A Ghost's Wish [MxM]

Door Hopestrife

[COMPLETED] Oliver Kardos was the General of Bierze and Guardian of the Realms. He had dedicated his life to... Meer

1. A Ghost
2. A Ghost's Request
3. A Ghost's Parade
4. Anima Wish
5. A Wish
6. A Ghost Returns
7. An Insulting Proposal
8. A Ghost Becomes a Trainee
9. An Informant
10. A Ghost, a Priest, and a Thief Walk Into Bar
11. An Old Foe
12. An Alibi
13. A Ghost Wrapped in Mystery
14. An Expected Invitation
15. A Spar
16. A Ball
17. A Break Up
18. A Confrontation in the Gardens
19. A Farewell
20. A Brawl
21. A Threat
22. A Battle
23. A Welcome Home
24. A Rescue
25. A Dream
26. A King
27. A Guest
28. A Prisoner
29. A Breakdown
30. A Vision
31. Moonlight
32. A Nest
33. A Roar
34. A Wyvern
35. A Dragon King
36. A Request to Leave
37. A Threat
38. A Conference
39. A Motive
40. A Night [M]
41. A Brand
42. A Summons
43. A Skirmish
44. Guarded
45. Choices
46. A Visitor
47. A Golden Cage
48. An Old Friend
49. An Heir
50. A Rucrean King
51. Reunited
52. A Traitor
53. Terms of Surrender
54. A Guardian
55. Desire [M]
56. An Attack
57. A Monster
59. Four Generals
60. An Explosion
61. A Stampede
62. War
63. An End
64. A Ghost's Wish [End]
Epilogue

58. A Messanger

7K 457 142
Door Hopestrife

The start of summer ushered in a new war.

The armies of Wynter, Rucrea, Osmela, and Abrorg gathered and set up camp in the plains of Osmela. They had encountered a few skirmishes but nothing to the extent Oliver was used to. However, they finally gathered their army and marched toward Bierze.

Oliver had returned to this timeline a little over a year ago but had already changed the perception around him. However, no one truly expected that the Duke's son would be able to acclimate to army life so well. He never slept in a tent and joined the men in their chores. Although he had garnered the respect of the soldiers, this solidified his position as Guardian. Now the soldiers of all nations looked up to him with fevered reverence.

Oliver and Draco sat on the ground, leaning against each other. Oliver closed his eyes, taking a few moments to rest after spending nearly 48 hours awake. Morris had appeared next to Oliver, but Oliver didn't need to open his eyes to know who had approached.

"Report," he said lazily.

"Ravagers are approaching the camp. At least fifty."

Oliver opened his eyes and frowned. "Leave one alive for questioning. If there is a hint of magic, retreat immediately."

Morris saluted and took off into the darkness. The night soon echoed with the cries of the dying. The noises still alarmed the young soldiers. 

However, a strange wind blew, and Oliver suddenly jumped to his feet with his swords drawn. Draco had stood with him, peering out into the dark plains where the wind originated. A flash of magic lit up in different areas in the distance. Oliver and Draco glanced at each other and took off in different directions.

At the same time, Oliver yelled out. "Defensive positions. Priests, raise your shields!"

The troops moved quickly, obeying his commands. However, Oliver did not linger to examine their formations. He saw a few more magical attacks light up the sky where he was heading. He pulled a horn from his belt and blew into it, calling for a retreat and praying that his men already took off.

He felt relieved when he saw a few of his assassins running toward him, but they still had fear etched in their expressions.

"Guardian! Run!" They called out.

Oliver could see several Ravagers chasing them, magic fluctuating in their hands. Oliver had already gathered his own magic, and with a flick of his hand, large ice spears materialized and rushed toward the pursuers.

Two couldn't block the attack and were impaled by the ice, but three others could block it with their earth magic.

"Go!" Oliver yelled at his men, who faltered.  They gritted their teeth and returned to the camp, trusting that their Guardian could protect himself.

Oliver pulled out his reforged swords and approached the first Ravager. The man did not expect him to attack head-on and couldn't react in time. He tried to pull out his sword to block Oliver's attack, but in the end, he could only look on helplessly as Oliver's sword cut through his neck.

Oliver moved to the next one, but a wall of earth stopped his blade. Oliver cursed and kicked it roughly, the magic flowing down to his feet. When his foot made contact with the wall, it instantly froze. Oliver spun, and his swords shattered the wall. Oliver lunged forward, and his swords pierced into the Ravager's chest.

