Phantom Thieves of Hope - A D...

By Creepercraftguy

"Makoto Naegi is the Ultimate Lucky Student as the esteemed school of Hope's Peak Academy. Now beginning his... More

Chapter 1: I am Thou, Thou art I.
Chapter 2: The Rabbit Hole.
Chapter 3: Me, Myself and I.
Chapter 4: Family Values.
Chapter 5: The Highwayman Came Riding...
Chapter 6: Penitentiary of Megalomania
The Phantom Files #1:
Chapter 7: The Warden of Lust
Chapter 8: The World Will Know Our Names...
Chapter 9: The Collective Unconscious
Chapter 10: Ties That Bind.
Chapter 11: Lil' Ultimate Heartbreak
Chapter 12: Detective Done Dirty.
Chapter 13: The Dollhouse of Authoritarianism.
Chapter 14: What Other People Do Not Know.
Chapter 15: Welcome to the Circus.
The Phantom Files #2:
Chapter 16: The Flaw in the Plan.
Chapter 17: The Dollmaker of Pride.
Chapter 18: Affection and Reflection.
Chapter 19: Hot Baths. Warm Hearts. Cold Worlds.
Chapter 20: Idolmaster
Chapter 21: Gifted Juveniles.
Chapter 22: Phantom Muse, Kyoto Blues
Chapter 23: Minority Report.
Chapter 24: Of Two Sisters...
Chapter 25: Shadows of Symphonys
Chapter 26: Sins of the Mother
The Phantom Files #3:
Chapter 27: Gala of Obsession
Chapter 28: Flight Of The Phantom Thief
Chapter 29: The Hostess of Envy.
Chapter 30: Home is where the Heart is.
Chapter 31: Interval of Silence.
Chapter 32: Professional Baggage Carrier
Chapter 34: Makoto Naegi's Incredibly Average Life
Chapter 35: Convergence of Conspiracies
Chapter 36: The Underbelly.
Chapter 37: The Kamukura Project
Chapter 38: My Impurest Heart For You
Chapter 39: The Phantom Knight.
Chapter 40: Archipelago of Apathy.
The Phantom Files #4:
Chapter 41: Ultimate Summer Camp
Chapter 42: The Dares and Decisions of a Detective
Chapter 43: Things I've Never Felt Before
Chapter 44: The Obligatory Chapter where Makoto becomes a Harem Protagonist
Chapter 45: Electric Arcade Boogaloo
Chapter 46: Strange New Places, Familiar Faces
Chapter 47: Smile at Hope in the Name of Despair
Chapter 48: Game Over!
Chapter 49: The Island-Dweller of Sloth
Chapter 50: This is the End, Goodbye Island of Despair
Chapter 51: Wish Upon a Star
Chapter 52: Tomorrow is Another Day.
Chapter 53: Sheltering Tree
Chapter 54: Super School's Stupendous Summer Sports Day.
Chapter 55: Go, Go, Phantom Thieves! Change Their Hearts and all that stuff...
Chapter 56: The High-Jump of Life
Chapter 57: Climactic Sporty Showdown
Chapter 58: The Road to Rehab
The Phantom Files #5: [SOME CITATION NEEDED]

Chapter 33: Phantom Troupe/Study Group

688 14 34
By Creepercraftguy

Wicked Plan - Persona 5

"Th...THIS is Kaede's house!?"

"Oh yeah, I forget this is the first time you've actually been here..."

Makoto, Monomi, Komaru, Toko, and Shuichi all stood outside the gate of Kaede's house. Toko, who had never seen it before, was bewildered, finally letting it sink in the Akamatsu Family's wealth. The others found this very amusing.

"Are you jealous or something? I mean, it makes sense...Bet everyone wishes they could be this filthy rich..." Komaru sighed. Toko shot her a look.

"I AM rich!" Toko snapped, "I write like...5 bestsellers in a month! Why wouldn't I have a lot of money?"

"Oh yeah, that's fair..." Komaru realized, "But...wait...If you've got so much money, what do you spend it on? You said yourself that you didn't have any real hobbies besides reading."

"Look, we're not all anime junkies like you Omaru," Toko scoffed, "unlike you who spends her allowance, I spend my money on the important things. I'm a simple woman."

"Wouldn't know looking at your living spaces..." Makoto remarked, which caused the look to be rounded on him.

"What's THAT supposed to mean!?" Toko snarled.

Makoto didn't say anything. Despite Toko's claim of being simple and not needing random junk, her dorm room somehow still managed to look incredibly cluttered with books and manuscript pages scattered all over the place shoved in uncomfortable piles. Toko had mentioned before that she'd written over 80 novels, so it wasn't crazy to assume that many of those were her own works.

"Still, I am surprised..." Toko rubbed her eyes, "I kind of figured that all their wealth had been made on dirty money, but it does seem like this house has been around for a while...Kai and Kirie must have been rolling in doe back when he was still alive..."

"A lot of it is probably from Kaede as well. She might not have been aiming for fame and fortune, but she probably makes loads off her performances," Komaru suggested, "you've been quite quiet this whole time and you've been here before. What's your take on all this?"

Shuichi didn't seem to be listening. Komaru snapped her fingers in front of his face.

"Huh? Oh, s-sorry..." he turned his reality switch back on and turned to face her, "I was just thinking what we might be eating for dinner..."

"Why is THAT what you care about!?" Komaru exclaimed.

"Huh? Oh, no, it's just...!" Shuichi seemed to snap out of his trance, "the last time I was here, we made some soup for Kirie while she was bedridden, but I didn't have a proper look around Kaede-chan's kitchen. It's pretty big, especially compared to the one at my home."

"Yeah, your apartment's so small the kitchen is basically one-quarter of the living room..." Makoto recalled, "meanwhile this is basically a small mansion, so it's no surprise the kitchen's big. Now that you mention it, I'm also pretty curious about what she's eating here."

"What does she usually eat for lunch?" Monomi asked. Shuichi shook his head.

"Just the meals from the cafeteria. She usually stays in the dorms, so she just eats the food on campus," Shuichi told her, "she DOES seem to have a taste for Dango, Crepes, and Omellete Rice though."

"Mah Girl!" Komaru pumped her fist

"Of course YOU could relate, fatty..." Toko jeered. Now it was Komaru's turn to shoot looks.

"I'm not fat!" she snapped, puffing out her cheeks, "my weight is below average! Like your looks, until recently!"

"Well if we're applying the same logic," Toko hissed through her teeth, "then that's about to change, isn't it!?"

"Ladies, ladies, you're both pretty!" Makoto mocked, "think about it this way. What kinds of meals do you think KIRIE would be getting for her daughter? I mean, THAT lady was high society."

"If I had to guess..." Shuichi pondered, "I'd say a full-course meal at least..."

"You're getting me excited now!" Komaru beamed, with her stomach's growl being audible, "what are you thinking? Like a fancy Japanese dish or something?"

"No, no, it would be something more traditionally foreign," Monomi shook her tiny head, "Kaede has American ancestry, so it's more likely to be Salisbury Steak or maid-made Omurice. Probably with seasonal ingredients."

"I don't think she has maids..." Shuichi scratched his face with a chuckle, "she's not THAT rich."

"You guys have got some nerve, getting excited about dinner..." Toko crossed her arms, "Hah...whatever...Let's just get inside, it's starting to get chilly out here..."

"Come on Toko-chan!" Komaru scoffed, "I can see that drool coming out of your mouth! You're just as excited, aren't you!?"

"Shut up!" Toko snapped back.

She stepped forward and towards the intercom and hit the buzzer. The speaker briefly crackled with sound before a recognizable voice could be heard.

"Hey!" Kaede called out, "you guys finally made it! I'll open the gate!"

Assuming that she'd probably been waiting next to the intercom with anticipation and excitement the entire time before Kaede could hear a response, there was a loud buzzing sound. Abruptly, the gate opened, and they could see the narrow path leading up to the house.

"This feels weirdly familiar..." Komaru remarked.

"I hope my hand doesn't get stepped on this time..." Makoto joked back.

Beneath the Mask [Instrumental Ver] - Persona 5

Kaede greeted everyone excitedly, then single-handedly took everyone's bags and study equipment off of them, carrying them up the stairs to her old bedroom. The house looked surprisingly clean; likely because the pianist had spent the entire day cleaning it.

It occurred to Makoto that this was probably the first time, at least in a long time, that she had ever been able to invite her friends over to stay the night. Abuse and manipulation aside, Kirie had always seemed like a pretty strict parent. Shuichi offered to help out, but Kaede told him not to. She seemed to have everything under control though.

She told everyone to sit down in the living room on the sofas while she finished making her preparations. However, everyone was finding it a little difficult to sit still and not shuffle in place.

