Future is Soon

By lifeless_fan

The 50 year mark of daily fights between red and blu is marked by the sudden vanish of blu...after time passe... More

heads up
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8(not 100% necesery)
9
10
11(filler)
12(filler)
13(filler)
14(filler)
15
QnA
16(filler)
17(filler)
18(filler)
20
21
22(filler)

19

54 1 0
By lifeless_fan

Holy shit was medic bored, wandering for the past god knows how long, he had been so uncharacteristically calm...He had bursts of anger but it was met with minimal resistance...And he dropped his anger real quick.

It just didn't feel the same anymore, after the work at Tallon, he had become so soft...

To be honest, the entire new world had made him soft, he wanted to master science, to push everything forward, and re-introduce amazing inventions...

But his high and ended, he no longer felt the need to do anything more than basics. Lounging around in his room and reading up the occasion books or playing with Archimedes.

His fighting team would usually be there to push him, make him work because who else would? They would commit the dumbest stuff and medic was the only one to help them.

Now they were gone, he no longer had anywhere to put his knowledge.

But now with semi-competent staff who knew what they were doing, he didn't find the need to do anything.

One night, he had been messaged by a previous employer.

He always kept past employee and employer numbers, who knew if he would need some advice or a place to crash, so when one had actually texted him instead of the other way round, he was definitely surprised

"We have been in dire need of your servers for the past 3 missions, Moira has been antsy to find someone as deranged as her and she would like to request your presents again at Tallon. If you would be so kind as to start as soon as you're available, I will happily let you in"

Someone actually wanted him back??

And it was the people who he also found a place home with?!

A smile slowly rose from his lips, a once gloomy healer was now pumped, is this what he had been missing? A push by a medical personnel that was just as creative and willing to go haywire as he was?

He wasn't going to pass the opportunity up, it was an amazing chance to get to stick with people similar to him.

-Archimedes! We are back in business!

<time skip>

Happily walking through the town, he passes a familiar shop, nothing much had changed over a couple months but there were slight differences.

Soon enough he ends up at the front doors, and with a bright smile, he claimed up the steps and knocks on the door.

The bag he held had been placed on the floor and after a couple seconds, the pet bird caught up with medic, soon enough flying up to medics' shoulder, nuzzling into the crook of medics' neck in comfort.

Eventually, the doors opened with a frantic woosh and a very familiar face

-medic!!!
-Moira my dear!

As the two embrace in a tight hug the small bird flaps off medics' shoulder for a second, not wanting to be crushed as the second tick by. the two let go of one another and Moira almost drags the poor doctor by the collar into the building

-it has been so dull without you, we need a mission and I don't want to waste any time preparing!
-let me meet the others, I will be at your office in 1 hour alright?
-Oh, yes, can't wait to work with you again

As the girl almost vanishes, the medic lets out a quick breath. It was defiantly nice being back in a nice place but was Moira one, active woman...He may be happy to be back, but let's hope she calms down a bit.

After dragging his stuff to the room he stayed in so long ago, medic quickly wanders over to reapers office, his hands by his side and a steady rhythm emanating from the floor as ripples of sound make a wave in the hallway.

Soon enough he comes across the door he remembered as an office, he knocks and waits.

- come in

The voice gives medic a sense of familiarity, if the entire building hadn't already, and he walks through the doors to meet the ever-present reaper. Legs of course on the table and curtains closed

-so I see you came back
- you asked...
- yes, well anyway, I wanted to ask if you would be able to participate in preparing for a mission, you will be assigned to Moira as usual.
- yes, that is completely fine.
.-then you are dismissed, all previous rules apply.

Medic swivels on his heel and walk out with a fading "thank you" and he walks back to his room to quickly check if he hadn't left anything, then swiftly heads to Moira.

Oh what an exciting couple of days it will be indeed.

<time skip>

Phones may have been special when the red and blu still fought, still in need when asking for help and team messaging a "stuck behind enemy lines, help me out"

But now with the stuff surrounding them, it wasn't that big a deal anymore...they sat around doing everything and only called one another occasionally to check up.

Well walking past a shop for phones and all sorts had made demo stop a second...just to have a look at how huge bricks of devices called "phones" would have changed over 100 years.

Walking into the shop on an early morning stroll on a spare day from work, he had looked around, flicking eyes from wires to boxes with God knows what and tables covered in all sorts of flat metal squares.

As he walks deeper into the building, he just had a glance over everything

- how may I help you?

Almost getting scared out his skin, demo cringed as he impulsively reaches for his launcher, cringing again when he realized he hadn't picked it up in quite a bit.

