Future is Soon

Av lifeless_fan

The 50 year mark of daily fights between red and blu is marked by the sudden vanish of blu...after time passe... Mer

heads up
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8(not 100% necesery)
9
10
12(filler)
13(filler)
14(filler)
15
QnA
16(filler)
17(filler)
18(filler)
19
20
21
22(filler)

11(filler)

49 1 0
Av lifeless_fan

(Red soldier and blue demo were friends...I am switching them so it fits the story better)

Having spent most of his time in a small shop and passing coffee around like it was water, he had wanted a change of pace

One morning he had woken to engis morning cooking.

A drawback to being on the bottom floor was always hearing what was happening.

Growling but finally crawling out of bed, he gets dressed in some jeans and a woollen jumper, he had dropped his beanie and was now rocking his hair nice and loose sometimes ting it up with a small band if it got in his mouth too much

Getting some proper socks on, he walks out to the kitchen to see Engi.

He had normal sweatpants on and a T, he was usually warm during the morning, actively moving to set food and god knows what sort of cleaning, by mid-day, he would have a coat on to try and stay warm due to his lack of movement.

Waving to Engi as he approached, Engi looks over and smiles...soon looking back to the food and talking as demo sat down.

-I made breakfast. I have plans for dinner so it shouldn't be a problem.
-should I get scout?
-na, he got home late last night. He needs the rest

Setting some food onto a plate he had pulled from a cupboard, he quickly drops it onto the table with a fork and knife, reaching for some bread and also dropping one on the plate.

-it's not a lot but it should get you enough energy for today.
-thanks dell, you always made the best food, no matter where and when.
-how could I not? The team needs to be well-fed to do their best in battle.
- true.

Setting down his own plate, Engi also takes a seat at the table and starts slowly munching on the food as the two make idle chatter.

The occasional laugh echo through the halls and ring in scouts head, acting like an alarm and in no time he is totally waking up and crawling deeper into his sheets, trying to shield himself from the sun and sudden noise.

The wafting smell of something delicious makes his stomach gurgle and he wraps himself deeper to try and stop the sudden pain, it doesn't end well and with the memory of not having eaten last night, he finally rolls out onto the floor onto his but and slightly rubs his eyes.

-*ugh, thanks Engi. Your food better be good to wake me up from such a peaceful sleep*

Siting up and grabbing whatever was thrown on the chair, he quickly gets dressed in shorts and a rock band T, before hopping down the steps to be greeted with demo by the doors and Engi cleaning the dishes.

-did I miss something?

The doors shut as scout finally walks into the kitchen

-nothing much, just me and demo talking before he heads for work.
-alright...I smelt something amazing...you got food?
- yea, you can take whatever you want. I will be picking up food for tonight.
-alright. Thanks, hard hat.

Even if the team no longer wore any of the extra accessories, they were still used as a form of identification.

Nodding, Engi heads up to his room for the daily dose of tinkering, leaving scout to his own free will and hunger.

Demo slings the bag over his shoulders before walking down the road to his small workplace. He had been wanting to switch something up lately in his life but something was preventing him from.

He was happy with his situation...he just felt that something needed to change.

The lack of alcohol had to be getting to him, he had become less reliant on his senses recently.

His sleep was more peaceful and fulfilling...making him want to sleep more and giving him a sense of sluggishness, it's defiantly better than waking up hungover and not being able to express that he needed the medics hangover fixer Juice, but it defiantly wasn't as ideal as his after drinking clarity.

He had been on the rocks about going back to drinking or not...he had already tasted the fresh air to know he wanted more, not the constant pain of hangovers and smashed bottles but he also didn't want to feel like he could fall asleep at any moment...

Not like he could, some things needed full attention which he was more willing to give but something like just walking down the street for his work had ended with him almost sleepwalking to work, waking when he was ready to enter the cafe and start his shift.

Today didn't look like it would end like that, but he was dam near close to falling asleep out on the street.

