Right Field //Benny Rodriguez...

By stranger2_7things

Right Field //Benny Rodriguez x Reader// (REWRITTEN) This story contains all of the elements of my first Ben... More

Part 1: new beginnings
Part 2: the girl
Part 3: the catch
Part 4: the beast
Part 5: pool day
Part 6: rivals
Part 7: celebration
Part 8: the pickle
Part 9: the plan
Part 9.5: the plan pt.2
Part 10: heros and legends
Part 12: the great chase
Part 13: mr. myrtle
A/N

Epilogue

1.3K 14 27
By stranger2_7things

Your POV:

My dad came from his trip to Chicago about a week after the whole Beast fiasco took place. He scolded Scotty and I, but mostly Scotty since he was the one who swiped the ball and ruined it in the first place. In the end, I'm happy he only grounded us for two weeks instead of our entire life.

Although, those two weeks we spent back home, we got to all spend time as a family. My dad told Scotty and his mother the story of how my mom gave the ball to my dad. Scotty and my dad got along great now that Scotty understood what baseball actually meant. And my stepmom and I did typical mom and daughter things.

I like to think my mom wouldn't be mad because she would want my dad and me to be happy. I also think that if she were here to experience The Beast fiasco, she would ground us, but laugh at the story we had to tell. I'll always miss my mom, but I'm so glad I now have my stepmom, and of course Scotty as a bonus!

Scotty and I finally started school, although we were new and everything, everyone seemed to be nice... almost everyone. We were known around school as "The Jet Couple" which I thought was a pretty stupid name, but it kinda grew on me the more Benny kept calling us that. And what's more, all the girls in that school were absolutely amazed at how I, The New Girl, had gotten Benny Rodriguez, but that's another story for another time...

But all throughout school, every single day, I would always be thinking about one thing: Summer vacation. When we would spend hours every day playing baseball over and over, never stopping, the endless cycle that I never wanted to end. Mr. Myrtle became one of our best friends and even became friends with my dad and stepmom.

There was also the time that I introduced Benny to my dad, and to no one's surprise, they hit it off. Who would've guessed they would've had so much in common? (note the sarcasm, neither one of them could shut up about baseball) But Benny was beginning to become part of the family.

Each summer leading up to the last was even better than the one before. Although, starting sophomore year of high school it became bitter sweet because our friends started to move away. Although we never replaced him on the team with anyone else, after all of that we'd keep in touch for years, and just kept the game going like he was still there.

Yeah-Yeah was the first member to go, he left the summer after our sophomore year. As we kept in touch, we found out that his parents had shipped him off to military school, after that, he joined the army. We later learned that he became one of the pioneer developers of bungee jumping, of course we all knew why.

Bertram on the other hand... well, he got 'really into the sixties' as people would call it, but the rest of the team and I knew what really happened. No one ever saw him again. He left before the start of my Junior year.

Timmy and Tommy moved in the middle of my Junior year. We found out that they became an architect and a contractor. They started out small, designing playground equipment and pre-fabricated treehouses. Although, they became multi-millionaires when they invented 'Mini Malls.'

Squints never left, I mean how could he? Squints, to the shock of everyone, grew up to marry Wendy Peffercorn. They had nine kids. Funny enough, they literally had enough to make a whole baseball team. They bought Vincent's Drugstore and own it to this day.

Hamilton Porter moved to Philadelphia the summer after Junior year. He never lost his sense of humor and used it in every letter he wrote. He ended up becoming a professional wrestler. He was called The Great Hambino.

DeNunez moved around the same time as Ham did and played AAA Ball, but never got to the big leagues. He moved back to town after college and now owns his own business and coaches a little league team that his sons play on called The Heaters.

Hercules became our official team mascot, he never missed a game at the Sandlot, and would always return the balls to the pitcher. He lived to be 199 years old... in dog years that is.

Scotty and I moved away for college in Albuquerque after graduation. Saying goodbye to Benny was one of the hardest things I had to do. I mean, after spending almost five years seeing each other everyday and living so close, how could I not be upset?

