Moral Devotions

By holl1e27

A single mom with a past, and a tattooed bad boy who needs to change his future. Macy Roberston knows better... More

Aesthetics
Playlist
1| Macy
2| Macy
3| Declan
4| Macy
5| Declan
6| Macy
7| Macy
8| Declan
9| Macy
10| Declan
11| Macy
12| Declan
14| Macy
15| Macy
16| Declan
17| Macy
18| Declan
19| Declan
20| Declan
21| Macy
22| Macy
23| Declan
24| Macy
25| Macy
26| Declan
27| Macy
28| Declan
29| Macy
30| Macy
31| Declan
32| Macy
Epilogue| Macy

13| Macy

3.3K 113 14
By holl1e27

Sitting here, on my classroom floor, putting away books with Declan shouldn't be as relaxing as it is.

But the way he keeps smiling over at me, has something warm filling my lower belly. And even I can't deny the fact that I like him being here.

His presence is... Refreshing. He's just so positive. Almost zero negative words have left his mouth since we met. Even when I turned him down, and pushed him away, he didn't lash out or say any hurtful things. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe he isn't the bad boy in this story.

"So, what's your favorite book then?" He asks, glancing over at me again.

I smile softly and tuck a strand of loosely curled hair behind my ear. "Right now, or of all time?"

"Of all time first, then your current one."

"Hmm, The Book Thief is really good. But I always liked Little Women when I was younger. What about you?"

"Probably The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings. I have this sick special edition version of Lord of the Rings."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. I'm too scared to read them, though, so they sit up on display and instead I ruin my original copies some more." He admits and I bite down my bottom lip to stop myself from smiling. He's adorable, truly.

"I'm really into sports romances right now."

"Oh?" Declan cocks a dark eyebrow.

"Don't go getting all cocky. I was into them before I met you."

"What kind of sports?"

I shrug. "Only basketball and football." His pained expression has me giggling.

Declan pulls out his phone and holds up his forefinger. He rolls onto his stomach and props himself up on his elbows. "Hope you're okay with smut."

Both my brows raise on their own. "You know what that is?"

He flashes me a smug grin. "Sweetheart, I know just about everything when it comes to sex." And with a wink, he goes back to looking at his phone. Little does he know, I'm squirming inside.

"There. Your new books will be delivered by Monday."

"Books? Plural?"

"You, Miss Robertson," he wiggles his finger at me, " have just booked a one-way flight to hockey land, and you ain't ever coming back, sweetheart."

"What did you even get?"

"I don't know, some hockey romance series. It's called the Off-Campus series, by Elle Kennedy. Had good reviews, so I just bought 'em all. Then I bought a copy of the series for myself. So we can have a little book club." My eyes widen at his words.

"Declan, I am not starting a book club with you." Especially one that involves, hot, erotic books. But I keep that part to myself.

"Fine, you don't have to respond to my texts about the books, but you will be getting them. So unless you want spoilers, I suggest you read them too."

And true to his word, that upcoming Monday, I got a package delivered to my door, and an hour later I got a text message.

Declan James: want to come over and start our book club? or do it virtually?

And I responded with, Axel still has a bug. This caused Declan to respond with, I'll text in thirty minutes to discuss the first three chapters.

Knowing he was serious, I found the first book of the series and got to work reading.

Declan James: Awe, she's a singer. How cute. Personally, I'm a big fan of Garrett.
Me: It's been six minutes.
Declan James: I decided to text you some of my reactions since you're not able to witness them yourself at this time.
Me: Well I can't read the first three chapters if you keep distracting me.
Declan James: LOL, sorry!

Axel sits up on the couch and rubs his eyes. "Mama, will you rub my back?"

"Yeah, baby." He pulls his shirt off before laying across my lap and closing his eyes again. My palm finds its way to his warm skin, and I start slow strokes up and down his soft baby-like skin.

Atta girl is what my thoughts say at Hannah Wells acing the midterm, unlike everybody else.

By the time Declan messages me again, I've read five chapters, and am ready for more.

Declan: I'm team Garrett all the way
Me: It's been five chapters, how?
Declan: You were only supposed to read three!
Me: I got lost in it. Oops. Anyways, I'm not team Justin, but I'm not sure I'm team Garrett yet either.
Declan: He's hilarious.
Me: And he also can't take no for an answer
Declan: Fair. But, can you blame him? He's doing it for his team, and his career. Hannah was also being insanely rude about it.
Me: Maybe because he wouldn't leave her alone. I'd've been the same way

My phone starts ringing and I shake my head but answer.

"But you weren't the same way." Declan's deep voice comes through the phone.

"You weren't to the point of stalking me yet. I was giving it another week before you started." I tell him as I bookmark the page I'm on.

"Mommy," Axel whines and I resume rubbing his back.

"I don't know that I would've considered it stalking, but I definitely would've kept bugging you." I can hear the cheeky grin from here. "You got dinner for the night? I can bring something over."

I let out a yawn before answering. "Was just going to heat up a frozen pizza, but thanks."

"Nah. I'll bring something over. What do you want, you picky eater? Chinese? Thai? McDonald's?"

"All three of those options sound terrible."

"Have you ever even had Thai?"

"No." I blush, even though he's not even here. "But I do like Chinese, and it just doesn't sound appealing at the moment."

"What about Chick-fil-A? Everybody likes waffle fries."

"You don't have to bring me food, seriously."

"Which means you didn't veto the restaurant, therefore Chick-fil-A is what we're having for dinner. What do you want? Let me guess, Chicken sandwich--with no pickles-- or chicken nuggets?"

