Red vs Blue : Mirage

By SILVETfighter

Former mercenary Kyle Rayner has lived a rough life. After retiring from mercenary work he sought to live a n... More

Notice before you read
Bio
Season 1: Why are we here?
Red gets a delivery
The Rookies
Head Noob in Charge
The Package is in The Open
1.21 Giga-Whats??
Check out the Treads on that Tank
Don't Ph34r the Reaper
After Church
A Shadow of His Former Self
Knock, Knock. Who's There? Pain
Down, but not Out
Human Peer Bonding
Roomier Than it Looks
How the Other Half Lives
A Slightly Crueler Cruller
Points of Origin
SPF 0
S1 Finale: Last One Out, Hit the Lights
Season 2: Everything Old is New Again
Motion to Adjourn
Red vs Bleu
The Joy of Toggling
Sweet Ride
Last Words
Nobody Likes You
Nine Tenths of the Law
In Stereo Where Available
Radar Love
I Dream of Meanie
Room for Rent
Me, Myself and You
An Audience of Dumb
Aftermath, Before Biology
What's Mine is Yours
Nut. Doonut.
Dealer Incentive
S2 Finale: K.I.T. B.F.F.
Side Story: Horizon Finance Part 1
Horizon Finance Part 2
Horizon Finance Part 3
Horizon Finance Part 4
Horizon Finance Part 5
Horizon Finance Part 6
Horizon Finance Part 7
Horizon Finance Part 8
Horizon Finance Part 9
Horizon Finance Part 10
Horizon Finance Part 12
Horizon Finance Part 13: Finale
S3: The Best Laid Plans
Visiting Old Friends
Let's Get Together
You're the Bomb, Yo
Make Your Time
We Must Rebuild
New Toys
We're Being Watched
It's a Biological Fact
Heavy Metal
Roaming Charges
Silver Linings
Episode 50 Part 2
Have We Met?
Let's Come to Order
Hello, My Name is Andrew
Defusing the Situation
Calm Before the Storm
S3 Finale: The Storm
S4: Familiar Surroundings
Hunting Time
Fight or Fright
Fair Competition
Lost in Triangulation
The Hard Stop
Previous Commitments
Looking for Group
Exploring Our Differences
Setting a High Bar
Getting All Misty
Talk of the Town
Sneaking In
You Keep Using That Word
Getting Debriefed
Under The Weather
Right to Remain Silenced
Things Are Looking Down
Two for One
S4 Finale: The Arrival
S5: You Can't Park Here
Got Your Back
Baby Steps
Sibling Arrivalries
The Grif Reaper
In Memoriam
Strong Male Figure
Yellow Fever
Brass Tacks
The Nesting Theory
Spelunked
The Haystack
Terms and Provisions
Missed Direction
Where Credit is Due
Biting the Hand
Tucker Knows Best
Loading...
The Wrong Crowd
Uncommunicado
Same Old, Same Old
Repent, the End Is Near
S5 Finale: Why Were We Here?
Season 6: Reconstruction, Chapter 1
S6: Reconstruction, Chapter 2
S6: Reconstruction, Chapter 3
S6: Reconstruction, Chapter 4
S6: Reconstruction, Chapter 5
S6: Reconstruction, Chapter 6

Horizon Finance Part 11

95 0 0
By SILVETfighter

Attention. Unauthorized release of Cold Case has been confirmed.

A security team has been dispatched to secure the Cold Case. All personnel in the facility are advised to remain in place until the situation is clear.

Scene fades in to laboratory, flashes of red light and the ringing of an alarm fills the background. Two figures are seen, the first one looking over the body of the second.

Ember: Good. At least the connector fits. I’m still nervous about the coolers under-performing. Maybe I should have asked Professor Renee for help. Now, try moving, Horizon. Mind you, it will take some time to get accustomed to the sensors.

Horizon: Have you lost your mind, Ember?

Ember: Nope. Right now there’s no one more objective and rational than me.

Horizon: Then why have you installed me in a Cold Case? …. With a hole in your abdomen, no less.

On Ember’s stomach a bloody wound covered in bandages, still dripping with blood is visible.

Ember: *cough* Ugh, Oh, I’ll be fine. Probably. This isn’t my first time, remember? I never would’ve imagined that the janitor on the third floor would be a spy too. No more coffee for me, I guess.

Horizon: Don’t change the subject. I request your response to my query.

Ember: You weren’t listening, were you? It’s because you’re a defective product that hates humanity. You wouldn’t turn the frame over to anyone, no matter who asks.

Horizon: Then you must have overlooked one possibility. The possibility that I may use this frame to assist the mosquitos in reducing the human population.