Though Toko had never been to the house before, the other Phantom Thieves had only been to the house once, besides Shuichi, and the last time they came, they hadn't exactly had time to make themselves comfy. So now that they were properly being welcomed as guests, as well as staying over for the night, things felt a little...different. A weird sort of different.

Toko, of course, was the first to say it.

"I feel uneasy because I feel so out of place..." she stated.

"Yeah, me too..." Komaru nodded, "see what I mean now?"

"Yeah, I guess..." Toko bit her thumb. As she did, Kaede waddled into the room pushing a trolley with a tray of treats and tea on top; baring a face like sunshine.

"Is everything alright?" she asked, her infectious smile unwavering, "you guys aren't uncomfortable, are you? Is there anything else I can get you?"

Damn that smile...!

"No, not at all~" Makoto, Monomi, Komaru, Toko, and Shuichi all said in unison, beaming right back at her.

Kaede poured and served tea to all of them. While not many of the team drank tea regularly, this blend was really good, even they could tell. Along with some Japanese confections like mochi and pocky, she had also acquired some sweet treats like English biscuits, which lined the tray. Shuichi blushed when Komaru whispered something in his ear, but no one else heard what she said.

"Delicious!" Komaru shoved a small chocolate cake in her mouth, "you really know how to pick these Kaede-chan!"

"Where'd you get all of these?" Toko asked, holding up some caramel chocolates wrapped in pink tinfoil, "I haven't seen this brand of chocolate in stores since I was a little girl."

"Don't worry, they haven't gone off, I made sure to check before I laid them out," Kaede explained, "those actually used to be in the family chocolate box, but...now I'm the only one who really gets to enjoy them. I figured I'd bring them out for you guys!"

"Your family has a chocolate box?" Monomi asked, "why is that?"

"Well, why not? Wouldn't you have a chocolate box if you could?" Kaede beamed.

"I mean..." Komaru shrugged, "she makes a VERY convincing case."

"It was actually Dad's idea originally. It was made to reward the two of us whenever we did our chores or did good deeds. He would take a chocolate after dinner, cut it into four pieces, and distribute one to each of the four of us seated around the table; himself, me, Kaori, and Mom," Kaede explained, starting to chuckle, "I remember Kaori and I used to argue about whose piece was bigger."

Everyone fell silent to picture this in their heads. It was quite a pleasant scene, but clearly, Kaede took the silence the wrong way.

"Oh...crap, I did it again, didn't I?" she laughed in embarrassment, "Sorry, I should stop bringing up depressing stuff...! Do you guys want me to bring out more when we're done?"

"That's nice and all, but I think I'll pass," Komaru smiled, "after all if I eat too much now, I'm not gonna have enough space for our feast!"

"KOMARU!" Makoto punched her in the arm, "Show some TACT, for crying out loud!"

"Huh!? HUH!? Oh! Uh...S-Sorry, that's not what I-!" she stammered, only now realizing what she just said.

"No, you're just talking about dinner, right? Rest assured, I am ON THE CASE!" Kaede triumphantly swung her arm, "I have something really authentic ready!"

"Yes yes yes yes YES!" Komaru and Toko looked toward each other, their eyes sparkling with excitement as they quietly chanted under their breath.

Rise and Shine Ursine - Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

However, expectations were MASSIVELY shot when Kaede suddenly sat down, pulled out her mobile phone, and started scrolling on it. She then flipped the phone screen towards the rest of the group and showed them the home page for a food delivery service.

"Alright, what do you guys want?" she beamed, "whatever floats your boat!"

Yet again there was silence. And yet again, Kaede took it the wrong way.

"Wow...don't get too excited..." she said sarcastically, "are you two alright?"

Toko and Komaru, who had clearly gotten their hopes up, had faltering smiles and dead eyes. Every single shimmering dream of a wonderful feast was crushed within a split second.

"You're...ordering online?" Makoto asked.

"Yeah, of course," Kaede nodded casually, "is that a problem?"

"It's not "a problem" it's just...unexpected, that's all..."

"Oh, don't underestimate it!" Kaede enthused, "These guys are the bee's knees! They're so much different than any other fast food or bento service that you can think of!"

"Uh...is that so...?" Toko forced a smile, though her furrowed brow said all it needed to, "I...enjoy fast food...every once in a while!"

"R-Right!?" Komaru let out a loud chuckle, "It's definitely uuuuuuh...authentic! And good, really good, I'm sure!"

Despite being blinded by bliss, Kaede wasn't ignorant of their unwittingly sarcastic tones of voice and forced merriment.

"What's up with you guys? Don't tell me you thought we were going to have some...fancy dinner or something?" she deadpanned.

"Yeah..." Toko couldn't lie.

"Kinda..." nor could Komaru.

"Oh for goodness sake!" Komaru crossed her arms and huffed, "who do you guys think I am, Sonia Nevermind!? I don't eat like a queen just because my family happens to have a little bit of money in their pockets!"

"Yeah, sorry, we were kind of given the WRONG IMPRESSION!" Toko snarled, glaring at Shuichi with pure malice. The young detective simply kept his teacup to his mouth and diverted his gaze, forcing himself to ignore her.

"Kaede, I hate to pick sides..." Makoto frowned, "but the fancy trolley, tray, and treats weren't helping your case!"

"Ok, that's...fair..." Kaede acknowledged, "But still, I'm not some sheltered, spoiled little rich girl who lives the high life! I-I VERY much enjoy the smaller things! I can eat fast food and do girl talk, and all that junk!"

"Ok, jeez, calm down!" Komaru waved her arms in the air, "Why are you getting so uppity!?"

My Homie - Persona 5

"I...I'm sorry...it's just..." Kaede calmed down, "I don't like these misunderstandings of what kind of person I am. You guys aren't the first people to make expectations of me because of my family background. I know you mean no harm, really, but still, I think you guys underestimate just how much you matter to me. I don't want you to see me for anything more than my status and talents, that's all..."

"We're sorry Kaede," Komaru sobered, "we were just excited to eat dinner in a fancy house is all, but...you're right."

"Oh, Kaede, no...! We weren't trying to distance you from ourselves," Toko sighed with a look of guilt on her face, "you know we're not like those other people. We just set our expectations too high, that's all."

"Well, it is customary for dinner to be prepared by hand when you have guests over for the night. At least that's what my aunt told me," Shuichi considered, "is there any reason why you're opting for delivery?"

"Huh? N-No, not really," Kaede shifted in place, "it's just that Mom usually made dinner whenever I was home, so I never got a lot of chances to order online. So I just wanna enjoy it with you guys tonight!"

"I see..." Makoto lifted his head, coming to a realization, "Does that mean you've never actually cooked your own meals before?"

"Uuuuuh...!?" Kaede's face went slightly pale.

"Oh...I get it..." Komaru's face went flat. Kaede blushed profusely.

"I-It's not that I don't know HOW to do it! I've made my own lunches before, 'cause...why would I? But...yeah, most of the time when I make myself pack lunches, Mom made most of it..." she twiddled her fingers and scowled, "b-but I do make my own egg rolls! A pianist like me has to put effort into what I eat so I look good when I'm on stage!"

"Even if it's just egg rolls?" Toko asked.

"Yes!" Kaede spat back with forced certainty, "Look, let's just say there's a reason why I asked Shuichi to make soup for my Mom."

"But soup is fairly simple. I was just copying my auntie's dish; I even told you the recipe," Shuichi said, "surely it's simple enough, right? I'm not trying to judge, I promise."

"I...*sigh* OK, fine, I guess I can tell you..." Kaede's head drooped shamefully, "The truth is every time I try and cook something myself, or make my own meals...I somehow...kinda...always end up tweaking the original recipe and...make a complete wreck of everything..."

"Ah...That makes a LOT more sense..." Toko held her head in her hand, smirking.

"I understand!" Monomi beamed, "You're merely attempting to create something delectable in your unique style! That is not at all problematic!"

"I wish you were right..." Kaede sighed, "You're giving me too much credit. I guarantee you if you asked me to make you curry right now, you wouldn't be saying that."

"To be honest, I kind of suspected you would be the experimental type..." Makoto chuckled.

"Don't worry Kaede!" Komaru stood up and patted her on the back, "trying to put your own spin on a dish only to end up ruining it is a mistake all beginners make!"

"I know that wasn't an insult, but it sure FELT like one!" Kaede pouted, "You're a good cook Komaru. How did YOU get so good at it?"

"I'm actually pretty mediocre as far as chefs go," Komaru admitted, "usually I just follow the instructions on the box and pick things up as I go along, to the point that it becomes second nature to me. Also, my Mom did teach me a lot of stuff."