Entering the cafe, he pulls the same smile he always had, greeting the others in the small building and saying hi to the people behind the counter.

Finally getting ready, he walks out and starts his shift, taking orders, registering and giving them over to people at tables or takeaway if need be

The day itself was fairly slow, but he didn't mind, a lot of his friends were here, the occasional time someone spoke out about something, the entire staff would get in on it in hopes of starting chats and filling in the almost dead silents that were wavering with the slow music in the background.

He was the only guy along with another but the other was so gay, he had a more feminine look...

He didn't fit that well...but enough to keep his social status above "guy who came in to fill the time"

He did sometimes try to make talk and actually suggest what guy's problems equated too but they never ended well bc he didn't know...he was gone for 100 years, the others didn't know that but his reasoning was really old-school.

He did eventually become a small part of his works staff team but it was enough to not get thrown under the bus out of panic or something.

Calling Engi up during lunch, he happily listened and talked with the mechanic. His loving words brought light to an almost pitch-black room in his mind

the engineer had been running low. On will and experiments. No one had taken him yet and he was to stay here longer until someone picked him up or he would die of boredom.

But like always, the demo stayed by his side...even if it was through a screen.

After quite some time, sitting and chatting, another staff member had come out to smoke and demo hadn't spotted them.

Sitting and talking to Engi like a friend would with great care, the idle chatter had filled in the silence while the girl smoked.

By the end, the girl had finally finished and tapped demos shoulder, telling him to come back inside.

-it's gotten a lot busier lately.
- Ok, be right there. Sorry Engi. I need to go
-no problem. Have fun

Turning the phone off, demo stands up and heads in with the girl.

-you two seem close.
- he is a dear friend of mine...I work so far from home I usually get home late.
-there is a bar down the road you know. It's in dire need of staff lately. A lot of fighters have been returning home from the recent omic crises and have been drinking their sorrows away.
-really?
- Yea
- Ok...I will keep that in mind.

The rest of the day was slightly faster than the mornings.

Many had been coming for their mid-day caffeine high and so the staff had to speed up a bit. Soon enough tho, the last person had been given their drink and it was time for closing.

Demo clocks out last as he had been asked to clean. Soon heading out and locking the door with the spare key he had on hand.

On his way home he had actually passed that bar the co-worker had mentioned...after standing by the door for a second and even being pushed aside for someone to enter...he finally takes a breath and enters.

It was late, the sun was setting and the lights were slowly turning on and giving a new look to the streets, and the bar had just been activated and given a new spark of life.

The lights now shone to a black background, a lot more people than even the cafe had during peak times had been huddled around tables and the loud booming of speakers in a tucked corner had strained one of demos eardrums.

Looking around, he sees a lot of unfamiliar but also barely recognisable people.

One he definitely does recognises but opts to say nothing...he isn't at the cafe anymore...also doubt he would remember demo.

deciding to stay for a bit longer, demo wanders around enough to find a seat, soon sitting down and already feeling a rush of alcohol with no input.

Maybe it wasn't alcohol but sleep? He had been on his feet most of the day.

But before he can decide what truly was with him, a waiter came over, smiling and short skirt with a tucked-in button-up. Her lipstick clean and eyelashes fairly big.

-hello, what can I get you?
-you got any of 3X moonshine?
-no, we may have every drink but nothing that old
- ugh...wats the strongest stuff you got?
-we have devil's spirit vodka?
- abv?
-80.
-perfect, 2 bottles.

Looking back down to the table to examine the carefully formed wood, he doesn't realise the girl hadn't left...she had actually been shocked to do anything, but she soon pulls up the courage to speak

- you know we can't give out strong drinks...by the bottle.
-whatever is by the rules...just enough to equate to two bottles.
-..alright...

The girl finally leaves and demo is left alone, the loud banging of the music and constant bustling of the people had worn off him and he soon starts closing his eyes more and more...

