I. Heart Of Gold (Uneditied)...

Por shadow_mynk

#354 in contemporary romance 06.10.2024 #30 in new adult fiction 06.10.2024 ... Más

PLEASE READ Authors Note
All Rights Reserved
One - Bad Boy Gets a Reading Buddy
Two - Limit for the Good Girl
Three - Friendly Food Offering
Four - A Dinner Surprise and a Friendly Face
Five - Denial
Six - Game Time
Seven - Threatening Texts
Eight - Not The Whole Truth
Nine - Someone Actually Cares
Ten - The First of Many Car Rides
Eleven - First Reading Session
Twelve - Playoffs and State
Thirteen - Big Surprise at State
Fourteen - Panicked Overthinking
Fifteen - Just Friends Hanging Out
Sixteen - The Fight at the Park
Seventeen - Nightmares in a Hospital Room
Eighteen - A Bomb From the Parents
Nineteen - A Hospital Thanksgiving
Twenty - Submitting to Feelings and the Agreement
Twenty-One - Buck Me
Twenty-Two - Hard to Keep Secrets
Twenty-Three - Mother's Grave
Twenty-Four - Alone Time
Twenty-Five - Truth of Emmilia
Twenty-Six - Discharge Day
Twenty-Seven - Back to School
Twenty-Eight - Secret is Out
Twenty-Nine - Snow Trapped
Thirty - Foreign Feelings
Thirty-One - Meeting the Grandparents
Thirty-Two - Disasterous Dinner
Thrity-Three - Positive Bruises (Love Bites)
Thirty-Four - Vulnerable and Pain
Thirty-Five - Hospital Check Up
Thirty-Seven - Nightmares Filled with Guilt
Thirty-Eight - Mother and Boyfriend Bonding
Thirty-Nine - Overprotective and Confessions
Fourty - A Court of Butterflies and Hornets
Fourty-One - Fly like a Butterfly, Sting like a Bee
Epilogue - The "L" Word
Book Two!

Thirty-Six - Meet Cute

3 1 0
Por shadow_mynk

Maddox's POV:

We got back to Emmi's and I parked in the driveway. I glanced at the door and noticed something was off. "Stay here," I told the girls. I got out of the car and walked to the ajar front door. "Hello?" I asked, as I walked in.

No answer. I moved forward and heard someone in the kitchen. I stood tall, not knowing the threat, and headed into the kitchen. "Drop everything and turn around with your hands up!" I growled.

"Whoa, is that any way to greet your brother, Mads?" The guy spoke as he turned around.

My jaw dropped and I looked at him confused, "Why are you back so soon? I thought you were gone for the whole year? And why are you here and not at home with mom and Kyrie? How the hell did you even get in here?"

His light brown hair fell into his green eyes as he walked over to me, "I was at moms. I was looking for you and she said you were staying here with some girl for the past two weeks. Something about her ex and a hospital. I wasn't completely paying attention. I figured I'd get a better story from you." He ran his hand through his shaggy hair as he continued, "I got home this morning and am home until the new year. Then I go back. And the front door was unlocked, so I just walked in. Haven't been here long, honestly."

I glared at him, "You can't just waltz into someone's house. What's wrong with you? And you've met Emmi, during our video chats."

"He called me earlier, knowing I was home. He wanted it to be a surprise," I heard a soft voice behind me.

I looked at Emmi and raised my brows, "What?"

"Maddy, you know I'd never just walk into someone's house. I'm a gentleman, not some jerk. I called Emmi this morning, after you left for school. She said she'd love the company, but when I got here, she was gone. You left the door unlocked when you left and I asked her if it was cool to hang out until you guys got home. She said fine and that was that." My brothers grinned.

"And...earlier I thought it was Briggs at the door, so I didn't give it a second thought of opening the door. But, as we know, it wasn't." Emmi spoke to her shoes. Nikki stayed by her side, eyeing my brother.

I walked over to Emmi with a huge smile. "This was definitely a nice surprise. Thank you, sweetie." I kissed her on the cheek while hugging her gently. "And I was wondering how Marz got in. But that makes sense now."

She nodded as her hands began to tremble. I looked to Nikki and she took Emmi into the den to try and calm her down. I watched as they left and I turned my attention to Briggs. "So, little bro, how is she doing? She told me a little bit, but not much."