Oliver felt the ground beneath him shake, and he jumped away in time to avoid falling into a pit the last Ravager had created.

Oliver admitted that he hated that magic was more powerful than in the past. Fighting with swords and spears was a lot more manageable than magic. His senses were on overdrive.

He steadied himself and rushed towards the last Ravager; however, he altered his path by throwing himself sideways. Another Ravager appeared, and unlike the other three, this one shot a ball of fire toward him.  Oliver flinched as he felt the heat from the blast. He was about to jump out of the way, but a second magician attack launched an attack toward him at the same time. He waved his arms, and a wall of ice blocked the attack.

After he felt the attacks collide with his shield, he swiped his arm, and the ice cracked into thin circular plates. He flicked his fingers, and the discs flew toward his enemies. 

The fire Ravager could dodge them, but the last earth Ravager cried out as a thin ice disc lodged into his stomach. He fell over while coughing blood.

Oliver didn't stop moving. He felt another fire attack, and he jumped out of the way. He twisted his body and forced his last remaining ice discs to attack the Ravager. 

The Ravager had to pull out his sword and block the attack.  He was pushed back and lowered his stance before launching himself at Oliver. 

Oliver parried the attack and turned, forcing the Ravager to become unbalanced.  He lowered his body and spun, kicking the legs from under the Ravager, making him fall heavily on his back. Oliver gripped his swords tighter and stabbed into the man's body, watching him tense and then fall limp.

Yells from the west told him that more Ravagers were approaching.  He watched at least a dozen men rushing to his location.  Oliver focused on his magic, and when the men were within a comfortable range, Oliver stomped on the ground. Ice blossomed from under his foot and spread towards the Ravager. A sheet of ice covered the ground, and the Ravagers couldn't keep their balance.  They became clumsy and slipped. Their rage had turned to fear, especially when they saw Oliver running towards them, stepping gracefully on the surface that eluded them.

On the other side, Draco fought fiercely with his spear. With every turn, another man died.

However, a fire wielder found a hole in his defenses and attacked with a large sphere of fire.

The Ravager cheered inwardly as Draco made no move to block it. However, Draco raised his hand and intercepted the fire attack, making it fizzle out.  The Ravager's heart seized.

Draco chuckled. "You wanted to play with fire in front of a dragon?"

He pointed a finger towards the Ravager, and with a malicious grin, he said, "Burn."

A red and black flame sparked from his finger and flew like an arrow. The Ravager remained stunned in place until the flame hit him. He didn't have time to scream before his body erupted in flames, and he died.

The Ravagers had stopped when they saw this, but the moment of hesitation spelled their doom. They had no other chance to run away.

The allied soldiers remained in the center of the two battles, protected by the priests' shields. They watched with equal parts fear and awe as one battle threatened to freeze them down to the bone while the other blasted them with unbearable heat.

Instead of protecting the army from any Ravager attacks, the priests adjusted their shields to protect them from the magic of their Guardian and Dragon King.

Draco and Oliver returned to the camp at the same time. Both were dragging a Ravager behind them.

The captive in Oliver's hands was shivering, and his legs were blackened from frostbite. The one Draco held was missing an arm. They met halfway, and Draco reached out, took one of Oliver's braids in his hand, and kissed it.

"Any injuries?" He asked tenderly. The blood and carnage were soon forgotten. 

Oliver shook his head. "Nothing concerning." He looked past Draco and examined his captive and the trail of blood that followed them. "I don't think yours will live much longer."

"We have Gallio. He can keep him alive and make him speak."

Oliver flinched a little when he thought about it. How many of his men in his past life did they keep alive and forced to speak? Draco seemed to understand his concern. "Gallio uses a truth serum he has developed. There is no torture."

Oliver bowed his head with a bit of shame. "I know I shouldn't worry about these things. We were at war."

Draco caressed his cheek. "Every soldier we questioned always commented on how much they admired their Guardian. You care for your people, which is one of the characteristics I love about you."

Oliver leaned into his palm with a smile.

"Stop fucking flirting!" Gallio's annoyed voice broke through their moment. "Seriously, both of you are dragging around half-dead men, but you still have to stop and flirt."

He stormed up to the both of them, dragging two other priests with him. The priests took the captives and moved them toward the camp for questioning.

"What do you want to know?" Gallio asked with a huff.

"Locations, attack plans, Yonsu," Draco said with a shrug.

"Their magical forces, too," Oliver added.

