The Other Potter

By thatsltherinkid

Golden child, Lion boy; Tell me what it's like to conquer. Fearless child, Broken boy; Tell me what it's lik... More

Business As Usual
The Dementors
Home Sweet Home
Blame and Boggarts
Exchange of Secrets
Saturday Lessons
Tryouts and Catchups
Quidditch and Bed Rest
Boiling Over
Chosen Family
Gut Feeling
Tis' The Damn Season
All Things Merry & Bright
Shoulder To Cry On
All Is Fair In Love and War
Last Piece of the Puzzle
Inure
Confessions
Reflection
Back to Reality
Insomnia
Bruised Knuckles
Dark Mark
Toxins
Cicatrize
Realigning Stars
Calm Before The Storm
Selected
The Seven Champions
Wands & Worries
Rumour Has It
Fire & Ice
Flying High
Fake It
Strings
Deep Dive
Pluto
Blue Mountains & City Lights
Venus
Price of Protection
The Third Task
Meet you at the Graveyard
What I Was Made For
You're on Your Own, Kid
Terms End
Guilty Until Proven Innocent
Doubt
To Put Our Faith Into
For What I Am

Beauxbatons & Durmstrang

941 32 8
By thatsltherinkid

Ezra had eventually calmed down, but he kept muttering to himself throughout the week every time he saw Moody in the Great Hall. It was a little unsettling to see his friend like this, but he did his best to be there if the other decided he needed to talk. By their next Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson though, Ezra seemed to have sorted himself out.

Moody was stood at the front of the class, tables pushed aside to make more room. It reminded Elijah of the Boggart class Lupin had hosted last year.. He hoped it wasn't another Boggart class.

"Class," Moody called out, getting everyone attention, "Today we will practicing our restraint against the Imperius Curse."

"What the actual fuck?" Ezra muttered under his breath.

"But sir, didn't you say it was illegal to use the spells on other humans?" Felix asked.

The rest of the class broke out into nervous chatter.

"Enough." Moody called out loudly. "Dumbledore wants you all to know what it feels like to be under the curse, however, if any of you would rather find out the hard way - when someone's putting it on you to control you completely - fine by me. You can show yourselves out. Off you go."

Elijah looked to his friends wondering if any of them would make movement towards the door. None of them did. No student did. Ezra did look to the door for a long moment as if considering it before giving an exhausted sigh and staying put.

Moody began working his way down the register, beckoning students forwards in turn and putting them under the Imperius Curse. Elijah watched as both the twins fought the curse before giving in Jay started doing press-ups and Alix did cartwheels around the class, Felix hopped around the classroom three times, and Ezra put up a hell of a fight but ended up doing a hundred jumping jacks. Once the curse took a hold they didn't seem to be able to shake it off. Not until Moody removed it himself. By the time Elijah's name was called no one had managed to fight the curse completely though they all seemed to try their best.

"Pott- Lupin-Black," Moody growled, "you next."

Elijah let out a heavy sigh before moving to the middle of the room, staring at Moody as the Professor lifted his wand to him, and said, 'Imperio!'

It felt oddly like sinking into cold water, everything above the surface was muted and out of focus, his body feeling as though it was floating in the water. It was as if all his worries and concerns were wiped from his memory and in its place was a strange sense of happiness. His mind kept trying to tell him that this wasn't real - that he should stay focused, that he should swim to the surface, but the voice seemed to be quiet.

A louder voice was now inside his head, Mad-Eye Moody's voice. It echoed through the calmness, as if he were loudly announcing it over a speaker. Do a backflip. Do a backflip.

Elijah took a deep breath, his body twitching ever so slightly as he went to listen to the voice.

Do a backflip.

The voice that had once been a whisper trying to make him focus was getting louder though. No. Why would I do that? I need to stay focused.

Do a backflip.

No. Fuck that.

Do a backflip! Now!

No. I don't want to!

His body felt stiff as he tried to do anything other than what the voice was asking of him, but he shook his head, turning away from the Professor. It felt as though he had come to the surface of ice cold water, taking in a deep breath and feeling the calming fog leave his mind leaving a weird sensation of sharp pins and needles on his skull.

"Now that is how you do it, class!" Moody called, it took Elijah a moment to realise he was addressing the class and wasn't in his head anymore. "Did you all see that? Potter damn beat it. We will be practicing that again. The rest of you pay attention to his eyes. That's where you'll see it. Well done, Potter. Very well done indeed. They will have trouble controlling you."

