She Fears Love

By XthatONEchicX

❝I knew the risks of falling in love... and yet I wanted to put my heart on the line for her.❞ Aleah Brooks l... More

She Fears Love
One | Designated Driver
Two | Morning After
Three | All The Teddies
Four | Meeting Again
Five | Curious But Cautious
Seven | New Gym, Familiar Face
Eight | The Truth About Love
Nine | Club Party Part 1
Ten | Club Party Part 2
Eleven | Cinnamon Rolls
Twelve | Set Up
Thirteen | Little Cupid
Fourteen | A Family Of Cupids
Fifteen | Almost, But Not Quite

Six | Lifetime Sentence

219 10 0
By XthatONEchicX

Aleah

I needed to avoid that man. For the simple fact that he already knew too much about me thanks to Britney. And because of the way he looked at me when he saw right through me trying to look like I was okay for Brit's sake.

Not that it worked anyway. Little girl saw right through me.

I understood he was one of her favorite people, but she couldn't have picked her brother to write the letter for her? I trusted him more than the stranger. Just because he was hot and because he was a decent human being didn't mean I trusted him.

But Britney did. If a child could trust someone, then I guess they were somewhat trustworthy.

Then again children trusted too easily.

Yeah, no. I was avoiding that man. As I had planned.

"You look like you're holding in a fart," Dulce, my best friend, took me out of my head as she walked past me with a server tray full of dirty dishes.

I scoffed as I walked into the kitchen with her, watching her set the dishes into the sink. "I'm not you."

She snorted, leading me back out to wait more tables with her.

Thanks to the perv of a manager at my old job, I had to quit said job. For one, I was kinda glad it happened because now I had time to babysit Britney. I really did miss her. But it left me too free on the days I didn't have to take care of her.

Thanks to Dulce, though, she put in a word for me to work with her at a cute little restaurant in the middle of the city. It was well known for the big menu options.

A three foot long, five inch thick burrito that you get to eat for free if you finished every last bit within forty minutes. So far only one person had succeeded and they had their picture up on one of the walls.

Realistically, the main reason the place was so popular was the work attire. Considering most of the consumers were male.

A cute little maid outfit that cinched the waist and left little to nothing to the imagination with the low scoop and short skirt. The thigh high stockings didn't really cover much either, but that was just because they barely went past my knees and couldn't stretch further.

Dulce pulled off the outfit a whole lot better with her skinny frame. I wasn't fat, but I couldn't change how wide I was under the waist. I had my momma to thank. Also, while I needed a push-up to show my nonexistent boobs, Dulce effortlessly showed off a double D rack.

That I was jealous of.

It was barely my second day here so I was still going through the training phase, following Dulce around to see how she handled every situation. I was always known to have more patience than my dear best friend, so I knew I'd be fine when the manager finally decided to let me work on my own.

While I wasn't following Dulce around though, I was helping in the kitchen. Washing dishes and mopping the floors. It was a fairly easy job.

The only thing Dulce did warn me about were the three busy days at the end of the week. Thought not very surprising considering the popularity and the weekend was when people were usually free so they went out to enjoy themselves.

No phones were allowed during working hours, and I had no trouble following the rules. But even though I put my phone on silent, I could feel the vibrations of my phone going crazy in the pocket of the skirt.

Looking over at the clock hung up on the wall, I realized I'd be out in a few minutes and decided to let whoever wanted to reach me wait just a bit longer. If it were an emergency they could've called my job.

Sure, not many people even knew about my new job. But still.

It wasn't like answering now or in five minutes would make a difference, even if it actually was an emergency.

• • •

"Where the hell have you been, young lady?"

The call didn't turn out to be an emergency. Just my dad wondering why I didn't go home at all before going to work. The usual.

Scolding was all this man knew how to do. Not loving or showing he cared about his wife or his daughter. Work, scold, sleep, wake up and do it again.

Twenty-one years old and he still treated me like a child who knew nothing about the world.

