Subconsciously Flawed | Gensh...

By miranwri

Moriyama Mitsuki, an intelligent, powerful, and manipulatively egotistical man, and yet also a kind, agreeabl... More

00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24

25

182 9 2
By miranwri

(A/N: This book is now complete. Thank you for reading book one of Subconsciously Flawed. Much love to my readers and voters.)

In the Waking Storm's last breaths, they witnessed their most cherished friend perish. Anguished and at the mercy of her sister, they used the remaining energy in them to scream and question her for cutting them down.

"I was just protecting her! Why?! Why did you stop me?!"

Both were grieving, but she remained quiet upon looking down at their weakened, crumbling body.

"She told you one simple rule. You are not to fight, even in circumstances like these. She would not have wanted to see you go like that."

They didn't begin to process her reasoning, eyes fixated on the lifeless body belonging to their friend. For the first time they shed tears that ran along cracked skin, and let out the desperate wish for her to live through countless wails of questioning why it had to be her. Her sister, as if taking pity on them, sat down beside the Waking Storm to comfort them. Even as her own heart suffered the wrath of her own grief, she sought to ease them in their last breath.

Their faces were so similar, identical even, and yet they couldn't look at it any longer without feeling something sinister. A newfound desire to dry the life out of her for failing to protect her own blood, and for striking them down before they could sacrifice everything for her.

If they had the chance, they would want to ruin anything this god wanted to protect.

Alas, they say the Waking Storm faded that day, crumbling away and merging with the earth itself, leaving behind only a book of unknown origin which was said to have been lost, or rather left behind purposely to stand the test of time.

For the first time in her life, she finally felt relief.

Kokomi had finally managed to lead her men and believers against those who hunted down visions, and even retaliated against the Shogun herself. She felt like her efforts only played a small in ending the war, but she was exhausted regardless. Being able to end the days of mourning over the potential lives she could lose was more than good enough for her.

She worked tirelessly on taking requests and thinking of her own suggestions for what rules to lay down to the Shogunate when they next have their peace talks. With such extensive research into the law, books and papers began to pile up on her desk again, yet she still sighed in relief when she reminded herself it was nearly over.

With the little spare time she had, she written a letter. Unrelated to the peace talks and unrelated to her army. Her mind was filled to the brim with a new worry now, one she had set aside completely to focus on the war.

How was he?

"Your Excellency."

A sudden knock came at her door, causing her to tense up. She had not been bothered for quite some time, a peace she wasn't accustomed to yet, but her mind raced with potential threats that deluded her. With a shake of her head as if to clear her silly mind, she allowed the person entry.

When her general walked through the door, her tension eased slightly before she noticed the look on his face. It was slightly sour, but clear he was trying to hide it.

"Is something wrong?"

"No," he said, not entirely lacking in sincerity, "Mitsuki has brought Hana back to us."

"Hana!" Kokomi exclaimed her name in a mixture of surprise and relief, "Oh, we must quickly locate and notify the search parties that she has been found, and then—" she stopped her rambling upon realizing further what he said, "You said...Mitsuki did?"

"Yes."

"Is he here?" Her fingers subconsciously went to softly touch the letter.

"I didn't get to see him," Gorou admitted quietly, "Nobody did. Hana did tell us it was him though, and I don't think she had reason to lie."

"I see."

They both stayed quiet for a few moments, processing the fact that he was choosing not to return back to them. The air was suddenly thick heavy with a lingering feeling of bitterness.

"Is she alright?"

"I believe so," he assured, "She's been accommodated since she's arrived. I'm not good at reading people, Your Excellency but she seemed...upset."

"I think we can muster a guess as to why." She grimaced.

She could think of a million possibilities as to what happened on the journey here, but she was certain one thing remained constant throughout any of them. He had backtracked on his sentiments, wether from fear or resentment or some other unknown reason, and he no longer wanted contact with them.

And yet her fingers still tapped along the letter, thoughtful and pondering.

Gorou quickly left the room. Nothing much was left to be said about the situation, and he felt silly to stand in front of Her Excellency as if expecting her to break down every stupid reason for why Mitsuki was doing what he was. As if she held the answers for why they would not see him again. From his lack luster conversation with Hana upon her arrival, it did not appear that she knew either.

"What's wrong, General?" Fumiko strolled up beside him, a teasing smile on her face, "You just won a major war and saved tons of lives, and that's the expression you wanna make for your men?"

"Fumiko..." he recollected himself, "No, I'm happy about that. Overjoyed even."

"Then what is it?" Despite her asking, he had a sneaking suspicion she already knew.

"Were you listening to the conversation with Her Excellency and I?"

"Oh no," she shook her head, "I was just walking by. I would never spy on you guys intentionally."

"So you know then."

"Yeah. You know for the record, I never would've expected him to personally escort a kid back to Watatsumi Island, especially not the one who went missing."

"She knew him, he knew her," Gorou shrugged, "And he was probably worried about her getting kidnapped again."

"I heard about that. Did we ever discover who launched that attack and took her away?"

"No."

"Hm...I have a feeling Mitsuki might. And you know...that is extremely vital information."

Her tone sounded suggestive to personally seeking out Mitsuki themselves.

"What are you trying to say, Fumiko?"

"I'm saying aren't you and Her Excellency his friends? I don't get why you're giving those puppy dog eyes like he's gone forever. You can just go look for him."

He self consciously averted his gaze at her words and sighed.

"It's not what he wants though, clearly—"

"I wonder," She teased, "Whatever made him leave, it's probably hurting him to stay away from his only friends."

"Fumiko..."

