SIMPHIWE SHANDU THE HUSBAND

By Mbalezinhle90

n/a More

SIMPHIWE SHANDU THE HUSBAND

241 28 0
By Mbalezinhle90

SIMPHIWE SHANDU THE HUSBAND 
CHAPTER 39
VIOLET

First day at work and already I have had it with these people. I know I should be grateful but everything about this Eatery irks me in a certain way. I have mopped the floor countless times and the bloody customers have no shame in stepping on the slippery floor. The sign is there - I don’t know whether they are playing dumb or what. They should have mercy on this pregnant woman. 
“Sisi, can you mop on this side. Clearly the entrance is the busiest now.” says the manager who hired me. I sigh pulling the bucket to the side. I guess I will have to put cardboard on the wet floor to avoid multiple footprints. I continue to mop around. It's too early for them to be dining and eating here. Who orders expensive breakfast instead of buying what you want from the shops and makes it at home. Some people do not have logic yazi. I shake my head. When the busy has died down will then continue to mop where I have been disturbed on. Right now, those bloody toilets need my attention. The Eatery Dine is not that bad, inf act it is the coolest place I have ever worked in. I already have some dos on my list. My back is killing me. I stand up straight and rub my back.
“You shouldn’t over work yourself.” says one of the girls. She smiles and grabs the mop out of my hands. “I am Khanyisile by the way.” She lets out her hand for a handshake, but I just stare at her eyes. They are so...
“I always get that reaction when people look at me. It does not bug me any longer.” she says making me sink in shame. I placed my butt on the toilet seat. 
“I am sorry. I did not mean to.” I say. It was very much rude of me to just stare at a person I don’t even know especially a person who has this kind of... - I don’t know what to make out of it. 
“It's okay – it does not get to me.” she says and begins to mop the floor. Now I am more hurt by my actions. I take a deep breath to think of a way to make her feel better. I know that I have hurt her feelings in the most crucial way.
“When did you start working here?” I try to make conversation. 
“It’s been a while.” she smiles back. She has such flawless skin. Tiny and so damn short. Or is it because I come from a family filled with tall people. 
“You are so short and tiny. Shouldn’t you be in school?” She is very young if you ask me. 
“Just graduated months back in Marketing and Business Management.” I coughed out a dry cough. Highly impossible! I am left with my mouth wide open. She really shoved herself down my throat and left me to swallow. I find the courage to stand up. At least I have rested a bit. I followed the direction she took. I don’t even know whether I am permitted to be around this area. 
“You cannot be this side Sisi.” She comes back holding a cloth. I look at the door CEO written on it. I assume the biggest boss occupies the office. I nod my head and turn to leave with a tail tucked in between my legs. I don’t know where to go from here. I don’t know anyone and it looks like everyone is a pair. I sit on the benches outside. Rather play music than look at people going up and down making me dizzy. I take out my phone and put my headsets on. Nothing heals like music in full blast. I close my eyes and listen... A shadow in front of me. I open my eyes and find a tall Figa standing in front of me. I frown - I remove my headsets. 
“I have been calling you for the past hour.” he says and sits next to me. Is he not exaggerating. I smile. He looks so cute and very much like Mkhuleko. I wonder how he is doing in jail. 
“My name is Mkhuseli but you can call me Khuli.” he introduces himself. 
“Violet.” 
“Just wanted to say welcome to our humble company. We have a canteen where we offer lunch for our team. Feel free to join everyone.” He stands up and smiles looking at Khanyisile making her way towards us. I look at them and I can vouch these two are fucking. I can't believe that I almost befriended this girl. Maybe she got her job this way. 
“Babe.” The enthusiasm in the man's voice sickens me. “Did you call the Deco people?” I roll my eyes. 
“Yeap. I didn't know that organizing a wedding is this hard.” My eyes pop out. Get out of here! This girl is getting married to a very fine man like this! I wonder what God did to us. Guess he loves these kinds of people more. I take time in looking at her eyes. I don’t know which direction she is looking in. Is she looking at me or is she looking on the side? Some things are just absurd honestly. 
“Mxm.” I watch them as they walk away hand in hand leaving me still seated. What did this man see in a cleaner vele?