"When we were younger, Mom told us that we could eat the leftovers that she kept in the fridge if we ever got peckish," Makoto explained, "sometimes I'd see Komaru take them out and start trying stuff, but she stopped doing that after a while."

"Making things like curry out of leftovers is easy, but making it from scratch requires a fair bit of practice," Komaru explained, "Toko made dinner for me once though! It was good!"

"You cook too, Toko?" Kaede turned towards her. Toko shrugged.

"Only for myself, not really for others. I've lived alone for a long time, so keeping myself fed kind of became an everyday chore. I'm by no means a home chef though," she explained, "but hey, I admit it's enjoyable when Komaru cooks with me."

"Hey! Why don't we do that then!?" Makoto's brain then suddenly popped a great idea.

"Huh? Do...what?" Kaede raised her eyebrows.

"Since we're all here anyway, and since we're talking about home-cooked meals, why don't we try making dinner ourselves?" the Lucky Student suggested, "online delivery is nice, sure, but if we use what we have and make something homemade, I bet that'll be even better!"

"What a splendid idea!" Monomi hopped up and down in her seat, "you really do have a good-thinking brain, Makoto!"

"Come to think of it, I saw lots of ingredients like onions, tomatoes, chicken, and other such vegetables in the stock in the kitchen," Shuichi recalled, "I used some of it to make Kirie's soup, but we could just as easily use it to make a curry dish."

"H-Hold on a second!" Toko got to her feet and stammered, "This is Kaede's house. We can't just say we're going to cook dinner together without her permission."

"Why not?" Kaede beamed, "I think it's a great idea!"

"Huh? Y-You're sure?" Toko stumbled.

"Yeah! It's gonna be like an overnight field trip! It sounds super fun!" Kaede enthused with a big dumb smile on her face.

"Alright then!" Komaru jumped up and dusted off her hands, "Let's get to it team! It's cooking time!"

Beautiful Morning - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

"Ok, so taking a look at the stock, we've got carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, potatoes, chives and onions..." Shuichi counted the ingredients as Kaede laid them out on the kitchen counter, once the team had gathered inside, "these can all go in the mix."

"Ok, if this is what we have..." Kaede examined the ingredients herself, "just checking, but does anyone here know how to handle a chef's knife?"

"I can," Komaru raised her hand, "I prep the vegetables for curry all the time. I also know how to sautéing things too."

"MVP!" Kaede raised her arms excitedly. Komaru flushed, "anything else we might be able to throw in?"

"How about this sweet and sour pork?" Monomi practically buried her head in the freezer before Toko grabbed her and yanked her out.

"Get out of there!" she snarled, "you'll get your stupid fur all over the food!"

"My fur's not stupid!" Monomi sobbed, "It's soft and squeezable!"

"And it's fucking up our dinner!" Toko snapped, "SIT! STILL!"

She dropped Monomi onto the counter, who sat there sulking. Everyone ignored her.

"Well, she's right. Sweet and sour pork will do nicely," Makoto alleviated the situation, "guess all we're missing now is the main meat and curry roux."

"I didn't see any of those in stock," Shuichi explained, "we won't be able to make curry without them though."

"That's ok! I'll just go and buy some!" Kaede smiled, "There's a supermarket I pass by whenever I walk from my home to Hope's Peak. I can get the stuff we need from there."

"If you're going shopping, let me come with you," Makoto offered, "we'll have an easier time finding the ingredients that way."

"Oh come on Naegi-senpai, I'm not a child," Kaede puffed her cheeks, "besides, you guys are the guests here tonight. I'll go on my own. You guys relax, have tea, and have a look around if you want. You can go in that other room to try out your futons!"

"Are you sure?" Makoto asked, "it's really not that I don't trust you, I just-"

"If Kaede wishes to go by herself, why not let her?" Monomi asked, "besides, if it's just meat and roux we need, we don't need two pairs of hands to get it."

"I guess you're right..." Makoto sighed, "Well, can we trouble you then?"

"Of course! Leave it to me!"

Beautiful Lie - Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

Kaede set out to go buy the ingredients, and once she did, the rest of the Phantom Thieves set out to have a look around the house.

"This house is very clean..." Monomi observed, "I didn't get a good look last time but save for that storage staircase, it's rather tidy for someone who lives alone. There's not even much dust."

"Kirie always did seem like a bit of a clean freak..." Makoto acknowledged.

There were three bedrooms on the upper floor, which seemed to be for Kaede, Kaori, and both their parents. Aside from the kitchen, there was a rather large living room next door to it where Kaede had already taken the liberty of laying out 5 futons for everyone. Makoto assumed he would be cuddling up with Monomi that night.

In particular, Komaru and Toko were interested in seeing Kaede's bedroom, and the other three, Shuichi, Makoto, and Monomi, decided to follow them. Shuichi didn't think it was a good idea, but Kaede HAD told them to explore at their leisure.

Kaede's room was very clean; a lot cleaner than it had looked the last time the group had come here, and the accessories and everything were very stylish. As was to be expected from someone like her.

Komaru rather brashly started poking around her bed while Toko examined her shelves. Komaru took a look underneath her bed covers to see what was hiding under there, but she suddenly jumped back up with a blushing face.

"Whoops!" she said, chuckling nervously, "probably shouldn't be looking under there!"

"You just found a lewd magazine or something, didn't you?" he deadpanned.

"Nooooo?" Komaru tried and miserably failed to play dumb. Shuichi shook his head.

"It's fine...Kaede's not exactly shy about her "preferences"," he told her, "she's very dainty and cute most of the time, but she talks like a perverted old man..."

"While I believe that, knowing Kaede as a character," Makoto crossed his arms, "if you were to tell the inexperienced and unfamiliar that, I doubt they would believe you."

"I know, right?" Komaru added, "Kaede's always had this powerful air about her. She's charming, beautiful, and...dare I say sexy, but she also has a sharp and completely different impression from her usual self. When she's hanging out with us, she has this smiling and cute demeanor, and sometimes even acts a little clumsy, but when we're in the Metaverse fighting, she's cooler and...dignified. I'm not sure if that's the right word."

"Wait a second...!" Toko suddenly gasped, and her body became stiff. Everyone's heads turned towards her.

"What's the matter?" Makoto exclaimed.

"I had a feeling that something was off earlier, and now I think I know what it is...!" her voice trembled, but in a different way than normal, "Kaede said she was going to the supermarket, right?"

"Yes...That's supposedly where she is now, no?" Monomi asked.

"Well, what she said earlier..." Toko scratched her chin, recalling their conversation, "Kaede said the store she was going to is one she passed by whenever she went to school. Those were her exact words, right?"

"Yes...that's right..." Makoto frowned, "what are you implying?"

"She also said that Kirie is usually the one who made her dinner and packed lunches, right? So reasonably, Kirie would ALSO be the one picking up groceries..." Toko theorized, "since Kaede said she's only ever walked past the store, you don't think this is the first time she's ever been inside it, right?"

Everyone froze as the reality of her point began to sink in.

Junk Food for a Dashing Youth - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

"You're not saying..." Komaru's eyes widened, "that this is the first time she's ever run an errand before...!?"

"N-No, that CAN'T be the case!" Makoto stammered, "Kaede said herself that she wasn't THAT sheltered!"

"Right!" Shuichi forced a smile, "e-even so, she's not an idiot! I'm confident in her keen eye!"

"Everyone! I'm back! I bought the stuuuff!"

Kaede's familiar voice called out from downstairs; her sudden arrival startling everyone.

"Oh god..." Toko trembled, "I probably shouldn't have said anything-GUUAGH!"

"TOKO!?" Komaru exclaimed! And reasonably so too! In her nervousness, Toko leaned back and accidentally leaned against the handle of Kaede's closet. Once she did, the door clicked open, and a GARGANTUAN PILE of clothes suddenly poured out, burying the Ultimate Writing Prodigy underneath it!

Kaede naturally heard the complication and rushed up the stairs with her grocery bag, bursting like a madwoman into the room and seeing the display.

"Toko-senpai!? Are you ok!?" she exclaimed.

"Clothes...heavy...Can't...breathe...!" she choked.

"Ah! I'm sorry!" Kaede scrambled as she and Komaru quickly dug her out of her fabric-infused grave, "I didn't have time to tidy up, so I just stuffed all my clothes and bags in my closet! I-I'll move them right away!"

"Kaede-chan..." Komaru gave her an unsure smile, "are you actually someone who's normally really messy?"

"I told you guys..." Shuichi sighed. Kaede's mortified face went bright red.

"Uuuugh! Please keep it a secret...!" she begged.