Elijah ignored the wrong name, instead just managed a simple nod to the Professor. He was trying to gather his thoughts and wrap his head around what had just happened.

"We should get you something to eat." Alix said to him as they left the class an hour later. Moody had put the rest of the class through the curse before returning to Elijah for another four or five attempts.

"Why would Dumbledore want us to do something like that?" Ezra asked, shaking his head. "Shouldn't we be focusing on our O.W.L.s?"

"I'm kind of thankful for the current lack of O.W.L.s talk from Defence Against the Dark Arts. Means we can get through everything else for a little while." Jay sighed as they entered the Great Hall. "Between Ancient Runes, Potions and Herbology I have about 8 hours of homework left to do before Monday."

"It's a lot." Alix sighed, taking a seat at their table. "Speaking of which.. Elijah can you read over my Potions homework?"

"Huh? Oh.. Yeah, of course." The boy murmured, pinching the bridge of his nose as he sat down.

"You good?" Felix asked, looking over his friend.

"Yeah, just.. Isn't it a bit weird the way Moody talks? As if he knows something is coming?"

"Like what?" Alix hummed, tilting her head.

Elijah sighed, "I- I don't know. I just.. I'll meet you in Transfigurations?" He didn't wait for a reply before going to the library to write home.

Dear Padfoot & Moony,

Hope you are both well. Feels a little strange missing London, but I can't wait to see you both again. School is going well, lots of homework and lots of excitement for the Triwizard Tournament (don't worry I'm not entering). Our new Dark Arts Professor is Mad-Eye Moody and he's a bit.. Odd to say the least. We've been learning about the Unforgivable Curses. He talks as if something is coming, I know James knows him from work and I was wondering if you two knew much about him. Or if maybe either of you knew of rumours of something coming? I just don't understand why we are learning to resist the Imperius Curse in class unless there is talk of something happening. Is it connected to the World Cup incident? Should we be worried? Is this just normal class work? Maybe I'm just overthinking it all. The dreams still haven't stopped and so I guess I could just be going a little crazy. Anyway, I miss you both.

See you soon,

E.A.L.B

He felt someone sit next to him, turning his head to see Hermione sat beside him. She was looking at him expectantly, though he wasn't sure what she was expecting. He had no bad blood with Harry or any of his friends.. He didn't think he did.

"Can I help you?" he finally asked, putting down his quill.

"Is it true?" she asked.

"Is what true?"

She rolled her eyes as if it was obvious. "You moved out of your parents and changed your name?"

He blinked, wondering what version she'd heard. Whether Harry had painted him out to have abandoned the family or if he'd gone into details. "It is." he nodded.

Hermione was silent for a moment, as if she wanted to say something but wasn't sure if she could trust him. "Has Harry spoken to you?"

Elijah furrowed his brows, "About?"

Again she rolled her eyes, but this time it didn't seem to be directed at him, but over his answer. "You should talk to him. He's been having dreams and saying his scar has been bothering him. I just figured... Given what you said at the Quidditch World Cup that you might be able to understand and help him."

"I don't know if he will even want to talk to me, Hermione."

"Well, you won't know unless you try will you?" She said matter a factly.

"Guess not." he sighed, leaning back in his seat, looking down at the parchment.

There was a small window of silence, but Hermione quickly filled it. "I don't think he's angry... Just hurt. You're his brother though, and he will listen to you."

The boy's eyes flickered up to the girl before nodding, "I'll try." he murmured. His eyes drifted to the small pile of books she had placed on the table in front of her. "Don't bother reading Hugo's Ancient Runes book. It's long, and they have little to say of any relevance or importance. Try Ancient Runes and their Origins by W. Thistle." he said before rolling up his parchment and getting up from his seat.

Hermione glanced down at her books before nodding. "Thanks." she mumbled, looking back to the boy. "You promise you'll talk to Harry."

"I promise I'll try." he nodded, slinging his bag over his shoulder. "I'll see you around, Hermione." he called as he walked out of the Library.

He headed to the Owlery, stepping inside the large room and looking for his owl, Erebus, a Hawk Owl. He was nestled next to Harry's owl, Hedwig. He walked over to them, petting both of them gently before tying the letter to Erebus' leg.

"Get back safe, ok?" he said quietly, smiling as the owl nipped his finger softly. He watched as Erebus spread his wings and flew out of the Owlery with his letter. He gave Hedwig another little pet before leaving himself, heading to Transfigurations.

He moved into the classroom just in time and slid into the seat next to Alix. "Did you see hear about the planned arrival of the other schools?" she asked as soon as he was sat down.

