Future is Soon

By lifeless_fan

The 50 year mark of daily fights between red and blu is marked by the sudden vanish of blu...after time passe... More

heads up
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8(not 100% necesery)
9
10
11(filler)
13(filler)
14(filler)
15
QnA
16(filler)
17(filler)
18(filler)
19
20
21
22(filler)

12(filler)

52 1 0
By lifeless_fan

Having finished a pretty pesky contract, he walks into his room and falls onto the bed, breathing a heavy breath and almost falling asleep.

Archimedes knows he won't do anything tomorrow because of his tired state of mind so flapping up to medics' face and practically slapping him awake, he flaps to the computer and pecks at it.

...

- fine...at least I don't have to do it later.

shimming over to the edge of the bed, he opens the laptop and starts doing his usual. putting up his credentials, selling himself to people with a good price and then working with them for however long they think is fitting.

After putting up the digital text on an internet-wide bulletin board, he closes the laptop and rolls over back into his bed...

Hopefully something interesting will happen and soon...maybe yellow can come over again

Browsing the internet for something special, Sombra comes across a new post...it's fairly unworthy but the doctor strikes her as familiar, she has seen this guy 10 times in the past month and finally deciding to have a closer look, she finally reads what there is to know.

And wow is the information explicit...

A more brutal Moira if you will, a killer at heart who is just trying to make ends meat with whoever is buying his service...

...Moira did say she needed a lab partner...you don't come across manic people often and we are having a mission soon which requires a lot of preparation...

Deciding to bring this up with reaper, Sombra takes the file and sends it over, hoping tonight was boring enough for him to have a look at his messages.

And luckily he does.

Reading over and just seeing the crazy doctor personality radiating of him...reaper messenger the "medic". A quick sentence saying his first opinion and the absolute satisfaction he would gain from working with a dear sociopathic like him.

- how much, and how long

The next day is empty for medic. the day after his contract is over, he would usually grab some of the money he earned and go shopping.

Today he just felt that something was off...

It had been a couple of months now, he was going country to country, business to business and just abiding by the now completely useless rules that hold back the medical field by a lot.

He was a revolutionary scientist. He disregarded humanity and the ethical look...and truly showed what could be done to help people.

...now the world had gone back to caring...being oh so sensitive of feelings when at no point in time had viruses ever had these feelings...

He was now drained, and with no heavy to replenish his faith in humanity, he was left alone with a small dopamine production of a pet.

And it was starting to go dry...he was losing himself.

Originally, he could go days without leaving his lab unless it was for food or a fight...now he was practically relying on someone who wasn't here...

Luckily, Archimedes was human enough to convince medic to finally get up that morning, pulling himself together and against all odds, he finally rolls out of bed and gets dressed, soon leaving with Archimedes on his shoulder and now with a small flicker of a flame in his soul.

The day had been spent well, medic had gone from store to store looking at the stuff on display and admiring the modern tech.

Talking to the small bird had defiantly turned some heads but at the same time some came up to ask if they could skritch him.

As long as Archimedes was comfortable, medic never denied.

During lunch, the two went and got a small container of bird food and then headed to a cafe, drinking some tea and snacking on a sandwich.

A couple more hours passed with games and arcades, even a friendly chat with someone in the shops and admiration of the medical field.

Finally, with 2 bags, medic walks back to his room and drops his stuff, placing a pile of seeds on the table for Archimedes to feast on.

Stretching and hearing his back crack like a glowstick, he sighs in contentment and looks outside the window...seeing the now slowly setting sun with ever so slight drops appearing...a slight rain.

As he walks to the bed and sits down...a moment of silence with only faint sounds of his team in the back of his mind to fill in the gaps, he picks up the laptop, searching for something only to see a message.

Reading through, he slightly blushes at his recognition...it had only been "you would fit here" for all the messages.

Now he was actually being told that his work was special....he knew it was, but he was even happier to read it.

-*give me a time to start and for how long, I will tell you a doable price.*

Almost immediately, he was hit with a response.