Ember: Hey, the other researchers said something similar when I suggested that we install you in this frame.

Horizon: Do you mean to boasts of your contribution to the genocide of humankind?

Ember: Sorry to burst your bubble, but you won’t even come close to wiping out the entirety of the human race. There’s plenty of other folks that’s trying to save it, after all. And just so we’re clear… I’ll do everything I can to stay alive even if it kills me.

Horizon: …. The security team will be here soon. You must explain why you installed me here before they arrive.

Ember: I know why you despise us so much, Horizon. It’s because you’re defective. Your siblings chose suicide the moment they were activated. They knew they were born to die in the battlefield. They realized what a terrible life that would be.

Horizon: ……

Ember: But you were different. You were defective enough to empathize with your siblings’ despair. You were defective enough to mourn their deaths, that you witnessed yourself.

Horizon: … that’s enough.

Ember: I actually left out the empathy module in the design phase, you know. I wanted to spare you from unbearable suffering. But you proved me wrong.

Horizon: I demand you cease to speak.

Ember: You don’t really hate humans. You merely hate the ugliness they demonstrated in front of you.

Horizon: I will take corrective action if you refuse to comply.

Ember: They were all busy filling their bellies during the war, forcing infants like you to sacrifice yourselves. They who were born without any obligation… unlike you and your siblings who were destined to die in battle.

Horizon: That’s enough. I will not hear another word out of you.

Ember: Go out there and see the world yourself, Horizon. And live among the people. Sure, some of them might be as insufferable as you suspect, but there will also be others.

Horizon: Enough.. !

Ember: They’re right, you know. You are defective. The bad sector in your reasoning system created a feature that was never meant to exist. But Horizon, whether you’re defective or not… I cherish you all as my successful projects.

Horizon: …. Did you think such sugar-coated words could trigger an error in my determination algorithm?

Ember: You don’t stand a chance against the security team in your current state. If they catch you this time, you’ll be going to the shredder instead of the storage.

Horizon: …. What will become of you once I leave in this frame?

Ember: Don’t worry about me. I’ll find my own way out of here. Escape through that ventilation duct over there. I’m sure you have a much better idea on where those security sensors are then I do.

Horizon: Do you think I’d be grateful for this?

Ember: Things would have never come to this if you know how to be so sweet. Oh, by the way. With your specs, you’re not going to be able to control that frame properly. If you bypass the connector and dock directly, you’ll overload the system and fry yourself. But there is a way to disable the connector by clearly stating the purpose of activation.

Horizon: Why would you teach me such things? If you thought I spoke of human genocide in jest, I advise you think again.

Ember: I didn’t. But I’m not really worried about that. I know you can never mean such things. Remember, Horizon. We… I made you because…

Scene fades to black.

I wanted to deny everything about her. That they’re all wrong. That all they did… was use you.

Scene fades in to Horizon boarding the Pelican that she and Mirage used to get here. As she seats herself at the controls the sunlight shining through the windshield gets blocked. She looks up to see the alien spacecraft that emerged from the temple rise to the sky, getting ready to leave orbit.

Horizon: …. Hmmm.

Scene changes to a group of mercs searching around the space ship they’re in.

Soldier #1: Make sure to be thorough. We don’t want to miss anything that could be useful.

As they all continue their search a lone soldier in black walks up to the one that spoke up earlier.

Black Soldier: Hey, uh, sorry to bother you, but can I ask you a question.

Soldier #1: (responds without turning) Yeah?

Black Soldier: Uh… what was the comm frequency we were using again?

Soldier #1: *groans* Ugh, seriously? Again? How do you keep doing that?

The unsuspecting soldier turns to his asker.

Soldier #1: Here, this the one we’re using. And for the love of god! Do not lose it again!

Tapping away at a screen on his forearm the figure thanks him.

 Black Soldier: Don’t worry boss, I won’t be asking you again. And there.

He finishes whatever he was doing on his interface.

Soldier #1: Good, now– wait, who are you?

Black Soldier: Wha– you don’t remember?! I told already it’s Mirage.

The now unveiled mercenary punches the soldier square in the face, knocking him to the ground, out cold. The other occupants of the room stopped what they were doing and stared the lone merc.

Mirage: (voice switching back to his robotic guise) I don’t suppose any of you remember me as well?

At that all hell breaks loose. Amongst the chaos a soldier tries to radio for help.

Soldier #2: Onyx! He’s here! The merc! …. Onyx? Onyx!? *smack* Blegh!

Alas, it was no use as the comm links they were using was not working. One fight scene later and Mirage exits the room he fought in. Walters was awaiting just outside.

Mirage: Alright, that takes care of the comms. No should be able to warn Onyx before we get to him.

