A Ghost's Wish [MxM]

By Hopestrife

[COMPLETED] Oliver Kardos was the General of Bierze and Guardian of the Realms. He had dedicated his life to... More

1. A Ghost
2. A Ghost's Request
3. A Ghost's Parade
4. Anima Wish
5. A Wish
6. A Ghost Returns
7. An Insulting Proposal
8. A Ghost Becomes a Trainee
9. An Informant
10. A Ghost, a Priest, and a Thief Walk Into Bar
11. An Old Foe
12. An Alibi
13. A Ghost Wrapped in Mystery
14. An Expected Invitation
15. A Spar
16. A Ball
17. A Break Up
18. A Confrontation in the Gardens
19. A Farewell
20. A Brawl
21. A Threat
22. A Battle
23. A Welcome Home
24. A Rescue
25. A Dream
26. A King
27. A Guest
28. A Prisoner
29. A Breakdown
30. A Vision
31. Moonlight
32. A Nest
33. A Roar
34. A Wyvern
35. A Dragon King
36. A Request to Leave
37. A Threat
38. A Conference
39. A Motive
40. A Night [M]
41. A Brand
42. A Summons
43. A Skirmish
44. Guarded
45. Choices
46. A Visitor
47. A Golden Cage
48. An Old Friend
49. An Heir
50. A Rucrean King
51. Reunited
52. A Traitor
53. Terms of Surrender
54. A Guardian
55. Desire [M]
56. An Attack
57. A Monster
58. A Messanger
59. Four Generals
60. An Explosion
62. War
63. An End
64. A Ghost's Wish [End]
Epilogue

61. A Stampede

5.5K 417 61
By Hopestrife

The clouds came as quickly as the winds. Oliver watched the grey skies with trepidation. The army had calmed, but they still felt naively elated. He had still demanded a night watch despite the protests of the others. 

However, those who regained their memories didn't argue. Their overwhelming trust in his instincts directed them to enforce Oliver's decisions. 

As the storm started to settle in, he could feel resentment from the soldiers standing watch. He didn't fault them because it was a miserable task.

He looked at the clouds again as lightning flickered, lighting the land with bright white for a moment before being devoured by darkness again. 

The others didn't sense it, but he could smell war in the air. They lit the fuse when they destroyed the Taotie Orbs, but the threat wasn't gone.

Oliver sighed and then entered the tent to join the realm leaders. Amongst Oliver's old comrades, Conrad and Phoibe sat at the table. They proved to be miserably stubborn and ignored Oliver's and Draco's pleas to have them return to Abrorg. 

The group didn't look up from the map lying across the table.  They presented their ideas, debating the best strategy for the upcoming battle. Quincey pointed to several tactical vantage points while Imran distributed the strength within the armies. They seemed to have been speaking for a while, and their voices were hoarse.

Sometimes the others would interject, and then the arguing would ensue. Despite the harsh tones being flung around, the discussion was harmonious... and loud. 

Oliver was used to brooding silence as he planned his next attack. The droning discussions were enough to draw a smile from his lips.

Draco looked up from the map and ushered him over to the empty chair next to him. Oliver sat down with a sigh, his eyes skimming over the markings on the map. 

A loud boom of thunder sounded, and Oliver flinched. He closed his eyes, trying to calm his nerves. However, he was convinced that something wasn't right. 

Another round of rumbling thunder crescendoed overhead, and Oliver's attention was snapped toward the outside, downing out the chatter of the men around him. The rain started to fall heavily, roaring with the whistling wind threatening to tear down their tents. 

"Oliver?"

"Guardian?"

"...Oli?"

He didn't hear the people calling out to him. Instead, he focused on the storm. That disquieting feeling was intensifying. Something ominous was closing in on them.

Beneath the thunders, Oliver was able to hear the roars of beasts.  

His violet eyes trembled as he heard the creatures within the storm. Usually, the plains' beasts would vacate areas with a large population of humans. And if there were a storm, they would seek shelter.  There was no way they would be out in the open and competing with the weather.

Lightning streaked across the sky, reflecting the dread in Oliver's eyes. A crash of thunder made the world tremble, and their horses cried out. Deep in the plains, roars of countless beasts responded.

They came from one direction, and when the thunder sounded again, Oliver could tell they were coming closer.  

The other leaders were watching him, completely forgetting their original purpose of the meeting. More roars intertwined with the thunder and howls of beasts. Closer still.

Oliver stood from his chair, toppling it over, and rushed outside.  The rain hit him, instantly soaking him. The wind ripped at his white clothes and hair, making him look like a ghostly apparition.  

Oliver ignored the people calling out from behind him again. He rushed west of his camp and desperately tried to see past the sheet of rain to find something.  He grabbed the cloak of the man on watch. 

"Have you seen anything? Heard anything?" He asked.

The soldier looked confused and shook his head. He pointed to the sky. "The weather is preventing us from seeing past a hundred meters."

Oliver cursed as he turned back to the curtained plains. Between the raindrops, shimmering lights flickered. A couple of lights turned to a dozen...which then turned to hundreds. 

