๐—ช๐—ข๐—ฅ๐—Ÿ๐—— ๐—™๐—จ๐—Ÿ๐—Ÿ ๐—ข๐—™ ๐——๐—”...

By blahhberri

๐—ต๐˜‚๐—ป๐—ด๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ด๐—ฎ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐˜€ - ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ & ๐—บ๐—ผ๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด๐—ท๐—ฎ๐˜† "๐—ช๐—ฒ'๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐˜€๐˜€, ๐˜†๏ฟฝ... More

๐—ช๐—ข๐—ฅ๐—Ÿ๐—— ๐—™๐—จ๐—Ÿ๐—Ÿ ๐—ข๐—™ ๐——๐—”๐—ฅ๐—ž๐—ก๐—˜๐—ฆ๐—ฆ
๐—”๐—–๐—ง ๐—ข๐—ก๐—˜
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
๐—”๐—–๐—ง ๐—ง๐—ช๐—ข
chapter twenty one

chapter five

607 21 1
By blahhberri

- WANT A SUGAR CUBE? -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

"CASHMERE AND GLOSS. Brother and sister, District One." In the District Twelve living quarters, Haymitch stood beside a television screen and explained each pair of tributes for this year's games to Katniss and Peeta.

"They won back to back games, Capitol favorites, lots of sponsors. They will be lethal." He finished off the first introduction before switching the screen to District Two. "And the other half of the Career Pack, Brutus and Enobaria."

Katniss' brows turned down as she watched the two with their hands held high, both cheering along with the adoring crowd.

"What's with her teeth?" She inquired.

"She had them filed into fangs so she could rip peoples throats out." Haymitch spoke nonchalantly, something so odd coming from his mouth sounded like a normal everyday topic of conversation.

"She's committed, I'll give her that." Peeta tilted his head as he settled more comfortably in his seat after seeing the Careers, supposedly the deadliest of any tribute.

Haymitch changed the screen to District Three's tributes and two middle-aged individuals were displayed across it. "Wiress and Beetee. Not fighters, but brilliant... and weird, real tech savvy. He won his games by electrocuting six tributes at once."

Peeta pursed his lips, impressed at his words. He furrowed his brows though as Haymitch changed the screen to two people who looked more frightened of the games than Haymitch was of sobriety.

"The Morphlings, masters of camouflage. Basically won there games by hiding until everyone else was dead. Self-medicating ever since, which I applaud... Not a threat."

Once the screen changed again, Katniss recognized the man behind it simply because everyone knew who he was.

"Finnick Odair, right?"

"Yes. He won his games at fourteen, youngest ever. Extremely humble." Haymitch explained, holding back a chuckle at his untruthful remarks.

"You're kidding." Katniss called his bluff and looked at the man on the screen in disbelief.

"Yes, I'm kidding. He's a peacock, a total preener. But he's The Capitol Darling, they love him here. Charming, smart, and very skilled in combat, especially in water." Haymitch said as he walked back and forth in front of the screen all the while Katniss was trying to figure out what the big deal was with this man to make him so popular.

"What about weaknesses?" Peeta questioned leaning forward and resting his forearms against his knees.

"He may look like a heartless play boy but he's got two extremely problematic weaknesses." Haymitch said as he switched the screen again, presenting an older woman stood beside a girl with red hair who looked to be in distraught, sobbing profusely.

"First, Mags. She volunteered for Annie, a very good friend of his. Mags was his mentor and basically raised him, so if he's trying to protect her in any way, it exposes him."

"A guy like that has to know she's not gonna make it. I bet when it really comes down to it, he won't protect her." Katniss stated.

Haymitch pursed his lips and looked back at the screen as Finnick and Mags shared a sweet hug. "Well, Katniss, I just hope when she goes she goes quickly. She's actually a wonderful lady."

Katniss' eyes shifted in discomfort, and maybe a hint of guilt. Luckily Peeta's curiosity led the subject elsewhere.

"What else? What's the second one?" He asked.

"Right..." The screen then displayed a woman with a wide smile as she stood beside a younger girl, both Katniss and Peeta recognizing her in an instant as they shared a look. "That brings us to Nadia Holloway, District Five. Winner of the sixty-seventh Hunger Games."

"That woman was in the games?" Katniss asked skeptically with her finger pointed at the screen in question.

