Future is Soon

By lifeless_fan

The 50 year mark of daily fights between red and blu is marked by the sudden vanish of blu...after time passe... More

heads up
1
3
4
5
6
7
8(not 100% necesery)
9
10
11(filler)
12(filler)
13(filler)
14(filler)
15
QnA
16(filler)
17(filler)
18(filler)
19
20
21
22(filler)

2

96 4 4
By lifeless_fan

Rapid footsteps echo through the dark building. After hearing the call, he didn't even think twice before getting up and running.

The hallways were already burned into his mind so no amount of darkness could stop him.

He soon skids to a halt and kicked down the door with his crossbow in hand.

The Medipack was too heavy to grab on the fly so he resorted to his secondary.

Shooting a quick bolt at the Engi. He runs up

- Engi, are you ok?! What happened?
- there are others in the room.

He looks behind him to see the exact same thing Engi had, this time The three of them had their weapons out.

-Scheisse!!

Medic picks up Engi and runs out the room, this time off to the others instead of his infirmary.

As he runs down the hallway, he slams his hand across a button on the way. this causes red lights to flare up in the hallways.

Both try to cover their eyes as medic heads to the Intelligence, their meeting spot in case anything happens.

He takes no notice of the running behind him. It could be friend or foe, he can't tell and he doesn't have time to, he just needs to run.

As he approached the steps down, he slows slightly so he doesn't slip.

After jumping the final steps, he slides into the room, propping the engineer against a wall and has a quick look at the room.

The Intelligence is gone.

His heart drops but the rapid steps force him to look at the hallway where he came from, only to see the scout and spy run in

- why call emergency?
- there are others here.

This causes both into a fighting mode and they each go to their weapons.

However before the scout can even touch his bat, he falls to the floor holding his side, the same one Engi had.

Medic sees this and runs over to help him.

-Schweinehund...what is it with you all?!

Not even after finishing that sentence, the spy also falls.

-medic!!!

As the medic growls, he quickly shoots the trio some heals and leaves...feeling that the others will most likely have the same effect and not wanting them to die.

Running around the building, he calls for his team, sometimes they answer or sometimes he finds them writhing in pain.

Eventually, after a painful 20min, he finally gets the majority of his team to the Intelligence room...only having his big friend heavy left.

After bringing demo into the room and practically shoving him off his shoulder and to the wall, he quickly looks everyone over...soon hearing the cries of the Russian.

-hey medic, before you go, I got a question.
-make it quick scout.
- you are the only one who seems to remember, but where were the respawn chips implanted?

Medic stops briefly... letting his mind wander as he thought back to the operation he had with Miss Pauline.

...

There sides!!!

But then...why was it hurting?!

-Scheisse!!! I will be right back.

He forgets it all after heavy once again calls for the doctor. This time, with more urgency.

After making his way to the location where his big friend was calling him, he sees heavy fighting one of the creatures who he had seen in the same room as the engineer.

A massive gorilla had been attacking the Russian and while they looked like they were in a stalemate, the side on heavys hip had started to glow...

A dangerous red...one blinking and rabidly becoming quicker.

...

*BOOOOOM*

blood splatters on both the ape and medic...but unlike the ape who stood still in shock, the medic rushes over immediately

-HEAVY!!!!

The anger and sadness overtake the healer and he emidietly shoots a crossbow bolt in hopes of at least stopping the pain. He kneels over and starts diving in heavys side, with no medigun, he risks killing the Russian but after finally griping the small chip-sized board, he yanks it out.

- stay with me heavy!! I promise to heal you!

As he takes the chip out and throws it to the floor, he starts spamming bolts into heavys leg, hoping the healing will soon fix the massive gaping hole and not kill him.

After a quick think, he rummages for heavys sandvich, offering it to the half-asleep Russian to eat.

He does and the healing process quickens.

Soon he is healed and medic stands protectively over the heavy as he slowly gets up

-do not hurt my team, we have just gotten out a stressful situation and if you want to die, you are more than welcome to engage further.

Heavy tries to place a hand on medics a shoulder in an attempt to calm him, but soon the doc turns around and tells the heavy to

- get to the intelligence, the others are there and you can keep them company...I will try to lose them.

