Chapter 13: Reality Check

Matthew Casey's POV
---
We stand at salute as they drive her casket under the flag. Tears start to form at the edges of my eyes. I hold back until we start to get into the limo that's escorting the truck crew to the funeral.
I break down as I think about how maybe I could of saved her. Maybe I could've stopped her or helped the nurses when they were coding her.
I put my head in my hands as we slowly move down the road. I feel a hand on my back and look up to see Herman looking at me.
"Buddy, she would be proud of what you've been doing. You have gotten her badge through to be put in the cases at the academy. Even though she was only a candidate you got her in. You should be happy for her. Listen she talked to me the other day about everything that was going on, and she told me that if she died on the job or otherwise that she'd be happier than she was now. She was in more physical pain than she let on. Try and be as happy as you can for her." Herman says.
I look out the window and try to be happy for her, but it doesn't work...

Author's Note:
Sorry this is so short guys. Keep reading and don't kill me. I know, you have every reason to want to kill me, but don't overreact. Sorry! ~xoxo Roya