"And won them, yes." Haymitch nodded, folding his hands in front of him as he watched Nadia give Paisley a hug before crossing to the middle of the stage, the woman smiling again.

"She looks like she wouldn't hurt a fly." Peeta shrugged.

Haymitch tilted his head from side to side in consideration, knowing it wasn't true. "That's essentially what led to her win."

"What do you mean?" The boy asked confused.

"Sure, Nadia looks like a bundle of sunshine and rainbows, but portraying weakness was probably the smartest thing that girl did." Haymitch explained before letting out a chuckle. "She survived by the ignorance of her peers and the wit of her own mind."

A pause followed and in the short silence, Katniss watched her wave and blow kisses to the crowd with a sour expression while Peeta grew curious.

"Plus she's got a hell of an aim." Haymitch added to break the silence.

     "Any weaknesses?" Peeta asked, hoping there was some sort of disability to at least a few of these tributes, considering his own would drag him behind a bit.

     "She suffered a crucial injury to her right arm during her games so she's left handed now. But I can't imagine she'd be any less dangerous." Haymitch offered, though it didn't help Peeta's nerves one bit.

Peeta looked back at the screen and watched as her and her district partner raised their hands together. Now knowing a little more about her, he'd say she's definitely not someone to just sweep under the rug.

     "Why is she a problem for Finnick, though?" Katniss questioned.

"They're both equally bad for each other, and together they're bad for you." Haymitch spoke assuredly, his eyes oozing seriousness as he looked between the boy and girl. "You better be smart about killing either of them because if you did, the other would be right behind with something sharp lodged into your skull... Be careful."

༄༄༄

Just like every time she arrived in The Capitol, Nadia had to smile and wave to cameras waiting outside the train to catch a glimpse of her outfit, and just maybe, they'd be one of the lucky few who received a wink.

     Her smile wasn't as glamorous as it usually was and she didn't feel like offering a wink or blowing kisses. She'd be dead soon anyways, why would she have to comply with Snow on her deathbed?

The next day, Apollo and Nadia were being led by their escort down the halls of the new tributes center, The Capitol having spared no expense when it came to this third Quarter Quell.

Marjorie, dressed in a cherry red from head to toe, kept glancing behind her and rushing them along. "Come come, we are already late!"

She turned her red wig in one swift motion, Nadia sure it'd fly off her head one of these days from the excessive amount of disappointed head shakes she displayed.

Apollo had been quiet all last night and throughout this morning, rightfully so. Nadia knew she made a comment that brought him back to the darkest part of his life, but it was more so how simple a few words effected him that made him angry. It was still a little awkward nonetheless.

     "Marj, we have two hours. You can calm down a little bit." Apollo spoke for what Nadia believed to be the first time this morning.

     "No I cannot, if I'm calm, we'll be late." Marjorie exaggerated with the utmost dramatics. "My urgency gets things done."

Marjorie's rushing was the only sound filling their ears as they arrived to where Clem was waiting, the three walking in to find the stylist poking at a dress on a stand that was covered with diamonds.

Birdie and Dightery went straight past Nadia and Marjorie and began their swooning over Apollo. The two couldn't get enough of the man and it always brought a humorous smile to Nadia's face to see the man squirm under their pestering.

"Oh, good. Thought you weren't going to make it." Clem said as she approached the women, looking over Marjorie in judgement for the bright red she chose to wear then to Nadia before she kissed each of her cheeks.

"No time for catching up, we are actually on a bit of a time crunch this time." Clem said, her eyes catching to the makeup artists as they poked and petted the poor man.

"Oh, for the love of God." She muttered, letting out a huff that made Nadia laugh quietly. "Birdie! Dightery! There are more important things than to cause the man discomfort."

     They stepped away begrudgingly, Dightery wiggling his fingers at Apollo before himself and Birdie went to work setting up their table.

     After a long process of hair and makeup, Nadia and Apollo were standing in front of their costumes in robes, looking over the impressiveness of the blinding diamonds.

"Now, past years District Five has never really stood out as one of the more memorable districts. This year I figured we'd make a statement." Clem said enthusiastically with a hand on each of their shoulders. "If Snow has any issues, he can take it up with me."

