter 45: Half the population
Chapter 46: 5 years
Chapter 47: What do you know about quantum physics?
Chapter 48: Vormir
Chapter 49: 3 seconds
Chapter 50: Morgan
Chapter 51: We won
Chapter 52: The past
Chapter 53: It's not your fault
Chapter 54: Memorial
Chapter 55: 1 year

Chapter 14: The job and a phone call

214 19 3
By Just_writing_a_bit

Pov y/n

I fiddle with the ring on my finger, trying to keep my calm. This is nothing bad or too big, I'm just gonna ask, if they have a full-time job offer for me. And if they don't, that's also okay. We still both work and since I am not going to school anymore, we don't have to pay for that and can use that money otherwise. But a proper job would still be nice. 

We're trying to build up a long-term life after all. And even if I don't get this job, it's not the end of the world. I can apply at other companies as well, nothing pushes me to have a full-time job right away. I inhale deeply, trying to keep my nerves calm as I stop in front of my boss's office door. I mailed him beforehand to ask for a meeting and he sent an email back, telling me to come today at 12 pm. It is currently 11:56 am, so I am right on time. 

I knock on the door and a few seconds later, Mr. Harolton calls me inside. He smiles up at me from behind his desk and gestures for me to take a seat. I do so and fidget with my fingers in my lap. Somehow, this seemed easier in my head because I have no clue how to start this.

"What do you want to talk about?" Mr. Harolton asks and leans back in his chair. He seems relaxed, which is always good. Not that he would be a tense man, he is very friendly and kind and I liked working for him, I still do.

"I am 18 now..." I start and want to take it back right away, that's not a good start but he just nods and waits for me to go on. 

"So, I could work a full-time job now and since I really liked working here, I wanted to ask, if it was possible, that I could get that kind of job here?" I ask and look down into my lap, not wanting to see his reaction right away. What if he thinks this is dumb or that I am not the right person to do so?

We stay quiet for a while and I glance up, worried that I pushed it too far but he seems thoughtful, so that's good, I suppose. He eyes me and taps his fingers together in thought.

"I am not sure, if we have a free spot right now." He starts after a few more moments of silence that made me even more nervous.

My heart drops at his words. I knew this was a bad idea and I wish I could just walk out and never come back because this feels really embarrassing.

"But you did do a great job while you were working here and we could use someone like that to ease the other jobs around here." He thinks out loud and I peak up, a tiny bit of hope lighting up within me. That doesn't sound too bad.

"We would have you around four hours longer each day then." He continues slowly and I allow myself to get my hopes up. This doesn't sound like he's gonna tell me 'no'.

His eyes look at me and this time I don't avoid them, hoping to signalize him that I am ready for what he is thinking about. For a few more seconds he is silent before he slowly nods.

"I think that is a good idea. I'm gonna talk to the finance department to see if we can afford it but I sure think so. Until then I can't promise anything but I have a good feeling about this." He tells me with a kind smile and I feel relief and excitement rush through me. It would be so great if this worked!

"Thank you, Mr. Harolton. I really appreciate it." I say, trying not to jump up at the news because that would make me seem unprofessional. He nods.

"Of course. I'll get back to you, as soon as I know more. Until then, you're just gonna work your usual four hours." He advices me and I nod quickly. 

We change a few more words before I get up and step out of his office, releasing a breath when the door is closed again. That wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Now I can only hope, that the finance department will agree with this.
I work the rest of my day, still feeling a certain nervousness inside me, hoping I'll get the job. I'm also looking forward to telling Wanda about this. I haven't texted her the answer yet because I prefer to tell her in person, being able to see her reaction.

On my way back, I think about what it would mean if I got the job. My responsibilities would probably change a little because I am there longer than four hours. But I don't mind that, I am actually excited to see more of the company and which kinds of jobs they have.

I know, they have writers, journalists, publicists, bookcover designers and much more. And who knows, maybe one day I'll be one of those writers.

I smile a little but shake my head. This is just dreaming, I know the chances of publishing a story are very low and I shouldn't count on that to become true. But it is a nice thought.

I get off the subway and walk back to our apartment. When I get inside, I can hear Wanda talking to someone on the phone, so I am extra silent, not wanting to disturb her.

I get out of my shoes and go into the kitchen, making me and Wanda a snack. When she's done with the call, I walk into the bedroom and smile. She glances up and smiles widely.
Her work forgotten for a few moments, she opens her arms for me and I come closer and put the plate down before sitting on her lap. Her arms wrap around me and she kisses my cheek. Her affection makes little butterflies appear in my stomach. I turn my head and kiss her lips sweetly.

"How did it go?" She asks and I can't help it but to smile.

"Pretty good. Mr. Harolton said that he would like it if I worked there full time. He only has to talk about it with the finance department and will inform me as soon as he knows more." I tell Wanda, wiggling a little in excitement. Her eyes grow big at my words and she hugs me.

