Roommate Roulette

بواسطة sophiawr1tess

"He was my anchor. Grounding me from chaos that swarms my thoughts." 𑁍 • 𑁍 • 𑁍 EVELYN AMHERST's parents co... المزيد

Dedication
Playlist
Prologue
1 | The Man
2 | Green Eyes and Ham
3 | Smart-ass
4 | Cold showers
5 | Braids
6 | Paradisal Disaster
7 | Absolute Gibberish
8 | Like 5 Year Olds
9 | Five, five, five, five
10 | You're being a creep
12 | Ensue your canoodling
13 | 54321
14 | Luscious locks
15 | Flirting and bickering
16 | Without trees
17 | A game
18 | Secret
19 | Young love
20 | Kick their asses
21 | File a lawsuit
22 | A horse trampled on it
23 | Just for tonight
24 | Finger gun
25 | Do I have to repeat myself?
26 | Not nothing
27 | Worst mood swings

11 | Not up for negotiating

41 1 0
بواسطة sophiawr1tess

[-Grayson-]

I opened the door just a fraction to stop Eve from falling out of the car. I brushed the hair out of her face, not even caring that I possibly looked strange to others.

I took out my phone and recorded her snoring for three seconds. I'm going to use that against her later. 

I contemplated waking her up as I weighed the pros and cons. 

I swept an arm under her knees and one carefully below her back. I picked her up, finding out she was extremely light. Two things came into my mind. One after another.

Has she been eating?

Why do I care?

I slammed the car shut with my foot and locked it with keys in my hand. Eve squirmed, for a second I thought she was awake, but her head settled against my chest, sighing. I shifted her into a more comfortable position as I entered the elevator.

Thank God there wasn't anyone in here with me.

If any of the guys caught me carrying a girl, they would hold it against me forever. 

Yet again... totally worth it.

I managed to make it up the few stairs to our apartment and I unlocked the door with the key card under her legs. Her weight barely bothered me, which somehow bugged me even more.

Her nose brushed my chest and I grew stiff, unfamiliar to the sudden contact. Oblivious in her sleep, she tucked herself closer to me, her arms clasped to her chest.

Her hair was still slightly wet and I wondered if she wanted to take a shower first. I bit my lip, but decided to let her rest after today.

If she woke up, she would probably beat me up for it, thinking she's a burden on others. I also just wished she knew that no one would think of her so lowly. She'd hit my arm and tell me to wake her up next time.

I took a sweep around her room and it was filled with art supplies and a specific corner just for studying. 

I set her onto her bed and pulled the white comforter onto her body. I gave myself some time to admire the angel laying in front of me. She's stubborn as always, unwilling to cooperate and that's what keeps catching my attention.

I picked up a pen and a sticky note, plastering it onto her bedside table. I quickly jotted down some words.

I hope you slept well. Keep the clothes.

I placed the pen down tentatively, wondering if I wrote too little―maybe too much? I shook it off and glanced at her one more time before shutting off her lamp.

"Anyone down to go out tmrw?" My phone went off with the notification. It was from Yousef in the volleyball group chat.

I met Yousef during my years in elementary school, along with Noah and Ezra. He's one of the first friends I've made and probably the most extroverted out of our whole friend group. Talks to too many people to be honest, parents love him, kids love him. 

"Can't, sorry. I have to study for midterms." Noah replied, then added, "Bc, yk, being smart and shit."

Noah has been tutored over the summer and his grades have been slowly improving. Normally, his goals were in sports, but news flash, his parents won't approve unless he graduates. He's been through a lot with me and cancelled some games just to take care of Gabby when I have to look over Ma.

"Also can't." Ezra didn't offer any further explanation, but Noah liked his message.

"I'm free." I typed out. "Where to?"

"Idk, just walk around campus for the heck of it and maybe spend our life savings." Was the only answer provided by Yousef.

Wyatt replied to Ezra's chat. "Why are you even here? You don't even play vb. Also, no life = going out with friends. I have no life."

Wyatt, Ezra and Forrest were their own trio during grade 9 and until now. Surprise, surprise, we don't use shit like 'freshman' or 'sophomore'. How can Americans even memorise that?