I giggle softly, looking down at Axel asleep across my lap. "Spicy chicken sandwich, actually. And yeah, no pickles."

"Spicy, huh? Interesting. Fries?"

"Hmm, let's go with mac-n-cheese tonight."

Declan's chuckle comes through the phone. "Solid choice. Drink?"

"Dr.Pepper."

"I think you're my fucking soulmate, now." His laugh lets me know he's joking, but that doesn't stop my toes from curling.

"Why's that?"

"Dr.Pepper is my favorite."

*

"Order for Macy?" Declan grins as he stands on the other side of the door holding up a white bag with red letters in one hand, and a drink carrier in the other.

"That would be me." I grin and take the food and drinks from his hand and kick the door shut.

Declan pushes his hand through and stops it from closing and I turn and hurry to the kitchen.

"Oh, you little--"

"Shh." I lean backward and peek into the living area. "He's asleep. Don't wake him."

Declan's head turns toward the couch before he turns back to me and narrows his eyes. He points at me, and mouths You'll pay for that.

"Goodness gracious, how much food did you get?"

"Goodness gracious." Declan makes his voice go higher in octave as he mocks me. "Who the hell talks like that?"

I jut my chin up. "Me."

"Obviously." He unzips his coat and shrugs it off. "Good lord, it's a hundred degrees in here."

"I usually keep the heat off to save money, but it's freezing outside and Axel had been shivering--even with the electric blanket on," I explain to Declan as I reach into the bag and pull the first item out.

"I got him chicken nuggets in case he was feeling better and got hungry."

A soft smile spreads across my lips. "You didn't have to do that."

"No, but I wanted to. Oh, and I got him some Sprite for if he gets sick again."

"That's sweet."

"I try my best." Declan leans against the counter and crosses his arms over his chest.

Halfway through eating, Axel wakes up crying, and Declan somehow convinces him to eat something.

"I don't want anymore, Mama." He pushes the small box away from him.

"Okay baby, you want to go lay back down?" I ask and he shakes his head before climbing onto my lap.

"I want you to hold me." He cradles himself against my side and plays with the ends of my hair.

Declan finishes eating and pulls out his copy of The Deal, and flips it open to where he folded the page. "Apparently I have some catching up to do." He snaps before he begins reading.

I chuckle and finish eating before walking over to the couch and laying Axel down. He clings to my shirt and starts crying. "I'll be right back baby." I kiss his forehead and he cries more.

Declan appears at my side and squats down. "Hey buddy, don't cry. She'll come right back."

I pull his hands from my shirt and go clean up our mess from dinner. After placing Axel's food in the fridge, I walk back out to the living room to find Declan now fully sitting on the floor in front of the couch, his head resting on the cushion next to Axel's.

"What hurts, buddy?"

"My stomach," Axel tells him weakly.

Declan looks up when he hears me approaching. His hand is on Axel's back like he was rubbing it.

I squat down beside Declan and push Axel's hair off his forehead. "Hey, Bubby, why don't we get you some more medicine?"

"No," Axel says, burying his face in the cushion. "I don't want it."

"It'll make you feel better."

"It's gross!" His yelling is muffled by the cushion.

"Has he taken anything all day?" Declan asks.

"I got him to this morning, but he's refused ever since. I even bribed him with a milkshake earlier."

Declan frowns. "Axel, will you take some medicine if I watch a movie with you?"

Axel shakes his head. "No."

"Not even your favorite movie?"

"No!"

"What about Mama's favorite movie?" He asks, running his hand down Axel's back. "You don't want to get sick anymore."

Axel sits up with tears streaming down his face. "I don't want it!"

I let out a heavy sigh. "Maybe we should take him to the doctor?"

Declan just nods. "Yeah. That's probably best."

A pit appears in my stomach at the thought of paying any medical bills right now, but Axel's health is important. I suppose there will be no ice cream trips or coffee runs this week, and I'll be staying at school for lunch. I'll also talk to Beth about watching him after school so I don't have to pay for daycare this week.

I stand up and grab his coat off the back of the armchair.

Declan takes it from my hands and puts it on Axel, despite him telling Declan not to. "We just want you to get better, buddy." He tells him softly. This is the point where I normally get frustrated and snap at him, but Declan keeps his voice normal, and his tone soft. And maybe that's why Axel starts crying less when Declan scoops him up in his arms. Or maybe it's the reason I'm most terrified of: Axel is becoming attached to Declan.

*

"Yep, it's Strep." The doctor says and I let out a breath. "It's common in kids. I'll call in a prescription that you can pick up ASAP. I'd try getting him to eat soup or something cold like Sherbert. It'll soothe the pain in his throat."

"How much longer will it last?"

"With the medicine, it should be gone within the next two days."

"Okay, thank you."

We get clear to leave, so Declan takes Axel in his arms.

"Mama?" Axel asks as we walk down the hallway.

"Yeah, baby?" I look up to see his eyelids heavy as he rests his head on Declan's shoulder.

"I'll take that ice cream now."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

266K 3.7K 18
Cara Davis My dad used to say two things when I was little: "Men are all the same" and "Don't fall in love with an athlete". I believed both, until h...
330K 4.2K 96
This will be the first book of a series of three:) (Please read all the warnings to make sure there is nothing triggering in the book:) ...
42.7K 735 29
[18+] Dallas Tucker was a force to be reckoned with on the ice, he was the best of the best. Every coach wanted him on their team, every guy wanted t...
15.8K 426 21
-- "You think you're so tough hm?" He says, getting closer to me. Both of our eyes lustful, deep and glued to each other's. "I am" I certify the one...