Julian

By LolaDom

⭐A Wattpad-Featured Novel ⭐'18 Magic Awards - Favorite Character - Marlo Twenty-five-year-old Calvin Leblanc... More

I. January, Ch. 1
I. January, Ch. 2
I. January, Ch. 3
I. January, Ch. 4
I. January, Ch. 5
I. January, Ch. 6
I. January, Ch. 7
I. January, Ch. 8
I. January, Ch. 9
I. January, Ch. 10
I. January, Ch. 11
I. January, Ch. 12
I. January, Ch. 13
I. January, Ch. 14
I. January, Ch. 15
II. February, Ch. 16
II. February, Ch. 17
II. February, Ch. 18
II. February, Ch. 19
II. February, Ch. 20
II. February, Ch. 21
II. February, Ch. 22
II. February, Ch. 23
II. February, Ch. 24
II. February, Ch. 25
II. February, Ch. 26
II. February, Ch. 27
II. February, Ch. 28
III. March, Ch. 29
III. March, Ch. 31
III. March, Ch. 32
III. March, Ch. 33
III. March, Ch. 34
III. March, Ch. 35
III. March, Ch. 36
III. March, Ch. 37
III. March, Ch. 38
III. March, Ch. 39
III. March, Ch. 40
IV. April, Ch. 41
IV. April, Ch. 42
IV. April, Ch. 43
IV. April, Ch. 44
IV. April, Ch. 45
IV. April, Ch. 46
IV. April, Ch. 47
IV. April, Ch. 48
IV. April, Ch. 49
IV. April, Ch. 50
V. May, Ch. 51
V. May, Ch. 52
V. May, Ch. 53
V. May, Ch. 54
V. May, Ch. 55
Discussion Points & Final Thoughts

III. March, Ch. 30

1.3K 78 20
By LolaDom

     Shelley wasn't sure if she was relieved that callbacks were over or disappointed that she didn't have something to distract her from her pain anymore.

     "When will you hear back?" asked her father.

     She looked out the car window. "I don't know, but I'm scared to find out."

     He smiled. "I'm sure you did swell. And if they can't see that, it's their loss."

     Shelley turned to him, feeling guilty that he was celebrating her lie. "Thanks, daddy."

     "So, four-thirty in front of the library?"

     "Three-thirty. Auditions are over, remember?"

     He stopped the car in front of the school. "You're looking so much better, sweetheart. I'm glad this play is over."

     She opened the car door and got out. "It's just getting started. I just won't be part of it."

     He waved her goodbye as she walked across the parking lot and through the front gate.

     Shelley walked to her locker with small goals in mind to keep herself distracted.

     Grab your history book. Drink water by the fountain. Avoid Douglas.

     She searched each face for Debbie, but as she filtered through them, she realized too many of them were looking back at her.

     Shelley was used to being nearly invisible. All the attention left her feeling exposed and confused.

     A few of them waved, trying to get her attention.

     She smiled back, but kept moving.

     After what felt like miles, she found Debbie standing by her locker. "Good morning."

     "Hi, superstar," she said.

     Shelley groaned. "For the last time, it was just a callback."

     "Just a callback? That's not what I heard."

     Shelley manipulated her combination lock, then pulled it open. "And what did you hear?"

     "That you got the part."

     Shelley books became too heavy at the sound of her words. They nearly slipped through her arms and down to the floor, but she caught them in time. "Part? What part?"

     "In the school play, silly. Isn't it one of the supporting roles?"

     She studied Debbie's face, not wanting to believe that the one friend she was leaning on after her failed attempt at love would make up a lie like this to console her.

     But if she wasn't lying, surely, it was a big misunderstanding. The other girls who auditioned were far more qualified than she was. "No, that can't be."

     "See for yourself. I think the cast list is posted outside Mr. Leblanc's classroom."

     Debbie sighed. "You're lucky you get to work with him. He's so dreamy."

     Shelley was about to agree, but her head was reeling with the thought of her having to go up on stage and saying all those big words.

     This mistake needed to be corrected. She closed her locker and marched to Room 103, where she auditioned days ago.

     Students kept looking at her, not with happiness or hate, but with curiosity.

     Shelley made it to the cork board outside of Calvin's classroom, but found nothing, save for an announcement that a Friday deadline was moved to Monday.

     She felt better. It only meant there was a possibility Debbie was wrong. A possibility.

     She looked through the open classroom door. Calvin and Roger were sitting on the same side of the desk, writing on a notebook as they talked.

     Calvin looked up. He saw Shelley and smiled. "Perfect. Just the cast member we wanted to see. Come on in."

