I Promise | Johnny Cade

By bunny-c0re

You moved to the east side of Tulsa, Oklahoma after your father lost his job. Struggling to fit in and make f... More

~This Won't Be So Bad..~
~First Day of School~
~Johnny Cade~
~The Gang~
~I Promise~
~I Killed Him~
~Nothing Gold can Stay~
~The Fire~
~I Think~
~You're Okay~
~Laced With Worry~
~Johnny's Home~
~The Hearing~

~The Drive In~

169 3 1
By bunny-c0re

Johnny's POV:

After Y/n left the house, I plopped down on the bed and felt my face burn. I... cuddled with her. I can still smell her alluring scent of flowers and lemongrass. As much as I'd love to lay in her bed all day and just soak in her scent, I don't wanna be a creep or somethin.

Dally. I can go see Dally. He said something about sleeping at Buck's last night. After I cooked up some eggs from the fridge, I got on my way to Buck's to go see Dally.

I knocked on the door and surprisingly, instead of Buck, Dallas was at the door.

"Who is- Oh hey there Johnny. Where's your jacket man? It's freezing." Dal spoke in a low scratchy voice, his dark brown hair all disheveled. (I'm going off of the way they looked in the movie cuz Matt Dillon is so pretty don't judge me).

"I'm letting Y/n borrow it for the day while she's at school. Besides, it ain't that cold." Dal ruffled my hair. "Of course a tuff kid like you doesn't think it's cold. What are ya doin here anyway Johnnycake?"

"I dunno, just felt like comin to see ya. Wanna hang out today?"

"Sure man. I'll be back down in a sec."

Dallas came back down with his hair neat. Well, as neat as Dal would let it be, and wearing the leather jacket you would never see him without.

"So Dal, what do you wanna do?"

"Nothin legal man. Let's go!"

Dally started terrorizing some middle school kids playing cards. I joined in at chasing em around to make sure Dally wasn't actually gonna kill em. After a while of chasing, I went to smoke a cigarette as Dally kept scaring them kids. Even Dal will get bored eventually.

"Hey Johnnycake, I'm hungry man. Wanna head to the Dingo? I'm buyin."

"Sure Dally."

After we settled in at the Dingo and Dallas did his normal routine of bothering the waitress, he turned to me with a smirk on his face.

"So... Y/n huh?"

I raised my eyebrow. "What about her?"

"You're dense if you don't realize you have the hots for her. Not just anyone can borrow your jacket."

"Come on Dallas we barely know each other. I'm just bein a good friend is all. Besides, even if I did like her she wouldn't like me back."

Dallas sighed and rubbed his forehead. "Friend my ass. Johnny, man, I saw the way she was lookin at ya last night. We all did. Apparently you were the only one who didn't. Just go for it man. But if she breaks your heart I'm breakin her neck. Alright?" (I still can't get over Dallas' relentless use of the word man)

"It ain't the time yet Dally, it just ain't the time."

After we ate our food and Dally paid the bill, I offered him to come with me back to Y/n's house. She's expectin me to be there when she gets home.

As I opened the door to her house, I turned to him.

"Okay Dallas, this is Y/n's house. That means no trashin the place. Got it?"

He raised his hands like I had caught him doing somethin.

"I would never Johnnycake. How dare you assume I would, man."

"Yeah yeah sure Dal." I said as I walked inside.

We sat on her couch talkin about everything and nothing, when we heard the doorknob turn.

"Hey Johnny! I'm home! Oh- Hi Dallas." Y/n said smiling. "Did Johnny invite you over?"

"Yeah, he was tellin me how much he likes-"

"Your couch! I really like your couch. Its so comfy."

"Oh. Well I guess it is comfy isn't it? I hope you two didn't get into too much trouble, I'm gonna go put my things away."

After Y/n left the room I shot Dal a dirty look. He only looked back with an innocent smile.

Y/n's POV:

After I set my backpack down in my room, I went back into the living room where Johnny and Dallas were talking.

"Hey Y/n, Dallas is talkin about going to the nightly double tonight. You wanna come?"