"Look, promise you'll at least try to write him a letter? Maybe pass that suggestion onto Her Excellency too."

He knew she was trying to kindle a motivation to return their friend, uncharacteristically so since she insisted she hated the man. He didn't question it, returning the small smile she gave him to ease her concern.

"I'll think about it, alright?"

A golden traveler annoyedly grabbed one tail of their two tailed cape, wringing the rainwater out of it. Their floating companion emitted a small cry of discomfort, shaking her head and face clear of the water droplets.

"Paimon can't believe this, it had to start raining now? We were so close to the boats too!"

"Well this structure is the best cover we got for now," they murmured, "Maybe if we run the rest of the way, we can reach a boat."

"No way," Paimon groaned, "It's not worth getting drenched again, Paimon just wrung her hair!"

"Then hopefully this rain will let up soon." The traveler leaned against the structure for only a moment before letting out a heavy sigh, dragging their body down to the point they were on the floor.

Much happened over the course of time, and Traveler could still hardly believe they played part in saving a part of the region...again. Fighting an archon was a new experience, but all they wanted was to stop the war; it had promised them so many things after all.

Yae Miko had promised them a good reward, the name Moriyama Mitsuki coming to light. They didn't know who that was personally, but he was the second person they heard of that knew about the Abyss, that could pry into unknown corners of Inazuma and the rest of Teyvat if he had the time. The first...

Well they didn't really get his name, but wow he was rude.

Yae told them to head to Watatsumi Island to find him where they first met that man too. Maybe they were related in some way?

"Umm..."

Traveler snapped their head up to look at their floating companion, who seemed to nervously press her fingers together with hesitance.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Paimon said softly before floating closer to their side, "Paimon is just worried if you're okay."

"What do you mean?"

"Well...Fighting strong people and saving nations seems like it'll be pretty routine until we find your sibling," she tries to joke, but her eyes look concerned, "Paimon just can't tell if you get tired sometimes."

The traveler grinned and teasingly grabbed her cheek, cold and still faintly wet from the rainwater but squishy like a baby's, and pinching it softly. She squirmed away, prepared to scold them for not taking her seriously until she hears them laugh.

"I'm fine, Paimon."

"Hmph, you're lucky Paimon is letting that slide."

"I am extremely lucky." They affirm, fighting the urge to pinch her cheek again.

The light mood shifts when a boat pulls up beside them through the ruins of Fort Mumei. Traveler stands and moves themselves in front of Paimon cautiously watching for who might leave the boat. Golden eyes widened at the sight of the man leaving the boat. He looked like he was straining through his steps, and almost annoyed despite him being the one to come outside for them. But more importantly, they were sure that he was the very man they met on Watatsumi Island before.

"What're you doing here? ...And are you okay?"

"He looks like he's about to throw up," Paimon comments, "Wait, that's the rude scary man from before!"

He managed a chuckle despite his circumstances and nods.

"Yes, floating baby and her weird traveler friend, I know you longed to see me again."

"Actually, that isn't entirely wrong..." Traveler comments, "I wasn't coming to see you first, but you were definitely on the list. Anyways, since you're here...I've done what you've asked."

"I know." He says it through gritted teeth.

He had already heard that a golden haired traveler and their floating companion had helped stop the Decree and faced off against the Shogun from the rumors that spread around him during his aimless time without a vision, and from Yae herself. She had wanted him to do a favor for her for a certain person. They were probably it.

And as much as he hated to admit it, but they did follow through in his own request...

"Yae told me about you," he started, "We have not met last since I was on Watatsumi Island and still part of the Resistance." Traveler and Paimon exchanged glances, but let him continue, "I am Moriyama Mitsuki, if you still had not known."

"Oh," Traveler raised their brows, "I thought that was a different person. You were part of the Resistance and knew Yae as well?"

"That depends on how you define knowing someone," he quickly moved on, "That is not the point here though, right? I owe the both of you a favor, and I have a personal matter that needs me to absolutely rid of any and all debts."

"...Can we trust this guy, Traveler? Paimon whispers, "Yae said we could but..."

"I can hear you," Mitsuki clicked his tongue, letting out a heavy sigh as he looked up to face the dark and cloudy sky, droplets of water landing on his lenses, "I really do hate the rain, so make your decision quick. It would save me the time and regret if you said no."

Traveler glanced at Paimon and motioned her to follow with a tilt of their head before brushing past Mitsuki and entering his boat, giving him an almost smug look on the way. He laughed at how ridiculous it was, pulling over just because he recognized them, but slowly followed suit after realizing he really did owe them a lot.

Only a little longer, he assured himself. He had to be amongst people for just a little longer before he could truly shut himself away. He had hoped that his newfound self restraint would last longer than it had before, but as he boarded the boat and watched as the Traveler and Paimon exchanged happy comments and conversation, trying to involve him in it despite his clear disregard, a mix of emotions swam through him. Whatever it was, he did not indulge in it. He would use all of his willpower to make sure the same mistakes of foolish self sacrifice and unanswered questions would not be made from his own faltering and weakness.

It wouldn't do to owe the Traveler twice.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

160K 4.4K 32
Five hundred years ago, they thought that she's one of the casualties alongside with her. The First Archon of Inazuma along with the deity who vows t...
35.8K 1.2K 38
𝐂𝐫𝐲𝐨 𝐕𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐨𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐝 𝐛𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐮𝐚𝐥𝐬. 𝐓𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐰𝐢𝐞𝐥𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩�...
38.6K 1K 20
[ARCHON-KIN CHILD READER] [GENDER NEUTRAL READER] The land of Inazuma is renowned of one of Eternity, with its borders being more than against lettin...