Thinking up a quick plan, the medic opts to stick with it while he was still alive.

As the Russian leaves, the 3 people try to follow, this is met with medics' ubersaw at their throats and soon a running doctor.

They forget about the fleeing one and opt to chase the attacker, soon getting led across hallways and into corridors where they still surprisingly keep track.

By the last turn, the echoes of medics' footsteps are too all over the place to be recognizable by anyone.

Medic runs and soon reached his medical quarters...with heavy lungs, he quickly packs a bunch of stuff in his over-the-shoulder bag while thinking up a plan.

Heavy had been fighting and scout had drawn his attention to the respawns chips being conveniently where the explosion initiated.

He had checked his team the first time he joined, digging through their dead bodies in attempts to find the chip that Pauling had claimed to put in him. curiosity had made him want to analyse it, find out all he could. however, he never could find it...

Now, looking at his gloved and blood-covered hand, he had held it...a physical metal piece that had a small hole where the explosion most likely originated from.

Considering the others had been holding their sides, there were plenty of pointers to the chance of them dying...and permanently.

Packing the final bits, he quickly flings the Medipack over his shoulders and stokes the gun, taking his medical bag with the medical supplies and running to the others.

His heart beats strongly in his throat.

A couple of minutes of freedom in a free-floating white space had turned into a life-or-death situation that he was determined to save.

Even if the team were incompetent enough to run headfirst into an ubered pyro, he still saw them as family... something he shouldn't be by mercenary standard but that's beside the point.

Running down the steps, he soon looks out to the room where a couple were still standing, almost not affected by the chip, while others were almost in tears with their nerves getting burnt, death would be a luxury to them but the medic was not going to grant it...he couldn't

The three following the supposed medic had gotten lost in the dark...

Their trip here was meant to be quick. in and out with answers. but now tracer and mercy looked at Winston in frown...maybe he will finally give some sort of hint as to why?

Their questioning was cut short as the three hears shouts. Loud cries of pain that struck mercy deep in her soul.

They were hurt...and bad.

Without thinking, she took charge.

Running from hallway to hallway, trying to find her way in an unknown building. she finally got to a set of steps down.

By this point, the cries had been replaced with a more lightweight and high-pitched screech.

The shout has the same effect as the first. she ran faster, soon making her way down and to a room filled with people.

The "medic" was hunched over a blood-covered body. Their eyes were glossy and blood splattered everywhere as the others in the room paid no attention to the clear murder-like scene.

Before barging in, she properly assessed the situation, even if the actions of the "medic" were against everything mercy ever believed.

There were almost 2 groups, one who was clutching their sides as the hard hat had been, and another with bandages around their waist and slowly falling asleep.

-m...medic...
-yas soldier?

The medic didn't look away as he worked on a small boy

- what happened...
- someone got us out of the stasis engineer had made. Assumptions could be made that it was THE trio I saw but we can't take their word for granted...
- why is it painful doctor?

A guy with a balaclava had muttered something while smoking, maybe trying to return to familiarity or stop the pain, mercy couldn't tell. either way, she was not happy about smoking while injured

- chips...it's chips Scheisse!!!
- what does that mean?
- we no longer have respawns Dummkopf!!

There had been a silence, but now...a heavier one covers everybody...

Slow realization set in and they all started to feel their eyes sting, even medic after saying the truth of the matter out loud had started feeling weak...hands deep in scouts body finally gripped the small thing, the bain of all their bodies and slowly killing them.

They were cornered, with no respawn, in a building presumed their own and with 3 things following them.

...what to do.

- aghh, I will help you. The chips will be out and you won't die...but from now on, you must stick with me. I have the only means to keep you Dummkopfs alive.

His voice cracks from word to word, trying to concentrate on speaking, fixing the boy and thinking up the next steps.

The others all are silent...not wanting to worsen their situation and opting to just forget about everything while they were still here. as the medic takes out the small thing and flings it to the side, he quickly attempts to heal the boy on the floor

A gasp draws some attention as the child-like body medic was operating on had flung to life.

-I died!!
- yes, you did. Luckily I revived you but this will be the last time.
- what do you mean...doc...