Oliver shuddered. He knew that these were not torches or magic. 

Draco appeared next to him and analyzed the same scene. "What is it?"

Oliver grabbed the warning horn on his belt. "A stampede."

Draco paled. "The beasts in the plains don't stampede."

Oliver blew into the horn. The deep bellow cut through the night, but the thunder drowned most of it. He gave the horn to the soldier on watch and pulled him close so he could hear his commands.

"Sound the warning and find a way to light the fucking fires to gather the others. Tell them to prepare for battle," Oliver commanded.

The soldier was terrified and froze in place, looking at the glowing lights in fear, hoping that he had imagined it. But Oliver grabbed his collar and forced him to turn his attention away. "Go! Stop wasting time!"

The soldier ran away, tripping over his feet, but he caught himself and ran to the warning fires while blowing the horn. 

Oliver glared into the plains. The lights started to become brighter, foreshadowing the many different types of creatures they would face. 

"This night will leave us vulnerable." Oliver seethed. 

Draco grabbed his hand. "Let's go out and meet the beasts."

This wasn't a usual stampede. Draco was right when he said that the plains beast don't stampede—they scatter. This was orchestrated. And it was apparent that the Ravagers were retaliating by using the creatures they had stolen magic from.

Gather beasts, drain their magic, make them feral, and release the beasts in the enemy camp when the thunderstorm could drown out all roars. It was a dirty move but cunning nonetheless. And when you're in the middle of a war, you err on the side of cunning. 

"I'll draw the first attack; hopefully, I can push them away from camp," Oliver said.

The two of them ran into the open plains toward the stampede. Oliver could feel the ground trembling under his feet. He didn't bother with drawing out his swords just yet. Instead, his fingers curled, and the raindrops falling around him stopped mid-air. The water vibrated and then turned cold, cracking and creaking under the pressure of his magic until it crystallized into ice. 

He then changed the shapes of the ice surrounding him, sharpening it into arrowheads. It was mesmerizing to see countless shards of ice dance around him, except each piece was filled with deadly killing intent.

The ice continued to gather around him, twisting and turning until it was like a small cyclone. Then with a snap of his fingers, the ice stopped, poised and quivering with the yearning for blood. 

The glow of the eyes was closer than before, and he could smell the stench of the creatures approaching. He could hear their snarls and the snaps of their jaws. Close.

He took a deep breath and waved his hand. Release, he ordered the magicked arrowheads. 

They flew into the air, their whistle harmonizing with the crescendo of the thunder.  He heard the wet thuds of the ice piercing through the bodies of the animals, and the night was filled with roars of indignation. The land rumbled as they stormed forward. 

This would be his prelude to the baleful melody of war.

Oliver frowned. If these animals had any sanity remaining, they would have turned and left. His attack harmed many, killing a few, but they were undeterred. This meant that they were beyond the point of return. They were rabid and feral. They would only stampede and destroy until their madness killed them. 

Oliver ignored the rain running down his face and strained to hear every sound on this new battlefield.

Adjust. Strategize. Fight.

He wasn't fighting against well-trained soldiers and a cohesive army. He was pitted against mindless beasts. Death would be the only comfort he could give them. 

He lifted his hands to create another storm of ice, but Draco stood next to him and shook his head. "Let me"

His deep red flames ignited and licked at his hands. He punched his hands forward, and the flames erupted and billowed out through the plains like a flood. Waves of fire rolled and twisted, roaring as lightning crashed into its plumes. 

Much to the opposite of the sharp whistle of Oliver's ice, this fire was explosive and violent. It was massive without restraint or control. Sometimes it was blacker than the night. Other times, it glimmered and shined like polished ruby. 

The heat was impossibly intense. It consumed the land and evaporated the moisture in the air. Oliver and Draco stood in the space now void of rain, enduring the heat of the flames. They watched it as it crashed against the beasts, who continued to rush toward them. 

It swallowed the animals, including their screams. 

The fire quelled and extinguished itself shortly after, and the rain suddenly fell again, sizzling on the burnt land. 

They waited, never letting down their guard.  Suddenly another roar was heard from a creature beyond the size they killed. 

Oliver shuddered. "Sand Drake," he murmured. 

Draco pulled him toward him and grabbed his chin gently. "Taking it down will be my responsibility this time."

He kissed him before he pulled away and ran toward the drake.  His scales emerged, and his wings broke through his skin. His shift was seamless, and the large dragon appeared in front of Oliver. Draco roared into the sky to challenge the drake, demanding the other creatures' submission. 

However, the drake was a violent creature who had lost its mind. It only knew rage and could not feel the threat of a dragon's roar. It rushed toward Draco, accepting the challenge. 

Its brown and red scales were dull, and Oliver knew its hide was thick and powerful armor. Not much could penetrate it. And its body was large, causing destruction with every step. Large spikes protruded from the back of its head and trailed down its spine. Its tail was long, with a spiked ball at the end. It could swing its tail and use it like a mace on a whip. 