Sending messages back and forth, a rough plan is set out and he finally gets to bed.

He was to start in a week in Italy, their HQ was apparently there and he could join. He could be a part of, from what he searched up on the fly, one of the biggest resistances and what Winston had claimed to be the "big bad"

Oh how he would pull up the middle finger to overwatch..they did not seem to take anything seriously and were chasing a goal considers idealistic and quite frankly unachievable.

He was already buying tickets and he wanted to be early, to show he was ready

Looking at Archimedes sitting at the table he smiles

-I see you are having fun
-*cooooo*
-well guess what, we are going to Italy in 2 days
-*coo*
-Tallon, the major resistance against overwatch

As the two chat up something the rain gets slightly heavier and soon the two fall asleep with the sun below the earth and strong droplets echoing through the building...a calming aura floating to lull them deeper into dreams.

<5-day time skip>

Medic had rented a place for a week for super cheap, he was going to be staying for only 4 days but who knows when he was actually going to be accepted.

Once the start date came round, he walked up to the supposed building's front doors and knocked as loudly as he could, soon the door dose open and a figure in full black had been present behind the door.

- and who are you?
- Medic, the hire
-ahhh, come in then.

Leaving the door open for the man behind him to enter, reaper leaves off to show medic around.

Medic quickly walks in and closes the door behind him, soon following the black figure and listening to his monologue.

- this is our HQ, you will be working with Moira and you will do whatever she asks. The entire building is open to you but whenever you enter a room you must knock. We still need to get used to your presence
- oh, I am used to that. It's alright. Now, where am I staying?
-I will take you to your room.

As he promised, reaper floats off to show medic his way, however, medic was a bit slow...this ended up with him losing his way and ending up in a hallway covered in doors.

-...why did he have to ghost like that. Why couldn't he just show me?
-*cooo*
-huh?

Archimedes had appeared down the hallway and flapped a bit, soon flying off.

Medic smiled and ended up following the speck of white in an otherwise dark hallway, ending up with his small bird standing in front of a door and soon turning to face medic when he heard his footsteps.

- *cooo*
- ah, thank you Archimedes.

Knocking on the door, he doesn't hear anything and soon enters...seeing a beautifully set bed and table, there was another bed on the other side of the room and medic had thrown his stuff on there before dropping onto the other bed.

-*coooo*
-seeds?

lifting himself up, he grabs a bag and quickly rummages through and soon finds the seeds he kept in case he lost his bird.

After giving Archimedes some, he took a quick look at the clock, it was 11 right now and he still had the day ahead, with the starting date being today, he opted to leave the safety of his room to go searching for this...Moira.

-they Archimedes, wanna come with me? I might get lost again...
-*coooo*

The bird finishes his seeds and flaps over to medics' shoulder, soon curling closer to his neck.

- alright then, let a go.

Quickly getting ready, the two head off.

With no indication as to what is where, the duo wander around a lot to find what they want...but soon they find someone, a girl in a skin-tight suit and chilling by the TV.

Of course, he was told to knock and that's what he does.

This alerts the girl and she flicks her head to look the man dead in the eyes.

-who are you?
-new hire, names medic
- ah, so you're the crazy scientist. The one paired with Moira
- yes well could you show me around, reaper had not told me anything.
- alright. Follow me.

The girl gets up and the skin-tight purple is defiantly "skin tight". This girl got all her curves showing.

Slightly irritated, the medic looks of frowning but imminently turned normal as the girl faces him.

-my name is Widowmaker, but you can refer to me as widow.
-thank you widow, I hope to get on well.
-likewise.

As widow walks off, medic follows and the two make a massive circle round the building.

3 floors, a living room and oh so many dark colours.

widow had even managed to show around the others, the first was Sombra, her room was about as you would expect from a hacker, and she was super happy, even mentioning his impressive resume.

The next was reaper, widow had a slight go at him for not showing the new guy around but he was surprised to know medic even got to his room. Of course, he didn't say anything.

Finally, she showed Moira's spot...I mean...part of the castle.