Gallio nodded and went back with the others. He grumbled a few harsh words about how married couples were defiling the sanctuary of the battlefield.

Oliver chuckled. "Was he always like that?"

"Worse. Bitter old bastard."

Oliver and Draco found a place to rest again; however, they could only shut their eyes for less than half an hour. They were jolted out of their sleep when the camp shook with an explosion of magic. The priests hastily blocked the backlash of the magic. Oliver and Draco got up and followed the flow of magic to find Gallio and several other priests looking miserable.

"Self-destructed?" Oliver asked after confirming that everyone was okay and that they only suffered superficial wounds. In the center of the camp was a small crater where a human once knelt. 

"One has. We stopped the other in time," He nodded toward a figure being sealed by holy magic. "We should meet with the others."

They gathered under a makeshift tent shortly and felt apprehensive when they saw the dark look on Gallio's face as he dragged the man with frozen limbs inside the tent with them.

Gallio sat down heavily. "We got nothing important so far. They only talked about fucking fairytales."

Oliver felt his stomach sink and glanced at the shivering figure in front of Gallio.

Imran sighed. "What did they say so far? Perhaps we can glean some information from that."

"They babbled about prophecies and wishes." Gallio's face was dark. "They also mention that this will be the second thirty-year war, and they will be victorious again.

"Thirty-year war? The last prolonged war in our history was the Endless War." Imran murmured.

Aris and Castor glanced at Oliver but lowered their eyes before they were caught.

"Can we hear it from him?" Oliver asked as he motioned towards the Ravager.

Gallio nodded and flicked his fingers. A seal from the man's mouth was undone, and he coughed heavily.

Oliver slowly walked up to him and kneeled so he could look him in the eye. "Do you know me?"

"He calls you Ghost," the Ravager said with a grin that was practically senile. "The one who haunts the battlefield. The one who cannot stay in his grave."

So, Yonsu had told his Ravagers about their past life.

Oliver smiled, but it did not reach his eyes.  "Well, he had tried terribly hard to kill me, so I am sure he is disappointed."

"You will die again, a worse death than before."

"I'm sure. What else has he told you about me?" Oliver asked lightly, not caring about the threat.

"Await the messenger," The Ravager laughed chillingly and then coughed up blood. His face turned ghostly white, and he fell over dead.

The night passed in solemn silence. Oliver and the others stayed awake, ill at ease. Finally, Oliver stood up and started to saddle his horse.  Draco was next to him and started to do the same without questioning him.

Aris approached them and saluted. "Do you wish me to accompany you?"

Draco shook his head. "Guard the camp."

"If you're going, so are we." Savvi's bitter voice sounded behind them. They turned to see Gallio, Savvi, and Quincey with their horses.

Oliver sighed, knowing that his secrets would be revealed to them, but he didn't want to turn them away. "Savvi, scout the road for us. Everyone else, be on guard."

He jumped on his horse and started to lead their small party as the sky began to brighten with the dawn.

Savvi had returned to them and reported that it was clear and only five Ravagers were waiting for them. When they approached the Ravagers, Oliver's mood instantly fell. The bastards were standing in the same spot Antony had died. 

This meeting place a mockery of his loss.

They dismounted and met the Ravagers. The Ravager in the center was very different from the others. He was tall but thin. However, a dangerous aura permeated from him.

Oliver felt a hot killing intent next to him and turned towards Draco.

"Draco?" He called out.

Draco pulled him to the side and pressed his forehead against Oliver's. "I know this man," he whispered.

"The attack on Rucrea?" Oliver asked.

Draco sighed and lowered his voice so only Oliver could hear him. "When I heard that they were going to attack, I raced home... but was too late.  I found him standing in the center of the destroyed temple, laughing with the temple keeper's blood on his hands... Forgive me if I am irrational."

Oliver smiled and placed a soft kiss on his lips. "If you happen to kill him, then I will kill his guards."

Draco smiled and nodded his agreement.

Their mood was slightly lighter as they reached the Ravagers. The thin one bowed low. "My name is Dorbei, the King's advisor. I humbly greet the infamous Ghost."

Oliver ignored the curious glances of his comrades. "What message do you have for us?"

"My King would have come himself, but he is still suffering from his wounds."

Oliver didn't answer and crossed his arms over his chest, showing impatience.

Dorbei smiled wryly. "We dared to hope for a peaceful moment with you and ask if you truly wish to wage war."

Oliver pursed his lips. "We did not start this war."

