Don't Let Us Go

By LovaticNae

He let her go, thinking it was for the better, but she wasn't the thing he left behind. More

Letting Her Go.
Left Behind
Only So Much I Can Do
Questionaire And Waffles
Living My Life
Mother's Advise
Womenly Interceptions
Fatherly Rights
Food And Family Time
Make Yourself At Home
Enjoy The Moment.
Enjoy The Moment Pt. 2
The Next Step
Mother's Instinct
Reconnecting on More Levels
Reconnecting On More Levels Pt. 2
Pathetic Attempts
Mama Do Not Play About Hers
Secure In Her Place
Fogged Mirrors
Make It Last
Last Moments
Iceland
Airports And Goodbyes
BlackOut Nights
BlackMail Baby
Breaking Trust
Small World After All
Can't Do That
Always Need My Bff
Old Friends, Old Problems Pt.1
Old Friends, Old Problems Pt.2
Flip The Scipt
She Is The Moment
Communication is Key
Planting Roots
Damage Is Already Done
Irreplaceable
Quicker Than Planned
Second Time Around
Woman's Worth
Out Of Order
Wedding Bells
Wedding Bells Pt 2

Where She Came From

567 27 28
By LovaticNae

The evening of the charity event was in full gear, and the James family was at full frontal of the cameras. All city based pressed were scurrying to get a picture of the newly formed family, that longtime player, Spencer James, kept hidden. 

Walking the carpet that all the honorable guests enter the venue on, Spencer and Olivia were targeted aimlessly for pictures and hounded for questions by small sports article interviews. It wasn't every day that a residential good guy was blasted in the press' eyes for such a huge scandal.

Despite all the mess, Olivia maintained her composure as years of studying the art of public communications taught her to do. Unlike her daughter, who walked the carpet with large smiles and dazzling eyes, loving the attention. She was indeed her father's child. As like his daughter, Spencer ran with the punches, smiling for the cameras as if it were another day at the office.

Once they found themselves finally inside the ballroom gala, where the charity auction was being held, Spencer pulled Olivia to the side as their daughter scurried off in search of a certain boy.

"If anyone asks you anything you feel uncomfortable with answering, don't feel obligated to respond to them." Spencer advised her with a gentle rub on her arm. "You do not owe anyone a sob story to feed to the first reporter they can get to."

Taking his comforting hand off her arm, Olivia patted his shoulder blade as if dusting something off his tux. "I think you forgot who you knocked up, Spencer." She snickered, unconcerned for the gossiping vultures lingering inside the large event. "I am the daughter of a retired NFL player and the sister of a current one. And I write in news publications for a living. I'm not worried about these athletic managers, socialites, or bloodthirsty gossip columnists."

Smirking, Spencer shrugged his shoulders, surrending to her confidence. "Do you then, Liv."

Smiling, she looped her arm in his, "Can we go find our daughter before she finds the dessert table?" She asked goofily, sparking a chuckle from Spencer as he escorted her out of the corner so they could begin to work the room.

Mingling amongst some colleagues of Spencer's from, coaching staff to dancers, Olivia kept her discussions light, giving only surface details. Introducing herself as the mother of Spencer's daughter, she enlightened some of Spencer's friends and acquaintances to some of Spencer's prime days in high school. Meeting some of his teammates and their spouses, she shared in Spencer's glory days on his college team before his NFL draft. Hitting it off with most of the people he introduced her to, Olivia found herself comfortable with disclosing how they met in high school with one of  Spencer's closer friends on the team, Jamal and Gina.

"That is some Bonnie and Clyde type of love." Gina giggled over  virgin bloody maries, as Olivia reminisced about how Spencer had once taken a bullet for her.

"Yeah, I think from there, things between us were just set in stone." Olivia mused with light blush on her cheeks as she glanced a few feet away to where Spencer chatted things up with Gina's husband, Jamal.

"And here, Jay and I were thinking we might actually need to set Spence up with someone. Nope, I can understand why he could not let go of a romance like that." Gina nodded, sipping from her glass. "So what, you two are back together or...."

"It's complicated." Olivia moaned, leaning her chin onto her hand as she posed against the bar. "We have a little girl together, and I can tell that he wants to build a family, but it's been years since we've been together."

