The Arrangement by Chauhan

By remixthestory

A cycle of falling in love, marrying, and falling out again leads to love. Because love is the endgame. _____... More

Copyright Šī¸
The Arrangements
1) The papers
2) Home?
3) Announcement.
4) Proposal
5) Temple
6) Office
7) Petal
8) Alcohol
9) Hangover
10) Wallflower
11) Love
12) Dinner
13) Thief
14) Hangry
15) Siblings
16) 7 days
17) Breathless
18) Hate?
19) Dance
20) Silence
22) Lost
23) Promise
24) Blood
25) Wife
26) New beginnings
27) Lunch
28) Truth
29) Punishment
30) Redemption
31) Mother
32) Flowers
33) Parents
34) Choices
35) Sunrise
36) Family
37) Chaos
38) Destruction
39) Sleep
40) Life
41) Chase
42) Fight
43) Death
44) Voice
45) Daughter
Epilogue Part 1
Epilogue Part 2
Snippets from Chauhan Household

21) The past

5.4K 337 34
By remixthestory

Shreya paced the lengths of his cabin. The wooden furnished floor screeched under her boots, the click-clock of her steps raising her anger at each point that the world faded. She felt like a woman trapped inside the mirror watching the world around her moving yet she could never make her presence known. She may scream, kick, or bang but no one would hear her or notice.

His contract was the glass mirror that trapped her.

Like a poisonous branch, it was wrapping it around her body sucking the air out of her and killing her slowly.

All because of one mistake she made.

The phone in her palms chimed and she flinched as if she was slapped back to reality. The gravity pulled her down into the pit she had dug for herself.

With dread filling her heart, she read the notification that made her swallow the bile back.

It was time.

Old Cotton Factory, Street 10.
Colaba.
Today 6 pm.

She re-read the words and the contempt towards her past actions. Biting her cheeks, she clenched her eyes shut and stood with her head ducked down as she controlled the angry tears back.

Breathing deeply, she calmed her nerves and glanced at the clock which screamed 12 Noon yet there was no sign of the man she had been waiting for the past 3 hours in this closed space.

She dialed his number and kept waiting for him to receive it, the dial tone mocking her.

"I am so stupid waiting for him." She admonished herself and rubbed her temples as the early signs of Migraine kicked in and her left eye vision turned blurry. Heaving, she kept her head against the cold glass desk. Sitting at the edge of her seat across the table.

Some more minutes passed and she was lulled into a light sleep only to be jolted back by the loud ringing of her device, followed by a loud knock on her locked door.

She glared at him as he gestured for her to unlock the door while he pressed the device on his ear.

Turning towards the screen, she yanked the phone, answering it snappily.

"Will you keep acting like you were a mistake on god's behalf?" She hollered from behind his closed cabin doors.

"Will you open the damn door?" He rolled her eyes at her and tried the handle to open it.

"I wish I had the sense to run for hills when I met you decades before." She yelled back.

"You are taking unfair advantage of my soundproof cabin." He frowned and hung up as she glared. She unlocked the glass door and stepped aside for him to enter the room designated to him on this executive floor.

"You are late!" She accused him of stalking forward and he gulped. She scoffed seeing him like a victim when in reality, he could watch the world burning and laugh like an idiot in the middle of flames. "Just because you are entitled to be a Chauhan you think others are fools to step into the office 15 minutes before their timings. But being the boss, you are 3 hours late. What were you busy doing? Taking your sweet time in waking up?"

"One needs to sleep to wake up, Meri jaan." He mumbled choosing to yawn at the same time.

"What were you doing?" Her eyes turned into slits wanting to eat him up at that moment.

"No one in my family has slept, Shreya. Vidyut is refusing to talk to any of us and Mom is too tense. Dad," He sighed "Well, let's say Dadi and Dad are no longer sharing the same roof as she wants Avantika Aunty to stay some days and Dad will destroy the very foundation of the place if she ever steps in."

"Why does he hate her so much?" She wondered. What she had heard was that Harshvardhan Chauhan had only one living sister- Avantika Sahay, and another sibling – Jahnvi Chauhan Dhanrajgir was killed in a deadly accident some 25 years back.

"I wish I knew the root cause. What I know, is that Avantika Aunty wanted to adopt Vidyut. She voiced out her concern and Vidyut seemed to overhear them, he had fainted and that created a ruckus. Since then, Mom never let her step in her house again." He filled her barring his teeth as the rage seeped in his veins. "She kept trying and finally Dadi brought her home last year. Vidyut stormed off only to come back 3 days later married."