"No, what about them?"

"They arrive in just over a week. We finish class half an hour early on Friday the 30th and have to assemble in front of the castle to welcome the other schools." Alix informed him.

"Well, means we get to have half an hour less of Moody." he hummed, he'd happily take that.He didn't know what it was but something about the Professor just didn't seem right.

"Still not thinking of putting your name in?" She grinned.

"Al, if I was going to enter, you'd be the first to know." he chuckled.

"Ezra and Felix are putting their names in. They are trying to convince Jay." she snickered, shaking her head.

"You not going to?" he asked. He had every ounce of confidence that all his friends would do well in the Tournament, but Alix.. He'd put money on her winning it if she entered. She had a knack for surprising people when they challenged her.

"Absolutely not. I don't need a stupid Tournament to know what I can and can't do. Plus, I am so stressed with all the work load this year that I don't think I'd have the time."

"Perhaps if you and Mr. Lupin-Black spent less time talking and more time focusing on your classes you wouldn't feel so far behind, Miss Avery." Professor McGonagall said from behind them, making them both jump out of their skin. "Five points from Slytherin each. Don't let me catch you talking in class again."

The pair looked at each other and snickered before going back to their notes. Neither of them making a sound the rest of the lesson.

As the week passed all the students could talk about was the Triwizard Tournament, Elijah could hardly step into any room or corridor without it being the topic of conversation. The Weasley twins had cornered him early in the week to ask if he planned on entering. Ezra, Felix and even Lucas was thinking of entering their names. It just seemed to be the only thing on everyones mind. Even the teachers seemed to be bringing it up constantly, though they seemed more stressed than excited.

He was sat eating breakfast with Lucas Friday morning, the other two schools due to arrive later that day. Erebus flew in with the other owls, and landed on his shoulder nipping his ear as he untied the letter from his leg.

"What's that?" Lucas asked.

"I wrote to Sirius and Remus last week.." he paused, remembering his talk with Hermione in the library. He still hadn't spoken with Harry, but he would make sure to do it later that day. He offered Erebus a few small pieces of bacon as he sat on his shoulder.

"Everything ok?" The Hufflepuff asked.

"Yeah.. Sorry, just remembered I need to talk to Harry." Elijah shrugged, unrolling the parchment and quickly reading over the words.

Pup (Remus says I am not allowed to call you Fluffy anymore),

Everything is good our end. We miss having you around the house, I've borrowed a few of your records. Mostly because I am bored of Remus playing Abba every morning and I needed a change before I go insane. How are Prefect duties? I've not got any letters about you getting it taken off you yet? Are you enjoying it? Please, assure me that you are coming up with a plan to get out of it soon. I worry Remus is rubbing off on you, and as much as I love him I'd rather you not be a goody two-shoes like him. As far as we are aware, and the Potters and Weasleys are aware there is no rumours of anything dark at play. Perhaps just precaution. Moody is known for being a bit crazy so perhaps he is just being a little paranoid. Still, it is a little strange that he would be doing such practices in classes. Keep us updated if things escalate. Remus says you shouldn't be learning about Unforgivable Curses until next year. What do you mean he is teaching you to resist the curse? The dreams haven't stopped? What's happening in them? Are you getting any sleep? Poppy might be able to get you some 'Dreamless Sleep' potion if you go see her just so you can get some proper rest. We don't think you are crazy, with everything that's happened over the past few years it would be strange for you not to question it all. We will do all we can our end to find out more and keep you updated. Have fun with all the festivities that comes with the Tournament and write to us to keep us updated with anything big or small. Miss you too.

Padfoot & Moony (aka goody two-shoes)

Snickering at the letter he slipped it into his bag, making a mental note to reply to them later. He gave Erebus one last piece of bacon before he flew out of the hall, back to the Owlery.

"What do you need to talk to Harry about?" Lucas questioned, glancing over to the Gryffindor table. "Have you even spoke to him since you left?"

"No, but Hermione said he is struggling with his scar and nightmares." Elijah shrugged, taking a sip of water. "You good?" he asked.

"Yeah. I just think if he hasn't approached you maybe you shouldn't approach him. I mean would he help you if the roles were reversed?"

The Slytherin boy shook his head, "I'm not playing games like that. I don't think we should base our own actions on what other people would or wouldn't do for us. I'm just going to stay true to who I am, do what I feel is right, because I don't know what anyone else would do if they were me, all I know is what I'm happy to do." he hummed, looking over his shoulder to his brother and his friends before turning back to Lucas.

