Chapter 17: Crumble

The next day, Paru's dad sat her down, and calmly asked her to stop meeting Abhi. Paru was being stubborn and kept refusing to admit that she liked him romantically, so your hands were tied. She was practically on house arrest, unable to go to B-phase but also unwilling to talk to anyone from Gold-phase, as were you. You kept in touch with the people from B-phase, but it wasn't the same as going to meet them in person. 

You were laying in bed awake, scrolling through your phone when Paru entered your room. You quickly sat up. "What's up?"

"Abhi is outside," she whispered, ushering you outside. The two of you silently exited the gate from her house, and you grabbed a ladder for her to climb to talk to Abhi on the other side of the wall. Srinu and Nagaraj lifted Abhi up, allowing him to talk over the wall. 

"What are you doing? This is so dangerous. My dad will kill you if he sees this," Paru told Abhi. 

Abhi smiled. "We almost died already, Paru. If not then, then now. I'm not scared anymore. I just wanted to see you once," he said sweetly. "I actually thought that your dad might've forced you, like in the movies, so I came to save you, you know, like a hero."

"Hey, what about me?" You interjected playfully. 

"Oh, y/n? You're here too?" Nagaraj said from behind the wall. 

"Hi Nagaraj! I'm assuming Srinu is with you?"

"Yup, right here." 

"How's it going y/n?"

"Eh, things could be better. What about you guys?"

"Lakshmi rejected me," Nagaraj said bluntly.

"What!" You were about to say something, but Paru gave you a look, wordlessly telling you to shut up. 

"This isn't a movie, Abhi." Paru said. 

"So, you don't like me?" Abhi asked, dejected.

Paru looked to the side, and then back. "I- I don't know Abhi."

"Paru, we even kissed." You let out a gasp at this. 

"Bitch when?" You hissed. They ignored you and Abhi continued. 

"You know, in our B-phase, if you kiss someone, you get married."

"It's the same in my area too," Paru replied. "But it was a dream."

"Dream aa?" Abhi looked confused. "Then let's kiss again. It will be real this time," he said innocently.

Smooth like butter, you thought. 

Seeing Paru's expression, Abhi quickly backtracked. "No, no, I was just joking."

Paru swallowed. "See, the problem is... the idea of a life with you is just... really confusing."

"Confusion?"

"I'm scared," Paru said honestly. 

"Scared?" Abhi was incredulous. 

"This won't work out Abhi."

"Then what should I do to get rid of your fear? What do you want me to do? Tell me Paru, I'll do it." Abhi implored, pausing. "Shall we get married?" Paru looked into his eyes for a moment, before shaking her head and coming down the ladder.

You didn't know what to say. Abhi was a good man, maybe a little naive, but he was smart, and could definitely provide a good living for Paru. You were rooting for him, even if it took some time. 

"Hey Paru!" The two of you looked back to the wall, seeing Abhi struggle to get up again. Quickly grabbing the ladder, you helped Paru go back up. 

"Paru, just tell me one thing, truthfully, please. By any chance," he hesitated, "by any chance is this just a Gold-phase scheme? You meeting me, magic, kissing, is this all a scheme?" Paru glared at him, before slapping him hard. She got off the ladder and stormed off, with you in tow.