The Waitress (GxG)

By gorillagroddshelmet

When working at a failing high end restaurant in New York, Mariah Breaux knows every corner about scraping by... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59

12

5.2K 158 27
By gorillagroddshelmet

My feet were planted into the ground as I completely took the scene in.

Behind the gate on one of the courts was Nova and the girl who was on my floor earlier.

I listened carefully when I heard a giggle escape her lips and I watched as she dropped the basketball from her hands. She then put her hand on Nova's chest and leaned up to kiss her.

I just wasn't expecting Nova to kiss back.

My stomach immediately churned as I watched the whole scene play out. From her grabbing Nova's face with her other hand, to Nova pulling her in by her waist, I felt nauseous.

I quickly turned on my heel to walk away from the horrific sight.

"Ms. Breaux?"

I paused in my tracks when I looked up and noticed Amos standing in front of me.

"Hey... I was looking for you." I said with my voice trembling, I was trying so hard not to cry again.

"Is everything okay?" He asked me, I could tell he had concern painted all over his face.

"Yeah, could you get a driver to take me in the city? I need some time to myself." It felt like there was a lump in my throat as I was trying to fight back the tears.

"I would need to get Nova's permission in order to get you a driver." Amos said, softening his gaze.

He had to know.

He must of realized she was out here.

"Do you also need Novas permission for me to walk to the city?" I said as I felt the irritation grow in my tone.

"I'm not-"

"Actually you know what? It's fine Amos, It really is." I said walking past him toward the front of the estate.

I crossed my arms over my chest as I speedily walked through the massive backyard. I don't even know why my feelings were hurt, I couldn't even say I didn't see this coming. I uncrossed one of my arms and brung my hand up to my face to wipe the tear that trailed down my face.

I barely known Nova for a couple days, so I shouldn't be feeling like this. I paused my thoughts when I made it to the front of the estate and noticed the suited men standing in front of the black SUV.

One made direct eye contact with me before opening the backseat door. I slowly walked over toward the guy until he spoke.

"Ms. Breaux?" The suited man questioned.

"...yes?" I trailed off.

"Ms. Casper said that you needed a ride into the city." He told me.

Did Amos tell Nova about the ride?I definitely thought she would have said no.

"I- uhm." I stammered, looking into the backseat, hesitating.

Why was i hesitating?

I ended up climbing into the dark SUV and put my seatbelt on as the man closed the door behind me.

Soon after I was being driven off of the massive property and I couldn't wait to get away from it all.

I stepped out of the car when it came to a stop in front of my apartment. It felt like I hadn't seen it in a decade. I thanked the driver and walked toward the familiar brick building.

Once the car drove away, I backtracked and started heading in the direction towards the bodega.

I was not lying about that sandwich.

The bodega wasn't too far from my apartment so it wouldn't be a long walk, but it was extremely cold already. I havent had to walk anywhere too far these past few days so this was a rude awakening.

I passed the different buildings as I continued down the cold street until I spotted the bodega. I walked into the corner store and a wave of warmth washed over me.

This is one of my favorite places to go, and has been an important part of my life since I got to New York.

"Mariah is that you?"

And upon hearing that a smile instantly grew on my face.

"Hi Ramona." I said to the woman who came into my line of sight.

Ramona is the owner of the bodega and is also like my second mom. Similar to Ethan when I first moved to New York Ramona was there for me and helped me when I really needed it, and I mean really needed it.

It was pouring outside and I had just landed in New York. I didn't pack an umbrella because the forecast said a light drizzle. I was 100% regretting listening to it now.

I was standing out in front of the airport waiting for my uber to arrive. The estimated time for the uber was 5 minutes and I was entirely grateful. I was so ready to start these new beginnings.

About 8 minutes have passed and still no sign of anything. I was sitting on the bench under a canopy, away from the rain but that didn't get rid of the fact that it was still freezing out here.

I kept checking the app to see where my uber was and still nothing. I covered my face with my hands, until I felt my phone vibrate.

I read the notification that said the driver canceled my uber, and took a deep breath.