As Draco approached, it swung its tail as its first attack. The mace ripped through the air, but Draco swatted it away with his claws. With a snarl, he snapped his jaws at the drake. He reared up, his wings extended behind him. His black scales were deeper than any ink or flames, swallowing any light that dared to approach. When the lightning flashed, all one could see was a dark shadow and burning red eyes.

Draco swiped down at the drake, embedding his talons deep into the face of the drake and dragging them down. Blood splashed on the ground in puddles and was immediately washed away from the rain. 

The drake roared in pain and snapped at Draco, but Draco had already swung another claw, carving deep wounds into its neck. The drake twisted its body, and its tail whipped around. At the same time, a den of horned vipers rushed toward him. They came quickly and wrapped around his legs, slowing his movement. 

The drake's tail wrapped around and clashed with Draco's jaw. He roared, paralyzing the vipers. With a deep breath, he released another explosion of fire, burning half of the giant snakes. 

Oliver cursed as he saw the scene. Most reptiles would be submissive before a dragon, but they were in a mad frenzy. 

The lightning flashed again, illuminating Oliver's figure as he drew his white swords slowly. The blades glimmered against the flickering light. He exhaled before he launched himself into battle. 

He was able to approach a horned viper and leap onto its back. Once it noticed the unwelcomed company, it released Draco's leg and tried to wrap around to attack Oliver. However, Oliver was already running towards its head. With a jump, he plunged his swords into the back of the viper's head, the sword cutting through it easily. 

The viper screeched and thrashed around until its eyes dulled, and fell over dead. Oliver removed the blade and rushed towards the other. It was expecting him and let go of Draco so it could defend against Oliver. Its tail swiped across and ripped through the air. Oliver ducked under it and then leaped forward, running his blades against the viper's belly.

Although its scales were tough, nothing could compare to the sharpness of a dragon fang. The belly of the viper split, and hot blood spilled out. The viper hissed and struck out, trying to remove Oliver's head. Oliver jumped to the side and sliced its face. He jumped up, using his swords to ladder himself up to the top of its head, and stabilized himself against one of its horns. The serpent tried to shake him off, but Oliver quickly stabbed downward and sunk his blade into its skull. 

He jumped off and rushed to the next one. Draco swiped the drake away and growled at Oliver. 

Oliver smirked. "I'll stay clear of your feet. Just don't set me on fire."

Draco huffed and turned his attention back to the drake. 

Oliver moved to his next opponent and sliced through its scales. At the same time, Draco wrapped his jaws his mouth around the drake's neck and crushed it. The drake thrashed about and tried to resist. It soon stilled and crumpled to the ground. Draco let go of it and raised his head into the sky to let out an earth-shattering roar. 

More beasts were coming, so Draco flapped his powerful wings and took off into the sky, disappearing into the stormy night.

Oliver had killed the last of the horned vipers and turned his attention back to the oncoming creatures. 

He started manipulating the water around him again, creating long sharp spears. While he was gathering his magic, Draco dove into the stampede.  He opened his maw, and his red and black flames consumed the creatures. When the fire started to dwindle, Oliver launched his own attack. His ice spears plugged into the animals that escaped Draco's fire.

He heard snarls flanking him, and he turned, but a cinderwolf was already snapping toward him. A bright shield materialized in front of him, and the wolf slammed into it. 

A figure with a blade in hand sliced its neck. Gallio and Savvi joined the fray. He turned and saw Quincey cut down another wolf on Oliver's other side. The army had gathered behind him with their weapons out.

"Where's Draco?" Savvi asked.

Oliver pointed to the clouds. Draco broke through the darkness and twisted in the air. The darkness of the storm still obscured him, but Oliver would always be able to sense him. Draco glided low to the ground, and another fire swallowed the remaining creatures.

Draco flipped in the air and landed next to them. Oliver ran his hand against Draco's smooth scales, enjoying the heat radiating from him. Draco nuzzled him and then returned to his human form. Oliver took his cloak and wrapped it around his shoulders. Aris approached the group and bowed, handing a bag to Draco. Draco looked inside and laughed at the clothes packed for him. He quickly dressed under the cloak. 

The plains were quiet, and the rains slowed to a drizzle. The clouds were trying to scatter, and the rising sun started peeking through the horizon. The black sky lightened into a euphony of blues and greys.

"Fuck. Did you already finish it?" Gallio pouted as he observed the charred ground.

Oliver shook his head. "I fear this is the beginning."

As if to answer him, a war horn echoed in the distance. Past the curtain of rain, they could make out a large army approaching them.

Oliver and Draco stood hand in hand in the rain as they waited for the next wave.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.7K 5.4K 90
"He was once mine but then I lost him. I couldn't protect him even as I had vowed to do. But, I brought him back to life. Now, he is reborn and so is...
3.4K 199 48
"I, Kardian Heil Romanoff, Reject you, Carlson Bynjamin as my mate" You did the right thing You did the right thing I did the right thing.... What b...
2.8M 81.9K 37
"Your mine Don't you get it? I live for you. I would die for you...I would kill for you" ************************************************* Oliver has...
8.2K 322 18
Oliver Smith. A typical teenage boy with a strict father stuck in tradition. Sam Williams. The town "bad guy" or so they think. Sticking with his sm...