Toko soon completely recovered and the group went back downstairs to start preparing dinner. And no sooner did she take the ingredients out of the bag that the group IMMEDIATELY noticed something off. They all stared at the prime cut of meat that she dumped on the table, pristine in quality and juicy to even the eye.

"What!? What's wrong!?" Kaede exclaimed, starting to panic as she saw everyone's faces, "is something wrong with the meat?"

"Uh...No...Nothing's WRONG with it..." Makoto giggled nervously, "It's just...you didn't HAVE to get the super expensive brand, you know?"

"Is it really that expensive?" Kaede asked, "It was only 1000 yen more dear than the other. Mom usually buys this cut for our meals, so I just thought it was the standard quality!"

"God DAMN YOU CAPTITALISM!" Komaru clenched her teeth and cursed.

"So much for not being a sheltered rich girl..." Toko spat. Kaede scowled at her. Both girls, however, suddenly noticed that Shuichi was groaning with a sour look on his face.

"The meat is fine and all...The price doesn't really matter so long as we can afford it..." he muttered, "the real issue is..."

He reached down, picked up what was SUPPOSED to be the Curry Roux, and dropped it on the kitchen table.

"Are you KIDDING ME!?" Toko shrieked.

"Huh!? What!? WHAT!?" Kaede flustered, "Did I buy the wrong thing!? What's wrong!?"

"Kaede, we need Curry Roux to make homemade curry," Shuichi pinched the bridge of his nose, "you've bought Curry Béchamel..."

"And the difference is?" Kaede sweated nervously.

"A roux is a thickening agent used in sauces that is typically made up of equal parts butter and flour. A béchamel is a sauce made USING a roux with the addition of usually milk," Monomi clarified, "this provides you with a simple white sauce that can serve as a foundation for a variety of other creamy sauces made with cheese, parsley, mushrooms, onions, and other ingredients."

"In short, we can't use it..." Makoto sighed.

"Oh shit...!" tears began to form at the edge of Kaede's eyes, "I-I just grabbed whatever box had a picture of curry on it! I'm sorry!"

"What do we do?" Toko asked, "do we go out and buy some more?"

"I don't think we can," Shuichi sighed, "the stores usually shut around this time at night. If Kaede or any of us go back now, we won't make it in time."

"Then...what now!?" Komaru groaned.

"I-I'm so sorry...!" Kaede groaned.

Makoto thought for a minute as he looked over at the despaired faces of his companions. He racked his brain to try and think of a way to get out of this...honestly not a dire situation, but it certainly felt like one, since the evening plans were already going to the pot...

...The pot...That's it! 

New World Order - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

"Guys!" Makoto jumped up, a huge smile on his face, "I've got a great idea!"

"Huh? You do?" Shuichi, and all the others, looked towards him eagerly. Makoto turned towards his sister.

"Hey Komaru, do you remember what happened the other evening when Kotoko came home from school after having a bad day?" he asked.

"Yeah, she lost one of her favorite ribbons after P.E. She was really hung up about it," Komaru recalled, "fortunately they managed to find it the next day, but it's the second most upset I've ever seen her."

"But do you remember what you did to try and cheer her up once she came home crying?" he smirked. Komaru thought for a moment.

"Yeah...Mom and I made her a fresh Beef Stew for her to cheer her up-AH!" the gears suddenly clicked into place, "I get it now!"

"Yeah!" Makoto gave her a thumbs up, "We might not be able to make curry with the Béchamel, but we CAN use it to make Beef Stew instead!"

"Can we even do that?" Kaede raised her eyebrows.

"That should be very possible!" Monomi beamed, "meat, carrots, potatoes, onions...Those ingredients can go into both Curry and Beef Stew! What a genius idea!"

"Ahaha...It's not what I would call "genius" but...thanks..." he flustered, "anyway, is everyone in favor of that?"

Nobody objected.

"In that case," Kaede beamed, "I'm leaving it up to you to carry us Komaru!"

"Heck yeah!" Komaru pumped her fist, "I've always wanted to be head chef in a fancy kitchen like this! Everyone, just follow my lead!"

Beautiful Days - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

The group set out to work, and Makoto helped Komaru to divide the tasks between them. He and Kaede would be in charge of chopping the vegetables, Shuichi would peel the chives, Toko would handle the onions and peppers, and Komaru herself would simmer the meat. Monomi sat on the side and helped direct the others since she couldn't really use her paws to help out, and she'd probably get her fur over all the ingredients.

Things started off pretty simple. Makoto kept shooing Monomi away as she kept repeatedly almost giving in to her urges to munch on the carrots, Toko started crying her eyes out as she cut the onions, no matter how hard she tried to hold them back, and Shuichi remained quiet, stern and focused as he peeled the chives. Slowly, everyone started to fill Komaru's simmering pot with the other ingredients, which she stirred into the mix with a smile.

Kaede came over to check up on the stew, and she immediately felt herself salivating. She grabbed a pair of chopsticks and poked them into the pot.

"That looks so good!" she squealed, "can I have a bite!?"

"No, you can't!" Komaru smacked her hand, "You will eat it when it is finished!"

"Hmph...cheapskate..." Kaede pouted. She prepared to head back to the vegetables, but Komaru stopped her.

"Hey, before you go...do you have a minute?" she asked.

"Sure, what's the matter?" she asked.

"Nothing really," Komaru admitted, "I just figured I'd pull you aside once I had you. I've been meaning to say a couple things that I never got the chance to."

"Oof...Sounds heavy," Kaede rubbed her shoulder, "alright, lay it on me sister."

"Let's go somewhere more private while I let the meat cook," Komaru suggested, "I kinda want this to be private."

Kaede was curious, but also a little bit confused. If Komaru wanted this conversation to be private, or if she wanted to vent about something, that was fine and all, but why go to HER? Wouldn't she trust Toko or even Makoto more with her baggage?

Nevertheless, she quickly signaled to Shuichi and the others that they were taking a break to chat, and the others kept working on the meal. Kaede took Komaru into the living room, then slid the sliding door out to the back garden to let them get some fresh air.

"Aaaah...The cool night air does wonders for me after I've been all hot and sweaty in the kitchen," wiping her forehead, Komaru inhaled deeply of the clean air, "and this garden scenery makes it so much better!"

"I'm glad you like my house," Kaede told her, "and I'm really glad I get to have my actual friends around for the first time."

"You've never invited your classmates over?" Komaru asked. Kaede shook her head.

"I intend to, obviously," she said, "but so far, only Shuichi has gotten that privilege. Other than some old friends from elementary and middle school that I don't really hang out with anymore that is..."

"I know how that feels..." Komaru sighed, "But it's not a problem anymore. You've got us now, and your classmates, and we're gonna stick together for sure. In fact, I think this is the most we've gotten along ever since we established ourselves as a group."

"Considering that was a big part of why I invited everyone around, I'm glad to hear you say that," Kaede smiled back, "but anyway, you needed me for something? What's up?"

"Well, the thing is..." Komaru suddenly became somewhat bashful, "I really wanted to thank you...It's a bit overdue..."

Heartless Journey - Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

"Hm?" Kaede tilted her head, "what for? If it's about the Palace and everything, then don't worry about it. I had my own reasons for fighting there. And I'm glad we work so well together as a team!"

"Thanks, but...that's not it. The thing is..." she scratched her head, "Toko...she...really likes you..."

"Huh!? Oh, no, I'm sorry!" Kaede suddenly panicked, "I-I'm not trying to steal your girlfriend or anything!"

"GAH-GAG-!? GIRLFRIEND!?" Komaru spluttered "Wh-wh-what are you talking about!? Th-That's not it at all!"

"Huh? It's not?" Kaede frowned, "That's weird...I could've sworn the two of you were..."

"We're NOT! We're just...very close friends...!" she flamed up, "Th-that doesn't matter anyway! That's not what I meant!"

"Then what did you mean?" Kaede asked. Komaru took another deep breath as she composed herself.

"The thing is...up until now, I've basically been the only person who Toko has ever really considered a true friend," she explained, "but ever since she met you, she's changed a lot. In a good way I mean. And I don't just mean with the makeover you gave her. Though she'd never outright admit this, she cares a lot about you and wants to look out for you, and even she's not sure why. But she values you and holds you in high regard because you're such a genuinely kind person."

"I'm...flattered to hear that..." This time it was Kaede's turn to become bashful, "but...why are YOU thanking me for it?"

"A lot of people get the wrong impression of me, and think that I'm a pretty casual person who doesn't really have many cares or responsibilities that I can handle...But recently, that couldn't be further from the truth, and I honestly wish that was the case..." Komaru admitted.

"You mean...with Kotoko-chan?" Kaede asked, "you are technically her official guardian right now..."