Nadia chuckled, resting her hand atop Clem's and giving her a grateful nod. "Thanks, Clem. They're beautiful."

     Clem waved her hand in dismissal to avoid letting her head get too large. "Well, I had you two in mind when creating them. And an artist's only as good as their muse, you know."

     "We must be really good muses then." Apollo gestured to the bedazzled outfits.

     "You are." Clem assured, swiftly reaching for their costumes before shoving them in their arms and shooing them into opposite dressing rooms. "Now hurry! I hate to admit it, but we're actually short on time!"

Behind the curtain, Nadia took a couple minutes to work the dress up her body given how tight it was. After all, it wouldn't be a dress for Nadia Holloway unless fifty percent of her skin was on display.

This dress, however, she found a liking for. It was the brightest silver imaginable and though it revealed more than Nadia saw reasonable with it's deep V-neckline and a high slit up her thigh, she found herself smiling at her appearance.

Just below her hip, the fabric cut off but long strands of diamonds flowed well past her feet, only missing the floor because of her shiny, silver heels. In liking to the flowing strands of diamonds that traveled the length of her legs, the sleeves were the same with the bright jewels covering just about every part of her.

     District Five is more often than not overlooked and to wear something representing her district in a way that wasn't —well, a lightbulb— Nadia felt proud.

Clem summoned her out in a rush once she was done, the woman pushing her to stand in front of a mirror so she could make sure everything was perfect.

Nadia's hair was done in an intricate fashion, the woman feeling lucky it was out of sight so her eyes wouldn't go crossed in confusion as to where each strand connected. Silver tinsel was attached to pieces of her hair and woven into some of the braids.

     Her makeup was powerful with white wings across her eyelids and in contrast to the rest of her outfit which remained monochromatic, her lips were painted a dark, crimson red.

"Now, for the finishing touch." Clem grabbed a headband that too was decorated with an array of jewels. It wasn't quite a crown, but it was close enough to add to the already extravagant costume.

Clem stepped back as Nadia faced her, her hands coming up to cover her mouth just to awe over her for a moment. "You look even more stunning than I could've ever imagined you."

"All thanks to you." Nadia smiled, looking down at herself again, nearly blinded by her shiny appearance.

༄༄༄

Given that Apollo hadn't really spoken to Nadia all morning made for quite an interesting elevator ride down to the Avenue of the Tributes. And by interesting, Nadia kept having to hush herself once she would attempt to start a conversation, only backing out because of how odd it sounded in her head.

     She felt suffocated even when the doors opened, Marjorie, Clem and Cyrus all filing out in front of them.

     As they walked, Nadia felt a light pressure on her shoulder, the woman turning as Apollo leaned over slightly.

"You look great." He whispered, and it's like a wave of relief washed over her, the smile following his words making the raging sea calm again.

     "So do you." Her smile mirrored his own, the pair approaching the other tributes and chariots. The silence was more comfortable than it was this morning, but Nadia still felt badly for whatever past trauma she might have made light of.

     Once they came to a stop beside their chariot, she turned to him with apologetic eyes. "I'm
sor—"

     Her voice was overpowered by the loud and obnoxious call of her name, both herself and Apollo looking around for the culprit.

     "—Nadia!" They spotted Johanna sprinting towards them in an emerald green and brown jumpsuit with heeled boots, both surprised by the simplicity of her run in such shoes.

     "Hi, Jo!" Nadia exclaimed with her arms opened wide, Johanna using her as a brake as she ran right into her, wrapping her in a tight hug.

     They hadn't seen each other since last year's games for mentoring and their reunions were always quite the head turner with how loud Johanna screams in the presence of her friend.

     Pulling away, Johanna kept the woman's hands interlocked with her own as her eyes traveled over all the diamonds clad to Nadia's body.

     "I wish you liked women." Johanna huffed in disappointment.

     Nadia smirked, her eyes too giving her friend a once-over. "Who says I don't?"

     "I think the way you look at Finnick says you don't." Johanna stated with a shit-eating grin plastered across her face, Nadia letting out a defeated breath knowing no matter the attempt to deny it, Johanna and Apollo will never let up on their teasing.

     Now that she's messed with one of her friends, Johanna faced Apollo with furrowed brows of judgement taking in his outfit.

     "You look ridiculous." She said.