"That's so great! I am really happy for you, sunshine." She says and plasters a few kisses on my face, making me giggle and feel giddy.

"Thank you. I am excited to see where this is going." I tell her and she nods in agreement and gives me another hug before connecting our lips in a soft kiss.

I return the kiss instantly. But we are interrupted by her laptop making a noise, announcing that she got an email to answer. She sighs a little and taps my thigh, on which her hand was resting.

"Let's celebrate later tonight, okay?" She offers and I nod with a grin and get up. She nods towards the snack.

"Thank you, love you." She says and I grin even wider, returning her words before she goes back to work.

The next few hours I spend in our living room, cleaning a bit and doing some laundry. Once the chores are all done, I decide to scroll a little through the internet.
Something peaks my interest and I sit up a little. There's a short story competition. I read the rest of the article and the smile on my face widens with every new passage.

You don't need to have something of yours published to participate in it. They want you to send them an email with the short story you wrote and that's it to be a part of this.
I get really excited and read through the part with the topic of the story again. I have stories like that, they are already written.

My leg starts to bounce in excitement as I think about what story I could enter. I would obviously read over it again to make sure there are as less mistakes in there as possible and ask Wanda to tell me her opinion.
But just the thought of being a part of a competition makes me happy and I get up to get my notepads where the stories are all written down.

I'm occupied with that for the next few hours until Wanda is also ready with work. She comes into the living room and leans down to kiss the top of my head, looking over my shoulder.
I smile up at her but before I can say anything, her phone starts ringing and she groans a bit but lets go of me to get it from the bedroom.

I lower my notepad and look towards the door. It's past Wanda's worktime, she shouldn't receive any calls anymore. And usually, we also don't get calls.

She comes back, a frown on her face and sits down next to me. I put my notepad away and pull one leg up and watch her. She doesn't seem to have a problem with that as her eyes are on me. She hums.

"Why are you calling?" She asks, sounding a little...distant? I wonder who's on the other line.
She hums and nods but then shakes her head.

"That's not a reason. The last time, I told you to wait until you get a call from me or her." She says, her words a little sharper and I'm getting a sense on who she might be talking to.

"No...we agreed on...exactly." Wanda replies, locking eyes with me and taking my hand in hers.

She mouthes 'your father' to me and I feel a wave of unpleasant feelings rush through my body. I haven't spoken to him since that incident in London and Wanda is right, they agreed that he wouldn't call until I call him first.
She made sure that I have the time I need to process everything but it seems like he doesn't respect that, once again. Wanda's expression becomes annoyed.

"That's none of your business." She replies and rolls her eyes but doesn't let go of my hand.

She probably knows that this is making me nervous, even though I'm not talking to him and Wanda will make sure to protect me. She huffs a little and leans back as he seems to talk for a while. I chew on my bottom lip, not sure what to expect from this. What does he want? Why is he calling now?
It's not like anything big happened. Well, my birthday but that's like a week ago, so...

"I'm gonna stop you right there. It's nice that you want to tell me that...I am aware...No, you don't. We don't...Mhm...okay, bye." She ends the conversation and hangs up.
I look at her waiting for her to tell me what this was about. Wanda huffs a bit and brushes some hair out of her face.

"He just wanted to talk and ask how everything is going but when I told him that that's not what we agreed on, he seemed to feel the need to tell me about his life." She explains and lets her phone drop onto the sofa before pulling me a little closer.

I'm not sure what to reply to that, so I just nod. Ever since he yelled at me, I don't know what I feel towards him. I know, I don't have to like him but a tiny part of me wants that, he is still my father after all.
It's just confusing and honestly draining to think about it.
Wanda doesn't push me to talk about it, she just offer me her comfort and I crawl to sit on her lap, leaning my side against her and her arms wrap around me, holding me securely.

We sit like that for a while and I allow my thoughts to wander, they feel less overwhelming when I'm in her embrace.

"I have you." She whispers, kissing my forehead and my heart becomes warm, snuggling a little further into her. As long as I a with her, nothing can hurt me, at least it feels that way. 

A/n: Ahhh, the calm bliss of fluff... for now

Thanks for reading and love to you all <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.7K 947 13
*EDITING* This book is a fan-fiction about intersex You and Wanda Maximoff's love story. It's still a work in progress, so please be patient for the...
31.8K 1K 23
You never saw it coming, that's what you kept telling yourself, anyway. But the signs were always there, lingering beneath the surface, waiting to be...
12.9K 641 28
"He's taken one hostage." "Information on them?" "Yeah. HYDRA volunteer. Apparently Loki made a partnership with them for the scepter, they backed ou...
41.9K 1.2K 9
You had known the Maximoff Twins since you signed up to do the experiments to help Sokovia, in a world where soulmates existed. After the events of U...