Dorbei's smile split wider. "That's where you are wrong, dear Ghost. Your interference started this war... Now you will face the army you once trained and protected. So, I will rephrase my initial inquiry... Did you wish to kill the men you used to call comrades?"

The air temperature dropped around Oliver. The mere thought wounded him. He had raised so many Bierzen soldiers, and now he had to face them on the battlefield.  His soldiers were now his enemy. "No, I don't. So how about you tell your king to meet me in battle? One on one."

"You know we will never comply."

"Then I guarantee you will suffer more when we go to war."

A laugh escaped Dorbei's lips. "How strange it must be for you to stand on the other side of the battlefield. Enemies and allies have flipped. You have killed so many people, and I wonder how it feels to be standing amongst your victims."

Oliver felt the sickening feeling of the truth of this question. But they are living different lives now.

"The world has changed, Dorbei. This is not the war that we know," Oliver said with a shake of his head.

"Yes, there have been many changes we have not anticipated, thanks to your actions. You truly went back on your word."

Oliver's jaw clenched. "I fulfilled my side of the bargain. He should have no complaints."

Oliver could feel the tense surprise from his allies next to him.

"You cheated," Dorbei complained with a sneer. "It was his wish to make."

Oliver shook his head. "It was never his. In the end. It was his loss and my luck."

Dorbei looked angry and clicked his tongue disdainfully. "Fine... setting the matter of wishes aside; think of the benefits. The world we live in, especially now, is abundant in magic. Imagine the great things we could accomplish for the continent with the dragon's heart resting in your chest."

Draco snarled, and his eyes turned malevolent. "You will not touch his heart."

Dorbei took a step back. "If you don't agree, then you're soldiers will die a tragic death again."

"They will have more peace in the halls of hell than under Yonsu's rule." Oliver retorted.

"You're being selfish, Ghost. Think about the consequences—one life for many!"

Oliver's glare turned cold. "Yonsu's words mean nothing to me.  He promised me peace. My death for peace. So where the fuck is my peace!?"

"Your death for peace? Unfortunately, you're alive. You stole my king's wish, and you breached your part of the original deal. There is a debt that must be paid by your death. We will collect what is owed."

Oliver threw Dorbei to the ground, tightened his hand around his neck, and watched him panic and claw at his hand desperately. 

Oliver shook with anger. "I gave my life already! I was bled dry in the middle of the goddamn streets! I died the way he wanted me to! Yet, he dares to beg for my death again?"

Dorbei's mouth opened and closed desperately, only able to give a strained whimper.

"Fuck your deal. The only thing I will give him is slaughter. You'll soon find out that the Ravagers crawled out of their caves only to fall to their graves." 

Oliver laughed as he released the Ravager. His eyes narrowed and bore into Dorbei. "You have only heard the stories that Yonsu spun... but in this war, I shall show you Ravagers why they have named me Ghost."

Dorbei coughed and turned a glare toward Oliver. "You'll regret not killing me, Ghost."

Oliver smiled toward Draco for a moment, and then turned back to Dorbei. "You're not my prey."

•••••• A/N••••••

Hello!  Thank you for sticking with me. 

Just to give you all a heads up, I have been rewriting many of my chapters before I release them because I want to give you the best version of this story.  Unfortunately, that makes me miss my 9:00 PM PST goal to publish chapters. I will still be releasing daily, but I gave up trying to rush it so I can focus on the quality. 

We are getting closer to the end (I'm still finishing up the last chapters - eeek - so I can't tell you how many are remaining yet).  There will be a little more battle scenes, so if you are more of a romance lover, please bear with me. 

Thank you so much for being a part of this journey with me. I am humbled by how quickly this story took off. I would never have the courage to publish my stories without amazing readers like you. So thank you so much for everything! ❤️

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

283K 16.9K 110
"Sit on my lap." He commands, sliding the chair back a fraction. My mind tangles into a mess of thoughts and astonishment, "Pardon me?" He pats his k...
4.9K 574 43
❦ WINNER OF THE RIVETING WRITING CONTEST ❦ OLIVER IS DYING With only months left to live at just seventeen, Oliver spends his remaining days of endle...
439K 27.9K 51
The battle is won, but the war is far from over. With his new powers on the loose, Oliver must find balance between good and evil - before the world...
176 19 8
Giants have returned. The kingdom has been overthrown by a mysterious desert man. And war is imminent. The classic tale of a princess who was never s...