"Yeah sure! Could we invite Ponyboy too?"

Dallas smirked. I think that's the closest thing you can ever get to a smile from him. "I don't see why not. Let's go crash the Curtis house."

"Okay! Just let me write a note real quick for my dad so he knows where I am."

I got a small piece of paper and wrote:

Hey dad! I'm going to the nightly double with some of my friends, I promise I'll be home later.

Hugs, -Y/n

I left it on the kitchen table, and we started towards Pony's house.

"Oh! Johnny! I almost forgot, here's your jacket. Thanks for letting me borrow it again." I took off my jacket and handed it to him.

"No problem, Y/n." He smiled and put his jacket back on.

Johnny walked ahead of us, and I stayed behind to talk to Dallas.

"Hey Dallas?"

He grunted in response.

"Do you know why Johnny isn't in school?"

His gaze seemed to soften, just for a moment. Maybe he does have a soft spot after all.

"Well, he stopped goin after getting jumped by some socs. They got him real good. He hasn't gone back ever since, cuz he doesn't wanna see em again."

"Oh..."

"He'll be fine. He's a tuff kid. He's always been a tuff kid."

When we walked through the door of the Curtis house, we were greeted by everyone in the gang hangin out. Darry looked up from his newspaper.

"Hey y'all. What brings you here?"

"Well, Dallas, Johnny and I are gonna go to the nightly double tonight and we were wondering if anyone wanted to tag along."

Sodapop piped up.

"Sorry Y/n but Steve and I are going racin tonight."

"Yeah and I'm planning on getting boozed up tonight. If I'm not too bad I can come see y'all later."

"When are you not boozed up two?" Ponyboy said and we all laughed. "I'll come, if Darry'll let me."

"Well, I guess it's okay since you don't have school tomorrow, but you cant come home late okay?" Ponyboy agreed and joined us as we went on our way to the nightly double.

It only costs a quarter to get into the drive-in without a car, but Dallas wasn't about to do something the normal way. He led us to a hole in the chain-link fence for all of us to squeeze into for free.

"Nothin better than a free movie." He said as we settled into our seats.

I recognized two girls sitting in front of us.

It was Cherri what's her name and the other girl with black hair who were with that soc who poured water on my head. I turned to Johnny.

"Johnny. Those are some of the socs that poured water on me.."

"You don't need to worry Y/n. We have Dally with us. They cant do nothin." Johnny seemed to really look up to Dallas, I'm not sure why. Maybe he sees something in him that I just don't.

Dallas sat there with an evil smirk on his face. He was planning something.

He was getting way too close to the redhead for comfort, touching her hair and everything.

"Is this your... real red hair? How can I know if this is real? Is this the same red hair that you have on those eyebrows too?"

The redheaded girl was getting agitated.

"Get your feet off my chair and shut your trap."

"Who's gonna make me?" Dallas is taking this too far.

"You better leave us alone or I'll call the cops."

"Oh no, what am I gonna do Pony? This girl's making me shake." He turned to Ponyboy and said in a joking tone.

"Can't you just be nice and leave us alone?"

"I'm never nice."

There was silence for a few seconds before Dally piped up again.

"Can I interest you ladies in a coke?"

"Get lost hood!"

"Oh.. I'm sorry, I didn't know you had this problem of yelling in my face. I'll go. I know when I'm not wanted." Dally walked away, hands raised.

The girl turned around to us and said "Are you gonna start now too?"

Johnny's eyes widened and Ponyboy shook his head. Her gaze relaxed.

"You don't look the type anyway. What are your names?"

"I'm Ponyboy, and that's my buddy Johnny."

"I'm Y/n."

"Oh yeah I know you! We have chemistry together." She smiled. Does she really not remember what happened?

"Yeah.."

"Ponyboy, that's an original name.."

"Yea well my dad, he was an original person. I got a brother named Sodapop. Says so on his birth certificate."

The black haired girl spoke up. "The one who works at the gas station? He's a real doll. Shoulda known you was brothers."