She frowned "Married with Uttara?"

He hummed rounding his desk and taking the boss chair. "Dadi made a rule. None of us can leave the mansion until we start our own family. Anirudh Bhai negotiated it to marriage and it was followed by Vidyut."

"Are you...I mean you are adamant on marrying me because of this?" She blinked baffled, trying to make sense of his words.

"I love being home, Shreya. You know me better than this." He smirked picking up the paper weight and spinning it. "My reasons for marrying you are different. Although, this comes as an advantage to me."

Her eyes turned to slits as she caught the glass ball before it could drop down. "What are those reasons?"

His lips quirked up in an amused smile "It is not Christmas yet, is it, Meri jaan?"

It was futile asking him to explain again. He would never let out any information if he wasn't willing to.

She dropped the subject while he went through his files leisurely.

"Rakshit" She took his name like a nervous whisper and he hummed.

He was distracted and it could be the best chance to make her demand.

"I need 3 crores." She uttered the words. Fearing them to go unheard, she clenched her eyes shut.

"You need what?" He chuckled in disbelief. "I think I didn't hear that right."

"I need 3 crore rupees, Rakshit." She gritted, slow and loud for him.

His eyes widened. "And, what for?"

"That" She licked her lips "I can't tell you. Not now."

He leaned back, scrutinizing her like a hawk. "So, you need 3 crore and you can't tell me why?"

She squirmed in her seat and shook her head. "I will but later?"

He snorted a husky chuckle. Straightening, he pushed the chair back and stood up.

"Can you give me or not?" She asked impatiently as he rounded the desk with his narrowed eyes set on her.

"Depends." He smirked.

"On what?" Shreya fidgeted with her fingers, clutching her thighs hard. Her nails would surely leave marks on her skin.

"If we get married soon or you keep pushing it." He answered stopping behind her back, his fingers easing the tight bun and letting her hair free. "Because giving you this huge sum in advance is risky. I need some assurance, don't I?"

"You don't trust me?" she asked feeling hatred towards her as she felt vulnerable in front of him, begging for her freedom by getting stuck into another golden cage. "Marriage is no game. We are engaged. Is that not enough?"

He shook his head in negative "I promised to give you a crore every month. I have deposited the amount for the past months on time but giving you another 3 as an advance was not a part of the deal."

"What if I refuse to marry you?" Shreya breathed in.

"Then, you can kiss your job goodbye. The moment you say stop, the contract will be null and void and you will be free to walk away. But can you afford that, meri jaan?"

She gritted her teeth harshly, nails digging into her palms and ready to draw out blood. "I n...need time. Our families decided the date after 3 months."

"But I say we marry in a week." He offered thoughtfully. "I can give you more than 3 crores at once. You can use the money any way you want. No questions asked."

"You will do that?" She faced him surprised.

He hummed. "You will do what I say and that will pretty much the deal be."

"I...I can never get married for an agreement." She hesitated, averting her eyes.

"Then stay and work with me. 3 months and you will have 3 crores in your pocket or tell me why you want the money and I will lend it to you. "

He sat back in his seat and watched her with knowing eyes before picking up his file and reading.

The silence suffocated her while the device burned her palms.

"Can you not lend me because I am your friend?" She tried again keeping her pride aside. "I can choose neither of the two."

"Doesn't look like my problem." He remarked coldly.

She nodded a little, fisting her palms she stood up from her seat and cleared her throat silently, now wanting her voice to waver. "I shall go back to work."

"You should."

His dismissal ripped her dignity apart. Taking slow breaths, she made her way out of the doors and towards the washroom at the end of the floor.

Her hands shook as she held the wash basin, heaving for deep breaths to calm the erratic heartbeats that resonated in her mind as she tried to think a way out.

She splashed some water on her face and pushed her hair back as she watched her reflection. The diamond ring reflected in the bright light and mocked her. Gritting her teeth, she tried taking it off but as if it was glued, it didn't move.

Unlike the last week, this ring had shrunk and nubbed on her finger like a second skin. Unmoving.

She screeched in frustration, the empty washroom witnessing her frustration. Pushing her hair back, she panted leaning against the counter, and sobered herself.

"You can hold them, Shreya. You have done it before, you can do it again." She tried convincing herself. "Call him and take some more time. He will agree to it."