I shrugged, "Emmi's okay. She was surprise attacked, which is why we weren't home when you got here. We had to go back to the hospital to make sure nothing else got damaged. Her exes sister came and it was this whole thing." I grabbed a few things from the fridge to make a small snack as I talked. "She's definitely shaken up again though. She's supposed to return back to school Monday, but I don't trust her being alone tomorrow. So I might not even go to school tomorrow. With what happened today, I'm more worried than ever now."

Briggs nodded and snagged a cheese stick, "I can stay while you're at school tomorrow. Keep an eye on her, if that's okay with you." He offered. "Of course, Emmi would have the ultimate answer."

"Mm she would." I chuckled. We walked into the den and I sat next to Emmi. She snuggled into me and Briggs sat in the love seat, eyeing Nikki who sat on Emmi's other side.

"Aren't you gonna introduce me, Maddy?" Briggs asked, motioning to Nikki.

"Ah, right. Well, Briggs, this is Nichole. Emmi's best friend. Nikki, this is my big brother Briggs. He is studying in Germany, but is home for the holidays." I smiled.

Nikki glanced at me, curious if he was the person I had talked about in the waiting room. I nodded and I watched her get more nervous than she had been. "Hi. Lovely meeting you, Briggs."

"You too, Nichole." Briggs smiled softly.

My brother was a big softy on the inside, so I knew when he met Nikki, he wouldn't be as gruff and scary. He's as observant as I am. I watched the two converse quietly while I combed my fingers through Emmi's hair gently.

"So, what are you studying out in Germany? I also didn't think you'd be able to leave until you were done with the year. How does that work?" Nikki asked, sitting on the edge of her seat.

Briggs chuckled, "It's a holiday right now, so I am able to come home. I go back after the new year, but I will be back officially in June." He took a swig of his beer and smiled, "I am studying to be a therapist. I want to help those who are struggling with mental health and grief."

Nikki turned her attention to me for a second and I noticed hope in her eyes. I smiled to her and she turned back to my brother. "That's pretty cool. Have you traveled since being out in Germany? Like to the countries nearby?"

He nodded, "Absolutely. I've visited France, Spain, Italy, and a few other neighboring countries. It's actually pretty cheap to travel out there. What about you?"

"I haven't been out of the country, muchless out of the state. Parents don't like to travel, but depending on where I go for college in two years, they may have to."

"Well, Pine Grove is a pretty nice college. It's in the middle of Wisconsin, so not too far. That's where I attend and I'll be there for a little bit." My brother chuckled, scratching the back of his head.

I noticed Nikki blush and I smiled, happy they were hitting it off the way I had hoped, as friends. I felt Emmi's breathing deepen and steady, so I looked down and realized she was asleep. Her head was in my lap and I had a feeling it wasn't super comfortable, so I gently and carefully lifted her head so I could put a pillow on my legs. I grabbed the blanket off the back of the couch and Nikki had moved to sit with my brother, so Emmi had more room to get comfortable.

"Someone's tired," Nikki giggled.

I nodded, "Yeah. With getting the scan, she had a big day. Oh! I meant to ask you, Nik. What really did calm her attack down before the scan? I know it wasn't milkshakes."

She shook her head, "You are correct, it wasn't milkshakes. It was...you. Emmi thought of you and how you make her feel. That's what calmed her down." She smiled. "She is crazy about you, Maddox. It's cute and she is very happy with you. She definitely deserves happiness and I'm glad that happiness for her is you."

I felt my heart speed up, skip beats, and stop from what Nikki said. My heart had definitely never done that before, and I looked at my brother in a panic. He nodded and stood up, "Nikki, why don't you cuddle Emmi in Maddy's place? I'm gonna get another beer and it looks like he wants to chat."

"Sure." She answered, standing up and coming over to me. We gently moved Emmi and she grumbled.

"No! Don't go!" She wined half asleep.

I chuckled softly and kissed her on the forehead, "I'll be right back, Em. Nikki's right next to you." I felt her reach for my hand, brushing it and falling to the side of the couch. I smiled at how clingy she was being. She wasn't feeling one hundred percent, so she had a right to be clingy. "Honey, I just need to talk to Briggs for a second and use the bathroom. Then we can snuggle more."

She pouted and turned around sleepily to snuggle Nikki. Nikki chuckled, and shrugged, "You're out of luck here, buster."

I frowned playfully, "Welp, your hers now. I guess I'm out of the picture." I laughed.

Nikki laughed while Emmi ignored us, knowing we were playing around. I went into the kitchen with Briggs and he gave me an interested look. "Kay. What the hell is going on with you?" He asked, taking a swig of his second beer.

