The Waitress (GxG)

By gorillagroddshelmet

When working at a failing high end restaurant in New York, Mariah Breaux knows every corner about scraping by... More

2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
Epilogue

1

35.2K 671 164
By gorillagroddshelmet

One thing I hated about New York, besides everything, was how cold it gotten once halloween passed.

It's barely been November for a few days, and here I am shivering on the way to the train.

I currently had on a striped scarf, brown puffer jacket, over my black work button up, and my black work pants, but it still felt like I was still severely underdressed.

I work at a restaurant that is 45 minutes away from my apartment, and the only form of transportation I have is the train, and that's if I didn't miss it yet.

I swear the sleep was so good, I convinced myself alarms weren't even invented yet, and here I am late for work because of it.

I sped down the busy streets squeezing through the usual crowds of people, hoping I was able to catch my train at the last second, like something out of a movie.

I never really noticed the amount of people that actually lived here until I had to push through half the city just to catch a train.

I had moved to New York when I got accepted into my dream college, before then I had lived in Hawaii all my life.

My mom was born in Hawaii and my dad was from California. For his highschool graduation trip, his class went to Hawaii, where he met my mom and they fell in love. My mom then moved to California with my dad and when I was three they moved back to Hawaii.

On most days I find myself reminiscing about the life I left behind there. My mom and dad were more than supportive of my dreams and me moving to a different state, but it didn't make leaving them easier.

I can't help but think that maybe I didn't make the right decision.

I was quickly pulled out of my thoughts as soon as I saw my usual subway entrance. I started taking 2 steps at a time rushing through the crowds of people, who I hoped were also late.

If everyone is late am I really in the wrong?

As I approached the turnstile, I pulled my card out of my pocket and swiftly paid the fare. On a usual day where I'm not late I would just hop over the bars, but I didn't have time for imperfections today. I just hoped that the train was there.

I swear I'll never sleep again if it means I didn't miss the train this morning.

As if all my hopes and wishes were answered, there it was, the sound of the train announcer filled my ears and I began sprinting to the now closing doors.

A bunch of 'excuse me's' and 'sorries' left my mouth faster than I could process.

I quickly squeezed through the train doors and onto the train as the doors shut.

I made it.

I was completely out of breath and with all the layers I had on it felt like it was a summer day again.

After the full body work out I just endured I began looking around for a seat. It was fairly packed this morning so I started walking down the aisle until I spotted an empty seat next to this older woman who shot me a slight smile. I smiled back at her and managed to sit down before the train started moving.

Once I was settled in I pulled out my phone to check the time.

8:04

I should be there on time if everything goes exactly how it's been going the past year.

I've been working at the restaurant since my sophomore year of college so I could have a little extra money. What I didn't know was that it would literally be a little extra money.

The restaurant barely gets any business. On a good day maybe 15 people come in, besides my co-workers.

Thinking about it now, that's probably why only 3 people work there...

I pushed my thoughts aside and pulled out my headphones. I put them over my curly hair in one swift motion and shuffled my playlist.

Maybe some music can help me prepare for this mentally boring day.

Once we got to the familiar stop I stood behind the people waiting to get off, before the doors opened. Once they did I stepped off of the train onto the platform and started walking to my destination.

I checked my phone once more to view what time it was now, and it was 8:47. I made my way out the subway entrance and was met with the cold New York air again.

I absolutely despised the winter months in New York but at least they meant my Spotify Wrapped was coming soon.

I walked down the familiar street and began taking in my surroundings. For the first time today it felt like I was in my own little world and I didn't have to worry about anything.

I thought about the people passing me by and how they had their own little lives, but to me they were just another person to pass me down this street once more.

Everything and everyone here was so diverse, it seemed like they all had a purpose, like they had a reason to be here, to be doing something.

I didn't know what I was doing yet, I'm halfway done with my junior year and I still don't know why I'm here. I came here to pursue my dream with culinary school and get my degree but I don't know anymore, it's like the spark just faded.

