Two Rejects

By zero_gravity500

"Oh Mia," Alpha Matthew's low, slow voice practically purred. "I'm going to take so much pleasure in ruining... More

Author's Note
Fan Covers
Chapter 1 - Welcome to Sparta
Chapter 2 - The Glaze
Chapter 3 - Rejected by my mate
Chapter 4 - Going Rogue
Chapter 5 - Some Nice Strangers
Chapter 6 - Trusting the Enemy
Chapter 7 - Alpha Matthew
Chapter 8 - Becoming a Scholar
Chapter 9 - Professor Alpha
Chapter 10 - Alpha's Office Hours
Chapter 11 - Muscle Memory
Chapter 12 - Beer Me
Chapter 13 - Werewolf Hangovers
Chapter 14 - Old Town
Chapter 15 - Electrifying
Chapter 16 - Fashion Show
Chapter 17 - Electric Candles
Chapter 18 - Hosts of the Castle
Chapter 19 - Ruining You
Chapter 20 - Absolutely Insulting
Chapter 21 - Contingencies
Chapter 22 - Fight
Chapter 23 - Glorified Babysitter
Chapter 24 - Old Friends
Chapter 25 - The Initiation
Chapter 26 - Oh-So-In-Love
Chapter 27 - Barbie B*tch
Chapter 28 - A Chance
Chapter 29 - Two Separate Entities
Chapter 31 - Bearing a Mark
Chapter 32 - Glowing
Chapter 33 - Alpha Alter-Ego
Chapter 34 - Formalities
Chapter 35 - Two Unlikely Lovers
Chapter 36 - Haunting War Cry
Chapter 37 - The King
Chapter 38 - Chess Game
Chapter 39--The Foretell Part 1
Chapter 40 -- The Foretell Part 2
Chapter 41 - A Second Chance
Chapter 42 - Brotherhood
Chapter 43 - The Ceremony
Chapter 44 - Epilogue
Author's Note - Prequel and Sequel(s)
Author's Note - Rebelling the Alpha King
Bonus Chapter - Graduation & Mia Meet's Matthew's Parents

Chapter 30 - Going Rogue II

15K 610 38
By zero_gravity500

A/N: Guys!!! Thank you so much for the 20 votes. I am horrendously drunk at the moment -- whist at a club. But you made it to the 20 votes and as promised, here is the next chapter :)) I love you all very very much and I'm so glad you're enjoying my story <<333 sorry for any mistakes as I haven't properly edited it yet haha

***

I must have passed out in the back of my wolf's mind. Hours flew by like minutes. We're so far away from the Valley and by the time I start to realize my surroundings, I can't even tell where we are anymore.

North, my wolf answers for me. I took us North. Away from Sparta and away from the Valley.

My legs are shaking, and I think I've reached the maximum limit of running tonight. It's already dark outside. The winter nights much colder than the day. I start walking through the forest. My tail tucked behind my legs as I just aimlessly wander.

My wolf is despondent. She isn't reacting to anything right now. But luckily the pain has numbed and stopped stinging. The anger has subdued—replaced by enervation. I start to smell something familiar in the air. Slightly confused but intrigued. With caution, I let my nose guide me to a small clearing.

I stay hidden by the line of trees. A tiny campfire with food roasting making me drool. A couple—one guy and a girl—sitting around smiling at one another. They don't notice me at all until the breeze shifts slightly, my scent drifting towards them.

They stand up instantly, growling heavily. I'm about to retreat into the woods—scared I'm legitimately going to be killed—when the girl speaks up first. "Wait," her voice is confused. Eyebrows narrowing together. Oddly, there's something familiar in her face but I can't quite put it. Maybe that's why my wolf and I haven't run away.

"Eric," She turns to the guy who's suddenly taking a protective stance in front of her. "I think that's..."

Her voice drifts off and they seem to mind link. Eric's tense body relaxes slightly. Their eyes staring at me with a small tinge of friendliness. Eric sighs out, "Dammit Jess why do you have to be so fucking nice all the time. Do you know how long I chased that rabbit?"

He sits back down at the fire. Jess seems to ignore him, her eyes trained on me delicately. "Would you like something to eat?" Her voice is kind and the smile on her face inviting.

I tentatively move out of the forest, her expression watching me carefully. She tells Eric to look away, but his back is already turned to me as he roasts the rabbit. I shift into my human form, grabbing a sweatshirt and pants from my tote bag. Déjà vu hitting me but I can't really figure out why.

The couple stare at me as I take a seat beside them. "I'm Jess," The girl tells me kindly. "This is my mate, Eric."

I nod at them, my voice small. "Mia."

