Waterworks (H2O Just Add Wate...

Da Fireleaves

After the death of her mother, Zoey Shaw moves with her father to the Gold Coast for a better change and scen... Altro

Note
Cast
Part I
1. Metamorphosis
2. Pool Party
3. Catch of the Day
4. Party Girls
5. Something Fishy
6. Ida's Secret (An Original Chapter)
7. Moon Spell
8. The Denman Affair
9. Dangerous Waters
10. The Camera Never Lies
11. Sink or Swim
12. The Siren Effect
13. Shipwrecked
14. Blue Moon (An Original Chapter)
15. The Big Chill
16. Lovesick
17. Under the Weather
18. Bad Moon Rising
19. Hurricane Angela
20. Hook, Line, and Sinker
21. Red Herring
22. Fish Out of Water
23. In Too Deep
24. Love Potion # 9
25. Dr. Danger
26. A Twist in the Tail
Part II
27. Stormy Weather
28. Control
29. The One That Got Away
30. Fire and Ice
31. Hocus Pocus
32. Pressure Cooker
33. In Hot Water
34. Wrong Side of the Tracks
35. Riding for a Fall
36. Missed the Boat
37. In Over Our Heads
38. Fish Fever
39. Moonwalker
40. Get Off My Tail
41. Irresistible
42. Double Trouble
43. Moonstruck
44. The Heat Is On
45. The Gracie Code Part One
46. The Gracie Code Part Two
47. And Then There Were Five
48. Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble
49. Reckless
50. Four's Company
51. Sea Change
52. Unfathomable
Part III
53. The Awakening
55. Keep Your Enemies Close
56. Rogue Tide (An Original Chapter)
57. Big Ideas
58. Secrets and Lies
59. Happy Families
60. Kidnapped
61. The Sorcerer's Apprentice
62. Revealed
63. Just a Girl at Heart
64. Crime and Punishment
65. To Have and to Hold Back
66. Mermaid Magic
67. Power Play
68. The Dark Side
69. A Magnetic Attraction
70. Into the Light
71. Breakaway
72. Queen for a Day
73. The Jewel Thief
74. Mako Masters
75. Beach Party
76. Too Close for Comfort
77. A Date With Destiny
78. Graduation

54. Jungle Hunt

566 16 16
Da Fireleaves

It was the first day of my final year of high school. I got myself up early to Skype Emma and send her an email before getting a move on. She and her family were in Copenhagen, noticing the canal and colorful buildings in a row. Emma had been taking online classes whenever she was in an area with awesome reception. 

"Have you tried any Danish rolls?" I asked leaning back in my comfy desk chair, "I hear they're to die for, especially where you're at."

"Oh, Zoey, you and sweets," Emma laughed, "Both of you make a great pair."

"Very funny. My grandpa wanted to know if you guys ended up in Denmark. You know 'im and his love for pastries."

"I didn't forget that one. I only had the one with cherries. Elliot couldn't resist the one with chocolate."

"I bet! Say Em, heard from Ash?"

"We contact each other once a week."

After the Juice-Net closed down, Ash headed back to work at the stables. He assured all of us that our secret was safe with him. 

"That's great. Bet he misses ya," I stated.

"He does," Emma nodded.

I had updated her on the events of the last full moon, the attack of the water tentacle, and meeting Bella. Emma found it all fascinating that there was another moon pool not just on Mako Island. She admitted that while in Ireland, she discovered a pool in the cliffs. I had a hunch that it was the moon pool Bella came across. Emma added that she offered to help in whatever she could to find out more about the water tentacle. Since she was still traveling, Emma would email me whatever info she found if she couldn't Skype me. 

"One of these days, I'll have to introduce you to Bella," I added.

"I'd like that. We'll still be here for a couple more days and then we'll be heading off to Norway," Emma informed me, "It might be hard to video chat while cruising through the fjords."

"Point taken."

The door knocked, "Zo, you about ready for school?" Dad called through.

"Yeah," I nodded and turned back to the laptop screen, "I gotta go. It's the first day of our final year of high school."

"That'll be exciting," Emma remarked, "Have you decided which university you're planning on going to after graduation?"

"I'm still not sure. At the same time, I don't wanna leave my dad, Fi, and grandparents."

"I know. I'm certain they want you to live your life. Whatever you decide, they'll back you up."

I received a couple of scholarships from a couple of universities, mainly Melbourne and Canberra since they had graphic design courses. A while back, I had developed an interest in graphic arts. Lewis had managed to help me find a design program for my laptop. I helped design posters and pamphlets for school and it impressed the teachers that some of them suggested that I get into a graphic designing business since I had a knack for digital art.

 On the side, I hoped to try and learn literature since finding out the universities had that course if I ever wanted to write a novel or more.

After learning about the university locations, it worried me that I was leaving my family behind, though I knew that I would always visit them whenever I had a break.

"Thanks, Em," I smiled at her.

"I'll let you go, Zoey," Emma nodded at me, "I don't wanna make you late for school. I'll let you know when we're either in Oslo or Bergen and we can chat then."

"Ok, I'll tell the others that you said 'hey'."

"Thanks."

After shutting off Skype, I made sure that I had what I needed for school before heading out.

"Heard you talking in there," Dad commented as I arrived in the main room and kitchen, "Was it Em?"

"Yep," I nodded as Grandma handed me a breakfast plate, "I got up early to talk with her."

"How is she?" Grandma wondered.

"She's doing well. She and her folks are in Copenhagen."

"Did they eat any Danish rolls?" Grandpa perked up on hearing it.