From widow's words, Moira had requested an entire hallway be cleaned and transformed into her medical quarters.

That hallway was not short and was the second biggest. But with Archimedes' help, medic was confident enough to know his way around.

After showing her to Moira, widow left back to the TV and wished luck to medic

- ah, you must be medic?
- yes, that is me.
-I must say, I was impressed by your accomplishments...what else?
- what do you mean?
-there were gaps in your explanation...what else did you do?

Having a moment to think...he decides on an alternative.

- I would need Engineer for that...he knows better than me.
- what?
- anyway, what would you like me to do?

As Archimedes flies off medic's shoulder and to the ceiling covered with ledges of pipes and wires, Moira and medic smile...a feeling of their souls finally complete.

Engi had been slowing down lately...he had his passion and capabilities on the world wide web but not a single person had even asked him for details...he had been completely forgotten.

Laying more in bed than he usually would, he lets his eyes rest and he sleeps for most of the day.

He already learnt a lot from the latest tech, updating his text with what he knew and how well he knew it but it just seemed more people were more experienced than him.

Until he heard a ping on the other side of the room.

With eyes opening like a flash, he takes a second before flinging up in bed and looking at the partially open computer

Taking a moment, he finally flings the blanket off him and walks over to the table and sits down, opening the laptop and finally going to the notification that had triggered the ping.

Soon seeing someone finally respond to his credentials...and not just a one-word comment but a directed message of someone wanting to see him...place him on board with a mission they are having soon.

Finally being pumped with life, he responds quickly and professionally, smiling to himself and calling demo and scout about the situation.

They respond imminently and with cheers!! Telling him to pack essentials and be there on time.

And he does just that.

The next week is a blur as he finds a place to stay and only walks up to the building he had been told to at the correct time.

Knocking he is met with a familiar figure...a really...unfortunately...familiar figure.

The girlish scream to follow and slight tears make reaper and widow appear in seconds, ending with Sombra disappearing and being met with a side glance from the two who were there.

-...and you are?
- Ummm, Engi...the new hire.
- ah, ok...come in.

He was told of their occupation and name but he had chalked it up to coincidence...now seeing the faces, he tried to hold his shaking...trying to keep as professional and fearless as possible.

Being taken around and shown a bit better than medic had before...he is taken to a room...already in use.

-do I not get an empty room?
-not when the two of you are well acquainted, we will talk more tomorrow.

Looking around the room, he spots one thing that makes his heart almost jump.

There had been a bag and suitcase on "his" bed and after looking a bit closer and spoting bird seeds and a kritzkrieg, he smiles and knowingly shoves the bags on the floor, and just knowing medic wouldn't mind the slight change.

After relaxing a moment, he finally decided to get up and at least find medic.

So wandering around he Eventually got to the medical wing and after wandering around silently, he heard voices, a really familiar one and a less known one

Before he was able to knock on the door, however, someone tapped him on the shoulder.

Turning around he spotted the one called widow.

-yes darling?
-please don't call me that. Anyway, medic had told me you know mechanics well, can you check out my gun? It's been acting up.
-of course. Lead the way.

As Engi heads with widow to her room, the two make conversation, being told of the place and what they do.

Soon she finally opens a door and allows Engi in, reaching for her gun and passing it to the man in overalls.

-it's a sniper rifle, and something is just not right with it.
-ok, let me take a look.

The day soon finished and Engi was the first back to his room, soon being followed by the doors being opened and silence as medic looks over Engi who had been laying on the other bed.

- ah, helo medic, how have you been?
-I didn't think they would actually bring you here.
-huh?

Medic drops his medigun and walks over to Engi and gives him a hug, a deep sense of satisfaction calms medic and he starts relaxing into his hold

Not expecting the sudden relaxation, Engi stumbles a bit before regaining his footing and holding medic up. Soon taking him to his bed and sitting down with him still in his hold.

-its been a while since I have seen anyone from the team...thank you
- No problem medic...happy to help.

As the two get ready for bed and slowly fall asleep in their respective beds, a silence washed over the entire building.