They turn to look at one another. Eric hands me some food once he notices that I'm drooling. "You really don't remember?" Jess asks under her breath.

I frown, "Remember?"

Eric coughs, his throat clearing. "So what brings you so deep into the forest, Mia?"

I don't want to cry. I don't want to think about it. I hug myself as I try to gather warmth from the fire. I decide to just stay silent, just eating some of the food and letting the couple stare at me. Eric hands me something to drink and I gulp it down swiftly.

"You need to be careful." Eric says, somewhat concerned. "A bit more north and you'll cross into the Sierra pack."

I nod in understanding, keeping my eyes staring straight into the fire. Jess scoots closer to me, her arm wrapping over my shoulder. I tense slightly, but something tells me she's not a threat. It's so strange. I feel like I've met these people before, but my memory is failing me. Even their scents are familiar.

Jess turns to her mate, they seem to have a discussion through their mind link. Eric shakes his head before Jess glares at him. He finally sighs deeply, arms crossing. "Fine," His features turn to me. "We have a place nearby. If you need somewhere to stay."

I shake my head. I don't know them—or at least—I don't think I do. But I need to keep moving. I have to make it past the river and hope that no one is following after me. I wonder if Matthew even cares that I'm gone. I'm more concerned about Spartan's finding me.

"Thank you for the food," I finally speak up. "But I need to keep moving."

"Are you sure?" Jess asks. She seems legitimately concerned. "We can also introduce you to someone that might be able to...to help."

I don't know what she means by that—but I decide to stand up. The warmth of the fire suddenly feeling so far away as the night air hits me. It's much warmer in wolf form when I have my fur. I wrap my arms around myself.

"I..." I'm so lost. I don't know what to do or where to go. I feel hopeless and confused.

Eric frowns slightly, "If must go, don't go up the mountain side. You'll be in the Sierra. Their wolves are cold."

I thank them again. A part of me wonders if I should stay with them. They did say they have housing. I wonder why I trust them so easily. But I know that I have to keep going. My wolf longing for as much space between ourselves and the Valley. It feels surreal. I shift back with ease, my wolf feeling better now that we've eaten, and we trot along the creek.

***

At some point in the night, I found a nice spot to sleep at. Just under a large rock that gave me enough shelter from the wind. As I awake, I realize that the clouds look gray, and I can smell the forecast of rain. I stayed in wolf form, letting her take over.

I wonder what Matthew is doing, I ask my wolf.

My heart is longing him. Sleeping felt like something impossible last night but the exhaustion hit me like a truck, and I couldn't help but fall into slumber. It's the first time in a while I don't wake up in Matthew's bed. The thought of his warm body against mine brings tears in my eyes. I wonder if he's happy with Lila. If they slept in the same bed. Maybe he's making her his French toast.

Fuck, I curse to myself. A part of me last night tried to reason that we should go home. My wolf is adamant that she can't bare a rejection and I can't either. Regardless, I'm being driven insane by the thoughts of what Matthew is doing.

I want to go back to sleep—the only place where I don't have to think or feel. But I suddenly pick up on a familiar scent. My wolf starts to panic. We run out of our sleeping spot only to get tackled on the ground by another wolf. She's growling and snapping her jaws at me. I manage to push her off with my hind legs, standing up straight and facing her head on.

Olive, my wolf snarls.

For a split second, I feel nothing but pity. I know Olive's wolf very well. We would spar together in Sparta and the last I saw her was when she knocked me out in the Initiation. She looks completely different now. Her wolf looks neglected. The ribs in her side slightly showing like she's lost an atrocious amount of weight. Her eyes are desolate and almost feverish.

She wants to take us back to Sparta, I tell my wolf.

I don't know what she's doing so far north, but it can't be good. Clara told me that Sparta was looking for me, but they hadn't ventured further than a certain point. Being this close to the Sierra means that they've broadened their scope.

I decide to stand my ground—I can't run. She'll just chase me or call for backup. There's something behind her eyes—pain. I even notice a few marks on her that look like they've been inflicted. I was never close friends with her, but I can't help feeling sympathy.

What has Bren done to you? I ask more so to myself than her.

Olive advances her attack. I sidestep her angry claws, letting her try to tire herself out. She's much more manic than I remember. We grew up learning to fight in a controlled method. This is not controlled, it's desperate.

I try to stop her. I don't want to hurt her. But she's just so angry and her wolf has gone berserk. She manages to slash my shoulder and I yelp in pain. She's trying to maim me enough that I'll willingly go but that's never going to happen. I refuse to step foot on Spartan territory ever again.