Pulling her hair in a high ponytail, she tipped her chin up.

The dial tone stabbed the silence as she waited with bated breath for the receiver to answer.

"You called. Am I dreaming?" The snicker from the other end made her bite her tongue to not lash out.

"Girish." She bit his name sourly.

"Did you call someone else, Doll face? Have I disappointed you?" He sneered, clearly enjoying the duress on her head.

"No. I called you." She chipped.

"See. You do miss me. I feel honored."

Cut the bullshit!

She gritted back the words, not wanting to offend him as right now, she was the one who needed his favor.

"I am seeing you this evening, am I not? So, why this call?" He asked as she could hear other voices, some of the men laughing and talking loudly.

"I do not have money. I need more time." She cut to the topic.

"You do not have money? What a joke." He cackled and she pushed the phone back not wanting to hear his ugly laughter. "You, the bride of Chauhan do not have money? Who are you trying to fool?"

"I am not lying." She gritted. "My engagement has nothing to do with this debt, Girish. I need more time to get that much amount."

"Then you should have thought about this before." He hissed the laughter and amusement drying up. "You did not care before taking that huge some from me but now you keep running away when it is time to repay. I need my second installment anyhow today. Bring 3 crores to the given address or kiss your family goodbye, Thapar."

"Look, I do not have..."

"Looks I like care?" He snared.

She flinched.

"Please, I need time." Biting her lower lip, she kept her tears at bay. Cursing the trust she had in that one person who brought her to this situation, she tried again. "Please. Girish. 3 crores is a big amount. I need some time. Give me a month..."

"A week." He announced. "A week is all you get, Shreya Thapar before I strip you naked infront of the so-called media you work for. Give me my money, or get ready to hang yourself to death."

She cupped her mouth to stop any sound, more likely the sob that was ready to break through her insides.

"But you know what, I won't let you die in peace too. For, I will get my money by torturing your family and that pretty fiancé of yours after you die." He snickered darkly. "A week. Meet me at the same address with cash and I shall think about extending the deadline for your last installment being the generous man I am."

His threat shook her knees and she slumped against the marble floor. Ugly tears fell down her cheeks as she slammed her lips shut using her palm. Her nails dug into her cheeks.

"I hope to see your pretty face soon."

The line dropped, and so as the phone because of her grip.

The sob escaped her throat tearing down any masks she had pulled. Pulling her knees closer, she dug her face between them and cried for a stupidity she did months back and was still suffering its aftereffects.

The sound of the door being unlocked was muffled by the gasp that followed.

"Shreya!"

The horrified voice called her name and she snapped up to look at the person she least expected.

"What is wrong? What happened?"

A pair of gentle hands cupped her face.

Shreya hiccupped. "Bh...Bhabhi"

■ ■⁠ ■

"Lights set, camera rolling, and action!"

The loud shout from the director from the packed tent area in the wild bushes put Uttara into motion as she flinched at the fake gunshot sound, her eyes closing as if in pain she imagined was reflected on her face. She touched the place the blood bag was attached to her saree, the pin doing it job as the fake blood erupted and covered her hand, trailing down her skin and soaking into the fabric as she stumbled backward.

"You made me an animal, Jia." Her co-actor snarled at her character, shooting again and she screamed in pain, jolting back as the director instructed them.

"Ritesh..." Her words trailed as a tear rolled down her face and she fell back.

"I had loved you with everything in me, yet you couldn't look past my doings. You considered me a monster and see, I proved to be a monster yet again." He crouched near her, nozzle trailing down the side of her face as he smiled with a pain of his own. "I have killed my precious treasure. I killed you."

"Excellent! Cut." The director clapped, and so as the people on set.

"Are you okay?" Shikhar Goyal, her co-actor helped her up and winced as the blood coated her skin. "You did well."

"So do you." Uttara appreciated them and the director walked towards them.

"The pain was so real, Great job you two." He slapped Shikhar's back and moved to side-hug Uttara when he scrunched back. "Sorry, that is a little too much blood."

Uttara laughed at his facial expressions. "I feel filthy and it looks creepy so I totally get you."

"We have to take some close shots of you as a dead body, it will be quick. After that, you can change." He instructed and one of the make-up artists came to wipe any traces of blood spot here or there.

Her eyes quickly scanned the thin crowd as they shot the movie climax, resting on Nitya who looked distressed yet managed a small tight smile.