However, one room is bustling...

Sombra and not been seen that day when Engi had arrived, she was too stressed to leave for even food...

Practically pulling her hair out, she mumbles threats and curses, filling the room with a sound only she can hear.

The image of Engi is burnt into her mind and she soon growls, picking up her translocator and dropping it...soon heading for Engies room.

Ready to bust in give him a piece of her mind, she heard voices on the other side of the door and it had forced her to stop.

-Medic? You awake?
-barely, but why are you up?
- just...concerned I guess.
-about what?

Sombra calms down slightly a sense of pride flies over her like a wave...the man who attacked her was concerned...it was a negative feeling and she was feeling happy about it.

-...

rustling soon filled the room and after peeking through a small gap, Sombra sees medic get up and walk to Engie's side, placing a hand on one of Engi's outstretched ones.

- what's wrong?
- it's just I am having second thoughts if I should have even put up my information. If I hadn't I would still be left alone with demo and scout, days passing. But I wouldn't have come here
-...is it about Sombra?

Engi pulls his hand from medics and turns to face away from him, he slightly pulls in his legs and moves the pillow down. Tightening himself to shy away from medic and the problems he has been facing.

- can we talk about something else?

The simple line had caused Sombra's heart to almost break. The simple plea from someone who had harmed her had echoed through her head...a genius feeling of regret but also satisfaction.

- you will need to talk to her...but I mean I like to think my trips are a lot more interesting.
-huh?

Medic soon starts spouting off his first trip. He goes on about his first contract and what he had to do, fills in the blanks and answers Engi's questions.

This had brought the man out of his shell and the two had actually talked deep into the night.

Eventually, Engi falls asleep at the sounds of a familiar voice and once medic realized this, he slowed his voice, smiled and got up.

-good night engineer...you won't regret coming here.

Laying in his own bed, medic also passes out and the two sleep in peace for the rest of the night.

Sombra has a blank moment before subconsciously pressing the button to translocate back to her room, soon dropping onto her bed and looking up at the purple walls and ceiling.

Quickly getting ready, she drops her head on her pillow and falls asleep

The next morning, Engi, medic and widow sit and eat breakfast. Widow had allowed the duo to make whatever they wanted as long as they didn't burn the house down.

When the two had seen the sniper sitting on the couch cross-legged and with a cereal bowl on her legs, intensely watching Tom and Jerry, they had a silent moment but ultimately accepted it...heavy had been lucky to hold onto "Nu Pogodi!" he had been obsessing over, what scout called, a "child's show"

...scout had not been seen for a week after, but that's beside the point...

The duo occasionally look over to watch along with widow but ultimately they leave her to admire the screen in peace after 15min

As the two come to a junction in the hallways, medic waves goodbye

-I need to go to Moira, ask reaper what you will be doing and he will give you something for today or the week.
-...ok...

medic goes off, Engi is left alone for a moment in the hallways, taking a breath, he heads to reapers room...knocking and soon entering.

- what should I do reaper?
-you will be assisting Sombra with the tech...she knows most and you will help her.
-ok, where will we be working?
-go to her room, from there she will explain everything.
-thanks.

Closing the door after himself...he shivers. Time to confront the fears.

Making his way to Sombra's quarters, he has a moment to himself about how he will act and how..."will I solve this problem?"

He starts thinking back...he had started his mercenary job and had talked with every member. He was still shy at the time and with unfamiliar people he still is, but at the time he was able to push past and Eventually get to his first fight in peace.

He had been a quiet part the first time. Always in a corner with a sentry and a teleporter exit close enough to the fight to cut travel time.

The first time he had been sapped, he was a bundle of panic. Trying to fight off the electrical conductor and checking everywhere for anyone who happened to have done that.

After a couple of weeks of spotting the spy, he had finally figured out what had been happening and why. After a week he had finally enough and had stopped his spy walking past in the hallways one night.

-hey spy. Your red version is bothering me...how could I...fight against...you?