Taking a breath, demo calms down and looks now with a small smile

- Oh, could you explain this...shop?
-what are you looking for?

Still not knowing what he wants and what this place is, he just hopes he was correct when some of Engis hypotheses came to light in his mind

- a new...phone.
-well we have plenty to pick from

Like spinning a wheel of chance, the hand had fallen into a mercy role, one when he was correct and would be let off the hook from further embarrassment.

As the two walked around, demo had managed to learn a lot more from this one random than from engi...He had always been overcomplicated. granted his voice was usually steady unlike this person, but at least he was understandable with easy words.

Soon enough, without even knowing, he was going home with a new box in his hands, one with pretty layering and only once he enters his house did he finally decide to open it, a wave of curiosity taking over his confusion

Getting the lid off, he was met with a leaflet and some flat metal pieces he had seen similar to the ones on the tables at the store...wonder if it was worth it.

<time skip>

The next week passed easily, not having been back at Tallon for the best part of a year, he was surprised at how well he adapted back into the rhythm.

Talking with widow as he had sniper, making remarks and making her smile when others couldn't.

Sombra was spy in disguise, granted the voice was permanent but who was medic to reject a new head in his fridge.

And Moira was like his doppelganger, like red medic when they had the small moments of run-ins during a battle.

Reaper he still couldn't understand, like heavy but actually menacing... it's not like he was out too often anyway, who was he to bother with someone who rarely showed up.

One calm night, he had heard a ring from across the room...

Having disregarded the first as the windows or maybe even Archimedes, he defiantly felt the second one.

Bolting up, he strains his ears, listening closely and soon he hears it again, almost like a buzz

Worming out of bed, medic stalks the room, soon feeling like he is coming closer and taking off some clothing he had laying on a table, only to see his long forgotten phone.

-*oh yea, I still have that thing.*

Yes engi and spy were the only ones with phones but he had gotten one himself, the entire group had they didn't use them much but team sleep was good no matter what.

Picking up the small thing, he flicks it over to see a call coming from a random phone number....did they catch on so quickly?

Grimacing a bit, he answers the call and quite puts it up to his ear.

-hello?
-...medic?

As medics' eyes fall open, he can feel come contract, a familiar voice voicing a familiar name in a familiar way

-demo?

Placing his other hand over his phone he bends down slightly, trying to stabilize himself as he comes to a slight shock.

-its good hearing from you lad
- you to demo, where is this new number tho?
-I got myself a new phone, not intentionally anyway. Though I could bin my other and had to put all my numbers, didn't have a couple and yours was the only one working.

Medic almost smiles, walking back to his bed as the moonlight guides his way to a soft blanket and heavy pillow.

The two talk deep into the night, making remarks and laughing at whatever comes up. Both explain what had been happening and some moments of silence allow thinking.

Soon enough, medics' rough voice becomes almost transparent, down to whispers as he falls into an unwilling dream.

-it's better if I go, can't leave you awake like this
-yes, thanks demo for the talk, talk later my friend?
-later lad.

Dropping himself onto the pillow he attempts to close the call but fails miserably as he closes his eyes for the last time that day, ending up dreaming with black seas of infinity.

<time skip>

Wandering the halls at night wasn't sombras....idea? But she sure as hell felt better when she did, sometimes catching stuff she really shunt have.

Because they were her teammates, she forgave them, she didn't want to feel any different about them just because they held some vibrator in their left drawer.

So walking down the hallway one night, she heard talking...it wasn't anything remotely sexual, so she stepped closer...soon hearing medic talking to...someone...

Instinct kicked in and she inched closer to the same doors, soon remembering the days she had overheard the good Engenier let his heart out one night.

But this time it was just medic...And like before he was comforting someone...this time someone thought a phone...And the voice seemed familiar.

-its alright demo, I am sure soldier is in a good place now, he sure as hell made it clear when he gifted you that badge.

Demo...it was demo.

The same name he remembers being uttered by engi when he and scout had called him.

Suden will forces sombra to move, making her walk back to her room and pull up some tabs...He had heard a bit about the demo and he had sounded like a computer guy...

Maybe it was worth looking into it a bit.

<time skip>

The shop was nice, it seemed to fill in the whole that had been drilled into demos heart, he found comfort in the food made and eventually even was able to make some himself, given the recipe to practice...to hone and master the feeling of true calm.

One day, he had been off again, having another attempt at creating the recipe that had been so graciously passed down like a crown from a queen to her successor.