As he looked at the medic, he saw the tears behind the glasses. A red colour was flung across the cheeks and nose and red eyes were fairly visible behind a layer of glass.

-ask the others. I still need to fix the rest of you.

As scout holds the side with the bandage and shimmies away from medic, the doc calls demo, the next person he is to operate on.

This time, mercy and the others watch in full glory what medic does.

Taking his weapon, the ubersaw, he slices it into their sides, Making a massive gash. immediately reciprocating with a couple of bolts, he then digs his hand into their side.

The shouts of pain make mercy move, to try and get to the patient and help them, to lull them to sleep and get the sociopathic man away. But being almost held back by Winston, she opts to just wait for one full procedure, just so she could see how unethical this self-proclaimed medic could be.

As the shouts die down, the medic finally pulls out a small metal square. Chucking to the side with the others, he moves a nozzle to the body and cranks it.

Soon the wound heals and just before the body is pumped with life, he quickly bandages the side.

Then finishing it off, the demo finally wakes up.

Another gasp allows him to reclaim the oxygen he hadn't had access to while his brain was practically dead.

As the final people are "healed" he is left alone.

Pressing his back against the wall, he places a hand over the spot where the chip was located...

Mercy could almost see the inner struggle of what to do.

Tracer and Winston didn't know what to do but mercy did...operating on ones self isn't a good idea, might as well help.

She slowly came from the shadows, and immediately, the medic reacted. Picking up his ubersaw and pointing it at the girl, he gritted his teeth.

-I warned you once, I will engage-
-I want to help you.

His growl fell as Mercies face hardens.

- you are in trouble and I want to help.

Medic drops the saw and gets up to his feet...suddenly feeling woozy but not willing to back down from a threat.

- you don't know the procedure...you don't know what this is, it's out the realm of your helping...

He slowly waved back and forth before inevitably falling to his side.

As if being hit with a sleep dart, his vision slowly fades. Trying to grab the saw with weak fingers, he can't seem to take hold of the weapon or his consciousness.

He slowly falls into a restless slumber...

Mercy watched as the doctor fell. This also alerted the others in the room and they soon get protective, each reaching for their weapons to fight.

However, in their weak state, each reacts with a hiss and glare.

Mercy stands there...true to the doctors' word...she doesn't know the procedure only having seen it at a glance and able to only assume

Along with that, a bunch of laws come to mind that immediately stop her from operating.

She is soon shaken from her thoughts by a pleading voice.

-help doctor. Please. He help us and we want to help him. Save him.

Mercy looks at the now hunched-over attacker that had basically thrown fists not even 20mins ago.

His eyes filled with tears and a pleading look...the others also fall from their anger and protective look to one of a plea...a beg of saving someone close to them.

...this guy is valuable to them...

Ignoring all the red flags, and the looks of anger from the rest of her team when she inevitably comes home with blood over all her clothes, she sets the staff down and approached the "doctor"

Her hands glide over the body as she thinks up what to do...

-*just do the same thing he did...cut, grab, heal*

After thinking twice and being put on the spot with the teams' eyes on her and plus the two team members behind the wall. She finally pushes everything away in an attempt to save him.

Grabbing the saw from the now limp hand, she slices the side where she figured the chip was. Luckily, she was correct.

Jabing it deeper and then throwing it at her side, she slides her hand into the now gaping hole.

Not knowing where to look, she hopes. From cutting random arteries with just a slice of her finger to destroying nerves by the millions, she hopes her healing can fix this.

Soon, her hand makes contact with something hard and small

- *chip*

After getting a good grip on it, she yanks it out, more blood spurs all over the place. she just holds her breath in response.

After getting the small thing off her gloves, she points her staff at the body. Luckily the thing does register him as a friend and "alive" and he is flooded with a yellow light.

After looking around, she finds the bandages he had used on the others. Opting to stick with what he had done, she grabs them and wraps them around the gash, pointing the light the last time at his body and fixing the last parts.

After a couple of seconds, she checks for a pulse...and feeling a strong one pump through the neck she sighed and looked at the others.

- he has a pulse.

The entire group relax and press their backs against the wall.

The calm soon turns to tension as no one knew what to do, the medic was the one who initiated the conflict, but with him gone, they didn't know what to do.