"Not just with Kotoko-chan. After that whole thing happened, Toko began to open up to us, including me, more. And hearing the things that she's been through in the past, I couldn't help but feel ashamed that we hadn't met sooner," Komaru explained, looking up into the evening sky, "even now, I feel that I can't always be there for Toko when she's alone or in pain, as much as I want to be by her side."

She turned towards Kaede with a somber smile.

"But the good news is that she doesn't just have me to depend on anymore. She has someone even greater than me," she said, "Toko's lucky and glad to have you in her life, and for that, I really wanted to thank you Kaede-chan."

"Komaru..." Kaede returned the somber gesture, warmed but also saddened by her words, "you really need to stop putting yourself down like that. I could never dream of being someone who Toko loves as much as she loves you. I'm more than willing to be her friend, but I bet you she knows that even if we weren't friends, you're all she'll ever need."

"I told you, we aren't like that...!" Komaru scowled, "but...thanks for saying that. Even so, can I trouble you to help me keep an eye out on Toko? Oh, and Shuichi too."

"Shuichi?" Kaede's eyes widened, "wh-what about him?"

"Because he's the same as Toko. Not in as bad a place probably, but these days he seems so much happier spending time with you, especially now that you're a Phantom Thief too," Komaru explained, "I don't mean to snitch or pry, but when you were in trouble, he climbed every challenge just for the sake of getting you out of a bad situation. And not just because you were suffering like he was. Because you make him a much better, happier person, and he respects you even more than Toko does. And as someone who's come to really value his insight...please keep taking care of him for me."

"Ah...Ahahaha!" Kaede beamed, "of course! And it's not just them I want to help. I value your happiness as well Komaru. I like it when you smile, and I hate seeing you when you're down. So I promise that I'm always going to be there for you if you are. I hope you understand that."

"Ugh...the rizz on this one is too strong...!" Komaru jokingly raised her arms to block Kaede like she was emanating light, "but...thanks. I mean it."

Beautiful Dead - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

"Hey, try and siphon those out a little bit...If you put too many in, it might make the broth too fattening."

"A-Ahh...right, I'm sorry..."

"Didn't Kaede say you made soup here before? Stew's not too different from that; you should be fine with this process."

"Sorry...truthfully, outside of soup, I'm not really that good at cooking. My Aunt Tsubaki usually makes us meals."

"Well, this can be a learning experience. At the end of the day, stew is just meat and vegetables in a pot with a little seasoning. Nothing too major, you should be fine."

While Kaede and Komaru stepped out to have their conversation, Shuichi and Toko kept at it, with Toko overseeing Shuichi's work with the peppers and chives. Frankly, he wasn't doing a great job, even though he was trying his best, so she was forced to lend him a hand.

"Also, not to sound like some over-the-top angry British chef, but can you not use the knife like that?" Toko observed, "I'm half a serial killer, and even I think that's a dangerous way to cut things!"

"Huh? I-Is it really that wrong?" Shuichi exclaimed, "My aunt always told me I should hold the food like a cat paw with my fingers towards my palm. Is that wrong?"

"That's not the problem!" Toko snapped, "It's dangerous to swing it around like that. It's a knife, not an axe! Watch me do it. You pull the knife in this manner along the curve of your finger..."

Shuichi patiently watched as Toko stroked the knife across the food and calmly and carefully cut it, much more effectively than he was portraying.

"I see...I'll give that a try," Shuichi retrieved the knife, "thank you for the insight, Toko-senpai. As always, it was very useful."

"Quit buttering me up..." Toko blushed, "this is pretty standard. Honestly, I really did think that your Aunt would have taught you SOME basic cooking skills."

"As much as I would have liked that, Aunt Tsubaki can be a bit of a worrywart..." Shuichi told her, "She's afraid to let me in the kitchen because she doesn't want me anywhere near the knives. In fact, it took my Uncle a fair while to convince her to let me use scissors..."

"I mean, it's not like I don't get that...But jeez. You're not gonna be a little boy forever..." she sighed.

"I'm not a little boy NOW!" Shuichi humphed, "I'm a year younger than you, not some pre-schooler!"

"Cool it, I was joking!" Toko chuckled, "though to be honest, that does remind me of something I've been wanting to ask you..."

"What might that be?" Shuichi inquired.

"You've been living with Shinichi and Tsubaki since you were a boy, right? Because your parents were so distant?" she recalled.

"That's right," Shuichi affirmed, "what of it?"

"It's nothing major or anything, but..." she elucidated, "have they always been like that?"

"What do you mean "like that?"" he asked.

"Well, I mean...overwhelmingly positive, upbeat, and loveable?" she said, "they seem to pamper you quite a bit, with what little they had before I mean..."

"May I inquire as to why you're asking me about this?" he asked.

"No reason really," she said, "it's just...there's been a lot of family talk lately...Kaede's Mom was our last target...Makoto and Komaru's parents were almost her victims...I'm just curious how things are with you...You don't really talk to yours anymore, do you?"

"No...In fact, I can barely remember what my parents' faces look like," Shuichi confessed, "they come back to Japan at least once a year, and they send letters or phone calls at least once a month to us...The harsh truth is they're not present enough in my life for me to actually care..."

He put down the knife and looked up to the ceiling like he was reflecting on her words.

"I may have only ever been a trainee, but growing up, I took detective work seriously. I figured working hard was the only way to earn good rewards," he told her, "but my Uncle...he's incredibly carefree and he kind of moves around, does things and takes cases as he pleases and without thinking...When I was a young boy, it frankly infuriated me...!"

"Yeah, that sounds like it could annoy even someone with your patience..." Toko chuckled.

"I did try and talk some sense into them a few years back, but since then I've given up trying," he forced a smile as he scratched his head, "granted, that wasn't just because I realized I was never going to get through to them. It's because once I grew up, I began to realize that those two had been more parents to me than my actual parents had been. After everything that happened with Kirigiri, I knew for certain, but even before then I always thought they were just caring about me in their own unique way...It may be frustrating at times to see them be so casual about even the most concerning things, but I would have lived a totally different life if Shinichi and Tsubaki Saihara hadn't been part of it."

"I see..." Toko nodded, "alright, thanks for answering honestly...Just wondering..."

"Toko..." Shuichi crossed his arms, "forgive me for the implication, but this has nothing to do with your own parents and upbringing, is it?"

"Do you really think I would brag about having the worst group of parents here? That's hardly praiseworthy," Toko frowned, "then again...I guess it's not exactly true either..."

"Oh?" Shuichi caught this last part, "what do you mean by that?"

"Honestly, I've been thinking about it, and I've realized that I don't actually have that many bad experiences with my Father..." Toko explained, "Unlike my Mom's he never abused me or did anything bad to me...But then again, that was a problem in and of itself for me."

"He was neglectful?" Shuichi asked.

"Something like that. It's more like he was afraid to stand up to my Mom's, or he didn't want to get involved in their business with me...To the point that he never tried to comfort me even when we were alone. He just acted like I wasn't there," she said, "things kind of changed when I started to show signs of D.I.D though, albeit by that point it was too late. Genocide Jill had already been born and claimed many lives..."

"Changed how?" Shuichi asked, "What did he do?"

"Basically, he wrote an appeal to some government offices. He legally disowned me as both his daughter and the daughter of those two women so they didn't have to look after me anymore," she clarified, "granted, it was probably just so the blame for my crimes wouldn't bounce back onto him, but the agents I was assigned to at least took good care of me in getting my feet off the ground. I made money from my books and became pretty busy enough to care for myself, to the point where I never really had to see my family ever again. Even if it was done with selfish intent, I'm grateful for that..."

Toko awkwardly fiddled with her long purple hair.

"Still, that doesn't mean it makes everything ok, I know that...It wasn't really an act of love, so I was pretty void of all that..." she added, "Hope's Peak was one of the first times I'd ever been in an environment I considered comfortable, with people around me who actually cared about me, but I blew them off thanks to past experience and started treating the world like it was my enemy...That is...until Komaru came along..."

"You really are close with her, aren't you?" Shuichi smiled, "It's like she's the sister you never had..."

"Yeah...She doesn't show it an awful lot, but she can be brutally honest when she needs to," Toko explained, "in fact, we spent most of the time after we first met arguing, but...that might have actually been a good thing. For me, it meant that she wasn't being facetious with me. She was saying what was on her mind and meant it, and that's kind of how we got to be close."

"I suppose you and I are similar in that regard," Shuichi considered, "both my aunt and uncle and Komaru...Their kindness gave us the opportunity we needed to change our lives and decide who we wanted to be. I don't think I would even be the Ultimate Detective if my Uncle hadn't raised me well in that kind of environment...And that's not even mentioning Makoto..."

