Blood And Fire

By stephenpaolini1

In a world where vampires seek to enslave humans and use them as cattle for the slaughter, one force stands i... More

Blood And Fire
Chapter 2- A Vampiress and Her Kill
Chapter 3-Campfire Stories
Chapter 4-Highland Den
Chapter 5-The Catacombs
Chapter 6-Vampire Patrols
Chapter 7-Dragon Mating
Chapter 8-Vlad
Chapter 9-Wysteria Island
Chapter 10-Nick's Dream
Chapter 11-Lyra and Skyhalla
Chapter 12-Dinner With Vlad
Chapter 13-Koalpan Bend
Chapter 14-Port of Frios
Chapter 15-Surprise Attack!
Chapter 16-Nakira's Flashback
Chapter 17-Drake's Memories
Chapter 18-Crow Master Raven
Chapter 19-A Spy In Our Midst
Chapter 20-Trouble At Koalpan Bend
Chapter 21-Strange Magic
Chapter 22-Vision Quest
Chapter 23-Leo
Chapter 24-Funeral Pyre
Chapter 25-Superfast
Chapter 26-Villains in the North
Chapter 27-Skiwa Stories
Chapter 28-Bath in the River
Chapter 29-Pixie Kin
Chapter 30-Antoine and Raven
Chapter 31-Row, Row, Row Your Boat
Chapter 32-Interrogation Techniques
Chapter 33-Richard
Chapter 34-Vlad's Journal
Chapter 35-Origins of Evil
Chapter 36-Shark vs. Vampire
Chapter 37-Pop
Chapter 38-Misty Flight
Chapter 39-Disturbing Dinner
Chapter 40-Raven's Nightmare
Chapter 41-Bed&Breakfast
Chapter 42-On the Road Again
Chapter 43-Cosette
Chapter 44-Mortimus
Chapter 45-Strange Bedfellows
Chapter 46-Necromancy Rites
Chapter 47-The City of Aldin
Chapter 48-Memories...
Chapter 49-Transformation
Chapter 50-Call to Arms
Chapter 51-The Living Dead
Chapter 53-Wicked Laughter
Chapter 54-Two Separate Attacks
Chapter 55-The Red Dragon
Chapter 56-King Louis IV
Chapter 57-Almost There
Chapter 58-Crispy Critters
Chapter 59-Finnigan's Back Story
Chapter 60-Talon Claw
Chapter 61-Pyronius Help Me
Chapter 62-Cosette's Back Story
Chapter 63-Dragon Blood
Chapter 64-Air&Ground Forces
Chapter 65-Go Get Help!
Chapter 66-Nakira's Predicament
Chapter 67-Tea With Malthor
Chapter 68-Confounded Snow
Chapter 69-Fighting the Plague
Chapter 70-Pop's Speech
Chapter 71-Squawk
Chapter 72-Dog Fights
Chapter 73-Status Check
Chapter 74-Antoine the Gargoyle
Chapter 75-Burn It All!
Chapter 76-A Day of Days
Chapter 77-Cat Woman
Chapter 78-Reunited?
Thank You For Reading!
Sneak Peek into Awakenings and Retributions: Volume 2 of The Draconos Saga

Chapter 52-The Enforcers of Aldin

93 15 10
By stephenpaolini1

CHAPTER 52

Nick, Sebastian and the other Riders stare at the city beneath them with mouths agape. The chaos they are witnessing seems surreal, as if out of a nightmare. A light drizzle has ensued, but its dampening effects are insufficient to thwart the gas driven fires sprouting from the street lamps, as the flammable substance explodes glass bulbs in a consecutive order down the streets.

Some buildings are already ablaze where portions hang over the volatile street lights. Trees, likewise, are igniting within close proximity to the hazard.

People are spilling from their homes and other buildings and are screaming in alarm. Some are shrieking in pain. Another group of slow moving individuals are trailing behind the panicked masses, occasionally descending on those that have fallen or are unable to keep up.

A fire brigade clangs their bell from its horse drawn contraption. Men jump off the wheeled apparatus, wearing trench coats and shiny helmets. They shoulder long and thick hoses and make their way to the worst of the fire. Other men operate a teeter-totter driven pump, mounted on a huge drum. As they put forth their exertions, a steady stream of water issues from the end of the hose that the other firemen are now aiming at the base of the flame.