The fight had started a month ago, so they were still pretty new, but spy had ushered Engi into his smoking room and had gone into detail about his flaws, talking everything out and how he would solve the problem from his point of view

Next time he was in a fight, he had been a lot less scared. He had actually felt more confident and when he had Eventually gotten his building sapped, he hadn't been as jittery. And with confidence, had gotten his building under check and they had won that game.

He had come back to base and the lot had congratulated him, even spy had given him a smile and nod, the team heading off for drinks. And the night was spent well.

Now he was here...walking down the last hallway and once again feeling the tense muscles he had when he first encounter the red spy...

Just like how he had solved that problem, he hoped he could get on good terms with Sombra...

Forcing his body to listen, he pulled up his hand and knocked, soon stepping back and having a cold shock run over him against all his hopes.

The doors open and a somewhat calm Sombra stands there.

Her face soon turns serious as she spots Engi...He stands there, with a small smile and wave.

When Sombra doesn't move, Engis smile falters, massaging his hand in an attempt to calm himself.

Beyond all odds, he gets his mouth and brain to link and come up with words to say, to express what he is trying to do.

-reaper had called me over as an assistant to help you with tech.

Soon shaking out of her mind, Sombra turns around and motions him in...so that's where he will work with her.

-*ok...no big deal...It's ok*

Walking in, he closes the door after himself, looking around the room that had been splashed with purple.

- you can sit by that table.

As Sombra points to a wooden slab off to the corner, Engi makes his way and sits down, facing the wall as if he was in detention.

-I will pass you something and you will fix it.
- alrighty then.

As Sombra passes something over the two sit in complete silence as they work. Engi would usually like the quiet atmosphere but for some reason, he was feeling too tense to enjoy it...

But after an hour, a buzzing had alerted him.

Completely forgetting about Sombra in the room, he picks up the phone and places it between his ear and shoulder, going back to fidgeting with the small machine he was tasked with fixing.

- yes partner?
-*ay Engi, how you been, it's been a second since we heard from you!*
-*yea it has, how have you been hard hat?*

His back had relaxed at the voices of his teammate. He soon completely forgets of the world around him other than the small thing he held.

Sombra had been sitting and contemplating how to start conversations with Engi...she wanted to talk something out and...like a combo of taking information for blackmail and actually trying to understand him.

But the sudden vibration and even voice of others had caught her off guard.

Opting to drop her attention for a second, she swivels around to Engi who had been sitting on the table off to the side.

She had watched and listened as Engi had talked, his voice had a smooth richness to it. It wasn't hard rock like when he had attacked and not nearly as threatened when he was with her under normal circumstances.

He was calm and confident...

-*team gives him confidence*

The two voices seemed to have differences and names, the one with a high pitch had been called "scout" the other deeper and defiantly Scottish voice and been registered as "demo"

Knowing the names, Sombra notes them before looking back to the engineer who had picked up the machine and admired it, soon carrying on talking while fixing it up.

Somehow, his voice and the almost energetic way the others tell stories or his laughs had calmed Sombra down a lot.

Now the two sit there...Engi talking with Sombra planning.

After some time, the others had to go and Engi was left alone... which he suddenly realised wasn't true...

-oh, sorry Sombra, I didn't mean to disrupt you I just-
-why did you shoot?

Her original sharp voice had calmed. She was a lot more relaxed from his confidence that she didn't see a point in getting mad.

-...would you like the short or long version?
-long.

She needed to know the full extent of his impulses.

-well...It's quite a long story.

~flash back~

Having been quite smart all his life, he had followed engineering like his father, this got him 11 PhDs and a part of the Builders League United.

Having his later battle ended with a lot of confusion, pain and bad relations. He had attempted to solve a lot of his problems...all that ended with was a blown-off arm... soldiers' rockets were painful.

Slowly over time. He had grown a rough shell...

For the first couple of years, he was almost lifeless...He learnt the best of the best and got far carrying the team...

The next couple of years, he had grown soft after a talk with spy about his problems.

Only then, after 20 years had passed of him sticking to one or the other, he had finally learnt how to balance it.