Bonded over beach volleyball after our graduation at the beach. We knocked a volleyball into Ezra's head and nearly started a fight. Fuck, we might've gotten into one if it weren't for those stupid graduation gowns. I never said it was a good idea to play in those anyway.

We probably looked like Disney princesses trying to catch a firefly.

"He asked me to add him bc he felt left out." I wrote that without hesitation with a smile on my face.

"You didn't have to expose me like THAT." I only smirked even harder.

Forrest picked that time to join the conversation. "I can't at night but I'll go during lunch or smth like that."

"Ooh, plans with your girl?" Ezra asked, adding an unneeded emoji.

I could feel his eyeroll through the screen. "Not like you're required to know, but yes."

I left my phone on the counter and prepared to go to bed.

I didn't bother to change or anything like that. After a week of non-stop school, the tiredness caught up with me. The second I hit the bed, I allowed the darkness to consume me.

𑁍 • 𑁍 • 𑁍

{~Evelyn~}

I found myself stretching in my own bed. I reached for my bottle of water to assist the dryness in my throat. Right beside my water, I spotted a note stuck onto the bedside table. 

I sat up and still felt the material of Grayson's clothes draped on my body. My head spun and my vision swam.

I hope you slept well. Keep the clothes.  

Am I sure this was from Grayson? Because this isn't the Grayson I knew.

I scanned my room, just in case, and I slipped the note into my desk for safe keeping.

I moved to the washroom and washed my face, brushing away my hair that were stuck onto my face. I took a bit of Tylenol for my headache. Thank goodness it's a Saturday.

"So this is how fucking bad I looked." I muttered to myself in the mirror.  

I hummed to myself as I changed into clothes one after a quick shower.

I stayed in the washroom after and accepted a group call with Josie, Val and Alaina. We talked for a few hours and I told them about how California was. How sometimes the beaches aren't always  perfect with clear oceans and soft sand. I said I didn't miss it at all and none of these prodded me for it. 

We talked for hours until we all decided to resume this call once we finished our daily tasks and homework.

I put up my hoodie and stalked out of my room, keeping my head down. I heard laughs and voices from the living room. Not wanting to disturb, I quietly opened the fridge, gulping down the last of the orange juice as breakfast straight from the bottle.

Grayson noticed me first and cocked an eyebrow at me.

I shook my head dismissively.

He ignored me and excused himself from everyone. Wyatt, Forrest and Yousef all looked to where Grayson's focus was. 

Great. Attention. Just what I needed.

They all waved to greet me and I mustered a smile, still amused at their energy at this time of day.

"Morning." He said, leaning against the counter closest to me.

"Morning." I muttered back, my eyes flying all over the room to look at everything but him. My fingers tap anxiously on the orange juice bottle and I shifted on my feet.

God, I can't believe I fell asleep and made him fucking carry me  up the stairs and elevators. I probably looked like a rag doll or something. I averted his gaze, not wanting him to bring up the instance from yesterday.

His eyes dropped down to the bottle in my hand. "Is that what you're having this morning?" He tilted his head every so slightly, in a form of a genuine question.

I nodded. "Yeah." My voice came out hoarse and I cleared my throat.

"No food?" 

"Technically, fruits are food and this is orange juice, if you haven't noticed. Fruits are their own food  group, I mean, if that doesn't say anything to you, I'd consider it-"

"Smart-ass." He muttered quietly. "Grilled cheese?" He interrupted me, picking up a loaf of bread, leaving no space for arguments. "It helps with hangovers. Drink some water too." He advises. 

"Oh no-." 

He glared at me. "I wasn't asking."

I jabbed a finger at his muscular bicep, which was slightly covered by his beige tee. "You said it in the form of a question."

"Let me rephrase: I'm going to make grilled cheese for you." He turned on the stove and added oil to the pan. He pronounced each syllable with a clap. 

"I don't need-"

"Ah ah ah," He put a finger on my lips, effectively shutting me up. My lips burned―they burn and I haven't eaten anything hot yet, is that a bad thing?—when his finger came in contact with my skin. "It's not up for negotiating."