Lucas let out a soft sigh, "You give too much of yourself sometimes, Elijah."

"I know my limits." He replied, getting up and pressing a soft kiss to the others lips. "I've got to get to Herbology, but I'll see you later."

"See you later." The Hufflepuff murmured, managing a soft smile as he watched the boy walk out of the hall.

The day passed quickly, and before he knew it he was being ushered into the front of the school. Stood tall outside the castle were four statues, one to symbolise each mascot for the houses. Prefects were told to organise their houses with first years at the front, working their way back to the seventh years before standing beside the statues themselves.

The heads of each of the houses came around to check all the students over. Snape wandered around, telling the odd student here and there to straighten a tie, or tidy up their hair or stand up straight. It all seemed like a whole lot of fuss for a whole lot of nothing.

They stood in near silence as they waited, only a few quiet whispers could be heard from a few students as it passed six o'clock.

"How exactly are they meant to be getting here?" Amber whispered to Elijah.

"Carriages maybe?"

"From different countries?" She scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"Well, flying carriages, yes." He replied, turning his head slightly to look her over.

"Seems unlikely."

"Well, if you don't know and I don't know, I guess we will have to wait a few minutes to find out, no?" He asked, raising a brow.

Once again Amber rolled her eyes before going back to looking over the school grounds, clearly not impressed with his answer.

They weren't stood there long before a large figure appeared over the tree line of the Forbidden Forest. The silence suddenly filled with gasps and guesses of what it was.

"It's a dragon!" A Hufflepuff student called.

"It's a floating house!" A Gryffindor called out loudly.

Others around him were guessing in whispers. As it came closer it was easy to make out that it was a gigantic, powder-blue, horse-drawn carriage, the size of a large house, soaring through the sky towards them. It was being pulled by no less than a dozen winged horses, all palominos, and each the size of an elephant.

The first few rows of students all moved back as it hurtled even lower, coming in to land with tremendous speed - landing with an almighty crash making several students jump. The horses huge hooves dug into the wet grounds leaving massive indents in the grass. A second later the carriage landed behind the large animals, bouncing upon its vast wheels. The golden horses tossed their mighty heads back, rolling their fiery-red eyes as they finally were able to rest their wings from their flight.

The carriage door held the schools coat of arms - two crossed, golden wands, etc h emitting three stars. They didn't have long to study it though as the door quickly swung open, and out hopped a boy in pale blue robes, bending forward to fumble with something on the carriage floor before three golden steps lowered from the within. The boy then stepped back respectfully. Elijah watched as a shiny, black, high-heeled shoe stepped forward - it was the size of a child's sled - looking up he saw that it belonged to the largest women he had ever laid eyes upon. He guessed that explained the size of the carriage. She was extremely tall, the only other person he could think of that could match her height was Hagrid. She was a little more well put together than Hagrid though, supporting a black satin dress that complimented her beautiful olive skin, and large, liquid black eyes. Her hair was drawn back into a shining knob at the back of her neck. 

Dumbledore and the other Professors started to clap, the students following their lead. Most students took the opportunity of the loud claps to whisper amongst themselves about the height of the woman and the horses.

The woman wore a gracious smile as she approached Dumbledore, offering a glittering hand to their Headmaster, who was tall himself he seemed to bend to kiss the large hand.

"My dear Madam Maxime," Dumbledore greeted, "Welcome to Hogwarts."

"Dumbly-dorr," she greeted in a deep voice, "I 'ope I find you well?"

"On excellent form, I thank you."Dumbledore replied.

"My pupils," Maxime waved her hand carelessly behind her.

Elijah turned his attention to the students who were now in a well organised line, shivering from the cold, which was unsurprising considering they all seemed to be dressed in pale blue silk robes. No cloaks or anything to protect them from the weather. They all seemed to be looking up at the castle apprehensively. They all seemed to have delicate features, both boys and girls alike.

"'As Karkaroff arrived yet?" The headmistress asked.

"He should be here any moment now," Dumbledore said, "you are welcome to wait with us to greet him, or if you would prefer you can step inside to warm a trifle."

"Warm up, I think," The headmistress nodded, "But, ze 'orses-"

"Our Magical Creatures teacher will be delighted to take care of them," Dumbledore smiled, "the moment he has returned from dealing with a slight situation with one of his other - er - charges."

"My steeds require a forceful 'andling," Madam Maxime hummed, looking as though she doubted any Care of Magical Creatures teacher could be up to the job. "'Ze are very strong..."

