Life is... Beautiful?

By anonymousereader321

Just a couple of bits from Life is Beautiful, but with Rakesh x reader. Takes place in 2023, but with no COVI... More

Chapter 1: Are you new here?
Chapter 2: Cricket Match
Chapter 3: Office
Chapter 4: Pool
Chapter 5: Maya
Chapter 6: Calls
Chapter 7: Lovebirds
Chapter 8: Wedding
Chapter 9: Sleepover
Chapter 10: Magic?
Chapter 11: Missing
Chapter 12: Do Festival
Chapter 14: Fight or Flight
Chapter 15: Fashion? Passion?
Chapter 16: Complications
Chapter 17: Crumble
Chapter 18: Love is so Mad
Chapter 19: We Love

Chapter 13: Party Party Yeah!

121 5 0
By anonymousereader321

After Vinayaka Chavithi, you didn't talk to Rakesh for a while. Everytime you thought he was getting better, he just seemed to get worse. It felt like it was always one step forward, then three steps back. You still showed up to the office sometimes, but only really to talk to Lakshmi who you had gotten pretty close with. When Ajay didn't take her home, you did, and you took the opportunity to introduce her to your favorite Indian and KPOP songs, as well as some English ones, which she also began to recognize and lightly hum along in the car. She told you Padhu had decided to compete in the Miss India pageant as well, which you were surprised to hear, but nonetheless still supported. 

Padhu's birthday also passed, and you celebrated by buying her some jewelry and chocolates. While she accepted your gift graciously, it felt like her heart wasn't really into it. She later told you that her mother had forced her to attend pellichoopulu (matchmaking for marriage) in exchange for letting her participate in the beauty pageant. This was ruining her relationship with Srinu, so she was overall just very upset ("The whole reason I agreed to the pageant was because Srinu asked me," she lamented, as you nodded sympathetically). You offered to help her if needed, but she said that she wanted Srinu to talk to her of his own accord. 

As you were leaving the office today with Lakshmi, a voice stopped the two of you. "Hey y/n, Lakshmi!" You both turned around, seeing Ajay and Rakesh. They speed-walked a little to get to your sides.

"Lakshmi, there is a party today at the club, you have to join us," Ajay said, smiling. "Obviously you too y/n," he added. 

You forced a smile, "Sure, if I'm not busy, then maybe I'll stop by," you said ambiguously. 

"Hey, y/n, come on," Rakesh said, grabbing your wrist as you turned around. You immediately stopped and looked down at his hand on your wrist, then back at him, raising one eyebrow. He promptly let go of you. He pulled you aside gently. "Please, can you come? Paru is also coming, Suresh already told me," he said. You turned your head to the side, not replying. Rakesh tried to direct your eyes back onto him. "Please, please, please, I'm sorry for whatever I did." You huffed, looking back at him. "I won't be able to enjoy if you're not there, can you please come?" Feeling your resolve breaking, you gave in, nodding your head slowly. Rakesh grinned. "Yes! Thank you so so so much y/n!" He hugged you tightly, making you push him off. 

You raised your finger, warning him. "This won't happen again, so don't repeat what you did." Rakesh nodded his head. You held back a smile at his enthusiasm, not wanting to look too weak. You both walked back to where Lakshmi and Ajay were talking. 

"Please Lakshmi, see, even y/n is coming," Ajay tried to convince. Lakshmi looked at you, and you nodded, silently agreeing. 

Lakshmi slowly nodded her head. "Okay, I will be there at 7," she said. The two of you left, and you went to get ready after dropping her at home. 

---

"I asked Abhi to come," Paru was saying as she applied her mascara. She was dressed in a glittery champagne-colored, off-shoulder dress that ended a few inches above her knees. You had arrived a bit late, and were still trying to choose what to wear, still in a towel. 

"That's nice of you, just make sure Suresh doesn't hurt him," you said, staring at your closet and willing an outfit to just materialize out of thin air. "Ugh! I have nothing to wear," you groaned, falling down backwards on the bed. 

"Stop being dramatic, I'm sure you'll find something." Paru's phone rang as she applied her lipstick. "Hello? Yeah, I'm almost done." She covered her phone, talking to you. "Suresh will be here in five, do you want me to wait for you?"

Not wanting to waste her time (or spend any extra time with Suresh), you told her to go on ahead, saying you'll meet her at the club. She yelled out a 'bye,' as she left, the door clicking shut. Suddenly, you got an idea of what to wear, grinning as you shuffled through your clothes.