I swatted his arm away, visibly accepting defeat. "Bossy, much?" I said, shoving his shoulder. He smirked at me before turning his attention back onto the heated pan.

I don't think staying in my room all day is going to do much so I plopped into an empty seat on the floor in the living room.

"Is the ground that comfortable?" Yousef asked.

I laughed. "Oh shut up. What are you guys talking about?"

Wyatt shrugged. "Anything. So far with the question, is a hotdog a sandwich?" 

I looked at him pointedly. "If I ask for a sandwich and you bring me a hotdog, you're basically asking for a fist in your face." I said easily, as if I'd been waiting to say it for the longest time ever.

Forrest gestured at me. "You got a point. At least that hour-long debate is settled."

Yousef spoke again, "Do you have any plans this weekend?"

None of them are asking what happened yesterday. That's good. That's fine. "Nope. Probably just going to watch TV until I fall asleep."

Wyatt nodded in approval, glancing at his phone distractedly. 

Forrest perked up. "Favourite TV show?" 

I thought about it for a moment before settling for my go-to. "Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Or, S.W.A.T. I mean, I didn't know Netflix had it until I moved here."

Wyatt snorted. "You and Grayson are both dweebs. Watch the same boring show."

I crossed my arm defensively. "It's comedy! Worth it. Chef's kiss." They don't give me any convincing looks. "Come on, give it a shot at least."

"Sorry. I can't. My eyes and brain physically can't." Yousef admitted. "But hey, no shame in doing so."

"I have to agree with Yousef on that one." Forrest said.

Minutes passed and I felt a tap on my shoulder. The others got engrossed into a conversation of their own and I turned to look up at Grayson.

He held out a plate and I accepted it gratefully. "Thank you. Really."

"Stop thanking me." He shook his head thoughtfully.

I sceptically eyed the grilled cheese. "You didn't drug this, did you?" I narrowed my eyes at him, slowly nodding. "Yeah, you totally did."

He tongue poked the inside of his cheek and his pointed at the new made food. "If you don't want it I'll have it." He insisted. 

I knew he wasn't serious about it, but I took a bite of it anyway. I waved the grilled cheese in his general direction. "You, sir, are an angel." I muttered, sighing contently.

His eyes stray somewhere outside. "Mhm." He hummed distractedly.

I nudged his knee, curious about his sudden shift in mood. "What is it?"

"I'm not the angel you probably think I am." He said it without sparing a glance at me.

My sarcastic smile faded and I studied his facial features. Stress lines crease his forehead and the almost always present scowl on his face. "I was joking. Besides, you aren't the devil you think you are either."

His eye caught mine. "Bold of you to say."

I glanced at the carpet I was sitting on and consumed the grilled cheese in silence. Grayson joined the conversation with the others and I quietly listened.

From time to time, they would ask me my opinion. Thinking I was bothering them, I stood up abruptly, getting ready to clean up and get on my way.

"I should get going now." I explained as everyone turned their heads at my sudden movement.

"To where?" Wyatt asked.

"My room. I'm going to go hibernate now."

"Isn't that fun." Grayson said, voice heavy with mockery.

I made a hard smile at him and stepped over his legs. "Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine." I tapped his nose in a way a grandmother would to her grandchildren.

The others chuckled in amusement as Grayson rolled his eyes in a I'm-so-done-with-you manner.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

Brielle بواسطة <3

العاطفية

3M 59.9K 48
Brielle Yves is the new girl, except she's not actually new. She's been to Langston before, but only when she was a little girl hiding in the toilets...
Undeniably | ✓ بواسطة $

قصص المراهقين

15.2M 303K 77
| Highest ranking : #3 in Teen Fiction | | Highest ranking : #20 in Romance | | Highest ranking : #1 in Teen Romance | (Undeniably in love with the b...
861K 24.4K 30
"They always say that a bad boy is like a fire and he needs snow to tame him and calm him down. Some may call me the snow to his fire. But that's not...
485 28 7
Willow's life has little scope for adventure. She has always been the good girl, never resisting or rebelling. When her mother plans on getting her m...