I plead with her with my eyes. Trying to ask her to stop. But she keeps advancing. She's just about to lunge at me when a large brown wolf comes from the side, hitting her directly into a tree. Olive slams so hard into a trunk, I can hear some of her bones breaking. Her breath shallows until I can barely hear it. My sight is re-directed to Tyler, who's standing in front of me with both joy and sadness. His legs are shaking, and I can tell he's exhausted.

I feel him trying to mind link me, but I don't let him in. I turn on my paws, running as fast as I can. Tyler howls, chasing after me. Even with his exhaustion, he cuts me off. His mind link pounding in my head. He growls at me when I try to sidestep him again.

I finally let him in. Holms, stop!

Please just let me go, Tyler. I beg him. I can't bare it.

He pauses for a split second—eyes staring into mine. You need to come home, Mia.

Hardly does he ever use my first name. My wolf whimpers, You didn't hear him! Matthew wants Lila.

Tyler's eyes soften, he steps towards me. My head drops and he presses his snout against mine. No, he doesn't Mia. He wants you.

He said he would give Lila a chance. I tell him, I love him so much. I can't go through his rejection. I can't.

My wolf starts shaking. If I let her get this emotional in her wolf form, we'll break again. I shift into my human self, pulling my knees to my chest. Letting heavy sobs rock my body again. I want to go home. I want to go to the Valley. I want Matthew to be there and to care about me. But what if he doesn't? What if Lila is there and I'm just...a pet.

Tyler shifts into his human form. My tears are streaking my vision, but I can tell he hesitates. He sits down beside me, his arm wrapping around my shoulders. I lean into him slightly, letting his warmth comfort me while I cry on his shoulder. We both may be naked but it's not something we're focused on.

"Holms," Tyler says softly. I finally look up at his face and I can see his sorrow and exhaustion. He hasn't slept all night and it shows with the bags under his eyes. "You need to come back. Alpha...Matthew. He can't live without you."

I'm a blubbering mess but my wolf seems somewhat comforted by his words. She whines in my head. Tyler wraps me into a tight side hug. His lips kissing the top of my head—like he's grateful to have found me but also happy to comfort me. "You're my best friend, Mia. If I believed for a second that Matthew didn't have an everlasting love for you, then I would help you run away right now, and I would make sure that you're somewhere safe. I promised to protect you. You. You're my Luna."

My shoulders sag down. One day away from the Valley and I already feel like an outcast. I feel like I have no place. Even the brand on my wrist only shows me that the land of the Scholars is my home. I can almost feel Matthew's light kiss on my wrist before he branded me as one of his pack.

"You need to come back." Tyler says again, "Matthew won't be able to survive you not being with him. I know he was devastated when Lila left. But if you leave? He and the pack don't stand a chance. We need you."

My wolf seems to calm down. Her emotions reining in. Our doubts still lingering in my mind. I sniffle, "Do you really think he wants me more than her? Loves me more?"

"Oh Holms," Tyler pulls away to look at my face. He's so sincere it almost hurts. "Your love with Matthew is so pure. It's nothing like we've ever seen. We all can't believe you're not mates. I hope that whatever magic you both share is something I'll have with my mate when I find her."

Tyler wipes away some of the stray tears that have fallen on my cheek. A wave of realization comes crashing down. If what he says is true, then I don't think I could live without Matthew either. Matthew has never lied to me. He's always cared and loved me. Seeing Lila made the realization of a rejection come to life and my fear grasped me so tightly I can't believe I ran.

I stare at Tyler, the pit of my stomach sinking. In a small voice I manage, "Can we go home?"

Tyler nods, sighing out in relief. His eyes pool in small tears as he presses another kiss on the top of my head. "Of course, Luna."

Tyler helps me stand, his eyes never once faltering from my face. "Stay close to me," He says before shifting. I follow suit, staying by his side. His mind link knocking in my head.

Hey Holms, he says.

Yes, Tyler?

Please don't tell the Alpha that we sat on the forest floor naked together. He'll legitimately kill me. For the first time in almost two days, I manage to let out a laugh. Tyler's stare suddenly scolding me but a tinge of relief flooding his body. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.4K 272 24
"Give me two hours of your time every day until spring, and if by then you still don't agree to have sex with me... I'll grant you twenty-four hours...
25.7K 295 5
Mature Scenes from "Chasing Her" Please follow if you are going to read these.
1.9M 73.5K 84
Over one hundred years ago, the supernatural came out of hiding. A Great War ensued, causing the human race to fall to the bottom of the food chain a...
2.1M 43.9K 37
Samantha Carter had a huge crush on Lloyd Crawford, the next in line as Alpha of the Crescent Wolf Pack. Who wouldn't fall to this gorgeous looking g...