"I assure you, Hagrid will be well up for the job."

"Very well," Maxime replied, bowing slightly, "will you, please inform zis 'Agrid zat ze 'orses drink only single malt whisky?"

"It will be attended to." Dumbledore said, also bowing slightly.

"Come," Madam Maxine called to her students, and the Hogwarts crowd parted to allow her and her students to pass up the stone steps to the castle.

"How do you think the Durmstrang students will be arriving?" Amber asked Elijah, "Because I don't think we can fit any more horses of this size on the castle grounds, it will be dangerous to the students."

"If you are scared of the horses, Amber, you can just say that." Elijah grinned, turning to her slightly.

"I am not scared, I just don't like them."

"Makes sense as to why you switched from Care of Magical Creatures to Alchemy then doesn't it?"

"I just didn't want to be taught by that oaf, plus who needs to know about some of the disgusting creatures.." she replied bitterly.

Elijah chuckled, "Well, it would come in handy in situations such as this would it not? Maybe then you wouldn't fear the Abraxan horses, would you?"

"Look there in the lake!" A Gryffindor student called, pointing to the large body of water.

From their position at the top of the lawns overlooking the grounds, they had a clear view of the smooth black surface of water - except that the surface was suddenly not smooth at all. What started as small ripples slowly became more larger before turning into bubbles, making waves wash against the muddy banks. And then from the centre of the lake a large whirlpool appeared, as if a giant plug had been pulled from the bottom of the lake.

What seemed to be a long black pole began to emerged from the heart of the whirlpool, and Elijah spotted the rigging.

"A mast.." he whispered to himself but he felt Ambers eyes on him.

Slowly, magnificently, the ship rose out of the water, gleaming in the moonlight. It had a strangely skeletal look about it, as though it was a resurrected wreck, and the dim, misty lights shimming from its portholes looked like ghostly eyes. Finally, with a great sloshing noise the ship emerged entirely, bobbing on the turbulent water, and began to glide towards the bank. They heard a loud splash as an anchor was thrown to the shallows, and a thud as a plank was thrown down to the ground.

People were disembarking, they could see their silhouettes passing the lights in the ships portholes. As they drew closer, walking up the lawns into the light streaming from the Entrance Hall, Elijah could see that they were far more prepared for the chill of the evening, each of them wearing cloaks made of thick, shaggy fur. The man leading them to the castle wore furs of a different sort; slick and silver, like his hair.

"Dumbledore!" The man called heartily, as he walked up the slope. "How are you, my dear fellow?"

"Blooming, thank you, Professor Karkaroff." Dumbledore replied.

Karkaroff had a fruity, unctuous voice; when he stepped into the light, they saw that he was tall and thin like Dumbledore, but his white hair was short, and his goatee (finishing in a small curl) did not hide his rather weak chin. When he reached Dumbledore he shook his hand with b both of his own.

"Dear old Hogwarts," he said, looking up at the castle and smiling; his teeth were rather yellow, and his smile did not extend to his eyes which remained cold and shrewd. "How good it is to be here, how good... Viktor come along into the warmth.. you don't mind do you Dumbledore? Viktor has a bit of  head cold..."

Karkaroff beckoned forward one of his students. Viktor Krum. The Viktor Krum. As they passed, Viktor and Karkaroff leading the other eleven students from Durmstrang into the castle, the majority of the Hogwarts students broken into whispers of the fact that the famous Quidditch player was staying with them.

"Quidditch boy.. I'll be nice to you for the rest of the year if you introduce me to Krum." Amber said from beside him.

"I don't know him personally, Amber." Elijah laughed as they both led the Slytherin students back into the castle with the other prefects.

"Not yet, but I bet he will talk to you about it. And when he does, mention me." she said smugly.

"We'll see." he smirked, shaking his head.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 27.2K 91
𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚛𝚢 𝚙𝚘𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚒𝚖𝚊𝚐𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚜 ©𝚍𝚡𝚡𝚍𝚢𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎
138K 3.2K 138
⚠️READ AT OWN RISK, THIS WAS ERITTEN WHEN I WAS 14 😭⚠️ NIGHTMARE || ❝ - I've gotta recognise the weapon in my mind - ❞ 【 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘦𝘯𝘥...
24.1K 1.2K 16
𝗜𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗿𝘁𝗵 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝗵𝗮𝗱 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗮 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗳𝗲𝗰𝘁 𝗵𝗲𝗹𝗹, 𝗶𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝗱𝗻'𝘁 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝗽𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗝𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗲 𝗣𝗼𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲...