Danganronpa: Goodbye Despair

By fastreddragon

(First Entry in the Danganronpa Trilogy) Wanting to attend the prestigious Hope's Peak Academy, sixteen stude... More

Chapter 1: EARLY EXCURSION
Chapter 2: INTRODUCTIONS
Chapter 3: KILLING SCHOOL TRIP
Chapter 4: DETERMINATION
Chapter 5: FREE TIME
Chapter 6: STOLEN MEMORIES
Chapter 7: CLEANING DUTY
Chapter 8: PARTY FOUL
Chapter 9: STAY VIGILANT
Chapter 10: NEVER FAULTER
Chapter 11: MAKE YOUR ARGUMENT
Chapter 13: OBJECTION
Chapter 14: NAIL IN THE COFFIN
Chapter 15: DEEP FRIED
Chapter 16: WORLD ENDER
Chapter 17: GOOD COMPANY
Chapter 18: MISSING LINK
Chapter 19: TEMPTATION
Chapter 20: CONSERVE YOUR ENERGY
Chapter 21: WALLOW IN SENTIMENT
Chapter 22: DOWN FIVE
Chapter 23: ALL RISE
Chapter 24: DANCER IN DISTRESS
Chapter 25: SPARKLING JUSTICE
Chapter 26: MERCILESS SWORD
Chapter 27: ONE WOMAN ARMY
Chapter 28: EXPANSION
Chapter 29: CHASING THE HORIZON
Chapter 30: VALUE OF ART
Chapter 31: REDEMPTION
Chapter 32: NOTHING MATTERS
Chapter 33: SOCIAL DISTANCING
Chapter 34: DEADLOCK
Chapter 35: MOMENT OF SILENCE
Chapter 36: DOUBLE TROUBLE
Chapter 37: IMITATION
Chapter 38: ORDER IN THE COURT
Chapter 39: COMMON SENSE
Chapter 40: BELIEF & DOUBT
Chapter 41: BYE BYE OUCHIES
Chapter 42: THRILL RIDE
Chapter 43: ESCAPE GAME
Chapter 44: NO FOOD ALLOWED
Chapter 45: RESPECT
Chapter 46: DESCENT INTO MADNESS
Chapter 47: LOST IN THOUGHT
Chapter 48: FINAL DEAD ROOM
Chapter 49: ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT
Chapter 50: SECRET OF THE FUNHOUSE
Chapter 51: ULTIMATE WEAPON
Chapter 52: BELL OF CATASTROPHE
Chapter 53: EMISSARY OF EVIL
Chapter 54: STAMPEDE
Chapter 55: HOPELESS ANXIETY
Chapter 56: CULTURE SHOCK
Chapter 57: DRASTIC MEASURES
Chapter 58: POWERLESS
Chapter 59: UNDER PRESSURE
Chapter 60: ABNORMAL
Chapter 61: REVELATION
Chapter 62: PLEAD THE FIFTH
Chapter 63: MALICE
Chapter 64: RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
Chapter 65: BLIND FAITH
Chapter 66: PLEASE INSERT COIN
Chapter 67: LOVED BY TALENT
Chapter 68: BACK TO BASICS
Chapter 69: REMNANTS OF DESPAIR
Chapter 70: NEO WORLD PROGRAM
Chapter 71: EMPTY HUSKS
Chapter 72: DEVOID OF HUMANITY
Chapter 73: SHUTDOWN SEQUENCE
Chapter 74: BROKEN SPIRIT
Chapter 75: CREATE THE FUTURE (END)

Chapter 12: CUT TO THE CHASE

16 1 0
By fastreddragon

First Class Trial (Part Two)

Hiyoko: "Even so, the killer is so sly... I'm starting to worry we may never actually find them."

Nagito: "It's all right, you don't have to worry. Because... they're just a petty killer, right? They can't defeat symbols of hope like you guys!"

Hajime: 'Huh?'

Nagito: "There's no way everybody will lose now, this little incident will just be a stepping stone for you all. In the end, hope always wins. That's what I believe."

Hajime: "N-Nagito? What happened to you?"

Nagito: "Huh? What do you mean?"

Hajime: "Well... you have been saying this whole time that there's no way a killer could be among us."

Nagito: "Oh, is that so? Well, let's just put that minor detail aside for now and talk about the incident. For now, we found out how the blackout occurred, but the question is WHO caused it, right? Anybody could've hid and set the timers for the air conditioners, and setting up the irons in the storage room could've been done before Byakuya set foot in the old building. What a shame, any one of us is capable of that."

Fuyuhiko: "What are you implying?"

Hiyoko: "He's just saying... after all this time, we still haven't made any progress!"

Sonia: "Huh? Even though we have been arguing for so long?"

Nagito: "Unfortunately, it's the truth... despite the fact that we've discussed this at length, there's not even one clue that leads to the killer. But that might be because... there's no way any one of us could be a killer."

Hajime: "Y-You're changing your story again?"

Nagito: "Anway... I have an idea about what we all should do at this point. Has anyone thought about our situation like this? Instead of surviving by doubting others, isn't it better to get killed for believing in others?"

Ibuki: "D-Doesn't that mean... are you saying we should all just give up and die!?"

Hajime: "Nagito! There's definitely something wrong with you!"

Nagito: "Haha... you guys only think there's something wrong with me because there's something wrong with you. Suspecting each other like this... there's no way that's healthy behaviour. Let's stop this already! We don't have to find out who the killer is! I can't stand this anymore! I don't want to do this to my friends!"

Teruteru: "I... I don't want to do this either..."

Mikan: "M-Me too! Please... take me home already!"

Hiyoko: "Waaaah! I wanna go home and eat candy!" Everyone looked like they were on the verge of freaking out, Hiyoko was crying, and nobody knew how to fix the situation at all.

Mahiru: "S-Stop it... if everyone acts like this... I-I'm gonna..." She couldn't finish that sentence, nothing else could be said from her. The pressure, the fear, the desperation... the despair. It was getting to her as well.

Hajime: "All of you calm down!"

Nagito: "We're all friends... aren't we? There's no way one friend would murder another."

Hajime: "Then why did Byakuya die!?"

Nagito: "Who cares? Let's just give up already. There are no clues that lead to the killer anyway... not a single one..."

Chiaki: "That's wrong!... I think."

Nagito: "...Did you say something?"

Chiaki: "Because... we've already found a clue that might point to who the killer is."

Gundham: "A clue?"

Akane: "You know who the killer is?"

Chiaki: "The killer? I don't know... but we do have a clue about a suspicious person... I think."

Nagito: "I see... then care to tell me? What's this clue you're talking about?"

Chiaki: "First of all, let's try thinking about how the killer was able to obtain the knife during the blackout."

Nagito: "Didn't we already cover that? They used glowing paint as a mark."

Chiaki: "No, not that... I mean, before that." Is she asking how the killer got close to the table? Even if they had to obtain the knife by relying on the glowing paint, in order to do that, they needed to get close to that table while it was still dark.

Hajime: "Let's try examining the situation... Mahiru's diagram might be useful here."

Mahiru: "The diagram of where everyone was standing before the blackout, right? Um... here it is." She said as she reached into her shirt pocket and pulled out the drawing in question.

Hajime: 'Just as I thought, this diagram is the clue! Who the killer is, and how they were able to move to the table in the dark. That's clearly shown in this diagram!' First, they needed to discuss how the killer was able to move to that table in the dark. The killer probably used something to help them. "The killer must've used the desk lamp to move to that table in the dark."

Nagito: "The desk lamp?... I hope you don't mean they turned on a light or something."

Gundham: "There was a blackout, there's no way the killer could've used the desk lamp." Of course, there's no way they used the desk lamp's light. The killer actually used something that was connected to the lamp.

Hajime: "They didn't turn the desk lamp on, they used its power cord."

Mikan: "P-Power cord?"

Hajime: "They could've felt their way to that table using the power cord, right? By doing that, the killer was able to move to the table, then used the glowing paint to find the knife."

Chiaki: "And based on the diagram... there's only one person who could've done it."

Teruteru: "W-Who?" The only person here who could've done it, this would be the first time Hajime would have to point the finger at someone. It's not a good feeling, but he didn't have a choice.

Hajime: "Nagito... it was you, wasn't it?"

Nagito: "M-Me?"

Hajime: "Judging from everyone's positions before the blackout, the only person near the power cord was you."

Nekomaru: "Which means... the only person who could've felt their way to the table using the power cord was... Nagito!"

Nagito: "T-That's just a coincidence!"

Chiaki: "But still... you had a chance, right? A chance to hide the knife under the table."

