Finding Elora

Oleh inviwright

Abby's come up with a brilliant plan. Sneak into the faerie realm, buy all the Delysum she can get her hands... Lebih Banyak

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 6

2.6K 190 12
Oleh inviwright

ABBY

If there's anything I'm certain of, it's that I'm never going to sleep on wooden slabs again. Not if I have any say in it.

Every muscle in my back aches, and I stretch out my spine with a wince before shoving open the creaky cabin door and stepping outside. The temperature dropped slightly overnight, just like it would back in the human realm, but it wasn't anything my sweatshirt couldn't handle.

There's still a slight chill to the morning air, but I assume it will eventually warm to yesterday's temperature. In preparation, I shrug off my sweatshirt and shove it into my bag. I've got a lot of walking to do today, and I might as well enjoy the cool air while I can.

Caffeine withdrawals are already setting in, but it's not unbearable. If I were smart, I would've stopped drinking so much coffee last week, but I'm weak. The second I got to work, I was stepping into the break room to pour myself a heaping mug.

It couldn't be helped.

Magic still swirls in the air around me, but I'm very quickly getting used to it. My brain's blocking it out just as it does my nose in my peripheral vision. Soon, I hope I won't notice it at all.

I step away from the cabin and peer around, ensuring nobody's appeared overnight, but the field is just as empty now as it was yesterday. I suppose I should be relieved Lill's portal didn't draw any attention, but it sure would be nice to have somebody I could get directions from right about now.

There's a noticeable path where my walking yesterday crushed the long grass, and I stare at where the portal spit me out before sucking in a shaky breath and turning back to the cabin. To say I'm scared would be the understatement of the century, but I can't let it paralyze me.

I need to get moving.

"I should've brought some music," I mumble to myself.

My dumb ass didn't even think about bringing my phone. I'd bet my left kidney I wouldn't get any reception here, but at least I could keep myself occupied with the music and games. I've got three portable charges I could've shoved into the nooks of my bag, too.

It's too late to do anything about that now, though.

My palms sweat, and I wipe them on my leggings before taking off. I did a good amount of walking to get to the cabin yesterday, so I figure I should continue in that direction.

It takes only three hours for my legs to grow sore. I'm generally a good walker, but stepping through all this tall grass is more of a workout than I'm used to. Still, I force myself to take small sips of my water and continue at a decent pace.

The land grows wilder for a while, and large trees begin to appear and blot out the warming sun. They never get so dense that I feel unsafe or like I'm in a forested area, and after about forty minutes, the trees thin back out.

The grass grows slightly more tame, too. It still looks wild, but it's not quite as long.

I'm choosing to take that as a good sign.

After another thirty minutes of walking, I spot what looks like a path up ahead. It's too far away to get a proper look, and there's a decent chance I'm just imagining it, but I rush toward it anyway.

It quickly becomes apparent that it's an actual path, and I anxiously look around for any people or houses. I see none, and when I reach the path, I don't hesitate to step onto it. The grass has been trampled by somebody, or multiple somebodies, walking it, and I chew at my bottom lip as I look left and right.

What way should I go?

Neither direction looks better than the other, and I teeter back and forth before shrugging and taking off to the left. I'm really fucking hoping Lill wasn't lying all those times she said that faeries like humans. It's been a good twenty years since she was last here, and a lot can change in that time, but hopefully not too much.

I'd hate to be killed and turned into a stew for some freakishly attractive, purple-eyed family.

My pace quickens now that I'm not trying to stomp over thick grass, which is great timing considering the sun's reaching the highest point in the sky. The trees that are large enough to offer shade are far and few between, and they're just far enough away from the path that it isn't worth the extra steps to go to them.

I unfortunately don't spot anybody either, but I don't imagine this path is well used. It's not large enough to be.

Eventually, I pause to pull a granola bar and dried jerky out of my backpack. I ate a handful of nuts this morning before leaving the cabin, but I'm trying to be mindful of how much food I consume. I could only pack so much, and I don't know how long it will take to reach civilization.

Besides, even when I do reach it, I have no money to buy food.

I've considered trying to pickpocket a wallet or two, but I have a feeling that won't blow over well. Lill's always said faeries have quick reflexes, and I don't think taking the risk of getting thrown into whatever their version of prison is is my smartest move.

I'll see if I can flirt my way into a meal or two. I'm moderately attractive for a human, and I'm hoping that carries over here.

It better, or I'm screwed.

I munch down my food as I walk along the path. It gradually grows more pronounced, and I can barely believe my luck when it turns toward a proper gravel road. It's wide, and the gravel is crushed into small pieces and flattened into the ground.

It looks like vehicles drive down it.

This is precisely what I was hoping for, and I turn left once I reach it. That direction worked well for me last time, so I'm just going to continue it.

The gravel crunches under my feet, the sound a welcome distraction. Walking through the grass was relatively silent, and it was driving me crazy.

I work on my background story while I walk, perfecting it in case anybody asks. I don't want to draw unnecessary attention to myself, and I come up with acceptably vague answers for every possible question I think I'd be asked.

Where am I from? I'm from the human realm, but I came here when I was younger and grew up in a small town down south. If they pry into the location, I'll joke that they've probably never heard of it. If they ask what brought me here, I'll say I'm not sure and they'll need to ask my dad.

I'm hoping elusive and quietly brooding fathers are a thing here, too.

My feet ache, and I tilt my face toward the sun with a quiet sigh. This isn't nearly as fun as I thought it would be. While I assumed this would be an arduous journey, I hoped it would be exciting.