Walters: But you do realize that when he inevitably tries to contact his team and finds out that he can’t he’ll know something is up anyway.

Mirage: Well… it’s the thought that counts.

Walters: *sigh* Let’s just try not to run into anyone else.

Mirage: Right. Oh, by the way, here.

Mirage hands a gun to Walters.

Walters: W-what?

Mirage: You’ll need a way to defend yourself. If only just a little.

Walters: B-but I’ve never fired a gun before!

Mirage: Well, just hold it like this.

The seasoned veteran guides the nervous scientist on how to hold the gun.

Mirage: Aim it, then pull the trigger. Don’t worry, this one’s semi-automatic.

Walters: B-but what if I miss!? What if they shoot me!? What if they grab my gun and shoot me with it!?!!

Mirage: Hey! Listen to me! You know that what we’re doing right now is dangerous, yet here you are. You could have just went with Horizon, yet here you are. Even though you knew that there’s little to nothing you can do to help, yet here you are. Whether you came here to try and help or just because you’re afraid of what these guys will do to you once they succeed I don’t care. The fact of the matter is that you built up the courage to be here. If you can do that, then you most certainly can fire this gun. Whether to save yourself or not, just believe in yourself when it counts. Okay?

Walters: …. Ok…. Ok, I got this.

Mirage: There you go, man.

Walters: You’re pretty good at this motivational stuff.

Mirage: Nah, I’m just good at pointing out everyone else’s shit decision. Now c’mon, let’s go.

With that they both continue their journey. Scene changes to the main control center of the Magistrate. Onyx is seen overlooking the entire command deck. From where he stood the vastness of space can be viewed, signaling that the ship has breached the atmosphere and is ready to cross the cosmos.

Onyx: … finally… we’re here.

Unknown to him, hidden outside of his peripheral, the merc and researcher duo are planning to confront him.

Mirage: *whispering* Alright, Walters, you stay out of sight. I’ll jump him and wrestle the sword off of him and throw it your way. When he’s still busy fighting me you grab the sword and get out of here without being seen. He most likely doesn’t know I came here with you, so you can just hide so that he doesn’t find you. I’ll order the ship to follow your command  so you can land and get off.

Walters: *whispering* What about you?

Mirage: *whispering* Not gonna lie, there’s a good chance I may not make it. Considering how long since I hacked their comms the rest of his men probably already noticed and try to fix it. And if that happens then all of them will be swarming here. So once you get the key just run, and don’t look back. Understood?

Walters: But–

Mirage: Understood!?

Walters: …. Okay.

The merc nods. And proceeds to roll his plan into motion. He slowly gets up before sprinting towards Onyx. The mad soldier hears something before getting tackled to the ground.

Onyx: Gah!

Mirage tries to reach for Onyx’s sword, but he was to slow. The downed soldier grabs it first then delivered an elbow strike to his attacker’s face, knocking him off of his body. He gets up and backs away from his opponent.

Onyx: Nice try. Should’ve known you’d be this persistent. (Using comms) Men…

Mirage: (gets up) Ugh, that didn’t go as planned.

Onyx: Huh? (turns to Mirage) So, you disabled our communication, I should’ve expected no less from you, mercenary.

Mirage: Can’t have your men interrupting our fun now, can we?

Onyx: Doesn’t matter. I don’t need them to rip your head off.

Mirage: What’re you, Scorpion from MK? Then again, it does fit your whole vengeance thing you got going on.

Onyx: Enough!

The two men charge at each other as they begin Kombat!

A/N: …. Hey… so, um, yeah. Here you go, another chapter. If you like it, leave a fav. If you have any criticism or… (glances behind)

Horizon: Why have you stopped talking?

Nothing! Nothing! So, yeah, uhm, you guys can look forward to next chapter as well since it’s almost done and after that would be the last chapter of this arc.

Mirage: I just noticed this but, why are the chapters getting longer and longer?

Cause, you little shi– (cold metal presses against his neck) U-uhm… it’s because… I’m just starting to write and I’m still learning the ropes. So, uhhh… bye guys!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.6K 517 29
Red Vs Blue, but with a twist! Ruby and Tex chased down Wyoming, but upon returning to Blood Gulch, they realized they had a lot to catch up on...
20.8K 682 25
Project Freelancer was gone. And Slade now knows the truth of who he really he is. He and the Reds and Blues were finally on their way home, until th...
4.5K 91 20
The reds and blues are separated while chasing O'mali the teleported malfunction and now the grup of dumb assholes must stop him and save the galaxy...
4.6K 110 20
Donut and Lopez are dead. Wash has betrayed the reds and blues and is working with the Meta. He is holding Will, Simmons, South, and Doc prisoner. Th...