---

Lakshmi and Nagaraj entered the club, a bit awkward in the neon lights and blaring EDM music. Lakshmi didn't recognize the song playing, and felt out of place in her saree, looking at the other people dressed in Western clothes. 

"Hey Lakshmi!" Ajay called out to her. Nagaraj led her through the crowd, stopping when they met Ajay. "Look who's here guys." He introduced her to his other childhood friends, and then she and Nagaraj went to go sit at the bar, ordering a juice to sip on. Lakshmi spotted Paru dancing with Suresh, and searched the club for you, but couldn't find you. Ajay suddenly appeared next to her. 

"Come on, let's go dance," he said. 

"No, no, I don't know how to dance," Lakshmi tried to wave him off, but Ajay being Ajay, persisted and eventually pulled her to the dance floor. She looked here and there, but you weren't there to save her, so she gave in and let Ajay lead her. 

---

Rakesh had arrived to the party a bit earlier, being one of the main hosts. Dressed in a white button down shirt and jeans, he nursed a drink in his hands, making idle conversation with the guests coming through. He was happy to catch up with some of his childhood friends, but his main focus was on where you were. When Paru and Suresh came, he asked her where you were, having expected you both to come together. 

"She said she'll be here, she's still getting ready," Paru answered, before Suresh whisked her away to dance. That was about an hour and a half ago, and even Lakshmi and Nagaraj had come. Rakesh was getting impatient now, and was halfway about to just leave and go to Paru's house to be with you.

---

You were finally ready and had reached the party. Dressed in white bejeweled saree blouse that ended an inch above your belly button and black jeans, along with diamond stud earrings and a matching Swarovski necklace, you were ready to dance and sing. Although you didn't always like to show off in public, the fact that most people would be minding their business and hitting on somebody, or just straight up drunk comforted you, assuring you that not many people would be focusing on you. As you entered the club, "The Feels" by Twice started to play, making you perk up and start looking for Paru, since this was your guys' song. As Jihyo's part was coming to an end and the chorus was nearing, you found her and tapped on her shoulder, pulling her away from Suresh (to his dismay) so that you could dance to the main part together. 

"I GOT THE FEELS FOR YOU YEAH, YEAH, YEAH, YEAAH! YOU HAVE STOLEN MY HEART, OH YEAH!" You sang, following along with the dance, not caring who was watching. Rakesh finally saw you and laughed, watching you dance with zeal. You spinned and twirled, finding Lakshmi as well and stealing her from Ajay, making her laugh as your energy fueled her. The song soon ended, and you talked to Lakshmi. 

"You look so pretty Lakshmi, I love your saree!"

"Thanks! When did you get here?" She asked, leaning to your ear so you could hear her better.

"Just before this song started. You?"

"I came here about thirty minutes ago. Nagaraj also came, see?" She pointed him out, sitting at the bar on the lower level. 

"Oh, I think I see Abhi too. I'll go say hi," you said, leaving the dance floor. 

Nagaraj and Abhi saw you, smiling as you approached them.

"Hi guys, how's it going?"

"It's okay," Nagaraj answered honestly. 

"It's so nice to see you guys here," you said. "Why don't you come and dance?" Paru called Abhi up and he left, leaving you and Nagaraj.

"Can I be honest?" Nagaraj asked. You nodded. "I really like Lakshmi and I hate seeing her with Ajay. It just makes my blood boil," he said.

You smiled, feeling a bit reckless. "I have an idea, do you want to hear it?" Nagaraj leaned in, ready for your scheming.

---

Rakesh saw you go to talk to Nagaraj and Abhi, feeling mad. You hadn't even seen him yet, and you went to those B-phase guys? He watched as you and Nagaraj leaned in, and then you led Nagaraj to the DJ, holding him by the wrist. One of his family friends called out to him, and he put on a fake smile, chatting, but his mind was on you only. 

The song suddenly changed to a more desi-style song, one with a mass beat. You and Nagaraj went up to the dance floor, getting right in the middle as people were confused for a second. You looked at him and he nodded, feeling a little more comfortable with the song. You prepared for the female lines, taking a deep breath. 

"Macherla center lo maapatela nenosthe sandamama sandulloki vachenantarey!" You and Nagaraj danced wildly, people around you catching on and changing their dancing style as well. 

"I'm ready! Nannu etaga pilisina ready!" The two of you were full on jamming out. You pulled Paru in and Abhi followed, joining you guys.

As the song reached Krithi Shetty's entry, you found Lakshmi, handing her off to Nagaraj, who led her in the dance. Initially shy, she opened up slowly, and by the end, was dancing with enthusiasm. The two of them were laughing together as the song ended. You backed away, watching them with a smile on your face, your mission complete. 

