Fifteen | Almost, But Not Quite

Sebastian

I felt weird. I'd been holding on to this damn book for a week now, waiting to see her to give it to her.

I felt like a dick when she left it behind after I teased her about the cover. Dick move to ruin something she seemed to be interested in. Especially because after reading the summary at the back myself, it seemed like a cute little romance.

The fucking cover just caught me off guard.

She hadn't been around last weekend to babysit, so the book had just been sitting in my glove compartment until today. Nathan told me she'd be here.

Taking in a deep, calming breath, I took the book out of its safe haven and got out of my car. I noticed one of the curtains upstairs move shortly after I slammed my car door shut, but didn't look in time to see who it was. It was Britney's window, and if it was her, she would've still been there to wave at me.

Something told me it was Aleah.

I clutched the book tighter in my hand, being careful not to bend the pages too much. Last thing I needed was to damage her gift.

Habit made me reach for the doorknob, but instead I lifted my fist and knocked. Only a couple of seconds passed before the knob turned and the door swung open.

She looked... different. Not in a bad way at all. She always looked effortlessly beautiful. This time it just looked... purposeful. Like she was going on a date when she was done here.

My eyebrows dipped in confusion. Nathan mentioned she'd be here all weekend, because his dad was on a business trip and his mom was taking care of his sick grandma.

I didn't take her as someone to leave Brit on her own, let alone someone who brought men over to a house that wasn't hers. My chest tightened with a feeling I didn't understand.

The smile she was offering me when she opened the door faltered and she twisted her left shoe into the ground, playing with the hem of her shirt. "Britney is in her room watching TV. She's been wanting me to join her, but I'm cleaning so she'd be happy to see you're here."

Nodding, I stepped inside and handed her the book, doing my best not to look down her shirt. It wasn't that low of a cut, but as someone who was taller, it was easy to see the crevice of her breasts in just a small v neck.

She took the book from my hands and her natural blush poked through her makeup. "Thank you." She mumbled, hugging the book to her chest. When I saw her boobs get pushed up even more, I looked away completely and walked past her.

"I'll be upstairs."

"Okay."

As expected, Brit jumped up from her spot on the floor when she saw me and ran up to throw herself in my arms. I lifted her up in the air before sitting on her bed and setting her on my lap.

She only stayed sitting for a minute before she jumped off and started grabbing random toys to pile them on my thighs. I allowed her to do as she pleased, too busy in my own mind to really mind what she was doing.

The few times I've seen her babysit, she wore comfy clothes and a bare face. Comfort. Comfort was her signature look when it came to babysitting. She had on skin tight jeans and a tight v neck and makeup.