Chapter 3: Survival of the Couragous (Edited)

Gabriela Dawson's POV

            I wake up to a short, brunette woman in blue scrubs writing down numbers on my chart and a loud beeping coming steadily out of the monitor beside my head. She has two needles of medicine in her hand holding the chart which I assume she is going to give me through an IV in my arm.
            "W-where's my crew at? Where's Shay or Casey?" I question the nurse groggily, my voice coming out hoarse and scratchy at first, even to my own ears.
            She jumps in surprise as she looks at me, nearly dropping the pen in her hand, but after recovering responds quietly, "I'll go see if I can find them for you."
            I nod and slowly look around the sterile hospital room they had placed me in. Everything is white and clean. The walls, ceiling, and bed are all white, the curtains and furniture are all bland shades of beige and brown. In fact, the only actual color in the entire room seems to be a CFD bag sitting in a beige chair beside my bed, which is presumably mine.
         I lay back against the stiff pillow under me and turn my head to look out the window. Sunlight is washing through the spotless windows making everything seem brighter in this room. It smells sterile, like chemicals, and it makes me uneasy. I've always hated the smell of hospitals, the feeling you get when you're in one. Nothing feels familiar and they give you too much time to think when you're alone. As these thoughts wonder in to my mind I think to myself, 'Is the woman I found even alive or was the attempt I made to save her useless?'
            I'm rescued from following that thought down a rabbit hole when there's a knock at the door and the nurse opens it wide revealing my crew and several others from the house. Chief Boden comes in first and shakes my hand. Then, Casey does the same as he sits on the edge of my bed and answers the question I had just been wondering about, "Because of you, that woman is alive and getting treated."
I smile slightly as I lean forward and sit up ever so slowly. I look around at the rest of the people standing around my bedside, all of them wearing relieved looks and smiles on their faces.
After a few minutes of talking and everyone telling me to get better, everyone but Shay, Severide, and Casey leaves the room. Severide sits on the other side of my bed not occupied by Matt and puts his hand on my knee as he says, "We're all glad that you're alright, Dawson, but don't ever pull a stunt like that again. You're gonna give Casey grey hairs."
Matt rolls his eyes and says, "She's not gonna give me grey hairs, I wasn't that worried."
Shay chuckles and says, "You were about as white as a ghost, Matt. You were worried."
"Fine, I was worried. Gabs is like my best friend. You guys know that. She's my person," Matt admits, pink coloring his cheeks slightly as he admits just how worried he was about me.
Just then the nurse comes in with several papers in her hands. She steps around the two men and woman by my side and tells me, "The doctor says that he will be releasing you today on the condition that you have someone to look after you that has medical training and that you return to the hospital every three days to have your burns checked. As long as everything goes smoothly, you may return to work in four weeks. You were lucky you got out when you did, other wise you wouldn't be so good."
            She sets the papers down in front of me and points to where I need to sign and initial, stating that I was agreeing to come in every few days and that I would have someone with medical training rebandage my burns at least twice a day. I quickly sign all the places needed and then Shay and Matt sign a few spots where the hospital needs to know who will be taking care of my wounds and my person for the next four weeks. The nurse smiles after making sure all the paperwork is in order and says, "I'll go ahead and unhook you now and then you can get changed and you may leave with Leslie and Matthew here."
She quickly unhooks the wires and cords as she says, "You are free to go. The only thing that will result from this is that the burns will most likely scar, but make sure to take care of it. We'll see you back here in a few days. Be careful and take it easy."
            I nod my head in response and the nurse leaves. Shay ushers Severide out so I can change and Casey stays where he is knowing I'll need help getting in to my clothes.
            "I'll grab your stuff for you. I think the nurse put all of your stuff in your bag." Matt tells me, grabbing my bag out of the chair.
            He walks around to the other side of my bed and grabs the CFD bag off the chair.
            "Yep, here you go." He tells me, checking the bag to make sure everything is there as he sets the bag down beside me. I slowly sit-up as Matt holds my elbow and helps me move. Swinging my legs slowly over the edge of the bed I stand up, the muscles in my bag pulling my skin as I do, making it hurt to move very much at all. I pick up the bag from the bed and walk over to the bathroom to change. Once I realize I'll need help putting any of my clothes on I stick my head out the door and ask, "Matt, can you come over here and help me?"
            He nods and walks over to the bathroom, leaving the door open so we had room to move in the small bathroom. I turn around and he gently pulls the ties of my gown open. He helps me first pull on a pair of CFD sweat pants that definitely weren't mine, but probably his considering they hung off my hips. After getting those on he gently helps me pull on a giant sweatshirt that was also most likely his. After he helps me put my clothes on he helps me slip on a pair of slides that were mine. I kisses the top of my head and says, "There, I figured my clothes would be more comfortable for you considering how much smaller you are than me."
I smile as look in the mirror over my shoulder at him as I respond, "You figured right, Matt. They are. Thank you."
He nods and I turn around and walk out of the bathroom and over to my bed where my keys, wallet, and phone are laying. I grab them and Matt puts them in my bag that's now empty.
            After making sure we got everything we walk out to the hallway and down to the truck where the rest of the crew is waiting on us...