Vivid images of fights and explosions had made him smile slightly as he rested his arms and head on the table.

A sudden repetitive reverberation of the wood had pulled demo out his small world for him to groggily wake up and look around like he was still in the base with scout waking him up for a talk of some kind.

Instead, he woke up to see an old grizzled man. He had a...thing over his eyes and his beard seemed to have grown on him quite a lot.

-I saw you a couple of times at the overwatch HQ...who are you.

Looking at the man in blue and slight white, demo huffs and starts talking...

He was waiting for his drinks and he needed to stay awake enough to drink, go home, eat and then head to bed.

- names Tarvish. demolition expert.
-...have you lost someone close?
-I am not drunk enough for that...

As the duo keep talking, soon the staff bring around an entire tray of shots, each one filled the same with a clear liquid.

- uhh, devil's spirit vodka...two bottles...
-thanks lassie.

As the member drops them all on the table and leaves with a crooked smile and a wired wiggled in her step, demo picks up the first shot and downed it.

Almost not affected by it, he sighed and dropped his head on the table, hands cushioning the bang enough to act like a pillow.

-two bottles...of the strongest drink?
-I drank stronger stuff when I still worked for BLU...

The night drags on and on, soon 76 and demo get into sensitive questions and leek their personal life to one another...the alcohol loosening their tongues enough to let a portion of themself fall into the table

- I had a friend...his on field name was soldier...god he was such an amazing guy...I was pitted against him and he ended up winning. I was happy he got to hold the high ground but I was sad when he no longer talked to me.
- I had a friend too...he was dear to me too but he had gone against overwatch...Now he is a big bad and we often fight.
- at least he is still alive...I am alone with no one apart from Engineer and scout...the others have left and I no longer have anything other than memories and a drink.

Downing the final shot glass...demo gets up.

-I am sorry...I need to go. It's late and the others must be worried about me.
- who am I to stop you. I should go too.

As the two say Goodbye to one another, they split ways and head their respective ways.

The walk home for demo was cold. It really was late and now thinking about it, the others would most likely be asleep.

But not bothering with that, he soon digs out the keys for the front door and opens them quietly.

Stumbling to the flat doors, he takes a quick breather and walks in...

As expected the lights are off and he closes the door quietly behind him, dropping his shoes and coat, he walks to his room and drops on the bed

The once warm spot alongside a friend is cold...the warmth sucked out and now bitter from the once comforted bed.

But with a blanket and radiator, demo soon feels a flood of something nice wash through him...throwing him into a slumber almost no other human connection could give. One of alcohol.

The next morning he luckily had free, he woke up quite late and by the sound of the doors getting almost busted down.

-huh?-
-demo!!

Engineers' voice crisp in the float of nothing had struck hard. He groggily wakes up to see Engi sigh in relief and walk up to him to basically check up on him like medic or even soldier would when he had a rough battle and subsequent drinking sesh.

-I see you have gotten into drinking again.
-ay.
- you got a free day?
-ay
-alright then, come for breakfast, you can go drinking again after your mind is clear.
- thanks mate.

Walking out to the kitchen, demo spots the set table and smiles as the two sit down alongside an excited scout and dig into their food.

-you got a free day today to scout?
-yes sir!! I am totally going to town today, I saw something cool last time.
-have at it lad.

The first part of the day is quite ok, the trio chill by the TV and watches the occasional show or something. Soon scout gets up and heads out for a shopping spree.

Demo stays with Engi a bit longer and after an hour, decides he needs another drink...the taste is in his mouth after quite some time of dry spells.

-I will be heading off for drinks.
-call me if you need a pickup
-alright lad

Quickly getting into some more comfortable clothes, he waves Engi goodbye before leaving off to the bar.

It's defiantly closer than the cafe and after thinking a bit, he decided to ask if he can join...that's till later, for now, he has some money to spend on a high.

Sitting at the same table as he had last night, he asks for the same thing...and surprisingly, they actually give him a bottle...

