Invisible String | Emily Pren...

By emilyprentissbae

"𝙃𝙚𝙡𝙡 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙟𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙣𝙚𝙮 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙞𝙩 𝙗𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙢𝙚 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙫𝙚𝙣" After becoming Unit Chie... More

one
two
three
four
five
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty-three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six

six

2.2K 77 20
By emilyprentissbae

𝐘/𝐍 𝐏𝐎𝐕

"MARY TURNER I'm with the FBI! I need you to drop your gun!" Emily said calmly but authoritatively as she held her gun up.

"Go away!" Mary screamed as she pressed the gun harder into my head and tightened her grip around my upper arm. I swear to god if I get shot in the head right now...

"Mary, I need you to listen to me okay?" I said slowly. I wasn't about to stand here and do nothing while I was at gunpoint. Luckily the pictures of Mary and her sister sparked an idea in my head of how to apprehend her without any shots being fired. Well, I was 95% confident in my idea... maybe 85%.

"Why?!" She yelled as she tightened her hand even harder. This is definitely going to leave a bruise.

"Your sister Ashley, she meant the world to you, right?" I asked softly. No response. Well, I guess that's better than getting shot.

"She was your baby sister, you looked out for her. So when she was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder you didn't know what to do. You saw her lose friends, fall into depression, and have explosive episodes of anger." I said calmly. Thank God I read her medical personnel file.

"I felt so useless," Mary whispered from behind me. I saw Emily tighten the grip on her gun, she was getting ready to shoot. Her face was stone cold but her eyes told a different story. She looks.... scared?

"So you went to med school and tried to learn everything you could. All you wanted to do was help Ashley, right?" I asked gently.

"Yes, I just wanted to help her! I thought I could cure her. All I wanted was to help her and the people like her." Mary said as she choked back a cry. I slowly stepped in front of Mary so Emily didn't have a clear shot. She looked at me wide-eyed. "Y/n!" Emily said quietly trying to move her lips as little as possible. I just stared at Emily and continued. No one else needs to die, not even Mary.

All of a sudden I heard footsteps and the roar of cars from outside. The rest of the team slowly came up behind Emily, their guns were drawn.

"Look around Mary, everyone's gun is on you. I know you're intelligent enough to see that there are many possible outcomes on how this will end." I said tenderly. I stared at the rest of the team and could see the fear in their eyes. Well, that sure doesn't make me feel better...

"So, if you're actually the monster that everyone here thinks you are, go ahead and shoot me. But if you shoot me, every one of those agents are going to fire their gun and kill you." I said firmly. I felt everyone in the room stop breathing. Everyone was staring at me unblinking. Just trust me, I know what I'm doing. I said through my eyes.

"But if you die, all this work you did for Ashley and people like her will go unseen." I continued. I felt the grip on my arm start to loosen and the gun on my head slacked. Oh thank God, this is actually working.

"So put the gun down, Mary. Not for you or me, but for Ashley. You tried to save her Mary, and even though she isn't here, I know she's grateful for how much you cared about her. She will always love you Mary, a sister's bond is unbreakable." I said softly. All of a sudden I heard the gun fall to the floor. I sighed in relief and felt my heart rate pick up. Holy shit, I can't believe that actually worked.

I saw the team running towards me but I held out my hands to tell them that I'd got it. "I have to put handcuffs on you, okay Mary?"I said softly. She nodded as tears fell down her face. I gently pulled her hands behind her back and put the cuffs on. I should have felt accomplished that I had apprehended her, but instead, I just felt empty. All Mary wanted was to help her sister...

I walked her out of the house and made sure to not make eye contact with anyone, especially Emily. I knew I was about to get ripped a new one.

Once I put Mary in the police car I turned around and saw Emily storming towards me. Well, this isn't going to be good.

"What the hell was that y/n?!" She said angrily.

"Emily-" I started.

"First, you went into her house after I specifically told you to stay in the car." She said loudly causing everyone to turn toward us. I could see the team slowly coming out of the house to see what was going on.

"I tried calling your name-" I said defensively.

"Well next time, try a little harder! But that's no where near the level of shit you pulled in that house!" She screamed. I opened my mouth to respond but she kept talking.

"You purposefully obstructed my field of vision so that I didn't have a clear shot! I had the gun on her for your goddam safety, not mine! And then you told her to shoot you! I don't think I even have to explain everything wrong with that!" She said angrily as she kept walking closer to me.

I should have been scared by the way Emily was yelling at me, but if anything, I was pissed.

"With all due respect, Agent Prentiss, we apprehended the unsub without anyone dying. I used the profile that the team built. Mary wasn't narcissistic and showed no signs of aggression. You know as well as I do, that Mary wasn't going to shoot that gun unless she felt extremely cornered. So, I sure as hell was not about to let you shoot her when I knew there was a chance that she could walk out alive and get the help she needed!" I said staring into her eyes the entire time. I have no idea where any of this came from. I was the farthest thing from a confrontational person. Yes, I will admit I was a bit reckless, but the way Emily screamed at me and talked to me like I was incompetent, released pent-up rage I didn't know I had.

Emily stormed over to me and stopped about a foot away from me, I could feel her breath. She smelled like expensive perfume and roses. Oh my God stop, this is not the time....

The look of anger on her face was one that I didn't know was possible to achieve. She was a couple of inches taller than me, but the way she looked down on me made me feel two feet tall.