     Apollo blinked in offense, gesturing between himself and Nadia with words defending himself. "She looks great but I look ridiculous? We're wearing the same thing."

     "Did you tell your stylist to make a mens version too?" Johanna said quickly, Nadia chuckling to herself as she watched in amusement.

     "At least I don't look like a tree." Apollo looked utterly proud of himself as his smug smile made Johanna scoff.

     Before she could rip his head off, Finnick was walking up to them in an outfit covering hardly anything. "Sorry, Jo. You do look like a tree."

     His attempt to rest his arm on her shoulder was shut down quickly as Johanna shoved his arm away. "Shut the hell up."

Apollo was even more satisfied with himself now, the man backing away towards the horses with Johanna hot on his heels presumably to give him a piece of her mind.

Now alone, Finnick took in Nadia's appearance and was momentarily speechless to see her look so extravagant.

     "This is certainly a step up from the lightbulb fiasco." He said, looking over her from head to toe.

     "And this is..." She gestured to the small amount of fabric covering his groin. "Barely anything."

     "Leaving nothing to the imagination, so to speak." They both chuckled, Finnick stepping a little closer and taking one of her hands in his.

     "Jokes aside, you look beautiful." He lifted her hand and placed a lingering kiss against her skin.

     "Thank you." Nadia finally spoke after his lips left her hand, fighting harder than usual to keep her blushed cheeks under control in his presence.

Even though it was all for show, the man signifying that he can flirt with anyone and everyone, she liked to think sometimes that their small exchanges were only reserved for each other.

     Finnick looked over Nadia's shoulder, a smirk replacing the soft smile he couldn't resist when staring at her.

     "Here comes our new victors." He said as Nadia followed his eye line, Katniss and Peeta walking in with Cinna, their stylist and arguably the most famous one in all of The Capitol since last year's games.

     Nadia crossed her arms over her chest, facing Finnick with a smirk matching his own. "You go right, I go left?"

     "Definitely." Finnick replied simply, the two departing ways in unison with a mischievous idea. Who said they couldn't have a little fun before they died?

     The one thing keeping Nadia out of the spotlight as of recent was Katniss and Peeta's 'love story'. A story that Nadia wasn't sure she believed. She liked secrets and so she decided it was only in her nature to pick the boy's brain and try to learn some of his.

     "Peeta!" She spoke a decibel or two above most, the boy turning at her voice.

     As she approached, Peeta politely nodded his head in greeting. "Nadia."

     "Did you enjoy the fireworks?" She smiled.

     Peeta shrugged, indifferent to the raved about lights decorating the sky. "Not my cup of tea."

     She nodded in agreement, waving her hand in dismissal. "I'm not a fan either. I've never been one for fancy parties and all that extravagant nonsense."

     "Whenever I see you, you're covered in jewels and all that extravagant nonsense." Peeta's brows furrowed, her appearance disregarding her words.

     "That's for everyone else to see." Nadia stated, her arms extended to the full length of her wingspan with means to show off her dress.

     "If you don't like wearing diamonds head-to-toe, why do it?"

     She chuckled to herself, amused at the idea she had a say in the matter before she stepped closer to him.

     "You know, Peeta, you and I are a lot alike." She said, voice in a low whisper.

     "Oh, we are?" He would've laughed, but refrained as he looked over her in question. She looked coy, but he could tell she wasn't clueless in the slightest.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but we've both got that one person above us that makes all our decisions, don't we?"

Peeta was no fool and he's realized the skepticism he and Katniss received in regards to if their act was genuine or not. He figured this must be her way of trying to fish something out of him.

     Carefully he thought over his reply, Nadia's big, brown eyes staring into his making the task harder as pressure mounted.

"Doesn't everyone?" He finally answered.

     "To an extent, yes." She reasoned, leaning over with a hand cupping the side of her mouth before she whispered. "Some more than others."

     "I'll bare that in mind." Peeta nodded in what appeared to be the end of the conversation as all the tributes were nearly ready to mount their chariots.

     "It was good to see you, Peeta." She smiled as she began to back away.

     "Yeah, you too." He nodded in finality, Nadia watching as he started towards Katniss where she seemed to be finishing her conversation with Finnick.

She approached her chariot, only stopping once noticing Finnick's line of sight was focused solely on her, his steps drawn to her as she halted in wait.