Mercy soon sees her teammates at the corner of her eye and she figured it's worth not engaging them anymore.

As she walks off, the others eye her suspiciously but don't question her. After turning the corner, she looks down at the floor and just waits for the complaints from the two.

After not receiving anything, she looks up to check whether they are mad or not...

...yup, quite angry...

Before any of the three can talk, the team in the other room start voicing the option for their next steps.

- sooooo...we got out...we have our respawns chips taken out and...we don't have a medic currently. Any ideas?
- we also don't know when and where we are.
-yes, I have a feeling a couple of min in stasis didn't transfer to a couple of min here...this place looks abandoned.

As the group talk, the trio around the corner have a staring contest, almost to assert control over the others

Winston: we leave right now
Tracer: we tell them but don't elaborate
Mercy: we tell them and keep them company until they can leave on their own

But soon their fight is caught off when they hear something...maybe directed to them.

-hey, I know this is probably in vain but are you still their toots? If you could explain some things, we promise not to fight
- we just need a bit of information, maybe a phone because I have a feeling the administrator isn't going to be the happiest.

The last guy to speak has his voice lowered by the end...almost talking to himself.

Mercy looks them both in the eyes and turns around.

She won the fight. They want to talk to her and she is willing to.

As tracer and Winston almost beg her not to, she turns around and walks straight back in.

-ah, she is still here!!
- is that a good or bad thing
-depends...what were you doing.
- I came with others. We were just having a quick talk.
-fair, the medic did say 3 so I guess it makes sense. Anyway, might explain some things.
-like what?

Mercy had placed her staff on the floor and opted to sit down.

-well...first things first, where are we?
- we are in our base idiot
-it's worth checking!!

As the man in a mask and a guy with a headset squabble, a guy with a hat and vest, the big fighter and a dark-skinned and eyepatch-wearing guy roll their eyes. This soon ended with a man in a full fire resistant suite slapping the man in the mask across the back of the head.

- what the hell pyro!?

He points to mercy and he understands...soon pressing his back up against the wall and looking her in the eye.

Taking this as her push to talk, she explains the trip here and the surrounding place.

-well, in a desert. There are 2 buildings if I am not mistaken...tracer mentions seeing something outside but she never mentioned what.
- it was a turret...still warm too.
-turret? That must be my sentry!! Has it been working the entire time I had been out?

Tracer had wandered in at the mention of her name and explained her side of what she saw.

-maybe? I wouldn't know. It was defiantly different from torbs turret and covered in moss.
- I should probably finally destroy it...I forgot I still had it out.

While he was looking for his PDA the kid looked at mercy and asked another question.

- This may sound kinda odd, but what year are we in?
-oh, 2075

At this, the entire team look directly at tracer, the one who blurted out the year.

Even the hard hat had stopped looking for his small device to properly understand what had been said

-2000....and 75? Are you sure?
-well you did mention how you doubted a couple of minutes in this "stasis" wouldn't equate to minutes here.
-well yes but I didn't think it would be an entire century.

At this, the two girls stopped instead and looked at the one who had spoken. The hard hat.

-100 years?!
- yea, we are from 1968.

Now all 3 of the overwatch members had the same idea

-*We are keeping them with us until they learn and are able to stand with no help*

They were not about to let 100-year-old...fighters Make a fool of themselves in the now-evolved world.

The hard hat finally finds the PDA and has a look.

-huh, it said it's still full of ammo...I would have figured it fired while I was out.
- no, when I checked the thing was unresponsive.
-well, it's dead now.

He presses a button to cause the explosion.

Mercy hears and looks at the doorway where the sound was faded.

-and you just kill it like that?
-well it has no use, so why keep it?
-right, we have answers...good to know. Now we just need this place up and running, I have a feeling...RED.

There is a silence as the team all think the same thing while not breaking to think that

- hold on, what happened to RED?

This stops the entire team in their tracks.

What did happen?

Winston finally has enough of the hanging questions and walks into the room to try and sort everything.

- right, may I ask that-
-AHHHHH

the team all recoiled at the sight of a massive, buff monkey and apart from heavy who had seen him and fought him before, all moved into the heavy for protection. He was the biggest and it was instinct.