Hajime: "Nagito... weren't you cleaning the dining hall all morning? if so... you would've had a chance to hide the knife."

Nagito: "That's..."

Hajime: "If you factor in the power cord and the time you spent cleaning, you're the only one who could've done it!"

Nagito: "S-Seriously, that's all just a coincidence!"

Chiaki: "If it was just one coincidence, it'd be fine... but when it's one right after another... I wonder... is something like that really possible?"

Mahiru: "Could it be? Did you give yourself cleaning duty on purpose so you could hide the knife under the table?"

Nekomaru: "Now that you mention it... Nagito did prepare the drawing to pick who cleaned the dining hall."

Mahiru: "You rigged the drawing, didn't you!? That's how you got picked to clean the dining hall, isn't it!?"

Nagito: "..."

Chiaki: "I don't know if you're the killer or not, but... regardless, it proves that you're suspicious, right?"

Nagito: "Gh..."

Nekomaru: "If that's the case, that strange speech you made earlier... that was part of your plan too..."

Fuyuhiko: "You got us to lower our guard and tried to hide the fact that you did it, didn't you, you motherfucker!?"

Mahiru: "Well? Just admit it already!"

Nagito: "Ngh... ngh!"

Hajime: "Nagito, tell me you object to this... frankly, I don't want to believe it either. We investigated together... you were so kind... I can't believe you're the one you killed Byakuya."

Nagito: "Ngh!"

Hajime: "Nagito! Say something!"

Nagito: "Ngh... nghhhhh!" It looked like the guy was having a panic attack, but just before more accusations or questions could be thrown at him... he spoke. "Aha... ahahahahahahaha! The Ultimates are working together to combat the despair of their friend's death! Ah, how wonderful, how beautiful it is!"

Hajime: "H-Huh?" Those eyes of his. At that moment, Nagito's eyes... the darkness in his eyes shone brightly, as if layers upon layers of darkness were folding into each other... as if hope and despair had been crudely mixed together. (See the picture at the top for a better visual)

Nagito: "Let's cut to the chase... you're correct! It was my doing all along! I'm the one who hid the knife under the table before the party started. I'm the one who used the power cord to find my way to the table in the dark. And of course, I'm the one who caused the blackout. After all, there's no way I'd knowingly whip out a knife in front of everyone, right?"

Ibuki: "I-Is it just me or... does he seem a little nuts right now?"

Nagito: "But... I never expected Byakuya to have night-vision goggles. Because of that, we had ourselves a little scuffle under the table. And, well, you all saw how that played out. But with a twist ending like this, I think we can all agree this ended up being a very interesting mystery. Hahaha! Byakuya performed admirably!"

Kazuichi: "J-Just stop it already! Seriously... what the hell happened to you!?"

Mahiru: "Don't tell me... is this your true nature? Were you lying to us this entire time?"

Nagito: "Me, lie? That's outrageous! There's no way someone like me could ever lie to you guys! I understand better than anyone else that I'm ultimately worthless. I'm too arrogant to have dreams or cling to hope... I'm too disdainful to actually try at anything... I've made peace with the fact that I'm a lowly, stupid, insignificant human who can't do anything right."

Ibuki: "Holy crap! He's TOTALLY the type of guy who spent his childhood killing neighbourhood pets!"

Sonia: "He seems like the sort of person whose eyes light up while watching horror movies... just like me."

Kazuichi: "T-That's quite the hobby you have there... but, like, now's not really the time to bring it up."

Hajime: 'T-This guy... is he... the REAL Nagito?'

Nekomaru: "Hey, Nagito... if you were behind all of this, then did you also send that threatening letter?"

Nagito: "Yep, I sure did. There's nobody else on this island whose handwriting is THAT painful to look at, right?"

Hiyoko: "But why would you send a threatening letter in the first place?"

Nagito: "I think... somewhere deep in my heart... I was probably hoping to find someone who would stop my evil deeds. Well, I bet if that was the reason, at least some of you would feel sorry for me."

Akane: "Are you making fun of us!?"

Chiaki: "By threatening Byakuya, Nagito was likely able to manipulate his actions. In doing so, Nagito was able to manipulate everyone to the scene where the murder would occur... am I wrong?"

Peko: "That reminds me... Nagito was the one who suggested I guard the office."

