One | Designated Driver

Sebastian

There was a lot of things I wanted to do during my free time. Girls weren't one of them.

So when Ryan, my best friend and roommate, invited me to a party with the rest of the guys, I told him my usual excuse: I was too tired from work. Not a full lie, but if I wanted to go, I had enough energy for it. Parties just weren't my thing.

Never mind all the drunk and sweaty bodies; that wasn't what bothered me. The pretty girls themselves were reason enough for me to avoid those sorts of places. And no, I wasn't gay.

Any place where girls could entice me were off limits. A lot of the time, they didn't want anything serious anyway. They made you believe they did, then ended up crushing you when they had the chance.

I fell for it once, knew not to fall for it again.

"Hey, are you sure you don't wanna go?" Ryan tried to make sure for the tenth time, waiting by the door.

I waved him off and grunted as I lowered myself onto the couch with a beer in hand. I took a long swig, releasing a sigh of content before setting the bottle down on the coffee table in front of me.

"Just go, man. Have fun." I assured him.

"All right." He didn't look pleased, but knew I wouldn't budge no matter how much he insisted. "You got my back if I need a ride, though, right?"

"You know you can count on me, bro."

"You the best." He patted his hand over his heart and grinned goofily, blowing a kiss as he waved his fingers at me. "Byeee."

"Later." I waved back normally, grabbed my beer, and took another long sip.

Once he shut the door after him, I was left all alone.

About five minutes later, I leaned back against the cushions and blew out a deep breath. Talk about boredom. The house without Ryan was lonely and depressing.

A quick look at the time showed me that it was only half past nine.

Might as well go to sleep, I thought.

I quickly chugged the rest of my beer, disposed of the bottle, and went into my room. Thankfully, it wasn't long after I laid down that I knocked out.

The sound of my phone ringing woke me up no later than a few hours after I fell asleep. The night sky was still visible from my window, and the moonlight was the only thing illuminating my room.

I grumbled as I reached out to grab my phone, squinting at the bright screen. I quickly tapped the answer button before pressing the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hey, papiiii!"

I sighed in defeat at the sound of Ryan's voice and the drunk laughter in the background. I knew where this was going. I sat up and didn't give him time to say anything else. "I'm on my way."

"Can you— oh. How'd you know?"

I rubbed one hand over my face. "Because it's you."

Instead of sheepishly admitting that I was right—like he usually did every time he called me drunk—he cursed Nathan repeatedly. I pushed my eyebrows together in confusion, until I heard Ryan's voice sounding farther and farther away. Nathan stole and ran away with his phone, I figured.

"Hey, Sebby!" Nathan shouted into the phone, sounding completely out of breath.

I couldn't help but chuckle. "Hey, man."