- calm down. Is just monkey, nothing to scare you.
-YOU KNOW HIM!?!
-Oh yea, I fought him before medic took small chip out and sent me to you.
-and I must say it was a good fight, had it not been for that explosion, I think we would have been evenly matched.
-thank you.
- but anyway, I just ask you all to come with me. This is no place to heal.

The team all look at one another.

- so, we goin with? They know much we don't so...
-I guess it's worth a shot...what about our weapons, I would still like to bring my watch and disguise kit with me.
-yea, I want my scrumpy...
- we can come back for your things
-oh hell no, I ain't leaving without my bonk
- Winston Luv, do we even have enough space for everyone in the car?

This makes the big gorilla fall silent. He figures all 9 would want to be together but there definitely isn't enough space for even 5.

-oi have the van, she could take a majority
- that piss box on wheels? No thank you.
-they, it's a great car, it gets the job done spy!!
- I would have figured you wanted to be with the girls.
- hey!!

Winston feels his eye twitch but Luckily someone stops the hassle before it escalates

- we are going in snipers van
-thank you-

He looks over to the "medic"

He had an arm over the bandages spot and he was limping to the heavys side, soon collapsing in his embrace

- we have absolutely no leads while also damaged. We are going with them and we are taking the van.
- but medic!!
- no, lissen to me scout. I know we are mercenaries but considering we no longer have the ability to stay alive indefinitely, we need at least a month of safety before we can go out completing contracts. We will listen to them for the month and only then will we go out. And that goes for everyone. Got it?

There is a line of nods while medic stretched and he soon hisses, reaching for his side again

- right, sniper, help me up. We are going over there. The rest of you better be there in 15min.

As the aforementioned sniper got up and slowly inched towards medic, he left his hand out for the medic to take, soon pulling the healer up to his feet.

-I can't allow you to move...you are in no physical wellbeing to
-I will heal fully soon, it's fine.

Surprisingly mercy stepped down, opting to leave the "doctor" and then wait till he came crawling back. soon the two are off and to the car, this leaves the 7 on the floor and the 3 to all wordlessly communicate

-dam, I knew medic was tough but I never knew he was that strong.
- he is a medic...what did you expect sugar for brains.
-fair...so what, we wait for 15min?
-na, Considering medic will soon heal, we should get going. Bet medic will carry sniper bridal style when he heals
-bet.

The scout and demo chat up what they are getting while the others just look off...the walls are comforting somehow and they don't want to stress themself out.

<time skip>

As the group made their way to the van, Winston recalled the small wooden place...but opted to not mention the fuel canister.

- hey sniper!!
-yes?

As the doors to the back open and he jumps out, now with no bandage and not even limping, he walks to the team and helps spy while looking at the scout.

- how soon did the medic heal?
-in like 2min, why?
- did he carry you to the van?

There is a silence as a slight blush covers the sniper. There was nothing between them, but considering they never grew up properly, they still opted to act like children. Laughing about positions even if they were fully grown adults.

-haha!! Knew it!! You owe me 10 drinks of that radiation!
-god dam it. I would have figured he stayed professional.
- he said it was to get to the van quicker so it would be set for you guys.

As the team talked amongst themself, the 3 off to the side wondering what to do.

-they seem a bit too childish, don't you think Winston?
-yes...they do...but when I fought the strong one, I could feel the anger and strength...I have a feeling the others are similar...we need to ask them about it though.
- hey monkey!!!
-excuse me, I am a gorilla
-yeayea, whatever. There is not enough space for the lot of us in the van could soldier, pyro and spy be in the car with you?

As mercy and Winston think about it. Tracer, without thinking,

- yes, we have space for 3. Who are they?

The man with the full-body fire-resistant suit, the one with the mask and a guy with a war helmet on, all step forward.

There is some slight tension as the trio walk over to a now giddy tracer and hesitant mercy.

- so, will we be heading to the car?
- uh, yes. Sorry.

Winston leads the group as tracer teleports from side to side.

-ohhh, is so nice meeting new people.
-honey, tracer, you must calm down. We don't know anything about them.

As the three approach the car that was now in sight, the three mercenaries all...just stop.