"As someone who's watched Spencer up close over the last few years, I can tell you he has been holding out for something." Gina disclosed in a hushed tone, eyeing her husband and his teammate. "Jamal and I thought there might be a chance he was interested in that publist of his, once upon a time. But Spencer was quick to shut that down when Jamal suggested he go for it."

"If you don't mind me asking, how well do you know Tanya?" Olivia inquired, her stance perking up. "I only met her once -- yesterday, but I can not help but feel like she can't be trusted."

"I've only known Tanya for a couple of years, but she was recommended to Spencer by one of the old players who got injured a like 6 or seven  years back." Gina explained. "I think she was his cousin or something and just got hired at an agency. She made a name for herself by bagging Spencer as a client. From TV spot, interviews, highlight reels, and sponsors. You name it, she got it for Spencer." Gina stressed.

"So she's good at her job." Olivia sighed irritably.

"Too good, I'd say. She used to have five players as her clients like three years ago." Gina snorted. "She dropped them all for Spencer. Then rumors spiraled that she was sleeping with Spencer and wanted to put all of her focus on her number one player."

"Spencer would never." Olivia immediately responded, her nostrils flaring as she narrowed her eyes in his direction.

"Yeah, no. It was a rumor ran wild within the team, wives, and players' girlfriends." Gina laughed off, downing the rest of her drink. "My point is, despite all of that, if Tanya were given the chance to be with Spencer, I have no doubt she would go for it."

"So bad news all the way around." Olivia groaned, knowing that she couldn't just dispose of the tramp so easily because of any professional secrets Spencer might have trusted Tanya with. If he was injured, held any future plans that others poeple might benefit from, or even if she disclosed their current situation to the media, things could fall out badly for Spencer's career.

No, Tanya was going to be Olivia's personal problem to deal with.

Making their way back over to their ladies with their children in toe, Spencer and Jamal eyed the women suspiciously.

"What were you two talking about?" Jamal asked delightfully.

"Olivia was just telling me how she got Spencer to fall head over hills in love with her while their were in high school." Gina teased a flustered Spencer as Olivia smiled into her cup. "We were wasting our time with all those blind dates, babe. Your boy here is a love sick puppy for, LivLiv, here." Gina wagged her finger between the estranged lovers, causing Jamal to laugh.

"Yeah, I can see that." Jamal agreed, patting his teammate on the back. "Let's just hope for our sake he doesn't screw it up this time. I am planning on serving as his best man one of these days."

"Man, shut up." Spencer puffed, playfully shoving Jamal, as Olivia raised her glass in toast to her new friends.

The playful moment was broken as Tanya made her way over to the group of four.

"Sorry to interrupt, but the auction is about to start, and I've arranged for a table not too far from the stage." Tanya interjected much to Olivia's dismay as they all followed her to the labeled tables.

People began to file into their reserved spots, all in hopes of making the best purchases of the evening. Unsurprised to find her name label between Jamal and Gina, Olivia glanced over to Tanya for an explanation.

"You and your daughter were last-minute additions to the invitation list, which was exclusive to begin with. We were lucky to get you both squeezed into the same table as the rest of us." Tanya detailed as if it were no biggie.

"Yet you managed to find a spot next to Spencer and my daughter, no problem." Olivia noted, gesturing to how Tanya was seated to the left of Gracianna, who was the only barrier between Tanya and Spencer.

"I hope you are not taking offense to the seating arrangements. Before a few days ago, I acted as Spencer's plus one to ensure all the best for my client at all public events. Prior to two days ago, none of us expected you or your daughter to be present. I don't wish any problems, Miss Baker. There is no need for either of us to cause a scene." Tanya added, her devious eyes dancing to the multiple guests inside the venue with large quantities of cameras in range.

Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, Olivia knew that despite what Tanya was saying, she did, in fact, want Olivia to make a scene. But like the classy lady she was, Liv kept her cool. 

"Tee, be forreal. Switch seats." Spencer demanded, not liking the tension that was building between Olivia and Tanya.

"No, Spencer. It's understandable." Olivia replied calmly, much to Tanya's disappointment.

Sitting down in her seat, Tanya expected Olivia to concede and take her seat between Jamal and Gina as arranged. But like everyone else, Tanya learned that Olivia  didn't make scenes, she made solutions.

Strolling around the table, Olivia made her way over to the three chairs reserved for Spencer, their daughter, and Tanya.

