Chapter 68: Shay (part 1)

Salute of funeral
---
Gabriela Dawson's POV
---

I fix my cap and walk outside to where everyone is waiting. I stand next to Severide and Capp beside then James and Kyle. Severide and I both wearing white lieutenant caps.
"Present Arms!" Boden orders as the funeral party starts coming by.
We present arms as Tiffany's mother roles down the limo window as they pass. She nods as she passes us and then they turn a corner and are gone...

---
Leslie Severide's POV
---
2 months later- 4 in the morning
---

"Kelly, babe, wake up." I say shaking Kelly's shoulder.
"Huh? What is, Leslie?" He asks sitting up.
"I'm craving chocolate and pickles." I say pursing my lips.
"We're out of both... I'll go to the store and get some. Anything else?" He asks as he gets up and pulls on a pair of blue jeans and t-shirt.
"Ummm... ice cream and steak." I say knowing that the both of those were two of my random cravings.
He smiles and says, "You have the weirdest cravings. I'll be back."
He kisses me and I laugh and nod my head. Then, as he walks out of the bedroom I call out, "I love you! Thank you!"
"Yeah, you better considering its four in the morning." He calls back jokingly.
I turn the TV on and it is still on the new mommy baby channel I had been forcing everyone to watch, even the guys at the firehouse for the past month and a half. Herman had went as far as to buy me a separate TV for my bunk area, but I hardly used it unless I had Gabby take it out to the squad table.
After a while Kelly comes back. I walk downstairs to see him putting groceries in the fridge.
"Leslie, I was going to bring it up to you, baby." Kelly says as he hugs me.
"I know, but I wanted to get up. Baby was being restless." I say placing my hands on my lower stomach.
Kelly places his hand over mine, and then Baby kicked. I let out a oomph and then laugh.
"What?" Kelly asks amused.
"Baby is kicking." I say placing Kelly hand on where the baby was kicking.
He smiles as the baby kicks his hand again.
"Okay, let's get your pickles and chocolate, and then go back upstairs. I have shift today." Kelly says kissing me.
I nod and he grabs a bowl of pickles and chocolate. I walk in front of him up the stairs to our bedroom. I sit down on the bed and Kelly hands me my food. As I start eating he pulls his t-shirt and jeans off, and then gets in bed. I munch on my chocolate and pickles as I watch the baby program and Kelly nuzzles his head against my side and goes back to sleep.
I don't think I could have asked for a better husband and father of my baby. He was now getting up anywhere from two to four in the morning and getting me whatever it is I needed. He didn't want me getting up in the middle of the night and walking down our spiral staircase, so he told me that whenever I needed anything to wake him up so he could go get it instead. He would make random runs to the grocery store in the middle of the night just to get something I was craving.
I finish eating and set the bowl down on my bedside table. I turn the TV off and lay down, lazily running my hand through Kelly's short brown hair. I run my hand down his cheek and jawline then over his lips. He looked calm, and not tired and exhausted. I gently kiss him on the lips then roll over. I lean back in to Kelly and he unconsciously wraps his arms around me. Then, I slowly fall asleep...

---
7 in the morning
---

I am woken up by Kelly's alarm going off, and him quickly silencing it.
"I'm sorry did it wake you?" He asks leaning over me from the side.
"It's alright. I can't believe this is my first shift off work." I say sitting up.
"I know, I'm going to miss you." He says sitting down beside me.
I realized he was already up and had his work bag in hand. I tilt my head to one side and ask, "How long have you been up?"
"About a half hour. Listen, I'll talk to Boden about getting out of work long enough to go to the ultra sound today, but I don't know if I'll be able to get out or not." He says.
"I know, I'm sorry that it had to be while you were on shift, but I've double checked all of the dates and I'm going to schedule the next one when you are off work." I say hugging him.
"What did you want for breakfast?" He asks.
"Chocolate ice cream." I say.
"Up here or downstairs?" He asks.
"Downstairs." I say.
He nods and helps me up. We walk downstairs, and I sit down on the couch as Kelly gets me a bowl of ice cream. He hands it to me and says, "I've got to meet Dawson at the house early this morning. So I've got to go, but I will be back tomorrow morning. If you need anything call me or Dawson, alright?"
I nod my head and say, "I know. Be safe, and Dawson goes in with you. Always."
He smiles and says, "I know. Dawson goes in with me no matter what."
He kisses me on the cheek and then leaves. I turn on the, and just as I'm about to start eating my ice cream someone knocks. I look at the clock and it was now seven thirty. Maybe Kelly had left his keys.
I get up and walk to the door, and open it as soon as I do I regret it. A man with a mask and gun grabs me by the arm as his partner raises a club and hits me on the side of the head. I collapse to the ground and scream out for Kelly just before I go unconscious...

---
Kelly Severide's POV
---
Later that day at noon 30min. before the OBGYN appointment
---

I am sitting in Boden's office and he says, "You can go ahead and go to the appointment, but take Squad with you."
"Thanks, Chief. It shouldn't be but a little more than an hour." I say standing up.
He nods his head and I walk out to the apparatus bay.
"Squad, we're going for a ride." I call out as I pull on my bunker gear pants.
We get in and pull off.
"So you hoping for a boy or girl, Severide?" Capp asks.
"I'd prefer a girl, but withers fine with me as long as she's happy and healthy." I say.
We pull up to the OBGYN and I look around the parking lot. I don't see Shay's car anywhere. I pull out my phone and call her. She doesn't pick up.
"Dawson, come inside with me." I say.
We get out and walk inside. All women's eyes on me, and all men's eyes on Dawson. We walk to the front desk and I ask, "Has a Leslie Severide checked in for her appointment?"
"What's your relation?" The girl asks me.
"Husband and father of her baby." I say showing her my wedding band.
She nods and types something in to her computer.
"The appointment was cancelled at eight this morning." She says.
"Dawson, something's wrong. Let's go." I say.
Dawson and I rush out to the truck and get in.
"Capp, my place. Light us up." I say.
He nods and hits the lights and sirens. We peel out of the parking lot and head to Leslie and I's place.
When we reach it Leslie's car is still out front. I jump out with Dawson, Capp, Kyle, and James on my heels. Dawson and I grab halligans and we all rush inside. I quickly open our front door and things immediately seem off to me. Her keys are laying on the counter, a melted bowl of ice cream sits on the bar, the bowl of popery that's sits on the table beside the door has been knocked over and the crystal is shattered on the ground.
"Shay! Shay where are you?!" Dawson calls out as we start searching.
I kneel down in the shattered crystal and wipe it away with my glove. There is a puddle of dried blood on the floor.
"Dawson call Antonio. Now!" I order as she comes back downstairs.
"Kelly, what... oh my god." Dawson kneels down beside me and then pulls out her phone.
"Antonio. We need you at Leslie and Kelly's apartment. Shay's missing, and the apartments a wreck." She says standing up and looking around.
My phone rings and I pull it out of my pocket to see it's a text from Shay with an image. I open it and see an image of Shay tied up and gagged, dried blood matting her blonde hair.
"Dawson..." I hold my phone out to Dawson, and she takes it.
"Antonio... hurry."