He had made it before, it wasn't bad. Having gotten pretty good with baking, he was able to make edible and even outright addictive pastries, but they really didn't have the same feeling as the ones made officially.

So sitting down one more time, he got to work, reading carefully and filling the recipe as best he could.

As he got the small things into the oven, he sat down with a cup of tea, waiting for the small bubbles to rise.

And suddenly he heard a ring...

Looking over, the phone he had bought not so long ago was being contacted, a message appearing in his inbox with some random number.

Picking up the now cased and screen protected phone, he opens the messages, reading over the almost cryptic text.

- *we have come to contact you, we want to offer you a job with us and you seem to fit the criteria best, would you be so kind as to respond when you can start working with us?*

It seemed specific...what did they know about him? He hadn't reviled anything about his past to anyone

But the prospect did interest him, he had heard the stories from medic and the idea of traveling did seem like a good idea...

But he wasn't one for traveling, he preferred to just stay in one place, take a chokepoint, block the enemy, stick to one place until he was needed elsewhere or until he died.

Looking at his phone again, he played around with the idea, going back and forth with himself and debating whether it really was a good idea.

Another message pops up and it's the small push he needs

-*so, you in?*

Typing a quick yes, he drops his phone, hoping the person on the other side gives the information he needed. He had baked goods to get to, hopefully, they weren't gonna burn.

<time skip>

Packing his stuff, he pulls up the information again, out in Italy huh? Well if the person really said it was to be permanent, he was to go through a bunch of paperwork to sell the place and finally finish everything, demo heads out.

The trip is long and winding to Italy, he had to make a lot of guesses and usually, they ended poorly, only ending well once he asked for help or was confident with his pick, and soon enough, he ended up at the doors of the place indicated in the messages.

It was like a huge castle, but of course not a castle, they did need to be obscure after all.

So walking up and hesitating for a second, he doesn't even register his own hand moving for a knock.

Only once the door creeks open, does his worry fade.

-ah, you must be demo, hello. I am sombra, come in.

As the girl smiles and motions demo to come in, the two make small talk, soon enough sombra stops by a door and motions toward it

- This is your room, it's a bit clutered but I am sure you will be fine with it
-really it depends.
-I am sure it does, now, head to reaper and he will task you with something, alright?
-will you guide me to this reaper?
-sure.

As Sombra stands outside the door, she waits for the realization to set in for demo. when he exists, he doesn't know, it will set in eventually, sombra thinks.

As demo enters, he sees the packed room and he is surprisingly fine with it, is comforting because of the familiarity.

Not taking note as to why, he just drops his stuff on the empty bed and walls back out, meeting up with Sombra who leads him to reapers.

As the duo soon spear at his door, they knock like usual, eventually being let in.

Just like with medic, they have a chat, a quick rundown of the rules that are all agreed on.

There is an unknown tension in the air, something is making everyone tense but at the same time they don't know what it is.

Soon enough the "meeting" ends and demo has been given his task.

He is to make explosives, basically become a true demoman again...to load up his launchers and to prepare for the next fight.

Demo agrees and heads of to a spare workshop, going to grab his launchers before going to grab everything else needed.

The day passed ok, demo picks up a bit of drinking again to help him create bombs, medic wanders around and helps the others

For medic, it's a different story...He passes one of the worships and he takes a breath, an amazing smell somehow calms medic from his unknown high, taking a couple of deep breaths, he passes before the small is back to its musty stench...it was a nice couple seconds.

Eventually, medics retires to his room, entering with some papers framed against his chest for him to analyze and finalize.

He had become basically the assistant to Moira, a competent one, and apart from helping with experiments, he also had to help with filing paperwork...something he was more than used to.

Entering the room he called his own. He saw the extra stuff on the other bed.

Having been suddenly introduced to engi, he had now left the bed empty whenever he was coming over, willing to allow the second surprised guests to not feel like they didn't have a place.

But seeing familiar clothing definitely made medic falter a bit.

If it really was demo then the next mission would undoubtedly fly over nicely.

Quickly setting everything up, medic feeds Archimedes, waiting for the black Scottish Cyclops to arrive so he can hug him, give a warm welcome.

But after trying to stay awake for the better part of the afternoon, and still with no demo busting down the doors with an "ey medic!". He grows a bit worried, even if he knows demo will be fine in any case.

So getting up, he walks to the door. holding his hand over the handle, medic looks back and with Archimedes looking up for a second, he takes the slight head movement as an invitation.

Flapping over, The two leave the room, on the search for a teammate.