-
-
-

I miss home, I miss my mother and her stop nonsense loudmouth. I take off my work boots and throw myself on the bed. Work is not bad. Working hours are normal working hours and the pay is not that bad either. Four thousand rands a month will make a huge difference to me. I smile already imaging my baby being taken to school on her first day. I will need to buy baby clothes but first I will have to buy those little things for this house. At least we have a stuff car, so that means no money for transport. Well, for me. I will have to cook later on so that I can have a proper supper. My mind trails back to that Khanyisile girl. Is she really getting married to the boss? Everyone was talking saying how excited they are to support Umkhehlo which is a Zulu tradition pre-wedding ceremony. Some people are just born lucky and here we are pregnant for jailbirds. I wonder where I will be in five years' time. Sighs!

NOZIMANGA

He was here last night. I felt his presence. His cold hand caressing on my cheek. Mlando was here. That ‘woza endodeni’ came out as a whisper from his mouth. He made me feel goosebumps and shiver a bit. I would feel hot and cold at the same time. There was a time where I thought I was walking in ice only to find out that I was in this very same ward. My Jele looked so beautiful and very young without a beard. He looked like a schoolboy. I chuck because all of my thoughts are just plain stupid. 
“Ready to be discharged?” I haven't been happier. 
“Yes.” I smile at my father. When I heard the news of being discharged the first person, I got to call was my father. I just want to spend time with him and just forget about everything and everyone for a while. Now that I know that my Mlando is okay puts my heart at ease.
“Then let's go home.” I get off the bed and my father's eyes land on my stomach. He gasps in shock and drops the bag on the floor. He gives me the warmest hug ever. 
“I told you that when the right time comes, God will her your cries.” he pulls back. If he only knew that the child am carrying is not of my ex-husband.  
“You did father.” I smile. The awkward smile. Hours ago, I was a mess. I felt my world stopping. And my whole body failed to function. 
“Let's go home. I am sure your mother is preparing the most delicious stew.” He holds my hand and holds my bag with his other hand. He still drives his old van even though Simphiwe bought him a brand-new car.
“Where is your car?” I ask him. 
“In the garage.” He shoves my bag in the boot. I take the front seat and buckle up. He hops in and drives off. “Where...” my phone rings. Simphiwe’s name flashes on it. He is just asking how I am and if I need anything. He is back to the old Simphiwe that I met in high school. The Simphiwe that moved mountains for me. The Simphiwe that put me first before everything and anything. I smile remembering those days. That big head really did love me, but I don’t know what happened. 
“Is that Mkhwenyana?” my father asks pulling me out of my trail of thoughts. I stop smiling and fiddle with my hands like a girl that was caught stealing. 
“Yes.” I don’t want to talk about this subject with my father. He doesn’t know where Simphiwe and I are at this point and that we have divorced. My father is very weak and fragile. So, hurting him will be a no point. I will have to be the Nozi that he knows and play along. I will tell him at the right time since Jele is fine now. I will have to ask him first before I get to introduce him to my father.
“I can see he is treating you right.” 
“Yes, he is.” Now he takes the credit for Mlando’s doings. That man - Mlando will be the death of me. I tried his number again, but it takes me to voicemail. Maybe he is at work or something. He needs all the time to rest and heal. These past few months have been hectic for him.
“And we are home.” My father announces. Still looks the same. There is his wife standing in the middle of the doorway with a wide smile on her face. I guess I now have to be a child to her. This hard stone heart will need need to stop. But I am just failing to accept her. 
“Look at you!” she shouts for the neighbors to hear. It’s just only us I don’t know what she will achieve of this screaming of hers. “Now I will have someone calling me Gogo since God did not bless me with any of my own.” I feel her pain but I hide my emotions. 
“Hai Mah.” She opens her arms and embraces me with a tight warm hug. 
“I cooked your favorite.” With that said, she pulls me by hand dragging me to the kitchen. She forces me to sit down and begins dishing on the plate Intaba yase Dubai. I can't eat all of this. I look at her, and she has that serious look on her face. 
“You need all the nutrients you can find. Eat up so we can take your vitamins.” She leaves the kitchen leaving me confused. What the hell is wrong with my father's wife? My father is laughing somewhere in the house and here I am enjoying this mountain on the plate. I won't lie her food is beyond delicious. I wiped the plate clean and now I am failing to even stand up. I feel an ounce of tears rolling...
‘’Haibo, and now?” 
“I can't stand up.” I say. 
“Okay, then why did you not ask for help?” she asks with her hands on her hips. I shrug my shoulders. Honestly, I do not know. She helps me stand and all I want is to just sleep. I push myself towards my bedroom. This woman has the time to change the bedding when I do not even sleep in this house. 