"I'm Sherri, but my friends call me Cherri cuz of my hair. And this is Marcia." The Black haired girl smiled.

Cherri spoke again. "What are you guys doing hanging around that trash anyway?"

"Dallys my bud, I'm a grease too. We're all friends."

"Oh, I'm sorry I didn't know."

Dally came back with cups of coke in his hands. He handed one to Marcia and then the other to Cherri.

"This oughta cool you off."

Marcia happily sipped on her coke, but Cherri threw hers on to Dallas.

"Maybe that'll cool you off greaser, and you'll learn how to be decent!"

"Ooooo fiery, just how I like em-"

"Leave her alone Dal."

Johnny stood up, and everyone was shocked for a moment. Johnny, the same boy who practically worshipped the ground that Dallas Winston walked upon, was standing up to him.

"What did you say you little shit? What did you say to me?"

"C'mon Dal, just leave em alone."

Dally shoved his hands in his pockets. "Wise ass..." and walked away.

"Thanks, he had me scared to death." Cherri said, relieved.

"Well you sure didn't show it, no one talks to Dally like that."

"Well, you did."

Johnny's face got red and he sat back down. Marcia giggled and added, "Why don't you come up here so you can protect us?"

Pony and Johnny stood up. But I stayed behind.

"So how old are you two?"

"Fourteen."

"Sixteen."

"That's funny, I thought you were both-"

"Sixteen." Cherri interrupted her. And relief seemed to come over Ponyboy.

"How come you wasn't scared of us like you was Dally?" Johnny asked.

"You all look too sweet to be dangerous like him."

Someone behind us spoke.

"Yeah where is ol Dally anyway?"

I turned around to see Two-bit standing behind us, beer bottle in hand.

"Dal was bothering them." I said.

"Ah. He got a blade on him?"

"I don't think so."

"Good. Tim Shephard's going off cuz someone slashed his tires."

"How about we just go home?" Pony said. "Darry'll want me home around now anyway."

"We'll walk with you." Cherri said.

On our way walking home, Ponyboy and Cherri were lost in conversation. So were Two-bit and Marcia. Johnny and I just walked in silence, until we heard a car drive up behind us.

"Cherry! What are you doing out here with these greasers? We only got a little drunk!"

"A little?! You call reeling and passing out in the streets a little?!"

While the soc and Cherri stood there arguing, a bunch of socs piled out of the car. Two bit smashed his beer bottle and handed it to Pony. He took out his prize black handled switch blade. Was there gonna be a fight? Johnny grabbed my hand and pulled me to him.

"You filthy greasers should know your place, trying to pick up on our women..." The blonde, curly haired soc said, taking a swig from his flask.

"Come on!" Two-bit yelled. "We ain't afraid of you!"

Cherri jumped in between them.

"No! We'll go with you Bob. I hate fights, okay? I hate em."

That seemed to diffuse the situation. The girls got into the car as it sped off, and Johnny's grip on my hand loosened.

"Let's go home."

(Hey y'all! Gee this was a long one. I promise I'm not just rewriting the outsiders, it'll change up soon. If you enjoyed please vote, it would really mean a lot. New chapter out soon! Author out! -Bunny <3)

2053 words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.9K 375 62
Stacy Greene has just moved to town from California to get away from her past. She meets a gang of 'greasers' and quickly becomes friends with them...
22.9K 398 29
i don't own any of the characters!! characters belong to s.e. hinton :) "𝙃𝙞𝙨 𝙠𝙞𝙨𝙨 𝙝𝙖𝙙 𝙖 𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙘𝙞𝙛𝙞𝙘 𝙩𝙖𝙨𝙩𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙞𝙩. 𝙃𝙚 𝙩𝙖�...
21.4K 181 10
y/n matthews has always liked pony, ever since they met. what happens during winter break? will her and pony start dating? - all characters except fo...
2.7K 43 11
This is just a random idea I had. This is a Johnnyboy fanfiction, based off The Outsiders! I don't know how long I'll keep this going or how long thi...