Hiyoko: "Oh, I get it. If Peko was guarding the storage room, Nagito wouldn't've been able to use the irons."

Peko: "The threatening letter, along with all your suggestions... it was all a trap to manipulate us."

Nagito: "Yep, that's true too... but you're wrong about one thing."

Mikan: "H-Huh? W-What?"

Nagito: "I didn't need to rig the drawing for cleaning duty, you know."

Mahiru: "If that's true, then how did you conveniently get picked for cleaning duty!?"

Nagito: "I see... well, there's no way I'd expect you to remember it. A worthless talent for a worthless human..."

Hajime: "You're the Ultimate Lucky Student... then... did you..."

Nagito: "That's right, I just trusted my luck. I trusted I'd be picked for cleaning duty."

Teruteru: "Y-You just relied on your luck?"

Nagito: "It's not JUST luck... it's true my talent sucks, but I'm still the Ultimate Lucky Student, you know? At the time, Hajime said I wasn't lucky... but it was actually the opposite. I WAS lucky! That's why I got picked for cleaning duty, just like I wanted!"

Hajime: "E-Enough... that... I don't care about that anymore. More importantly, why did you kill Byakuya!? Answer me!"

Nagito: "Byakuya was a very capable leader, for someone like him to get killed... oh, the despair it brings. It's only fitting that you symbols of hope should use his death as a stepping stone to shine even brighter. That was my only motivation!"

Nekomaru: "Y-You're not making any sense!"

Fuyuhiko: "It's fine... let's start the damn vote already! I'm ready to fucking kill this psycho!"

Ibuki: "Please, Monokuma!"

Mikan: "P-Please wait!"

Fuyuhiko: "Huh? The fuck?"

Mikan: "U-Um... um... how should I put this? Um... is Nagito... really the killer?"

Teruteru: "Um... what are you saying? He's already confessed, hasn't he?"

Mikan: "I-I already know that, but... there's just something a little strange."

Hiyoko: "If it's only a little then keep your mouth shut... your ugly face is stressing me out. It makes me wanna puke."

Mikan: "Aaah! I-I'm sorry!"

Sonia: "Um... for now, might I suggest we listen to what she has to say?"

Teruteru: "B-But... we know who the killer is."

Gundham: "Simply listening is... acceptable. However, I won't allow it to end with mere play! Now then, let us lift the curtain for a bloody spectacle!"

Mikan: "I-I think it's strange that..."

Teruteru: "The killer is so obviously Nagito!"

Mikan: "U-Um..."

Peko: "He has already confessed."

Mikan: "Um... you know..."

Fuyuhiko: "That bastard Nagito is the one who did it! He killed Byakuya with the knife he hid!"

Hajime: "That knife might not be the murder weapon, that's what Mikan wanted to say."

Fuyuhiko: "The hell are you talking about? It's obvious the knife was the murder weapon."

Mikan: "But... based on the entry wounds on Byakuya's body, the actual weapon should be roughly five millimetres in diameter."

Ibuki: "Five millimetres in diameter? That's WAY skinner than an knife!"

Fuyuhiko: "Hey, that better be true! If you screwed up, I'll sell your fucking ass to a whorehouse!"

Mikan: "Eeeeek! N-Not a whorehouse!"

Mahiru: "Hey! Why are you threatening her!?"

Nagito: "Is this what you're trying to say, Mikan? As long as we can't prove that the knife is the murder weapon, we can't assume that I'm the killer."

Mahiru: "W-What are you saying!? No one else can be the killer! It has to be you!"

Nagito: "Hey, don't blame me. Mikan's the one who said it."

Mikan: "I-I'm sorry!"

Chiaki: "...Nagito... are you still hiding something?"

Hajime: "Hiding?"

Chiaki: "Like, during the blackout... did something happen between you and Byakuya that we don't know about?"

Nagito: "Who knows?"

Gundham: "After all this, what else do you intend to hide?"

Nagito: "..."

Hiyoko: "Geez, the moment your back's against the wall, you get all silent. You piss me off!"

Ibuki: "What happened during the blackout? Hmm...hmm..." This was her moment to shine, only she can tell the others what actually happened during the blackout. "Ah! If you cross your eyes like this, it gives you double vision!" Nevermind, her attention span is clearly smaller than Hiyoko's entire body.

Kazuichi: "Don't get distracted! Our lives are at stake, you know!"