"Baby, do you mind if Mommy shares your seat?" Olivia asked sugar-coatedly, scooping her daughter in her arms with a smile plastered on her face as she gazed at a stunned Tanya.

"Ok, mommy." Gracianna agreed, thinking her mom's lap was the best seat to have anyhow.

Plopping down in the seat between Spencer and Tanya, Liv adjusted her posture to where her daughter coyld lean back against her comfortablely.

Tanya was forced to digest the sight of Spencer's hands entwining with Olivia's lovingly on top of table as the announcer began to speak on the stage.

Gina and Olivia shared a knowing expression as they both side eyed an obviously displaced Tanya.

The night went on with jersey from retired players being sold to luxurious vacation and estates being auctioned off. Then came the auction of current players of the team, as one by one the teammate contributed, sacrificed of form of themselves to the cause. From dancing with fans, signing autograph, and selling date night with the highest bidders.

When Spencer rose from his seat, Olivia knew what was to come. As part of contribution, Spencer auctioned off one afternoon picnic with a lucky lady. Of course, to keep things fair all special ladies in players lives, from wives down to girlfriends, were forbidden from placing a bid on their spouses. Although it was unjust, it leveled the field for actual fans and thrill seeking women. 

So when, Gina's bidding paddle shot up for a donation of 5k for an afternoon with Spencer, Olivia eyes widened in shock. Smirking at her new friend, Gina kept the bid going until they reached a solid 8k, outbidding any other women. When Spencer departed the stage he circled around table, kissing Gina's head and dapping up Jamal.

"Did you plan that?" Olivia inquired as he sat back down.

"It's for a good cause." Spencer responded curtly. "Now you have no choice, but to let me spoil you."

"Spencer that isn't how this works, and you know it. I had an reporter setup a proxy to win that bid, so that we could give her an exclusive." Tanya stressed, upset that he went against her plans.

"Screw the reporters, Tanya. I told you yesterday that Olivia and I would come work the cameras and woo the guests. We've done that. My family isn't a media circus outlet. We've done our part, now do yours and make the story spin our favor. Isn't that what I pay you to do?"

Tanya, along with Jamal and Gina were left flabbergasted by how Spencer spoke to Tanya.

"Spencer..." Tanya voice dragged put, her pride hurt from his public humiliation.

"Spencer, what? Huh?" He scoffed, mimicking her words. "Tee, I know what you did to Olivia." His voice low as he leaned his face forward. Olivia pushed her chair back to but some space between an angry Spencer and their daughter as he confronted Tanya.

His one line causing Tanya to seal her lips hastily.

"The only reason I haven't fired you, is because despite everything, you're good at your job and we have a contract." Spencer informed his publist, who was treading on thin ice. "So do your job, if not, I have no problems breaching our contract."

"You'd do that to me, for her." Tanya snarled in disbelief.

"I didn't do anything. You did it to yourself." Spencer quarreled back. "But I ain't about to make a scene in front of all these cameras. I'm warning you, Tee, do your job. Take care of press, and I will take care of my family. Got it?"

"Got it." Tanya growled, tossing her napkin to the table and harshly pushing her chair backwards before stomping away from their table.

"You should not have done that. I could have  handled her." Olivia sighed heavily as Spencer ran a protective hand over their daughter's head.

"She was in the wrong." Spencer argued, leaving no room for discussion. "She kept Gracianna from me. That contract is her lifeline. Otherwise, she'd be leaving here jobless."

Olivia nodded in agreement, as he grabbing the side her head, bringing it to his lips for a temple kiss. "C'mon, let's get out of here."

Allowing him to take Gracianna from her arms, Olivia rose from her seat, bidding Gina and Jamal farewell as they called it a night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.3K 407 31
When Maxie looses her family and Lauren adopts her, will she figure out who saved her life? When Maxie admits her feeling to her lover his reaction i...
16.8K 282 29
She didn't need to be saved. She needed to be found and appreciated for who she was.
4.2M 72.9K 78
he wasn't supposed to be intrigued by her innocent nature and she wasn't supposed to become bedeviled by his snap and senselessness. he thought he wa...
8.5K 350 32
When life pulls childhood friends, Jordan and Simone, on different paths, past mistakes make a way to pull them back together.