     "What'd you say to her?" Nadia placed her hands on her hips with squinted eyes pointing up at him.

     "All kinds of things." He looked around and waved to one of his many fans he caught staring at him.

"How 'bout Baker Boy?" He turned back to her. "He have anything interesting to share?"

     She tipped her head from side to side in some sort of consideration. Alas, she wasn't above teasing. "That's between me and him."

     "Oh? Are we keeping secrets now?" His brows turned down in the slightest much like his hushed tone that turned quieter.

     She nodded in simplicity. "You have yours, I have mine."

He too nodded, his eyes traveling down the length of her body one last time before they settled on the small white cube in his hand.

     "Sugar cube?" He held the small treat between his thumb and his index finger.

     He held it out for her and she accepted it, looking it over with a chuckle. "Have we really resorted to eating horse food?"

     "When the horses are better treated than us, yes." He said as she plopped it in her mouth, head tipped to the side in consideration before nodding in agreement.

     "That'll cost you." He added, meaningfully leaving out he insisted on a payment.

     "One little sugar cube?" She inquired through a smile, Finnick nodding and looking at her like it was obvious. "Even for me?"

     "Just for you, actually." He corrected, stepping closer.

     She couldn't resist the urge to glance down at his lips, her eyes not her own as she did just that. "Oh?"

     "Tributes mount up. Tributes mount up." A voice called over the PA system.

     "Just a little kiss." He said.

     She was stunned, her cheeks flushed in an instant, but he hardly even noticed as he had leaned down and placed a kiss on her cheek before quickly walking back to his chariot like he was guilty.

     He turned to gauge her reaction for just a second, catching a large, humored smile across her lips that she forced to not give herself away.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

here's nadia's outfit if y'all were wondering about the long ass description:

thanks so much for reading!

—Cj

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

230K 8.4K 110
โ‹†โญ’หš๏ฝกโ‹† ๐šˆ๐š˜๐šž ๐š–๐šŠ๐š๐šŽ ๐š๐š‘๐šŠ๐š ๐š™๐š›๐š˜๐š–๐š’๐šœ๐šŽ ๐šœ๐š’๐šก ๐šข๐šŽ๐šŠ๐š›๐šœ ๐šŠ๐š๐š˜, ๐š’๐š'๐š ๐š‹๐šŽ ๐šŠ ๐š ๐šŠ๐šœ๐š๐šŽ ๐š’๐š ๐šข๐š˜๐šž ๐š‹๐š›๐š˜๐š”๐šŽ ๐š’๐š ๐š—๐š˜๐š ." โ‹†โญ’หš๏ฝกโ‹† ...
15.2K 350 25
๐˜Š๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ ๐˜š๐˜ข๐˜ช๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ, ๐˜ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜บ. ๐˜Š๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ ๐˜š๐˜ข๐˜บ๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๏ฟฝ...
11.5K 337 12
แด›สœษช๊œฑ ๊œฑแด›แดส€ส แด„แดษดแด›แด€ษชษด๊œฑ แด›สœแด‡แดแด‡๊œฑ ๊œฑแดœส€ส€แดแดœษดแด…ษชษดษข แด˜ส€แด‡ษขษดแด€ษดแด„ส, แด…แด‡แด˜ส€แด‡๊œฑ๊œฑษชแดษด, ๊œฑแด‡สŸ๊œฐ สœแด€ส€แด, ๊œฑแดœษชแด„ษชแด…แด‡, แด€ษดแด… ๊œฑแดแดแด‡ แดแด›สœแด‡ส€ แด›แดแด˜ษชแด„๊œฑ แด›สœแด€แด› แดแด€ส ส™แด‡ แด…ษช๊œฑแด›แดœส€ส™ษชษดษข แด›แด ๊œฑแดแดแด‡ แด˜แด‡แดแด˜สŸแด‡. แด›สœแด‡ แด„สœ...
6K 171 35
๐“๐‡๐„๐˜'๐‹๐‹ ๐‰๐”๐Œ๐ ๐Ž๐…๐… ๐“๐‡๐€๐“ ๐‹๐„๐ƒ๐†๐„ ๐“๐Ž๐†๐„๐“๐‡๐„๐‘. What District 2 victor, Saffron Creek, and prodigy, Finnick Odair, share is the v...