Thing is it's just one...and a shot glass...

-where is my other bottle.
- we aren't allowed to hand out multiple.
-...alright.

Of course not even touching the shot glass, demo grabs the bottle and downs a good portion...soon relaxing as the cool liquid spreads in his body.

Sitting there and wondering about everything...he has a moment to himself and a fuzzy mind.

Taking his phone out, he finds an old photo of him and soldier.

The photo looked scuffed but it was enough to shine with contentment and happiness...a feeling of true love for friends.

Now with the RED gone, he doesn't know where his friend has gone.

The moment is broken by another tapping on the table.

His head wasn't on the table and it had been on to the side this time. So he looks over and a lot more smoothly.

- are you tarvish?
- ay, and who am I speaking to?
-I am one of the staff here and I had a text from a friend saying you would like to work here.
-ah...true.
-well we are understaffed, would you like to join tomorrow?
-sure...anything I need to know?
-nothing other than no drinking on the job.
-alright.

The girl leaves and soon comes back with a card.

- there will usually be rather late-nighters or early birds, so the doors are never locked. Just scan and come in
- thanks lassie.

Being left alone once again, he takes another swig front the bottle.

<time skip>

-you called?

Walking up to demomans table, Engi and scout look over to demo and raise an eyebrow

- No, I did

Looking to the other side of the booth, a man with a visor and beard had been sitting and spinning the phone on opposite corners strategically, not allowing it to fall.

-he had explained a lot and then told me to text you if anything happens...so I did when he passed out.
-that is much appreciated sir.

Engineer smiles as scout walked over to demo and hauls him up...or at least tries to.

- need help, kid?
-I am not a kid thank you very much, I-
- yes that would be appreciated, he is deadweight when he is drunk, and it's usually heavy would carry him.
- No problem helping a friend out.

The trio all carry the Scottish Cyclops home and thank the man again. in return, he asked nothing and left into the night. Scout and Engi were sceptical at first but the only one who knew everyone was spy...and even if Engi could call him up and go "you know him", god knows where he could be now and what he was doing.

But now, it was important to get the drunk guy to bed, and so that's what they did.

With only a couple hours of sunlight left and demo most likely being out until the middle of the night, Engi and scout decided to head for the shops to buy something in terms of food...

The next 2h were spent wandering the shops with a basket and a couple of bills.

Coming home, the duo talked up jokes and all sorts of stuff happening to them. they watched TV while waiting and then sat and talked when Engi had to do something.

Soon the food is set and the lot head to bed, now being already dark with nothing more than the kitchen lights.

The next day demo is already gone. Engi and scout wake up at roughly the same time and eventually shrug when they can't find him

Demo had woken up and eaten something before heading to the cafe, he had to tell them he was no longer working and he was going to make it quick.

After an obviously fake teary goodbye, he leaves for the bar, not to drink...but to actually clock in.

The day went smoothly, demo met some of the staff and got to know the "regulars" he did feel much more at home because he knew how to talk with drunkies, being a drunkie himself. Able to sort it out without much issue.

He was able to get home earlier than he did at the cafe and not having to clean the entire place all at one time, he was a lot less under pressure than he usually was.

For now, he would stay there...maybe travelling wouldn't be that bad?

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

79.7K 1.7K 31
This is the story of what happens after blood in the water. (a tf2 comic) The classics mercenaries had captured the Red team and the reader. conflict...
181K 4.2K 21
You've lived with the mercenaries for 5 years now. Everything seems normal. Until one day, everyone was acting weird. What was it? What's with this...
3.9K 141 15
[ Location : New Mexico; Teufort City ] Muffled screams could be heard from a mile away. Clacking of feet trailed behind the panic. "Get that bloody...
204K 7.2K 109
You were recruited to join the RED Team, and you agreed spontaneously. Was this a bad decision? Probably. Did you regret it? No. However, trying to n...