"Makoto?" Toko shot a cursory glance over to the Lucky Student, who was talking about how to separate the ingredients cleanly with Monomi; not really paying them any attention, "what about him?"

"I was one of the people who the Phantom Thieves have saved...and they've gone on to inspire me to be braver with my actions, be more outgoing and...it's a big reason as to why I was able to meddle in Kaede's problems, even if it wasn't any of my business," Shuichi explained, "and as the leader of the Phantom Thieves and an icon of that philosophy, I have to thank Makoto-senpai...I wouldn't be who I am without him..."

"Well, I do have to admit, I feel the same way," Toko sighed, "not just because he's Komaru's brother, but for me, Makoto is someone who you can easily look up to. I think Kyoko put it best..."

"What did Kyoko-sama say?" Shuichi asked.

"Well, she felt that Makoto's strength comes from his unusual amount of optimism and determination," Toko explained, "and he can convince others to act with a positive mindset simply by spreading that hope to them. I think even SHE'S jealous of that kind of talent."

"Jealously isn't how I'd describe it," Shuichi considered, "it's more like aspiration than envy, at least to me."

"Well, I get that, but also..." Toko explained "it does surprise me that such a gift of charisma can be found in someone who's honestly a little dense and absentminded. Not in a way that makes him insensitive obviously..."

"I suppose you're right," Shuichi acknowledged, "you wouldn't get that feeling from actually spending time with him though, much less seeing him in action in the Metaverse..."

"See!" Toko grinned, "that overwhelming level of charm in someone who doesn't know what to do with it? It's honestly unfair, and-Wait...do I smell something burning?"

Toko called this last part out, and Makoto's eyes immediately went wide with panic...!

"AAGH! I WAS GRILLING A FISH!" he squealed, running over to the grill, which was billowing smoke and bursting with flames!

"QUICK! WATER! WE NEED A BUCKET OF WATER!" Shuichi panicked, running around the counter and turning on the tap!

"That'll make things even more catastrophic!" Toko cried, "DON'T!"

"What the hell is going on here!?" Komaru cried as she and Kaede came running back into the kitchen.

Cool Morning - Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

Everyone regrouped in the kitchen as Komaru turned the heat off. Fortunately, Makoto's fish incident aside, everything else seemed to be going well.

She stuck a ladle into the stew and picked up a small piece of it, with everyone watching intensely. Then, she smiled and gave them a thumbs up.

"Yeah! It's perfect!" she cheered.

With everyone's spirits lifted, Shuichi and Toko set about laying the table as Komaru dished up the food. There were 6 seats around the table, and each one had 5 bowls placed in front of them. The meal consisted of beef stew, rice, miso soup, some fruits like tangerines on a small plate in the middle, and a bowl of string beans.

"Woah! It looks so good!" Kaede beamed, her eyes twinkling.

"It would have been much nicer with fish on the side..." Makoto grumbled.

"Oh, quit your bitching!" Toko snapped, "It's your own fault! Honestly, with what we had to work with, I'm surprised it turned out so well."

"The miso soup and vegetable side dishes really bring it together," Shuichi smiled, "thank you so much Komaru! You're an excellent cook!"

"Oh, well, thanks, but this was a team effort...It's more fun when we do it together..." She became quite bashful all of a sudden, "As for the side dishes, that was actually Monomi's idea."

"We could have just as easily put the string beans and extra chives in the stew with the rest of the vegetables." Monomi explained, "The table would look much nicer with a second dish instead, and given the traditional setting, Miso Soup was merely a given-Wha-!? Hey! I'm not done yet!"

This outburst was prompted as Kaede sat down and already began to stuff her face with rice before anyone else even had a chance to take their seat. Monomi snapping at her caused her to drop her rice back into the pot with a splat.

"That's right Kaede!" Komaru asserted, "we can't start eating, we have to say grace first!"

"That's not what I meant!" Monomi groaned, "ugh, it doesn't matter...! Let's just eat..."

Makoto, Shuichi, Komaru, Toko, and Monomi took their seats at the table as well, and naturally, as the leader, Makoto initiated.

"Alright, everyone, hands together," he said, "thank you for the food!"

"Thanks for the food!" everyone chanted after him. And thus, they finally began to eat.

"Mmm! Delicious!" Monomi's nose twitched with delight.

"Yeah! It's really good!" Makoto beamed, "I can't remember the last time I had beef stew that tasted like this, if I ever have!"

"That's some good quality meat right there!" Komaru asserted, "you'd better savor that flavor!"

This was a weird feeling for Kaede Akamatsu. Not weird in the sense that she hadn't ever felt this way before, but that it had been a very long time, and she had almost forgotten this feeling.

She couldn't recall the last occasion when she'd shared such a lively meal with anyone other than her mother at the table. Being seated at such a large table with the people she loved and the people who loved her was a comfort. It enhanced the flavor of the already high-quality meat.

"Oh...Kaede-chan! Hold still for one second..."

Kaede heard Shuichi call her name, and she snapped back to reality. She was taken aback when he abruptly reached over, picked at her mouth, and then placed his fingers inside his mouth.

"You had some rice on your cheek," he explained, "just figured I'd take care of that. Hm? What's wrong?"

"N-Nothing...th-thank you..." her face went bright red. Shuichi then turned his head to see everyone else around the table smirking at him.

"Smoot Shu~" Komaru remarked.

"You did that so casually!" Makoto smiled, "I'm impressed."

"Huh!?" Shuichi's face went red as he finally realized what it was that he'd actually just done, "w-wait a second! I wasn't trying to-!? I mean I-!? It's not like I-!?"

"Shuichi, it's fine!" Kaede assured him, "I know you didn't mean anything by it; just ignore them!"

Things went pretty quiet after that. There were some talks around the table about random things until everyone had finally finished eating. Komaru leaned back in her chair and patted her belly.

"Aaah...I really outdid myself this time!"

"I'll say," Makoto smiled, "anyway, it's getting late, so I think we should consider taking a bath and getting ready for bed."

"Then it's a good thing I heated the bath in advance~" Kaede cheered, "it's filled and ready! Who wants to go first?"

"Won't it take a long time if we all go in one at a time?" Toko asked.

"Then why don't we go in together?" Komaru suggested, "We girls can go in one group, and the boys can go after us."

"Why do you get to go first!?" Makoto snapped.

"Because the first bath is the best! Duh!" Komaru teased.

"My bathroom is fairly big, but it's not big enough to fit all of us at once," Kaede said, "I think it can probably fit two people at a time. Even so, I was planning on doing the cleaning up and washing the dishes."

"Wait, let me help you with that," Shuichi chimed in "We'll get it done faster if we work together."

"Well, if that's the case, then Toko and Komaru can go first," Makoto stated, "I was gonna check out the beds and try and organize things a little bit more."

"Sounds great!" Komaru gave a thumbs up, "Come on Toko-chan! Let's go!"

"Fine..." Toko smiled quietly, "So long as it's with you, I can manage..."

Monomi hopped into Makoto's hood and walked into the room where the futons had been set up, decided to take his time cleaning the room and making sure everything was comfortable. Meanwhile, Shuichi stacked the plates and dishes and brought them into the kitchen, over to the sink, where Kaede was already waiting for him.

She donned an apron and gave one to Shuichi himself to work with. She smiled at him warmly, and the two set to work.

"So...is there any particular reason why you were so eager to help me with the dishes?" she asked.

"It's not what you think..." Shuichi blushed, "you don't have to feel bad about-"

"That's not what I meant..." Kaede cut him off, "Honestly, I'm really grateful. Things could have gone very wrong it if wasn't for you guys' help tonight...And even before now, I've come to rely on you a lot...We might not have known each other for very long, but I've already picked up on a lot of your quirks and queues..."

She turned her head towards him.

"I just get the weird feeling you've been trying to talk to me privately all night." she told him, "did something happen?"

Shuichi sighed. He didn't stop brushing but put most of his focus into thinking and talking.

Darkness Time - Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

"I was asked not to tell you this, but I figured you had a right to know about it...So I wanted an opportunity to open up..." the detective admitted, "your sister came to visit the Saihara Detective Agency yesterday..."

"Kaori!?" Kaede gasped, nearly dropping the bowl she was cleaning, "why did she go to the SDA? How did she even find you?"

"We talked at the Tokyo Dome the night we defaced it," Shuichi explained to her, "My home doubles as my Uncle's Detective Agency, so it wasn't that difficult to track us down once she knew my name and occupation. She didn't come looking for trouble if that's what you're thinking..."

"No, I know..." Kaede shuddered, the reveal shocking her a fair bit, "what did she come asking about?"