Although, it ended out not as bad as it seemed.

Benny and I kept in touch, the long distance thing worked out for us surprisingly. He played college baseball at UCLA in California after he was offered a scholarship. Him and I visited every chance we got.

On the first day of summer after we both graduated, Benny moved back to our hometown and moved into Mr. Myrtles old place, fixing it up with all the money he earned playing baseball. He also bought the land the Sandlot rested on, although he never changed a thing about the way the field looked, which I appreciated.

He proposed to me the day they finished the house. We were both standing on either side of the home plate at the Sandlot, I turned as he was on one knee with tears in his eyes. Of course I said yes. It was not long after that we had our wedding before Benny had to get on the road again. Our wedding was private, there were only my parents, his parents, and seven others. You can guess which seven.

Benny made it to the big leagues and played for the LA Dodgers. He was known his whole life as Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez. I never missed a single game, and was always cheri g the loudest. Scotty even had the honor to commentate a few of Benny's games. We traveled all across the U.S. but we ultimately always ended up back at the Sandlot.

Benny and I had three children. Two twin boys and a girl named James, Jacob, and Jessica Rodriguez. Each with only the best characteristics from their parents.

Benny retired at the age of 40, and was still a legend. Some would say that 40 is a little young to retire baseball, but he couldn't help being away from his family any longer. We settled down in Mr. Myrtle's old home, with the Sandlot open to anyone who wished to play on it.

Benny and I grew old together, and loved hearing the sounds of new teams of boys coming and going to the Sandlot and getting a major reaction out of all of them.

"Oh my god... you're The Jet!" One boy said, coming up to Benny and I sitting on the rocking chair as we watched their game from afar. "The Jet Couple!" a girl said gawking up at us, "You're Benny and (Y/n) Rodriguez!" Another said.

"Why yes we are" Benny said with a small laugh. "And who might you be?" I asked the kid, "Thomas DeNunez" he said, "My grandfather said he used to know you... did you know him? His name was-" Benny cut him off, "Kenny DeNunes! No one in the big leagues could ever throw a better heater than he could!" Benny exclaimed, remembering the memory.

The boys and girl talked amongst one another, awing at how Thomas was telling the truth. "Yep" I said looking out onto the field, "The field you guys are playing on right now, is where me and my husband met" I said rubbing the top of Benny's hand, "It's where our friends and us played baseball every single day, every summer" I said.

The kid's faces lit up which made Benny and I smile, "You kids protect this field" Benny began, "for it's where I found myself, and my beautiful wife" he said looking back over to me, "and if you boys ever wanna talk baseball with me, feel free to come over any time you like" he said.

A string of "Yes sir's" and "Thank you's" rang out from the group before they walked off to continue their game. I smiled as they all walked away before turning to my husband, "Quoting Mr. Myrtle I see" I said smirking, "I have no idea what you're talking about" he said with a cheeky smile before leaning over to give me a peck on the lips.

My head met with his shoulder as I closed my eyes, listening to the sound of distant calls and metal to ball and ball to mitt and the crash of shoes on gravel.

Even after Benny and I had passed, we were always known as the famous "Jet Couple" to the world, but to Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez, I was always known as...

The Girl in Right Field

The End

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3K 51 15
A new girl moved into town and every boy fights for her attention. Benny Rodriguez, the only boy who catches the girl's eye, might win her over. Cove...
The Home Run By .

Fanfiction

116K 1.6K 23
COMPLETED 2-2-19! Trigger Waring! •Some mention of abuse I took the ball from Benny. We all talked happily, as Benny tried to catch his breat...
122K 1.3K 20
a benny "the jet" rodriguez story P.S guys i wrote this book when i was 12 and it's like rly bad so PLEASE keep that in mind lmao AlSO.... 100 THOUSA...
6.5K 120 41
{Sequel to 'South'} They're back. © 2023 -Please note this is a very very mature book. There are trigger warnings and a little bit of smut. READERS...