It felt like I was just moving day to day and work was the only place I needed to go, and when I saw the gold and black sign that said 'ascent 71' I knew it really was the only place I needed to go.

Don't let the fancy name deceive you. We were
supposed to be a high end restaurant but the only people who came were the occasional locals and people who thought this would be a popular high end place to eat.

I couldn't even lie, the outside of the restaurant was really nice, before walking in you notice the outside dining area, with strung up fairy lights, heaters, and various plants scattered around. I don't know why people were not drawn into the restaurant just by that.

I walked into the dimly lit brick building and immediately saw Mr. Zho. He was the owner and my boss but he did a lot around the restaurant.

Like a lot.

I made my way to the back of the restaurant and took off the puffer jacket and scarf I had on and hung them up.

"We have a very big party coming in today I need you to work in the kitchen and wait their table," Mr. Zho said walking toward me.

"Very big like a party of two...?" I trailed off while taking my headphones off and placing them into the case.

"Very funny Mariah, about 25 plus people will be here," He replied while turning to face me. Mr. Zho was in his late thirties, had spikey hair and a clean shaven face.

When he hired me the restaurant had been in business for about 3 years before I showed up. This was the first and only job I've had during my stay in New York, and I must admit, I also fell victim to the fancy restaurant facade.

On my first day only 2 people plus Mr. Zho and I worked at the restaurant, one of which being Ethan. Me and Ethan had been friends since I got here and he showed me true hospitality when I was getting to know the city and the people in it.

The other person who worked with us ended up quitting, and shortly after that my other co-worker, and friend, Camilla showed up.

"The guests will be here at 9:20 so we have a bit of time to prepare, Ethan and Camilla will be coming in around that time so you'd have to wait the first few tables until they're done getting ready." He informed me.

I pulled out my phone and checked the time once more. It was currently 9:04 so I had a little while to get all the menus and things ready before this "huge" party showed up.

I nodded my head at Mr. Zho and made my way to the front desk to get everything prepared

By 9:15 I managed to gather all of the menus, wash and roll up all the utensils, and wipe the remainder of the tables before the guests arrived.

As the clock approached 9:20 I started to get a little worried, Ethan and Camilla have yet to show up and the nervous look coated on Mr. Zho's face told me this event was extremely important.

"Do you know who set the event up?" I questioned Mr. Zho who was standing next to me while staring at the door.

"Yes, it's some family, or company, I'm not quite sure I didn't ask too many details," Mr. Zho said while facing forward.

"What do you mean you didn't ask too many details?!" I quickly turned to face him.

"Money is money, they said they were throwing an event with more than 5 people, that's all I needed to know." Mr. Zho shrugged his shoulders.

As the clock hit 9:20 I don't know why I was expecting a bunch of hungry people to stampede into the restaurant, I was a bit disappointed when nothing happened.

"So-" I was immediately cut off when multiple black Suvs pulled in front of the restaurant.

Many groups of people started to get out of the vehicles, gather outside the restaurant and talk to each other, I quickly noticed they were all wearing black dress clothes.

Some of the people out there seemed to have various tattoos and jewelry on. What exactly was this event?

Soon enough the stampede people made their way into the restaurant.

I had a long day ahead of me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

728K 32K 33
Zora was was finally an adult, she was going to take over her mother's company. The mafia princess worked right under her mother's wing when she made...
53.9K 1K 17
A wlw mafia romance! Masc4Fem A well renowned female mafia boss has a strange encounter with a nurse and kidnaps her. Follow the story to find out w...
223K 6.4K 33
A new recruit joins the elite mafia and instantly falls in love.... with the Mafia queen. A sexually confused, cut off woman with commitment issues a...
41.7K 834 25
Mia is a 18 year old girl. She's in her senior year of highschool and her dad is a mafia boss! Although her father is a cruel heartless man he has th...