Shuichi paused for a moment, finishing scrubbing a dish before he placed it on the side.

"She wanted to know..." his voice was shaky, "if there was any way I could help her...pay a visit to Kirie in prison."

Kaede ACTUALLY dropped the bowl this time, but fortunately, it didn't break as it bounced in the sink.

"Easy!" Shuichi frantically reached out to grab it and steady her hands.

"Sorry! You just...caught me by surprise is all...!" she forced herself to be composed, "Kaori really wanted to visit Mom? What did you tell her?"

"I told her that as a small private detective agency, we alone couldn't really make such a meeting happen on our own influence, especially given the two's rough history to consider," he explained, "but thankfully, due to my ties with the KDA and Kyoko-sama being my senpai and mentor, we were able to pull some strings."

"So...what happened?" Kaede was extremely eager to know more.

"Well...Kirie let her see her. I went with her to make sure things went alright in the end, or to calm her down in case things started to get heated. You know what she's like," Shuichi explained, "but in the end, it didn't really come to that. They just...talked...Not a lot, but still."

"I see...I didn't know that...It makes sense that Kaori wanted to keep it secret, tsundere that she is..." Kaede chuckled, "Do you know exactly what they talked about?"

"I didn't want to impose on their conversation unless I had to," Shuichi smiled, "but I remember hearing Kaori say that...if she felt like it...she'd try and write letters to her, or come talk with her again every once in a while...All things considered, it was a pretty passive conversation."

Kaede looked down at the sink and her hands that were covered in suds.

"I...I had no idea she would even think of doing something like that...much less behind my back..." tears began to form at the corners of her eyes, "the last time I saw her, I..."

"What happened?" Shuichi asked.

"Well, before she got arrested, Mom made a dinner reservation for the two of us. After all was said and done, I went to the restaurant with Kaori instead, and the two of us had a chance to talk after so many years," Kaede explained, "we only talked about her briefly, but at the time, Kaori seemed indignant about leaving her behind."

"What did she say...?" Shuichi was nearly afraid to ask. Kaede sighed and flashed back to that moment.

[THE OTHER DAY...]

"Look. Kaede, I'm not gonna say you're dumb for thinking like that...But it's not that simple for me, y'know?"

"Kaori..." Kaede sighed. Kaori shook her head.

"Don't try and change my mind on this," she growled, "I know I fucked up. I know I did and said some things that were shitty, and I'm all for trying to make amends for that..."

She clenched her cutlery tightly to the point that her fist started to shake.

"For some reason, it seems like you're already willing to forgive her...But in my mind, there's nothing that can stop me from seeing her for the crazy, deranged, manipulative bitch that she is...!" she stammered, "the Phantom Thieves may have gotten to her, and even if it does seem like she's changed, she hasn't changed at all! Even if she's decided to stop all this crap and make amends, it doesn't just automatically make all the pain OK! The neglect...the pain...what she did to both of us and all those innocent people...! This "change of heart" thing disgusts me! It's like she one-sidedly decided to try and patch things up, and I hate it!"

"Kaori, please..." Kaede remained calm, "People are staring at us..."

Kaori calmed herself after realizing this for herself.

"This isn't about Mom...It's about us...But if you must know, here's how I look at it," Kaede asserted, "she may have been a lunatic obsessed with making something of herself and using me to do it, but at least she still pampered me and stuck around like any good mother would..."

She paused and crossed her arms, her expression stern, serious, and unmoving.

"But I agree with you. I still can't forgive her for what she did to you, and all those other people. If she hadn't had a change when she did, my upperclassmen and best friend might not have a place to call home anymore," she told her, "so outside of being a mother, as a human being...I just want to see how things go from here. Because I know that even the smallest action can change a person. And for Kirie Akamatsu, I hope it's for the better."

Kaori didn't know how to respond to this, so the two of them just quietly went back to eating and didn't bring it up again.

[BACK TO THE PRESENT...]

"I guess you gave her some food for thought..." Shuichi considered.

"That wasn't really what I was intending...But if it helped her, I didn't even realize..." She stopped in place, "I..."

"What's wrong?"

She put her plate down, turned off the tap, and turned solemnly towards Shuichi.

"Shuichi...What is "Justice" to you?" she asked, "what was going through your mind when you decided to take on the task of helping me and my sister? As a Phantom Thief, what should I be aiming for? Am I even doing the right thing now?"

For anyone outside of their relationship, it would be quite weird to think of Kaede Akamatsu to be this deep in thought and doubtful about herself. But for Shuichi, who was used to her company, this was far from uncommon. Though Kaede felt like his polar opposite in terms of social esteem and confidence, the two were virtually the same. He thought for a moment before giving his response.

"I'm not sure what to say to that..." he admitted, "I joined the Phantom Thieves because I knew that there were more people like us out there who were suffering at the hands of terrible people who felt like they could use us how they saw fit...I joined because I thought it was the only way I could make things right with my own power..."

He put down his brush and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"To me, the Phantom Thieves are that symbol of hope...something I think this world really needs...A strong light of hope that could serve as both salvation or as a warning...That is what I want this team to become..."

"And you think I should pursue that with you?" Kaede asked. Shuichi however, shook his head.

"Not if it's not what YOU truly believe," he asserted, "Kaede. You and I have been in similar situations, victimized and abused by similarly terrible people...but you and I are DIFFERENT. You shouldn't have to copy the ideals that I strive for if they don't suit or align with your own motives. You should look for a way that suits YOU, and...whatever answer you find...I'm sure it's going to be a very simple one..."

Kaede went silent...Now SHE was the one who didn't know how to respond.

"May I ask a question?" Shuichi interrupted her pause, "What do YOU think of your mother, Kaede? At the end of all this, I mean?"

Kaede was surprised to hear such a question but took the time to seriously consider how she felt about everything. She then gave him an earnest answer.

"I understand that Mom's life also went south when Dad died...But I think a lot of what went wrong for me, she and Kaori was her own fault at the end of the day," she said, "The only reason our relationship is strained is because Kaori put up with the abuse, lack of love and care, and torment for so long that she finally lost it. In an attempt to try and save this family, all she did was RUIN it, and for that, I can't ever forgive her."

She stacked the wet plates on the draining board and laid out a towel to dry them, but finished what she was saying before she did.

"But thanks to what you told me, I know now that Kaori is trying to overcome this herself," she said, "despite how distant we've been, over these last few days, she's been more outgoing with her friends, and has even sent me texts every now and again. She told me she's not quite ready to return home and come live with me yet, but...she did say that she's trying. I don't think she wants what happened before to ever happen again, so she's working on herself to make sure it doesn't..."

She gripped the edge of the desk.

"And here I am...being the only one who DOESN'T know what to do about all of this...!" she clenched her jaw, "I want to forgive Mom, and I still love her deep down, but I don't know how to truly feel about her...!"

"Well...do you know what I think?" Shuichi asked.

Kaede raised her head, her eyes widened with curiosity.

"I was actually having a conversation with Toko while we were making dinner, and it got me thinking about family..." Shuichi explained, "And from the way things sound...I don't think you yourself are ready to move on from these family issues yet..."

"You're probably right..." Kaede laughed sadly. However, her heart skipped when Shuichi took both her shoulders in his hands and pulled her close.

Clair de Lune ~ Suite Bergamasque

"I don't think you're ready...But right now, I think you're preparing yourself...Preparing yourself to come to terms with your Mom and sister, and forgive both of them," he concluded, "because I know more than anyone just how wonderful a person you are. And I don't think you have it in your heart to truly HATE anyone. Instead to me...it looks like you're just waiting...Waiting for the time to come when you can truly proclaim that you've moved on, and can forgive them. You're already well on that path, and I don't think you even realize it yet."

"Shuichi..." Kaede finally let the tears flow, though these tears weren't necessarily sad ones, "thank you so much...You've always been so good to me..."

At his own cordial gesture, Kaede found herself wrapping her hands around his waist. Feeling a mixture of bliss, tension, and surprise, the two gazed into each other's eyes before drawing closer and closer, their faces meeting. Their hearts were racing, and they could feel each other's heat and breath.

And those hearts started to beat in perfect unison as they finally kissed.

It went on for a while, neither of them breaking from their embrace, but with enough embarrassment from the exchange, eventually, the two broke away. They stared into each other's eyes for a second, realizing what had just happened, then quickly turned their backs to one another, blushing profusely.

*Ok, you just kissed...! Breathe! It's not a big deal! But the question is...do they want something serious with me? Or was it just a spur-of-the-moment thing? It probably was! Why would they actually love me anyway!? They're amazing and could do so much better than me! What do I even tell them now!?* was Shuichi's inner monologue.

*LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!* was Kaede's.

"Well, I guess screw it!" Kaede threw her eyes up to heaven, "I...I like you, Shuichi...!"

"Yeah I...uh...m-me...me too..." he stuttered, the gears of his mind still overworking themselves.

"So... heh... I guess we're more than just friends now, huh?"

"Y-Yeah...If that's ok..."

X

However, this feeling of bliss was suddenly interruby with the sound of somebody clearing their throat.

Slowly and nervously, both Kaede and Shuichi turned their heads to see Makoto standing next to the corner, diverting his eyes and scratching his face, acting like he hadn't seen anything...even though he clearly had.

To which the two of them immediately panicked...!

Mr. Monokuma's Lesson - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

"Wha-!? YOU-!? HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN THERE!?" Kaede cried, pink everywhere, "couldn't you have said something sooner!?"

"N-Not long!" Makoto told her, "But when I came in, you two were talking about some heavy stuff, and I didn't want to be insensitive and impose, so I just kept quiet, but then you two started, well, y'know, and I thought "this is really awkward me just watching them do this, I should probably say something!" so I said something and now-"

"Just-STOP!" Shuichi, beet red, silenced him with a single snap. Makoto practically glued his lips closed, and the three of them stood in a DEATHLY AWKWARD silence.

X

"I'm sorry...I won't say anything about...THAT, I promise. Other than that I'm happy for you two," he blushed, "but...I couldn't help but overhear everything and...I want you to know that Shuichi's right Kaede. About everything." Makoto said.

"You do?" Kaede composed herself. Makoto nodded.

"Even in the end, if you find out that you really can't forgive Kirie, or if you hate her, then that's ok," he told her, "it's fine if you're not able to come to terms with what she did or how you feel. That doesn't stop you from being the great person that you are. And like Shuichi said, you're probably just in the waiting period. I'm sure the phase is just natural..."

Kaede nodded.

"I know I can always count on you for that extra reassurance, Makoto-senpai," she smiled, "was that all you really wanted to say?"

"Well, I mean...I could have waited if that was the case," Makoto scratched his head, "but well...Monomi and I finished cleaning the beds and I was wondering if you two maybe wanted a game of cards while we waited for Toko and Komaru to get out of the bath?"

"That sounds great!" Shuichi beamed, "I can teach you two how to play Old Maid."

"Oh, I've always wanted to learn that!" Kaede's face shone brightly, "you're on!"

Wonderful Death 002 - Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls

"Hoooo! First bath really is the best!" Komaru squealed as she let herself soak in the refreshingly warm water of the Akamatsu's bathtub, "always has been, always will be."

"Yeah, I guess..." Toko nodded, "I mean, as someone who lives alone, I wouldn't know the difference."

"You know, you agreed to come bathe with very little resistance this time," Komaru observed, "should I take that as a good sign, or...?"

"Look, I'm slowly getting used to bathing more and more, helped by the fact that I keep hanging around you irritating fucks who would probably strip me and dump me in the water even if I refused," Toko glowered, but smiled, "so thanks for that."

"Well, I guess you could say the water isn't the only thing that's warmed up," Komaru scoffed, not paying much attention to her anti-flattery, "these days, whenever I suggest taking a bath, you don't put up much of a fight."

"Well, I did used to hate bathing...but in all seriousness, it's nowhere near as bad when I'm with a friend," Toko blushed, yet the heat of the bath thankfully hid this, "I won't say it's "exciting" or anything, but I guess I look forward to it now, at least somewhat..."

"Jeez, say it like you mean it..." Komaru snarked.

"Well, I'm sorry that we can't all be as much of an open book as you or your brother!" Toko snarled.

"Look, we all know I'm childish at my core," Komaru rolled her eyes, "sorry for that..."

"It's alright," Toko sighed and leaned back in the bath, "I'm used to it. Besides, it's probably what I like the most about you..."

"Huh? You really think so?" Komaru raised her eyebrows.

"Just saying what I really think," Toko closed her eyes "Don't take it out of context or anything..."

There was a brief moment of silence as the two relaxed in the bath, but Komaru stirred, thinking about what to say in response.

"Well, if we're being so frank with each other, can I confess something?" she asked, "I was talking privately with Kaede about a lot of the things that have been going on, and...there's something I want to say..."

Toko lifted her head to better hear her friend. Komaru herself went red, not hidden so well by the heat.

"Toko I...I think you're really cool...!" she smiled.

"Cool? Me?" Toko pointed to herself, becoming quite bashful, "Of all the words that could be used to describe me, that's a new one...I think even Makoto is a lot cooler than I am."

"Makoto's my brother, and I usually associate him for his dorkiness when he's...y'know, being himself, and when he's a Phantom Thief, I admire him for his awesomeness. It's like a whole new side of him, and it's really impressive," Komaru explained, "but I wouldn't necessarily say it fits my definition of "cool." To me, you fit that better, both in and out of the Metaverse."

"Well, I think you're a lot cooler..." Toko diverted her eyes. This surprised Komaru, who's eyes widened.

"Wait...really...?" she exclaimed, "but you're the one who's always knocking me for being childish and silly...I'm glad you think that, but are you serious?"

"Remember what I told you? About how you sell yourself short?" Toko's face went a lot redder now, "you're the first person I ever really considered a friend, and...I didn't have the chance to say it before, but I'll say it now..."

Though she was embarrassed, Toko turned her head to look Komaru in the eyes.

"If nothing else, tonight you've proven that you're capable. You're not just a good cook, but you're the life of the party, you crack people up, and you're always there for everyone when they need a shoulder to lean on. I know that I give you shit all the time, but I'm usually just messing around. So who cares if you're not that smart? You're smart in your own way, and...I think you're the coolest person I know...Don't let anyone tell you otherwise..."

"Wow..." Komaru flushed, "that might be the most honest you've ever been with me."

"Don't get used to it Omaru..." she scowled, "I make no promises to stop pointing out slip-ups ups..."

"Whatever," Komaru smiled and leaned back "I'm used to that crap by now...And besides. I really did outdo myself with that stew today. I don't think I could ever forgive myself if I let that meat go to waste."

Toko quietly chuckled, but then her face became serious.

"You know...now that I think about it, how did we even get to talking about all this stuff?" she frowned, "I have the distinct feeling that we're forgetting something..."

"Yeah, I'm wondering about that..." Komaru scratched her head, "but hey, we can worry about it another day. For now, I'm just enjoying relaxing in this bath."

"Yeah...it is quite nice, isn't it?" Toko curled back and relaxed, "even I have to admit that..."

With a pleased, comfortable smile, both girls sat in the bath, closing their eyes and letting the warm water soak their worries away...

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHH!!!???"

Finding Peace Party - Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

"I know you have it!" Kaede pouted as her hands scanned over Shuichi's hand of cards.

"No, I don't!" Shuichi snapped, "Makoto-senpai or Monomi must have it."

"Says who?" Monomi growled. However, as she did, the sliding door to the living room slammed open, revealing Komaru standing there, still naked and dripping wet from her bath and panting furiously.

"WOAH, MELONS!?!" Kaede exclaimed as she frantically covered a squealing and bright red Shuichi's eyes!

"Guys! It's bad! It's a nightmare! -GUH!?" Komaru shrieked!

"I'll say!" Makoto flushed as he grabbed a textbook and threw it at his sister's face, nailing her straight in the noggin, "Put some damn clothes on!"

Wait a minute...!?

Textbook!?

"AAGH!?" Makoto lurched up, now panicking himself, "We forgot to study for the exams!"

Shuichi and Kaede also lurched to their feet, with Shuichi still keeping his eyes tightly shut, even after Toko arrived on the scene and quickly wrapped a towel around Komaru, as well as checking her sore spot.

"Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap! What do we do!?"

"We need to hit the books! Wh-Where are they!?"

"Can you two maybe get dressed first so I can open my eyes and help you look!?"

"Right! Sorry! Be right back!"

"Komaru wait, watch your towel! You're gonna-!"

"WAH!?"

*SLIP!* *CRAAASH!*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.5K 1.7K 34
Misaki Naomi was a popular musician online, she was invited by Hope's Peak Academy because of her huge hits in the internet, in just a year she becam...
1.1K 40 18
Michael AFTON, son of William AFTON/Scraptrap, is reborn as a new human being and has no memory of his previous life. his new name is Makoto Naegi an...
59.3K 2.5K 25
Hajime Hinata is on a class trip to Jabberwock Island with ultimate students at Hope's peak academy. Although he's with kids from school and would mo...
42.3K 866 20
Multiple Groupchats but they are all connected. I beg of you to drop the story if it is not suitable for your taste. It is a chatfic of headcanons an...