Your back hit something, making you turn around.

"Rakesh?" He looked down at you, scowling and very upset. He pulled you away to a more private corner. "Rakesh, what's wrong?" He didn't answer you, pulling you by your wrist. You wrestled your hand away, making him stop. "Rakesh, what is this?"

"What do you mean 'what is this?' I should be asking you that. Why are you dancing like that with other guys?" Rakesh said, voice slightly raised.

"I don't have to answer to you," you said, feeling attacked. "I wasn't being indecent, and Nagaraj is my friend. Neither of us had any different intentions," you defended. 

Rakesh huffed, turning around. He knew deep inside that you weren't like that, and he did see you pair Nagaraj and Lakshmi together before leaving, but he couldn't help but feel the jealousy boiling in his veins. Realizing that he was just a bit upset, you softened. 

"Rakesh," you called sweetly. He ignored you, still turned around. You got on your tip toes and turned his face around, your hand under his chin. "Rakesh, please, I'm sorry." He still didn't meet your eyes. Impulsively, you kissed his cheek, making him pull back in shock. Worried that he might get even more upset, you apologized. "Sorry sorry, that was out of line." You moved back two steps, before Rakesh pulled you back by your hips. 

"It's ok." You exhaled in relief. "I'll forgive you, but only if you give me one more," he said, smiling and facing his cheek towards you. You laughed and lightly slapped him, moving away. 

"Stupid. Come, let's dance." You both walked back to the dance floor, and lightly swayed to the music. Lakshmi, Nagaraj, and Abhi seemed to have left already, and the music was also getting a bit more mellower as time went on. Rakesh twirled you around a couple of times, making you laugh. His hands hovered over your waist, waiting for your consent. You put your hands on his shoulders, signaling that it was okay, and Rakesh's hands landed on your waist, gripping gently. The lights dimmed down, making it even harder to see each other's face. 

Ishq wala love... The ending of "Disco Deewane" was playing, the music seeping into your heart. You felt your emotions rising with the music, and the two of you leaned in closer. Rakesh's eyes fell to your lips, and you looked up at him, eyes wide. He leaned in, eyes hooded. Your eyes fluttered shut, you weren't sure what in preparation for. Suddenly, someone bumped into you from behind, breaking the two of you out of the trance you were in. You took a step back, your eyes dropping down to the floor before looking back up at Rakesh. You forced a smile on your face, and excused yourself after a minute, telling him you'd go find Paru.

You stepped outside, breathing deeply and letting the crisp air fill your lungs. What was that? Your heart was beating hard,  blood rushing through your ears. You haven't felt like this since... well, you haven't felt like this ever. These past months, you had gotten closer to Rakesh, but then again, you had gotten closer to a lot of people, including other guys too. So why didn't you feel this way about them? You felt yourself tearing up in frustration, unable to understand your feelings. There were qualities about Rakesh that you didn't like, so why did you suddenly feel this way about him? 

"Hey, Rakesh told me you were looking for me? Is everything okay?" Paru came outside to check on you. 

"Yeah, I think I'm ready to go home though," you answered, discreetly wiping your tears. 

Paru noticed. "For real, is everything alright? Did anyone hurt you?" She placed a hand on your shoulder and made you face her full on. "Hey, talk to me," she said gently.

"No, it's really nothing, I'm just being emotional for no reason," you explained. She didn't press, understanding that you didn't want to talk, and instead messaged Suresh that the two of you were leaving while you called the driver. You also sent a quick message to Ajay, thanking him for inviting you and that the party was really fun. 

Once you got home, you quickly changed and cleaned up, curling up on your bed. As you were falling asleep, you decided not to think about anything further and just let things go organically. But one thing was for sure - if Rakesh continued to be a bully and hurt your B-phase friends, you definitely would cut ties - no questions asked. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.1K 3.4K 57
"๐Œ๐˜ ๐’๐„๐‘๐ˆ๐„๐’ ๐๐Ž๐Ž๐Š ๐Ž๐๐„" One-year is all it takes for strangers to become deep lovers. One-year contract marriage is all takes to turn att...
75.9K 7.6K 34
Growing up she believed she had to live life to the fullest, she could not afford to spend her time on anyone! Growing up he believed life had no mea...
720K 36.4K 81
โœ”๏ธFirst place in People's choice awards 2020 in general fiction categoryโค๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’ โœ”๏ธFirst place in Rainbow awards 2020 in humour categoryโค๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’ โœ”๏ธThird p...