Another crew arrives with a large wrench. They approach one of the streetlamps as its geyser of flame blasts away at the sky and trees and buildings around it. They cautiously crouch as they get within the heat radius of the technology gone awry.

Opening a small, protective wrought-iron gate around the gas lamp's perimeter, the city workers manage to fasten the metal tool to its mate near the base of the fire fountains. Working as a team, two strong men heave and ho until the wrench starts to budge. Within moments, the angry plume of fire stymies its exuberance, until disappearing into the broken, metal tip of the gas lamp.

As the team makes its way toward the next flaming post, a mob of zombies falls upon them - biting and scratching the subdued workers.

Likewise, the fire brigade is overwhelmed by more undead that not only feast upon the humans, but are also tearing at the flesh of the horses.

"Great Pyronius," breathes Sebastian in disbelief. Then, getting his wits about him, he turns to Geldar and commands "Send a message to Talonclaw and Highland Den.....Now!"

The mighty black dragon acknowledges Sebastian with gleaming, golden eyes and a nod. Geldar looks to the skies in concentration as he engages in long distance telepathy.

Sebastian reels on his men and yells, "Saddle up, boys! We have work to do!"

The Enforcers of Aldin comply with the constable's orders. They rush about, throwing on gear and fastening saddles to their dragons.

Nick is still mesmerized by the scale of the disaster below. As magnificient as the City of Aldin is, it already appears to be falling into ruins as fire and panic grip its structures and residents.

He turns to face the scrambling Dragonmen, and addresses Sebastian as the leader pulls the leather straps of the riding gear snugly about Geldar's thick neck.

"What about him?" Nick asks, motioning to Finnigan as the skinny old man attempts to slink toward the corner of the hanger.

Sebastian regards the captive with a grunt and a harsh laugh. He snaps his fingers at his closest rider and says, "Put him in a cell and leave him some bread and water. And be quick about it, man! We have a city to save."

As the Enforcer drags the protesting Finnigan down the corridor, Nick asks Sebastian, "How many are you?"

"We are only six. The black riders from Talon Claw have been sent the summons for aid. We only need help Aldin's military until back up arrives," replies Sebastian, putting the finishing touches on the harness holding the saddle securely to Geldar. "Now, if you please, my men and I have a duty to perform."

"Drake and I would like to help," Nick offers.

Sebastian stops his preparation and regards the adolescent with approving eyes.

"That is very generous, young Nick, but I and my men are all Elite Riders, trained at Talon Claw. No offense, but, while your intentions are noble, your inexperience would only get in the way. We have no time here to save your skin and that of a not quite full-grown dragon."

Sebastian puts a foot in the stirrup and pulls himself upon Geldar.

But Nick is not finished. He says, "I think you would be surprised at what Drake and I are capable of."

Losing patience and knowing time is of the essence, Sebastian irritably replies, "You are free to do as you wish, just stay out of our way and don't expect us to have the time to come to your rescue." With that, Geldar and the other black dragons leap from the hangar and soar across the urban scape toward the chaos that abounds.

The Dragonrider that had locked up Finnigan is now close on the heels of his brethren and shrugs his shoulders at Nick as he and his black dragon take off as well.

Nick and Drake are left at the mouth of the hangar to decide their course of action. Drake turns his luminous ruby eyes to Nick with an expectant patience.

Looking across the destruction once more, the young vampire takes a deep breath and fixes his face with a determined expression. He looks back to his dragon and nods his head once sharply and says, "Right! Well, who wants to live forever, eh?"

Scrambling to Drake's neck, Nick pulls hard on the reins. The two fly high above the small mountainous cave and speed toward the troubled city.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

242K 11.6K 62
[COMPLETE] How can love blossom in the midst of hatred? How can it catch you so suddenly and unexpectedly? Draco's 6th year was not at all going how...
477K 17K 39
Harry Potter regained consciousness, the morning after his uncle raped him. He woke to find small horns on his head, huge black scaled wings on his b...
591 1 5
These are a series of standalone chapters from my upcoming book, Nihilos Draconum: Rise of a Warrior. It is meant to be a preview of my writing style...
508K 20.1K 30
America is the rebellious prince of Britannia who only desired to have freedom in his life. Of course that's impossible considering the position he w...