Burning Flames (Chicago Fire...

By Roya_Herondale

This is a story about the lives of Chicago Fire House 51's firefighters. What will happen when these brave me... More

Chapter 2: Ultimate Sacrifice (Edited)
Chapter 3: Survival of the Couragous (Edited)
Chapter 4: Working Calls and Restrictions (Edited)
Chapter 5: Racing Heart
Chapter 6: Date Night
Chapter 7: Don't Remember
Chapter 8: Mouch and Ambo
Chapter 9: Hally
Chapter 10: Scars Only Ever Fade...
Chapter 11: Beyond the Call of Duty
Chapter 12: Courage, Honor, and... Love
Chapter 13: Reality Check
Chapter 14: Back From the Dead
Chapter 15: Mariana Dawson
Chapter 16: Heart to Heart With Hally and Mariana
Chapter 17: Dead beat dad
Chapter 18: Dawson Family
Chapter 19: Truck 81's Bar
Chapter 20: Last Truck Ride, Mom, and Antonio
Chapter 21: Stay
Chapter 22: Last Truck Ride
Chapter 23: New Beginnings, Old Memories
Chapter 24: Fire House 89
Chapter 25: Wedding Venue and Townhouses
Chapter 26: Man Down!
Chapter 27: Aftermath (Finale)
Part 2
Chater 28: Missing Candidate
Chapter 29: Home
Chapter 30: Drill
Chapter 31: Back
Chapter 32: Back Against the Wall
Chapter 33: Traitor
Chapter 34: Darkness
Chapter 35: Lock Down
Chapter 36: Shattered
Chapter 37: Mystery Man
Chapter 38: Done!
Chapter 39: Redemption, Conviction, or Chance...
Chapter 40: Vows
Chapter 41: Apocalypse
Chapter 42: Life or Death
Chapter 43: I Made the Call That Killed Her...
Chapter 44: Insignia
Chapter 45: What's the Difference?!
Chapter 46: Church
Chapter 47: Squad 3
Chapter 48: Lakeview Hospital
Chapter 49: Bowling Lanes
Chapter 50: Squad Surgery
Chapter 51: Mills In A Wedding Dress and Kelly Severide
Chafter 52: Jordan and Three Bells
Chapter 53: False Alarm
Chapter 54: Flames On Bunker Gear
Chapter 55: Prayer For Dawson
Chapter 56: Battlefield (finale of part 2)
Part 3
Chapter 57: Moving On
Chapter 58: Again
Chapter 59: Gossip
Chapter 60: Pregnant?
Chapter 61: Reynolds
Chapter 62: Lieutenant Dawson
Chapter 63: Tiffany
Chapter 64: Fast But Slow
Chapter 65: Honeymoon
Chapter 66: The Ducker
Chapter 67: Tiffany, Ducker, and Dawson
Chapter 68: Shay (part 1)
Chapter 69: Shay (part 2)
Translations Chapter
Chapter 70: Cologne
Chapter 71: Names
Chapter 72: Courtney
Chapter 73: No. (Book Finalé)
Author's Note
Author's Note
Author's Note

Chapter 1: Fighting Flames (Edited)

10K 97 4
By Roya_Herondale

"Dawson, take this floor, I'm going down to help Mouch clear the basement," Casey calls from across the flame filled room.
"Alright, be careful, Casey," I call back. He takes off down the stairs as I turn down a hallway to my right. I carefully work my way down the hall until I reach the a room. Slamming my fist against the door three times I call out, "Chicago Fire department! Stand back!"
I turn and ram my foot in to the door, knocking the door handle out of the door frame with one solid kick. I turn back around and use my halligan to shove the door open all the way, and step inside, careful of any debris on the floor.
I look through the flames as I step over rubble lying on the floor and call out, "Chicago Fire Department, is anyone in here?"
With no reply and no sign of movement, I move on to the next room. I repeat the same process as before and call through the door, "This is the Chicago Fire Department, stand back from the door."
I turn and kick through the door, and call out again, "Chicago Fire Department is anyone in here?"
Just as I go to turn around I hear a faint moan. I turn back to face the room and look to see if I can find the source, but with so much smoke in the room I can hardly see my hand in front of my face. This room had barely been touched by the flames just yet, but the smoke had gotten too thick.
I pull out my thermal imaging camera and sweep it slowly across the room. When I'm about three quarters of the way across I see a body laying on the ground, motionless. I carefully work my way over any debris on the ground as I head towards the person on the ground, and when I finally reach them I find a woman lying still on the floor.
I kneel down next to her and slowly roll her on to her back to find that she is unconscious, but at least breathing. As I assess her injuries I see several severe looking burns across her chest, right arm, and hand, along with smoke inhalation, but nothing too extensive.
I look back over my shoulder at the doorway just as a beam collapses and flames block my way out. I curse under my breath as I look back down at the woman in front of me. As I think through different ways to get us out, my radio crackles to life with Chief Boden's deep voice, "Everyone, get out of there. The building is about to flashover."
I look back over my shoulder and see the flames rolling along the ceiling of the room and hallway. I hurry over to the door and slam it shut before replying into my radio, "Chief, I've got a woman mid-thirties, severe burns on her right side, and smoke inhalation; and I've got no way out."
"Hold on, Dawson, we'll get you out of there," Boden's voice reassures me as I go back over to the woman. I pick her up under her shoulders and drag her over against the wall to the right of the door. I kick a table over and bring it in front of us to shield us from the blast that I can tell is coming.
I pull my mask off and place it on the woman before laying flat on top of her as I feel the temperature rising even higher. I grab my mike and say hoarsely, "I'll be okay. Don't worry, I'll be okay."
I release the button on my radio as the building gives a low groan and then explodes. I cover the woman's head to protect her from the flames as much as possible as my radio goes off one more time as Casey yells, "Dawson!"
I pass out as I feel the flames burning through the table and my heavy turnout gear...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.7K 785 51
The third story in the ONE Chicago series is here! If you haven't read Three Teams, ONE Chicago and Our City, Our Rules, ONE Chicago.... Please read...
22.1K 393 42
It's a Dawsey story. It plays one year after Gabby left Chicago. Sylvie and Matt are dating. What happens if Gabby comes back? What will change? What...
39.2K 585 18
Since forever, nobody knows when and where its life gonna fly in pieces, when everything gonna change or when he gonna die. But, a thing that everyon...
15.9K 461 22
This is a story about two people in love Stella Kidd and Kelly Severide, two firefighters, and how time and events shape them from who they were to...