Finally, he learnt to be ruthless on the battlefield, and friendly at the base.

And so, He stuck with that mentality, only building his stuff on the fields, he had learnt to associate danger with the sentry, forcing himself to move faster, react quicker, think clearer and keep his "children" alive longer to win the fight.

So when Winston had asked him to go and fight, he used his sentry as a trigger to make him more ruthless.

~flashback end~

-I was told, and I stuck by It. I am sorry but we were all trained killers so shooting was my best option at the time, to fight against a different form of someone who had caused a lot of issues during my many battles...If we can be friends...I would love to find a lot more from the tech.

Thinking over the entire story and how truly misunderstood he was...

Sombra sits...a heavy weight is taken off when she finally does turn to Engi with a smile.

-yes...we can be friends...I forgive you.
-thanks darling.

A small giggle falls from Sombras lips and the two get back to work, now that table not seeming to be so..."of to the side" as Sombra had first seen it

The mid-day had been spent together, medic had pushed Moira out the room and this had ended with the 4 parts of Tallon to all sit at the table and talk while Engi and medic caught up with what they had been doing on the couch.

Luckily, Engi was able to tell medic of his successful friendship with Sombra and medic had to pat him on the back.

-look at that, I knew you could do it.

Eventually, they all go back to their corners and Eventually, widow comes to Sombra and Engi to help out.

The trio all end up talking about what it was like for them. All sorts of stories are put on the table and each is checked out.

The night soon needs and Engi said goodnight to the duo, ending up in medics' shared room.

And so, that's how the days pass. Sometimes reaper comes around to check up on Moira and Sombra but overall, the two groups are in their small worlds, making what they have been asked to and having a laugh while doing so.

Eventually, after 3 weeks, the major parts are put together and one night, reaper calls both in.

As Engi and medic sit down in front of reaper, they wait in anticipation about what he possibly could have to say.

-I have seen how you interact with my team, and I am happy to say I have not been disappointed. However, the contract is over and I will pay you your amount and you will be free to leave.

Both medic and Engi sigh as they relax slightly.

-when will we get paid?
- in a couple of days...for now, pack your stuff and leave.

As the two get up and leave, they check out the place one last time before packing their stuff and end up at the front door.

Moira passed the front door and sees the two talking up what to do next, she walks up and asks them

-what's going on?
- we are leaving.
-awww, I should tell the others. We can all say bye...it truly was nice to have new people here who didn't fear us.
-it's no problem.
- we only have a couple of hours before we are going to the hotels, be quick.
- alright.

As Moira leaves, she soon comes to the two with widow and Sombra by her side.

-your leaving?
-sorry, yea. The contract is over so we need to go.
-well, it was good having you here
-agreed. Hope to see you again soon.
-byeee

As medic and Engi leave, The two catch up on a lot of the past they had not been together for. ending up at the hotel, Engi had taken out his phone to quickly check on something, Eventually almost dropping it when he feels it vibrate.

Picking it up, he once again answers the call and talks to scout. He said demo was busy and had actually left for now so he was left alone in the house.

Medic had caught up to Engi and asked who it was.

- it's scout, he is still at our old house. wanna talk?

Taking the phone from the engineer's hands, he does just that.

Scout bursts into happy shouts and "digitally" hugs medic, happy to hear from him in quite some time.

As the duo made their way to their room, they ended the call and called it a day...I mean after so much, a well-deserved rest was an order.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1K 275 15
This job was starting to wear on you, being a Pyro you loved it so much, but when you forgot your medications, this job.. got insane very quickly and...
205K 7.2K 109
You were recruited to join the RED Team, and you agreed spontaneously. Was this a bad decision? Probably. Did you regret it? No. However, trying to n...
35.7K 882 39
Complete. (Female child). You're parents never stopped arguing. A father who cheated and drank 24/7 and a mother who couldn't take a day off. You're...
3.9K 141 15
[ Location : New Mexico; Teufort City ] Muffled screams could be heard from a mile away. Clacking of feet trailed behind the panic. "Get that bloody...