I got up off of the bench and started walking away from the airport, hoping that I could run into a taxi on the short walk.

I was completely drenched before I was able to find a taxi.

I was internally grateful as the bright yellow car pulled over and I opened the back door.

I sat down, gave the driver my apartment address and stared out of the foggy rain covered window.

When we arrived at the apartment I paid the driver the fare, which was more than I was willing to pay, but at least I was out of the rain.

I got out of the car into the busy street and walked toward the sidewalk, I opened my phone to make sure I was at the right place and walked in the lobby. My shoes squeaked against the tile floor as I walked over to the front desk.

"Hi, I'm Mariah Breaux, I was talking to you out of state regarding the apartment, I had sent everything in and I was wondering if I'd be able to move in today?" I said to the older man behind the desk.

"Last name?" He said typing on the computer. I guess he didnt hear me the first time.

"Breaux."

"Oh, you're the one who was emailing me, yes I received everything in the mail, we just have a few things we need to finalize in person and then you're good." He said to me.

"Great, can we get started now?" I asked him slightly leaning on the front desk.

The man hummed in response, and opened a drawer next to him and pulled out a stack of papers.

That looked like more than a few things.

Once we were finished after what felt like forever, he handed me the key to my apartment and I walked deeper into the building. I looked around and saw a stairwell, "The only way up is by the stairs?" I called out to the man in the front.

"Yup."

I looked at the luggage in my hands and internally sighed. I carried the heavy bags up to the third floor until I found my apartment number.

I dropped the bags near my front door and put the key in the door. I turned the key and the door wouldn't open. I pulled the key out, put it back in and turned it, and the door still couldn't open.

I made my way back to the front desk to confirm that this was the right key and the man said it was.

I walked back up the flight of stairs back to my room and tried it again... and again... and again.

I was now sitting on the floor leaning against my door, gathering the strength to go back down the stairs and ask the guy for help.

I was staring at the door across from mine when I noticed a woman walk up the stairs from my peripheral.

"Is everything okay?" The older woman asked me, with a thick accent shining through as she talked.

I was currently debating whether or not I should tell her I can't get the door open, cause what if it was a set up? What if the guy gave me a bad key and sent the lady up hoping I would say I needed help, then she knew how to open the apartment door forever and then one night she comes to the building and-

"Hello...?" She asked approaching me.

I threw out all of my irrational thoughts when I said, "I cant open the door."

The tan woman then reached a hand out in front of me, "Let me see, my brother lives in this building, he had the same problem."

I stood up from the floor and handed her the key, watching as she put it in the door. She jiggled the key then pushed her body into the door.

Watching as it creaked open. I could have burst into tears right there.

"Thank you so much..." I trailed off completely shocked.

"You're welcome baby, if you need help again or anything I work at the bodega on the corner." She said with a smile.

"Thank you." I said once again, it felt like that was the only thing I could get out right now. She softened her gaze and pulled me into a brief hug, "You looked like you needed one right now."
We stayed like that for a few seconds before she pulled away.

"Remember, im at the bodega if you need anything, she said walking back to the stairwell going up.

I stood there for a while before I pushed my luggage into the almost empty apartment, staring out at the window, as I looked at the sun shining through the dark clouds.

~~~

"I haven't seen you all week, where have you been?" Ramona asked, while approaching me.

"You would have never guessed what happened this week." I said watching as she went behind the counter of the deli section.

"So you want the usual?" She said putting an apron on, smiling at me.

"Always."

This felt like a breath of fresh air.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79K 2.7K 10
"Kiss me." "I think I'll pass." Before I could say anything else, her hands grabbed my hips and slammed my back against the wall. And her lips found...
21.5K 702 23
A gxg version of 365 days. Viviana loses someone dear and in her despair falls for a women she doesn't even know. Seona, unaware of her new admirer...
488K 15.3K 40
Nova Astrid has been acting since she was 13, and ever since her acting career started, she's been in intense competition with Milani Zaffrid; the sp...
7K 249 16
A typical girl performs on the violin at a jazz club. All was going well until one fateful night when the notorious Mafia leader decided to take her...