I don't feel excited or adventurous right now.

I'm hungry and thirsty, and my feet hurt. Plus, my back is still angry with me for last night's less-than-comfortable wooden bed.

Lill has no idea what's happening to me right now, but she better feel fucking honored. I'll be sure to tell her all about this when I return with her tea, and I expect her to graciously drop to her knees and kiss my knuckles. I deserve nothing less.

The land on either side of the road gradually shifts from empty and prairie-like to wooded. The large trees I've been occasionally crossing grow closer together, continuing until there's more of them than land. It makes it hard to see where exactly I'm heading, and I feel slightly uneasy, but I continue forward.

I have no other options.

It takes an hour of walking before I come across the hill of death. It's steep, and I glare at it from the moment I spot it until I'm at the base.

"This is bullshit," I groan.

It's going to take at least fifteen minutes to walk up. My poor hips.

Huffing, I tighten the straps on my backpack and get to climbing. The backs of my legs scream, and I comfort myself with the knowledge that this will at least tone up my thighs.

It's the longest fifteen minutes of my life, but it pays off when I reach the top and see what looks like a skyline in the distance. I'm staring directly into the sun, which is less than ideal, but I'm pretty confident I'm looking at the outline of buildings.

It's impossible to tell how large they are from this distance, but they look at least a few stories high. I can't believe I actually found one.

A small part of me thought I'd be walking through prairie until I died.

My heart pounds as I realize I'm about to enter a city full of faeries, but I shove my fear and trepidation deep down inside and continue forward. I need to keep moving.

The road I'm on leads directly to the city, and it grows larger the closer I get. Eventually, the land on either side of the road becomes cultivated, and I spot tiny houses tucked away between the trees.

They look similar to what I'd expect to see in the human realm. They're all one story and made of wood, and they have shingled roofing, large windows, and a front door. The most significant difference is that everything is a natural, earthy color.

Nothing looks painted or artificially colored.

It's kind of nice.

I still don't spot anybody, though, nor do I see any vehicles. Do the faeries walk everywhere? Maybe this is proof they open portals whenever they want to go somewhere. That must be nice.

My eyes continually dart around, and I eventually pause to put my sweatshirt on. I'd guess it's only four of five in the afternoon, so the sun is still relatively high in the sky and the air is warm, but I feel more comfortable with my upper body covered.

What if the faeries are modest?

Plus, the extra fabric helps block out the smell of my sweaty armpits.

The houses I've been passing gradually transform into larger buildings, most with glass fronts. All are dark inside, but I can't tell if that's because they're closed or if the glass is treated so you can't see in. In the case of the latter, I try not to stare.

These look like establishments, even if they lack all signage.

What's intended to be a sidewalk appears on either side of the gravel road, and I step onto it with shaky legs.

Where is everybody? It feels like I'm walking through a ghost town, and I'm beginning to think I've made a colossal mistake. What if they were somehow alerted I was coming and they all hid away? What if they think this is some game and they're hunting me down?

I saw that once in a movie.

I hug my arms to my chest, still following the sidewalk. I'm pretty sure I'm in the middle of the city right now. The buildings are all about three stories high, and I don't see anything taller behind them.

Now that I'm here, I'm unsure if I'd describe this place as a city, though. It's more of a town.

A door opens ahead, and I stop dead in my tracks as I spot a man stepping outside. He doesn't seem to notice me, and I stare with a slack jaw as he turns and locks the door behind him.

I've imagined what faeries look like, and he pretty much fits the bill.

He's at least six feet tall, and he's got an athletic frame and stark white hair. It stands out against his all-black, loose linen outfit, and I grimace and glance down at myself. If they're all leaning into this natural, earthy clothing vibe, I'm not going to fit in.

My black leggings are fine, but my bright red hoodie stands out.

I'm sweating, and I carefully remove my sweatshirt and tuck it into my bag. I'm wearing a dark green tank top underneath, which is significantly better even if it shows my skin.

The man turns away from me and begins walking down the sidewalk. I linger, weighing the pros and cons of approaching him, before hurrying forward.

My ass is clenched so tight it's going to be sore tomorrow morning.

"Excuse me!" I half shout.

My voice cracks, naturally, and my feet slap against the ground as I rush toward the man. He stops the moment he hears my voice, and he spins around quicker than my eyes can process. I do my best not to react to it.

I don't want him knowing he's the first fearie—at least, healthy one—I've ever met.

The man's eyes are startlingly purple, just like Lill's, and my throat runs dry as I take in his sharp jawline and full lips. Fuck. The faeries are good-looking people.

He cocks his head to the side as I approach, his gaze darting down my frame. They linger on my backpack straps before settling on my hands. I try not to be unnerved by it, and I continue forward until we're only a few feet apart.

The man smiles, putting me on edge.

I'm way out of my element, and I'm starting to fear I've made a huge mistake.

____

our first faerie 💖

Read one chapter ahead for free on Patreon, and subscribe to read through Chapter 12! Learn more at: patreon.com/inviwright

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

17.3K 923 56
The cruel prince of the Crown Pack is determined to reclaim his lost bride. There's only one problem: Ophelia would rather die than let her sister ma...
1.1K 90 14
.:True love... but make it fated:. Queen Serena of the Vale's idyllic world was shattered by her parents' tragic and unexplained disappearance, leav...
82.5K 5.4K 46
1st PLACE in the UNICORN AWARDS! On the anniversary of her best friends disappearance, Lyra is ready to accept the inevitability of his death. But wh...