Akane: "Huh? Whose lives are at stake?"

Kazuichi: "Seriously, how long is it gonna take for you to understand the damn rules!?"

Nagito: "Nobody can see in the dark... no matter how hard you think about it, the truth is beyond your sight. Don't you think that's a pretty clever metaphor, despite the fact that it came from me?"

Hajime: "No, that's not it."

Nagito: "Not it? What's not it?"

Hajime: "Even if we couldn't see what happened in the dark... I'm certain that someone could've heard it. Isn't that right, Ibuki?"

Ibuki: "For reals!?" She doesn't have to act too surprised, she's the one who told Hajime about hearing voices during the blackout while investigating.

Hajime: "You were the one who told me, remember? How everyone was shouting during the blackout."

E-Everyone, calm down! We gotta stay calm in a situation like this!

Waaah! Don't step on my feet!

What the hell!? What's going here!? T-This is...

Ow!

Turn the damn lights on! I can't eat like this, you know!

You guys? Where are you? W-Wasn't the blackout... just in the kitchen?

Perhaps the breaker overloaded?

H-Hold on a second! I'll go along the wall and... do something about it!

Nagito: "Such perceptive hearing! Impressive! I'd expect no less from the Ultimate Musician!"

Hiyoko: "It's a good thing your ears are awesome because your face, style, figure and personality totally suck."

Ibuki: "Hahaha! You cut me deep with your knife of truth!"

Peko: "However, after hearing what Byakuya and Nagito said in the dark... it almost sounds like... Byakuya fought back against Nagito or something."

Nagito: "Well, that's actually what happened. As a sign of respect for Ibuki's talent... I have a small confession to make. I was actually shoved out from under the table by Byakuya."

Teruteru: "He... shoved you out?"

Nagito: "Just as the blackout occurred, I hurried to duck under the table and grab the knife. But Byakuya, wearing his night-vision goggles, caught me and shoved me right out from under the table. That's right... I'm so incompetent that I couldn't even grab the knife."

Hajime: 'So... Byakuya stopped him when he was trying to get the knife and got shoved out from under the table before he could even grab it? Well, it sounds plausible... I mean, just from listening to what they both said at the time...'

What the hell!? What's going here!? T-This is...

Ow!

Hajime: 'I could interpret it like that... no, actually... now that I think about it, that sounds like exactly what happened.'

Nagito: "After getting shoved out from under the table, I was just as confused as you guys. I lost sight of the glowing paint, and I didn't even know where the power cord was. Before I realized it, the lights came back on and Byakuya's body was laying under the table..."

Mahiru: "H-Hold on! Are you saying you're NOT the killer?"

Nagito: "From the very beginning, the idea to throw a party, hiding the knife, setting up the blackout... it was all going according to plan. But unfortunately, my plan failed. And all thanks to Byakuya's night-vision goggles. What happened after that? Even I don't know."

Fuyuhiko: "Y-You failed? T-Then you're not the one who killed Byakuya?"

Hiyoko: "T-Then we're right back to square one!"

Nekomaru: "How can that be!? We've spent all this time talking back and forth!"

Nagito: "Meaninglessness... what other word is brimming with so much despair? But you can't give up! You need to have hope, do your best, and move forward! Rising to the challenge again and again is why you guys are the symbols of hope!"

Hajime: 'Is Nagito... really not the killer? Is this guy... really the Nagito I knew before? No... there's no way I can say that, I just thought I knew him. But this whole time, I didn't know anything about this guy. I didn't know... his true character, it's as simple as that. But... now's not the time for me to dwell on that. We need to find Byakuya's killer... by any means possible. Because if we don't... we will die here.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 163 34
Hope's Peak Academy is the school for Ultimates, students who are the best at what they do. That was before Hope's Peak was attacked by despair, and...
691 40 38
Around 100 years after the Tragedy, 15 Ultimate Students find themselves in a Killing Game in what seems to be a modified Hope's Academy. Follow Miko...
8.5K 184 14
It's been a few years since the Killing School Life that took place in the sealed Hope's Peak Academy. The survivors of Class 78 has joined forces wi...
71.7K 1.9K 45
BOOK 1 OF MY DR OC SERIES CURRENTLY BEING REWRITTEN AND UNDER MAINTENANCE. I'll try my best to keep it readable even while I revamp it, but I'm sorry...