The man seated at the dining table cleared his throat and made me look up from my plate to meet his eyes. "Look at me when I'm talking to you."

I forced a smile on my face and set down my fork to give him my full attention, just wanting to get whatever he needed to say over with so I could excuse myself. I hardly even ate anything, but he always managed to make me lose my appetite. Every single time. Without fail.

"I'm sorry," I spoke clearly, just like he always asked me to speak to him. I was certainly not trying to get forced to apologize twice. Especially when apologizing for simply living my life was another usual occurrence. I wanted out of this house so bad, but I wouldn't let my mother suffer alone.

Married couples were supposed to set a beautiful example of what love was. All I got from my parents was that marriage was just a lifetime sentence that was expensive to get bailed out of.

Fuck love. And fuck marriage.

The only fun thing in relationships was the sex, and I got that already whenever I wanted anyway. I was good. I didn't need to put myself through the stress of caring about anyone I didn't need to care about.

Caring too much about something only meant you could get hurt easily.

My dad took his time chewing the food in his mouth as he kept his eyes on me. Taking a sip from his mug while still looking at me over the rim, he made his eyes into slits.

I braced myself for another scolding when he set the mug back down on the coaster. "I accept your apology."

Forcing a wider smile, I stood from my chair and carried my plate over to the kitchen counter.

"What's wrong, sweetie?" My mom quickly stood from her seat to come and help me, but my dad lifted a hand. Frowning, she flattened her skirt from the back before sitting back down.

There was no love in this household. Not even a family. Just one man who controlled two women.

"I called your work today when I couldn't reach you and they said you quit."

I stopped scooping my food into a Tupperware to blow out a defeated breath. Placing a hand on my hip and turning my body to face the kitchen table again, I lifted a brow. "I stopped working there last week. Sorry I didn't tell you."

In my defense, I knew where it was going if I did anyway. I at least managed to hold off this kind of scolding for a week. It was a record.

"I thought I taught you better than to just quit something like that." The cold tone in his voice made me wanna cry. But I didn't cry. Not in front of him. "I helped you get that job."

I turned back to keep storing my food in the container, swallowing back the lump in my throat. I didn't want to remember that work environment or the people in it. I hated working there.

"What have I told you about ignoring me when I talk to you?"

Having had enough, I slammed the plate on the counter and spun to look at him once more. "I had to quit okay? Your friend was weird and creepy and he threatened me!" Tears were pricking my eyes and I hated showing him how vulnerable I was, but I was tired of him always critiquing me. "I never asked you to get me that job anyway. I told you I could handle it. You never trust me."

My mom saw how distressed I was and tried to come over to me again, but of course my dad wouldn't let her. "Sit down."

"But-"

"Sit."

Giving me an apologetic smile, she did as my dad instructed and looked down at her lap. Angry tears threatened to spill and I walked over to the sink to rip a napkin off the roll.

"Threatened you how?"

Dabbing the napkin into the corner of my eyes, I did my best to calm myself by doing a quick breathing exercise. When I felt I was composed enough, I faked a smile again and finished putting my food into the fridge before walking over to the edge of the table.

"I guess it doesn't matter if you won't believe me anyway."

Without letting him talk, I made my way up the stairs and locked myself in my room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 18.4K 43
HIGHEST RANKS EVER: #4 in #ENEMIES (2021) #1 in #ENEMIESWITHBENEFITS (2021) #1 in #HUMOR (2020) #1 in #BOYFRIEND (2021) Sometimes in an unproductive...
482 63 16
"She is broken from the inside. He is broken on the outside. But together, they make something beautiful. Something, beautifully broken." Renae comes...
428K 11.3K 44
"I didn't need your help." I snapped harshly. Alex laughed bitterly "Oh, right you wanted to be bullied, criticized and hit." he said sarcastically. ...
Broken By Claire

Teen Fiction

5.4K 215 40
Grace Jackson has been dealing with self hatred since middle school. It only became worse as the school years went by, and just when Grace feels it's...