Each step is quiet, looking around every corner, the two pass hallway after hallway until they decide to make a turn then it's back to walking and making more turns.

Eventually, Archimedes flies off and medic almost tunnel visions his bird. Following the thing with his eyes and through hallways too.

Eventually, he smells the familiar smell again, and without realizing he rushes over to the door he remembers passing when it hit the brain the hardest.

entering the door, he flicks the lights on and smiles as he relaxes.

Demo sits there, a leg on the table and a bottle in his hands, heads backward almost off the chair and his shoes move his chest slowly.

A couple of bombs pile on the table, sticking together as they had so long ago, and even more are in crates on the floor.

Stepping closer, he takes the stuff from the man's hands before he moves both his hands underneath demo. one under his legs and the other to support the rest of the body.

Now with a sleepy demo in his hands, he walks all the way back to the shared room, sometimes Archimedes helps by leading the way or even attempting to open doors with its body, but overall, medics gets through the hallway and to the room, placing the man onto the bed and covering half of him with a blanket so he isn't hot.

Getting ready himself, medic eventually also passes out on his bed.

The next morning, demo is the first up, he had been shaken awake from a dream, the good old fashion falling into the abys.

Almost jumping slightly, he is wide awake and assessing his surrounding, his breath slowly slowing as he realized he is in no immediate danger...reaching for a bottle he always held on hand, he attempts to grasp it.

Not immediately feeling it, he goes a bit farther, and soon enough he stretches his hand to a suspicious degree. Looking down to where he is reaching, he is surprised to see nothing
...
And then he falls

Losing his balance on the bed, he tips too far and ends up falling to the floor, his metallic accessories making an immediate sound with the plastic wood like flooring.

This doesn't bode well with demo and a released headache comes spiraling forward.

But another sound makes demo almost look up, sadly with the bed in the way, so he just smacks his head against the floor in a painful attempt to stop the headache and show his anger.

the shuffling of a blanket doesn't go unnoticed but he doesn't take action, only coming to his senses when he hears a crisp and clear voice.

-demo?

Scrambling his way to his feet, demo ends up still sitting on the floor but with his body straight and holding onto the bad for support

And in all his glory, the doctor sits there, hair slightly disheveled and with no glasses, just kinda smiling.

He had seen the doctor enough to take this first interaction as a normal day.

Closing his eyes, he half grins and half smiles.

-hai doc, how are ye?
-i am good, what about yourself, you seem to be having a hangover.

With a slight giggle, medic takes that as confirmation, taking immediate action to get out of bed to grab his cure-all, administer it to demo so he can calm down and work reliably today.

Soon enough, demo is back on his feet and the two embrace, coming to terms of their crossed paths and willing to make as much progress before they inevitably split again

The day itself is fine, until reaper comes to check on demo.

Then the tension spikes and reaper almost shoots the pirate look alike.

Dropping one of the bombs, reaper flings himself toward demo

-I thought I knew that voice from somewhere!!
-what do you mean lad?!
- you attempted to blow me up when we were taking over the house!

....

-ohhh....yea.
-demo!!
-what?!?! I was asked to protect, I did!
- I thought it was just engi?
-oh no, we all shot, all protected it like we knew best

As reaper holds an almost fearless demo by the collar, demo and medic make conversation like normal

- didn't Winston say anything about not shooting?
-NO! he just told us to protect the house, how were we supposed to know not to shoot?
-....fair, I would have too to be honest.
-I should eliminate you just for knowing you attacked me

As demo looks back towards reaper, there is a cold rush through demo that makes reaper almost grin

-look lad, I didn't know, we are all hired mercenaries and we all complete the mission given and I am sorry ours just so happen to be "protect a house against violent personel"
-he is correct, I have been bouncing around to compensate for the lack of familiarity. As someone being here more than once, I think you might want to listen when I say my.... team... are headstrong and follow rules to the letter.
-*why did you say team in a weird way*
-*talk about that later*

The two members of blu look at reaper expectingly and eventually, he drops demo. Losing his balance for a second, he grabs for medic who appeared next to him when reaper dropped him, stealing the man and looking him over for potential brides.

-don't get in my way.
-never were but alright

The rest of the day was nice, reaper was out the way like usual and the others were none the wiser to the conflict between the new guy and the boss.

The night comes quickly and with some quick food, the duo say Good night and head to bed.

The night is spent not sleeping, the two talk like mad and even look through numbers, demo handing some over for medic so he can contact them if need be. Demo did warm that maybe half if they were wrong and at least one was produced from a random number generator but medic had said it was fine, "the more the merrier"

As the duo head to bed, medic almost immediately passes out, however demo for some reason can't...something was bugging him.