-...WHAT ZE HELL IZ ZAT?!?

By the time mercy opens the door to the driver's side, she looks at the people screaming and sees a range of cases.

Shocked for a very interested presumed soldier, An almost ecstatic glee for the pyro, and a very concerned for the spy.

-its a car(?)
- omg, wait until the engineer sees this. He will be amazing.
-well excuse me but-
-NOOO

As spy and solder talk about what the fuck is happening. Traser shouts draw their attention.

Looking over, they see pyro approaching the wheels...one with flames coming out.

As his hand approached the flame, it's almost as if he thinks twice...but they two know he is going for it, he is just thinking about what to do with the flame once he holds it.

-PYRO!!!! NO

The spy had enough of the antics and just downright shouts at him. He was not about to make the flame lover destroy their only way back.

- I know you want fire so here, have a lighter, but DO NOT set anything alight with it. Got it?!

The pyro nods and runs over to the spy, super giddy to be holding a flame. As the spy promised, he gives his cigaret lighter to pyro, who takes it and flicks it on and off.

-ugh...there is a reason I was not too fond of the other teams pyro, they always flung fire at me when he found me.
- he usually shot me out of the sky with scorch shots or the detonator...it was a major pain when he was in the fight.

As the soldier and spy finally approach the car and get in, pyro follows with the flame in hand. They soon get in the car and carry on talking about RED pyro and how utterly annoying he was.

Mercy now slowly opens the door and climbers in while the other two just stand there shocked...

Set alight!?! And there fine?!?!

Opting to ignore it, the two also get into the car and soon drive out to the street where they wait for sniper and his van.

Soon, it does. A box on wheels climbers out the turn and into the road.

Spy has a thinking moment, he should tell the others actually...

Pulling out a random flip phone, he quickly looks up engineer's number.

The only two were trusted with phones...most of the time there split so info could be given from one to another quickly.

Putting it to his ear, he waits for the ring to end.

- what is that?
-I know right, we get the futuristic car while you take the van.
- now spy-

Spy moves his phone away from his ear and looks at tracer, the only other one at the back of the car along with the 3.

- where are we going?
- to overwatch HQ
-...town, city....?
-oh, that basic centre of the big city.

...

- Engi, who is driving?
-sniper
- heavy is the most focused, put him by the wheel.
-excuse me?
- we are going to a most likely completely different city than we remember. We need the most focused by the wheel to follow the car.
-...alrighty then. If something happens then it's on you.
-I got money, it's fine.

He ends the call and places the phone back in the pocket he managed to fish it from..

...this trip will be hella eventful.

<time skip>

As the desert started turning to farmland, housing, building and soon skyscrapers, each of the members had their moment.

The building were nothing like they had seen. And yes they had been to "Kong King" but this was futuristic...far more lighting and absolute colour.

Some people wandering around had seen the van...a box...with wheels...on the floor(!!!!)

But it was short-lived as mercy finally pulled up into the parking lot along with the crusty van. The poor thing hurdles to a stop in a parking spot and the 6 all clamber out

-what is this?
-...a city?

Everyone in the small car had gotten out and met sniper and the rest at the van's back doors, soon solder, pyro and spy all grouped with their team.

...

-...soo, what's the plan... why drag us here?
- well, I want to take you to our medical quarters, we need to heal you and teach you a bit. Considering you passed...100 years...with no difference, it would be best to teach you something.

The group all basically look at one another to see what the others do...all are neutral and willing to follow... I mean, medics words are not easily forgotten when he practly shouts them in someone's face.

-alright lead the way.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.5K 267 19
Helloween arrives this year its time for merasmus to make his appearance once again. When the mercenaries defeat him.he has left the bombinomicon beh...
254K 3.8K 32
I will be doing a series of one shots. I take requests! Please, request a scenario, and I will do it! :D No smut though, I want it pg here. But of co...
24K 536 22
willy, being a huntsman of dangerous game in the australian outback, has been used to being alone most of the time. lucien, hailing from an indetermi...
35.7K 882 39
Complete. (Female child). You're parents never stopped arguing. A father who cheated and drank 24/7 and a mother who couldn't take a day off. You're...