"If you play Russian Roulette with your life like that, one day you'll lose it." She said quietly so that only I could hear her. She took a step closer and I had to take a deep breath to stop myself from panicking. Up close she was so much more intimidating.

"You better say goodbye to any freedom you thought you had in the field because I will be watching over you like a goddam hawk. Until you prove to me that you aren't a safety hazard, nothing you do will go unseen by me, got it?" She gritted through her teeth.

I nodded partly terrified and partly annoyed. "Got it."

She looked me up and down before turning around and storming back to the car. The rest of the team watched Emily drive away with their mouths open.

I was standing in shock. What the hell just happened....

I guess I was zoned out because all of a sudden the rest of the team was in front of me.

"You okay?" JJ asked softly as she pulled me into a hug. I nodded as I wrapped my arms around her. She squeezed me before letting go.

"Y/n, that was an excellent and impressive takedown, I hope you know that," Reid said with a small smile. I let out a deep breath. His words of affirmation meant a lot more than he realized.

We started walking to the SUVs when Rossi walked up next to me.

"You managed to piss off Prentiss in just two days of knowing her. Welcome to the team y/n." Rossi said as he patted my shoulder with a small smile. I smiled back.

Everything was going to be okay.

𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐘 𝐏𝐎𝐕

I STARED at the clouds outside of the jet window. We boarded about ten minutes ago after packing up everything from the police station and hotel. The case ended surprisingly quickly, but it was one I would definitely never forget.

Was I too harsh on y/n? I thought over and over again. Yes, she had been unbelievably reckless, even for a new agent. However, the way she got Mary to drop her weapon so easily was honestly impressive, but that doesn't take away from the fact that she could have been killed. In all honesty, I was planning on shooting Mary the second I saw her gun on y/n.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by y/n's laughter from the other side of the plane. Well, at least I didn't break her...

I kept replaying the brief flicker of fear I saw in her eyes when Mary was holding a gun to her head. It wasn't there for long but I saw it. I guess I was angry about the way she offered her life so easily. I knew she was right about the profile, Mary wouldn't have fired the gun unless absolutely necessary, but she was still human. There was still a chance things could have gone wrong, but I think y/n is too optimistic to see the true evil in people.

Maybe my blowing up on her was for the best. I gave her a reason to both hate and fear me. Maybe that scared her enough to not be so impulsive. Although, I wasn't expecting her to fight back. She didn't seem like the type of person to do that, which only made my head spin even more. What's under her bright, optimistic persona?

All of a sudden Rossi sat down in the seat in front of me. Oh great...

"That was quite a show you put on at the house." He said as he leaned back into the chair.

"Was I wrong?" I fired back quietly.

"No, but I also happen to know another agent that was just like y/n when she started," Rossi said softly.

I groaned. I knew exactly where this was going.

"Everyone said she was too reckless, they said she would do anything to be in the field. But I knew that wasn't true, because once I got to know her, I saw how caring she was. She would do anything to protect the people she loved and even people she didn't know. She wanted to help people, even when she was told not to." Rossi finished, looking at me with a small smile.

"Was that your fancy way of telling me I should get to know y/n before being so harsh on her?" I asked raising my eyebrows.

"Well yes, but I'm also saying to show her some empathy. You were in her shoes once." Rossi said softly before standing up and heading back to the rest of the team.

I frowned as even more thoughts were now spinning in my head. Was that why I got so mad? Because I didn't want her to end up like me?

I must have fallen asleep because I woke up to Tara shaking my shoulder. "We just landed boss"

I nodded with a small smile. I grabbed my stuff and followed the team back to the bullpen. When the elevator doors opened to the sixth floor Penelope was standing in the hallway with a huge smile.

"Oh, my Goddess! You don't know how much I missed your beautiful faces!" She says as she pulled everyone into an individual hug. I reluctantly gave in, although I knew I was going to get a hug from Penelope whether I wanted to or not.

"Did you miss my beautiful face?" Luke teased once Penelope got to him.

"Oh don't flatter yourself, newbie," Penelope said with an overaggressive eye roll.

I stared at them for a second. Oh my god, they are so going to be a thing...

I snapped back into reality when Penelope started talking again. "We have to do a team dinner! Who's in!"

"I am!" Everyone basically said at the same time. Then almost in sync, everyone turned to look at me. Although, it was y/n whom I made eye contact with. God, her eyes were mesmerizing... No, stop.

"I have a lot of paperwork to catch up on, but you guys go have a good time," I said with a tightlipped smile before immediately heading to my office. I didn't stick around to see anyone's reaction.

I rarely ever went out with them so it shouldn't have been that much of a surprise.  I didn't lie though, I had a shit ton of paperwork to do after this case. On the plus side, it helped clear my mind. And it definitely needs to be cleared...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.5K 519 21
Y/n is fresh out of college to the BAU. Her FBI academy professor Dr. Tara Lewis decides to set y/n and the Unit Chief of the BAU up. With everythin...
37.2K 811 25
Y/n recently transferred to the BAU. She quickly became closer to a fellow agent than she ever thought possible. Will her past ruin her future, or wi...
55.7K 960 17
Spencer and Maeve are happily in a relationship together until the new agent steps into the BAU. Y/N is the new transfer and new member to the team...
59K 1K 23
Y/N has just moved to Virginia to start her new Job in the BAU. Little does Y/N know that her life is about to change forever. However life has not...