-medic?
-yes?
-...why did you say...team weirdly?

Almost like being shot out of bed, medic is back against the wall and looking at demo.

-demo...
-do you not see us as a team anymore?
-...

A silence spreads over the room before medic goes into a rant, demo listens intently.

-I saw them as a team. We worked together for 50 years and it was amazing...However now we are no longer together, we do nothing together apart from the vocational call or even news flash. That's not a team anymore, that's "long lost friends" maybe even strangers like with spy...A team was gone the moment you guys started going against the group ideology. Do you not feel alone? They aren't here anymore, that's not a team.

Laying medics words sink in, demo has a think...

I guess it was true...soldier didn't really act like the lovable friend anymore... defiantly more like a long-lost friend. With soldier leaving soon after once he got what he wanted.

- yea....your right...
-I am sorry if I may have hurt you but it's true...heh, I don't have guinea pigs anymore, not much of a team when you don't have regular patients.

There is a laugh in his voice, making a remark and bringing memories back of funny interactions while medic had let all his emotions into the open

- hehe, you have a point lad....good night tho, we have a day tomorrow.
-yes...your tight, goodnight.

Finally, do both sides fall asleep, and in need was the next day an event.

With every interaction, the days pass. days to weeks and soon enough a month.

The duo end up getting into a groove and become their past almost, their interactions familiar and even if others raised eyebrow, it's like a normal ceasefire for the blu duo.

One day, reaper calls for both into his office.

He doesn't usually, if at all, do that...and even being killers, home how nether can stop a ripple or worry down their spine...had they don't something wrong?

Walking in, both take a seat, both wait for the dark death lookalike to speak and voice his complaint, to be kicked out or god knows what else...both still hadn't forgotten about the vague threat only a day into demos arrival.

- I have called you both here to discuss something...
-what did you have in mind?
- you both have been super helpfull the past weeks, tour servers have been invaluable and you both seem like competent people

Subcontusly both snicker at the remark...yea right, competent...

I mean compared to the others, they were differently average, some were lower while one or two were a smidge higher.

- and so I have a proposition. The two of you become members of the Tallon force, become one with management and our helpers.

Now, this makes everyone's heads turn.

With so much being threatened and having almost been killed, to the disdain of the medic, it was defiantly shocking to hear somehow actually interested to use them again. To use seasoned veterans and people with a strong will and even stronger guns.

- what do you say?
-how long and what would it entail
- you can't be serious doc!

Just like with the moments reaper had held demo by a thread, dangling his life over a pit of spikes, the two mercenaries make quick conversation.

- I have been looking for another job sommelier to my mercenary days demoman, I have been silenced in this new world and I no longer want to be oppressed just by my want to further the medical field...I want to fight again. It should also be in your best interest demo because it can give you potential no other job could possibly.

Reaper hadn't even been part of the group, and even he was convinced...Looking at demo expectingly, almost wanting to encourage him to join even if it was his own team.

But demo had grown a bit of resistance, the ability to think and without the medics' control...the doc was just a different look on things for him...but he still had his own idea.

-I don't know doc, we were silent back in the war enough to be deemed insane...is it worth going back to animals?
- to swim, you need to reach the floor, you can't go into a new world and not survive if you don't even have a known waking rhythm. as a medical professional, I would strongly recommend you at least stick around to find out what they do, stability is always better than uncertainty

...

-I see your point doc...

Looking up at reaper, death almost shudders with how determined he looks

-I will accept, but only if I have a way out. I do not want to be strapped down like during the war.
-alright, that can arrange something. Now...medic....what would you like to know?

<time skip>

Taking out their old uniforms, they set both beside one another...

-so, you ready?
-...yes

Looking over, a small smile spreads on his face before

- team?

...

- yes, a team my friend

*high five*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79.7K 1.7K 31
This is the story of what happens after blood in the water. (a tf2 comic) The classics mercenaries had captured the Red team and the reader. conflict...
204K 7.2K 109
You were recruited to join the RED Team, and you agreed spontaneously. Was this a bad decision? Probably. Did you regret it? No. However, trying to n...
2.1K 120 28
Everyone sees me as a kind, smart, shy man. They think I'm pure. They think I'm good. They have no idea who I am. They want what they see, not whats...
2.3K 55 7
Although Tf2 fandom is slowly approaching the end of it's existence, mainly by the creators who do nothing with the game, I still want to give someth...