"Everything okay?" Uttara mouthed to her manager who pursed her lips but nodded nonetheless.

"We will talk later."

Uttara read her lip-sync and showed her thumps up to be quick.

"It is done, ma'am." The make-up artist stepped back from her.

"Thank you, Didi," Uttara said and laid back in the previous position. The spot boys poured some on grass and around her to make it look real.

"Alright! We are good to go." The director caught the attention and all stepped back. "Ritesh" He called Shikhar's character name. "You will be walking backward, drop the gun, and leave the frame."

"You got that, Shashank." Shikhar showed him a thump in affirmation, nodding at Uttara.

They had come to respect each other, and the spark of friendship could be found in them while shooting this movie. Shikhar Goyal was a superstar who had been giving three back-to-back hits for the last 24 months that he has established his career and Uttara has come to like his company on sets. They usually participated in banters, chats, gossip, and lunch on set together.

The only downside was that he was a charming flirt who was late for the schedule, he was a star and it came naturally to the status that he acquired. A little arrogant, and impudent, yet a person she could bear the company of.

Uttara had been in the industry from the age of 13, starting as a child actor. She was selected from her inter-school drama competition and quickly gained support from the directors in order to be in the good books of her father, Justice Amitesh Sinha.

If only she could remain in his good books.

The relationship with her parents was strained when she decided to step out of their laid-out career path and decided to be an actor but the scandal that destroyed her career had burned the leftover pull between them.

She was shaken out of her thoughts by a nudge to her shoulder.

"He is been calling you." Shikhar mock glared at her, jilting his chin sneakily towards the director who seemed to throw different instructions to the crew.

"Uttara, you understand?" Shashank came back to her and she glanced at Shikhar who bit back his grin but blinked as if telling her to say yes.

"Yes." She answered quickly.

"Alright! Uttara lay still, little whimpers, and then dead. Eyes wide open. You will have to stop breathing for 30 seconds and we will be quick. At any point you feel suffocated, you are free to cut. Am I clear?"

"Yes, Shashank." She nodded with assurance and heard chatters dying as he got the cameras rolling.

Another hour and she was done with close-ups, long shots, over-the-shoulder ones, and all others they needed.

Wrapping a towel around her bloodied clothes, she was walking towards the vanity to wash it off. Crossing the set, she pushed the tent open and walked towards the huge white vanity when an abrupt horn and angry car screeches made her startle and jump back in fright.

"What the..." She pressed her palm on her erratic heart that seemed ready to pop up. Ready to give peace of her mind to the person driving she rushed and knocked on the tinted window. She saw a middle-aged driver who grimaced in apology "Is this the way you drive? This is a shooting location. You could have caused some serious damage."

"Blood looks good on you, sweetheart." She snapped to look away from the man towards the other side where someone who she had known for a good amount of time, stepped out from the back seat.

Dressed as per his fame, stood the man responsible for her new start and lost relations.

The man who destroyed her dreams and shattered her self-respect in a million pieces before he dumped her like trash in the middle of the night. He was the cause of her insecurities and constant need to hold onto some anchor to not drown in the endless abyss of pity and self-hatred.

"Rocky Makhija." She took the name with loathing.

"So, you do remember me?" He drawled, removing his sunglasses, and taking a once over on her. "You look sexy in all that blood and makeup. A turn I tell you."

"You will remain a scum." Uttara shook her head as if done being here. She tried turning back to leave, fingers clutching onto her saree edges to stop her mind from replaying her nightmares.

"You have grown a new skin. Is it the doctor?" He snickered, leaning against his car. "You know, you can still come to me if he wouldn't satisfy you. I do not touch used things but you are always an exception. You were special."

"I wish I could tell you exactly what you are, Rocky." Fisting her palms, she inhaled to not hit him square on his face as it would take seconds to blow up, like those months back. "But you know, you aren't worth my time."

"You cannot estimate my worth." He chuckled, not bothered by her glares or the people who walked passed them watching the interaction. It looked like two old friends catching up.

Nitya came rushing to her side out of the blue, holding her shivering fists. She took a look at her and then back at the man unworthy of life. "What are you doing here, Mr. Makhija?"

"Oh. Hey, Nitya." Rocky grinned, his brows hunching in amusement. "Still saving the sinking ship?"

"No, Mr. Makhija." She gritted with a clenched jaw. "I am protecting a treasure, one you would never understand the value of."