I sighed, scratching the back of my head nervously, "I'm freaking out on the inside."

He raised his brows, "I can see that. Why?" We made deep eye contact, like he was reading me through my eyes. "You..."

"Yes, I do. More than anything in the world...but it's only been two weeks...I feel like I shouldn't feel like this this fast. Should I?" I groaned, "When Nikki said I was the one that made Emmi's panic attack stop, my heart sped up, skipped beats and stopped all at once. It's never done that before."

I watched Briggs smile wide, "Oh man, Maddy...you have it bad." He chuckled, patting me on the back. "When are you gonna say something?"

"Two weeks...day before her birthday. Nikki has the perfect plan for it. I just need to find the perfect place for dinner downtown. Her and I...really haven't been on an actual date since we started dating. I know it's stupid as hell, but I feel like it needs to be perfect. Is that weird?"

My brother shook his head, "Not at all, Mad. I felt that way with Felicity, but it wasn't the same for her. She didn't and that was that. I couldn't see her the same way after that."

"That's why you broke it off?" I raised my brows.

He nodded, "Yeah. That and she was seeing my old roommate behind my back. That was just the topping on the cake." He scratched the back of his head and I noticed him look past me for a second to the girls. "But you, you have nothing to worry about, little bro."

I ran my hand through my hair nervously. "Anyway, aside from mom and Ky, I've never said it to a girl before..."

"Well, here's a tip. It doesn't matter where you say it or how you say it. Just as long as it's special to you and her. Whether it's by accident, or not." He smiled, "Just relax and don't overthink this, Maddox."

I sighed, knowing he was right. But I also couldn't just stop obsessing over it either. I was starting to act like a love crazed girl on the inside and it was scaring me a bit. "Thanks, Briggs. I appreciate it."

He smiled and ruffled my hair, "Anything for my little bro." He chuckled and headed back into the den.

I stayed in the kitchen with my thoughts as I cleaned the kitchen a little. It distracted me. "Maddox, you coming back?" I heard Nikki call.

I finished up and nodded, "Yeah. Done with snuggling?" I chuckled.

"I just really have to use the bathroom," she laughed. "Plus, I know she'd rather be snuggling with her man." Nikki smirked.

I blushed, "Uh huh...sure she would." I plopped back on the couch gently, and Emmi came back to my lap. "Honey, are you gonna be able to sleep tonight?"

She hummed with a partial nod and nuzzled into me. I chuckled, knowing full well she was lying. "You guys are too loud." Emmi pouted, putting a pillow over her visible ear.

"Then I think you should sit up and join us." I told her, gently trailing my fingers up and down her side.

She squirmed and looked up at me. "Fine, but don't do that again, sir. I don't appreciate being tickled right now." She stuck her tongue out, crossing her arms across her chest after she sat up.

We all laughed and I kissed her on the cheek, "Yes, ma lady." I bowed in my seat as I chuckled.

Nikki grabbed the remote from the side table and addressed us all, "Movie or tv show?" She asked.

I shrugged, Emmi didn't want to answer and Briggs was a few beers in so who the hell knew what was coming out of his mouth. "What about a movie with a tv show? Like you know how some movies come before the tv show happens, but it's still the same characters, just set after the movie?" Briggs mumbled.

Nikki nodded, "Yeah. What did you have in mind?"

"I think he's thinking of the Luhaal Universe. There are a few movies out for the Shifter saga and then a television show being made for after the events of book four." I stepped in.

Nikki's eyes lit up, "Oh. My. Gosh! I love those books. Mynk Baylor is my favorite author!"

Briggs smirked, setting his third and final beer down. "They're mine too. I have all first editions and they're all signed."

I smiled, chuckling to myself silently as the two got giddy over the same author. Emmi looked at me curiously, "Why are you smirking like that?"

"It's nothing, sweetie. Just happy they're getting along." I dismissed. Emmi shrugged and left it alone, cuddling back into me.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

1.7M 38.4K 71
"𝐌𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲, 𝐄𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐞. 𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲...
61.1K 2.5K 28
Jordan never noticed Juliet. Juliet had given up to get his attention. And if they end up hiding together in the same closet, he can't stop talking a...
55.5K 1.8K 64
He seemed like the devil. He was evil. Cruel. She was always portrayed as a weapon. A tool. An occasional use. One wrong turn -literally- and ever...
502K 12.8K 48
Socially awkward software engineer Allie isn't looking for romance when she moves to New York City to escape her insufferable ex and start over. But...