     She froze at the title. Stay calm. You don't even know what part you got. She took small steps forward. "So, it's true. I'm going to be in the play?"

     Calvin looked at Roger. "You didn't tell her?"

     "That was your job, but you've been busy working with the sophomore English department."

     Calvin sighed. "Let's not do this now. I already apologized for that. I'm getting back on track."

     "Bruce must have spread the word," said Roger. "Nice to see someone doing their job."

     Calvin grabbed a stack of papers bound together with binder clips, stood from his chair, and handed it to Shelley. "Here you go. You might want to study your lines before we cold read. Are Tuesdays after school better for you than Wednesdays?"

     Shelley was overwhelmed by the jargon and lack of answers. What role did she get? Why did she need afternoons free? What in heaven's name is cold read?

     Her thoughts were interrupted by a voice coming from the door behind her. "Knock knock?"

     Shelley turned. She couldn't believe her eyes.

     Douglas ignored Shelley's presence and walked up to the desk. "Get it? It's a Shakespeare reference."

     A dead butterfly in her stomach was revived, but died once more due to the stomach acid pouring in. Part of her was glad he didn't notice her. She didn't want him to see the look of shock on her face.

     "Ah, our Benedick has arrived," said Roger.

     "I heard through the grapevine that I could pick up my script here."

     Shelley's skin turned the color of her stack of papers. She closed her eyes, praying this was a nightmare she'd wake up from soon.

     Calvin handed him another stack. "News travel fast around here."

     He pointed to Shelley with his pen. "Your romantic lead found out this morning."

     Wake up. Wake up.

     Douglas turned to look at her.

     Wake. Up.

     He smiled. "Hello, Shelley Stone."

     "Oh, you know each other?" said Roger. "That's great. It'll make the whole transition easier."

     Shelley looked around the room. Everyone and everything within was laughing at her. She wasn't sure if tears or vomit were threatening her more aggressively.

     "Aren't I a lucky fellow?" said Douglas.

     You bastard. I loved you.

     She managed to look at Calvin and speak. "Mr. Leblanc, can I talk to you for a minute, outside?"

     He looked at her, confused, but excused himself and walked out to the hallway with her.

     "Congratulations," he said.

     "Mr. Leblanc, I can't take this role."

     He smiled at her, as if to dismiss her insecurities. "Sure you can. You've earned it. Miss Conway, Mr. Stuart, and I loved how you did during callbacks."

     She looked through the door window and saw Douglas. "I don't think this role is for me. Can I play another character? Or drop out all together?"

     Disappointment invaded Calvin's face. "Shelley, Beatrice is a very coveted role. You don't want it?"

     She felt ungrateful. Why did he have to make things so much harder? She was starting to resent him. "I appreciate everything you did for me. Really, I do. But I don't think I can work with..."

     Calvin watched her. "Let me guess. With Cassles?"

     She blinked. "How did you know?"

     "Oh, that boy can be a little rough around the edges, but don't worry. Mr. Stuart assured me he'd be on his best behavior. And he owes you an apology, but I'll make sure he delivers."

     Shelley didn't want to cry in front of her teacher, but his caring attitude was almost inviting her to do so.

     "Besides," said Calvin. "It's not like you'll be working with him too much. He'll be in the back building the set."

     Shelley was confused. Then, she realized Calvin was referring to Bruce. She found out during callbacks that he was Douglas' cousin. The actors referred to him as "The Other Cassles".

     She wanted to correct him, but she knew doing so would mean telling him the truth about Doug. "Oh, um, I guess that's okay."

     Calvin smiled. "I'm very partial to the Beatrice role, but I know you're going to shine."

     Shelley found it odd that Calvin loved the role he picked out for her, a female role. "Thanks, Mr. Leblanc."

     "You're welcome. And you know, now that Douglas is on board, I'm sure he's willing to help you get settled."

     Calvin went back inside as the first morning bell rang.

     Shelley wondered if she had time to drop off her breakfast in a toilet bowl before heading to first period.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5M 184K 46
Veronica Cruz has been through hell and back. After disconnecting with the world two years ago to be at the side of her dying mother, she's left alon...
373 63 26
No matter how well a smashed vase is put together The broken lines always stay visible No matter how hard a person tries to move on The hurt of the p...
835K 8.5K 16
Calliope's ex-boyfriend, her high school sweetheart, crash-landed back into her life like a rom-com sequel she never ordered, ready to rewrite the sc...
126K 2.6K 38
Lila Daniels has spent all of her life living under the protective wings of her three older brothers, Charlie, Lucas and Tucker or in the gymnastics...