“Nozi, whatever you need Simphiwe will be there throughout. I am sorry I did not stick around.” 
“Jele, what are you saying to me?” I tried holding him and he just take steps back. “Mlando!” 
“Take care of yourself.” he turns to leave. I ran after him. The more I run the more I feel like I am being pulled backwards. 
“Mlando! Where are you going?” He disappears into a heavy mist. Just like that... I wake up panting and sweaty. I look at the time and I notice that I have just slept for an hour. It’s right after eleven am. I reached for my phone and tried his phone one last time but still nothing. Now I am more worried about him. The dream does not make sense at all.

SIMPHIWE

I take a deep breath looking at the brown envelope. There is a letter specifically for Nozi. I am so tempered to see what he has written in it, but my conscious will not allow me. I don't want to smash my heart – already it’s going though the most because of everything. I read the contract...
“I Mlando Jele hereby declare that Nozimanga...” I read the rest in silence. My heart is pumping in fear. Why would Jele do such? 
“He can't this to Nozi!” I hiss. I shove everything inside the contract. I need to be at the hospital. He has some explanation to do. I do not understand this at all. I put Nozi’s slippers on and stepped out of the master bedroom. I ran down the stairs and the doorbell rang. I am in no mood for any visitors. I have serious matters to attend to. I open the door and find Bagqibile with Sizile in her arms. Her face lightens up and lets herself in. 
“What are you doing here?” I ask in shock. I don’t remember agreeing for her to bring the child by. 
“We came to see Daddy. Right Sizile.” 
“I was on my way out. You should have called!” I snap. Her eyebrows snap right at my face. “Look, this is not a good time nor a good place. If you want Sizile to spend time with me, you should call first. I am on my way out to see my wife.” 
“So, she is much more important than your own daughter? You haven't asked me how she has been.”
“Thats because I am going through the most now and I just want space to think things through and be alone for a second. Please, Bagqibile - I will call you once everything has settled down. Right now, I am not coping at all.” She sighs and steps out of the house without responding. I hate it that I must do this to Sizile but this is not the right time at all. 
“Let me drop you in town so that you can buy her something nice.” I say trying to calm her down. She gets into the car without saying anything and shoves herself in the backseat. Thank God she did not option for the front seat. This seat is reserved for Nozi and no one else. I drive past town...
“Here, buy her some nice shoes and clothes.” I hand her a thousand rand. I have a few thousand left in my account and I do not know how long it will sustain me until I get back on my feet. She takes the money, and half smiles then shifts her eyes to Sizile. 
“I will call you. I'm deeply sorry about everything.” I say. She steps out of the car and does not respond and closes the door harshly. I close my eyes. Honestly, I do not have time for her. Her drama is on another level. Bagqibile is exhausting! I drive like a maniac to the hospital. I am way too early for the visiting hours, but I had no choice. I pass by the receptionist and march to the ward. The bed is empty. I look around and everything is clean. 
“Nurse, where is the young man that was kept in this room?” I ask with my heart already ready to jump out of my mouth. She smiles giving me that sympathetic look. The doctor passes by holding a blue file and I just know what the blue file means. 
“Dr Shandu.” He greets me and stands Infront of me. 
“Where is Dr Jele.” I ask with my all of a sudden squeaky voice. He clears his throat and adjusts his tie. 
“I have no better way of saying this.” 
“Say what?” 
“I’m sorry...” I feel those words echoing right in my ear's multiple times. I hold my chest everything is just spinning around. I sit on the bed to make sense of the news. 
“He took his last breath this midnight.” The doctors add. I close my eyes and think of Nozi as to how this will affect her. I feel my world coming to an end.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

107 0 11
/// SIX ///
430K 11.5K 28
ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴊᴜꜱᴛ ᴀ ꜱᴍᴀʟʟ ꜱᴛʀᴇᴀᴍᴇʀ ᴡʜᴏ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ʟɪᴠɪɴɢ ᴡɪᴛʜ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏʟᴅᴇʀ ʙʀᴏᴛʜᴇʀ Qᴜᴀᴄᴋɪᴛʏ, ᴏʀ ᴀꜱ ꜱᴏᴍᴇ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ꜱᴀʏ ᴀʟᴇx. ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ ᴀ ᴍᴀʟᴇ ᴡʜɪ ɪꜱ ʙᴀꜱɪᴄᴀʟʟ...