"You and your poetic references." He snickered, shaking his head. "There is no value in that so-called treasure. You are wasting your skills and time. You are still welcome to join my team. I will personally make it worthy for you."

"I appreciate but I will decline like the previous 12 times." She piped, mocking an apologetic smile, and glanced at Uttara who glared at him. "Come. We will be late."

Uttara nodded but refused to avert her glare from him. "You are right." She stepped forward, meeting his gaze head-on. His car separated them. "I cannot estimate your worth. I didn't learn the number system below negative decimals. I wish I had so I could tell you that you are worth below them."

"You slut." He hissed, ready to charge at her but stopped feeling presence around them, his snarl covered with a vindictive smile. "I will make you pay for this and the previous account. We have an old balance to settle, Sweetheart."

Uttara rolled her eyes at his threat, crossing her arms as she sized her enemy up. "With god's grace, Rocky. I have started earning well so paying you some peanuts wouldn't be a bother."

"You will know what a bother I can be, Uttara Sinha or should I say, Mrs. Vidyut Chauhan?" He smirked stepping back and straightening.

"Are you threatening us?" Nitya assessed, fetching her phone, and dangling the device infront of him, challenging him to continue.

"Of course, not." Rocky cleared out quickly while his eyes remained on Uttara. "It was nice to see you today."

"Hope I never see you again." She gritted and rushed inside her vanity, slamming the door close to let out the rage rolling in her veins seeing that vile creature who was responsible for her decline.

Although, she was glad that she met Vidyut in the middle of the mess leaving the career she made for herself back and restarting like a fresher was hard and frustrating.

"You need to calm down." Nitya entered and touched her shoulder. "Change and then we need to be at the teaser launch event."

Uttara clutched her eyes together, wanting to stop her brain from playing her past, his face, and the days that she had felt trapped between the four walls of her room that closed up onto her every second she stayed.

"Uttara. Are you with me?"

She was yanked out of her thoughts and pushed towards the washroom. Nitya closed the door on her face, gesturing her towards the clothes and to the mirror.

"Change. Now."

She doffed her filthy clothes and took a shower, scrubbing any blood, touch, and memories of her skin. Wearing the dress pushed on her, she quickly changed into an off-white chicken corset top, loose-bottom pants, and an embroidered jacket matching the splash-dye fabric.

She was showing off this outfit in her teaser launch event for the last movie she completed some 3 months back. Today, there was a formal event announcing the movie trailer and release dates, media interaction, and a formal dinner.

Her hair was curled, her face painted with utmost perfection, and dark pink lipstick on her face that completed her outfit.

She took a snap of her mirror showing her partial face and hair adding it to her Instagram story creating a buzz among her fans.

"Come, the car is here." Nitya took a long look at her and nodded in appreciation.

Uttara smiled at her and moved out of the vanity, hurrying into the car to avoid any chance of meeting with the paparazzi who could release her look before she entered the event. Luckily, no paps were allowed on the sets today because of the climax shooting.

Settling inside the car, she scrolled through her Instagram feed. She liked, commented, and re-shared posts until her smile froze finding a gossip sight reporting about the next project she had signed just two days back.

"Nitya."

Nitya turned towards her with a frown, distress in her voice must have alarmed her. "Yes."

She handed her cell phone to her manager, "It was supposed to be Dev Singhvi. Didn't they say it was him in the lead?"

"They were in talks with him." Nitya read the headlines and pursed her lips looking unsurprised. She took the phone and went through the whole article. "Do you wish to...um...back out?"

Uttara looked at nothing particular, staring into the spaces, and shook her head. "We cannot afford that."

"Will you be able to work with him?" Her manager looked at her with empathy, knowing how that man had affected her in the past.

"I think I can." Uttara swallowed gathering determination in her heart.

"It is Rocky." Nitya reminded her again.

"I know."

So let the drama begin.
Sorry for the delay, the week had been busy.

Any questions? Feel free to ask.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9M 77.4K 61
Demons aren't born, They are made... The Rathores, One of the most powerful and influential family of the whole world. Rulers of Rajasthan and known...
524K 43K 49
For as long as Niharika could remember, she led a simple life overshadowed by her own misery. Despite belonging to a well-established family and bein...
679K 32.8K 65
Everyone deserves second chances, but not for the same mistakes ofcourse. How much it sucks when you know you should let go, but you can't because so...