"They did. Em told me Elliot couldn't get enough of the one with chocolate," I grinned, "Though I'm certain their parents are gonna have him refrain from having any chocolate for a while."

"Reminds me of my addiction to black licorice," Dad chuckled.

"It turned your tongue and lips black," Grandma turned to him smiling as if recalling the memory.

"I didn't know you were hooked on that stuff," I glanced at Dad as I ate my breakfast.

"I was a tacker. About four or five at the time," he pointed out.

"Does Fi know about it? If not, better tell her before the last minute."

"She already knows. Fi has an addiction to the smell of eucalyptus."

"So that's what I keep smelling in her car! Plus, eucalyptus has a calming effect on people who are stressed easily."

"Too right," Grandma nodded, "I find it to be refreshing."

That second, the doorbell rang. I excused myself to answer it. On opening the door, I saw that it was Bella. I had given her my address since she was still new to the Gold Coast if she decided to drop by the house.

"Hey Bells," I smiled at her, "Set for school?"

"Yep," she nodded.

"Is it one of the girls, Zoey?" Grandma called out.

"Yeah, it's Bella," I replied.

"The new Emma," Grandpa remarked.

Due to the pain medication he had to take, Grandpa sometimes got confused. When I introduced Bella to him, Grandpa got her mixed up for Emma. It would take a while for him to know who's who.

"Sorry about my grandpa," I apologized to Bella, "He's on some meds that makes him loopy."

"Oh, no worries," she shrugged.

Grandma took to Bella at once after meeting her. On learning that her parents were often preoccupied with their jobs and that she didn't have any close friends due to moving a lot for her dad's job in hotel management, Grandma let Bella know she was welcome to drop by the house at any time. I let Bella know of Grandma's awareness of our secret and that she wouldn't repeat it to anyone. 

🌊

Bella and I met up with Cleo, Lewis, and Rikki on the way to school. Cleo expressed to all of us about her worries since the water tentacle attack and that she went back to avoiding the water like she was before we changed.

"You can't be scared of water your whole life," Rikki stated as we arrived at the school grounds.

"Ah, tell that to the water tentacle," Cleo remarked sarcastically.

"Well, I thought we agreed that it was only a full moon," Lewis pointed out.

"No, you agreed on that."

"Yeah, well, try and get it out of your mind. Concentrate on your final year."

"I don't think trying to get it out of our thoughts works that way," I shook my head correcting Lewis.

"I like the look of this place," Bella smiled glancing at the school grounds and building.

"Yeah? Give it a week," Rikki told her.

"Hey, Bella. Looks like you're not the only newbie," Lewis looked ahead to see Will walking alongside one of the teachers who was showing him around.

"Oh, Will's starting here, too," Bella beamed happily seeing that she wasn't the only one new to the area.

"Hey, do you reckon he remembers anything from the moon pool?" Cleo wondered.

"Doesn't matter. The less we see of him, the better," Rikki replied feeling unsure about Will, and turned to head for her locker.

"Come on," I nudged Bella, "We'll show you around."

Cleo, Lewis, and I ended up giving Bella a tour of the school. Still, I knew what being new to a whole new city and country felt like. Bella seemed to feel better about having a group of friends who looked out for her.

🌊

During parts of the day, Will had approached me about that night a few weeks prior. He had talked with Rikki wanting to ask her how all of us got into the cavern, but she refused to tell him anything. I could tell he wanted to find out what had happened and what he had seen. I only told him that hardly anyone heads out to Mako Island.

The other girls and I talked about the issue. Bella came up with the idea to distract Will while the rest of us reexamined the moon pool. Plus, it was an opportunity to get some pics of it to send to Emma.

Later, the four of us met at the cafe after Bella approached Will and offered to guide him on Mako.

"And he didn't think it was sauce, you just inviting yourself along?" Cleo asked her.

"Why would he?" Bella shrugged.

"The fact that you've only just met," Rikki pointed out, "The fact that I was the only one he told he was going, and now suddenly you know all about it."

"He didn't mention it."

"Well, I think it's too risky. We don't know anything about him."

"That's the point."

"Maybe we should go with you and keep you company," Cleo suggested.

"Yeah," I agreed, "It's best in numbers. And besides, the jungle is tricky to trek through if you don't know which way to go."

"No thanks," Bella shook her head, "I'll be fine on my own." She rose from her seat, "See ya." Bella headed for the exit.

"Bye," Cleo and I glanced at her as she left.

"You really think she can do this?" Rikki turned to us.

"Sure," Cleo replied, "Why not?"

"I wish I could be that sure."

"Maybe we should follow her incognito," I suggested, "I mean, give her a hand if she absolutely needs it."

"Not a bad idea Zo," Rikki agreed with me.

🌊

When Saturday came around, I was up early. I met up with Cleo, Lewis, and Rikki on Mako just before Bella swam ashore and waited for Will who soon arrived by boat. I hoped to get it all done fast since Fiona and I made plans to spend the afternoon together.

Rikki and I watched from behind some covering as Bella led Will in the opposite direction. Cleo and Lewis approached us from the side.

"What?" Rikki remarked softly as she was startled.

"I thought you didn't approve of this," Cleo stated.

"I don't. I'm worried about Bella."

"Yeah, with good reason," Lewis nodded, "She's leading him in the wrong direction."

"That's the point," Cleo turned to him, "Now, we get to check out the moon pool." She glanced at Rikki and me, "We'll leave you both to it."

While Cleo and Lewis headed in the direction of the cavern, Rikki and I quietly followed Bella and Will at a discreet distance. On watching them from behind one of the trees, I glanced up and saw that we were underneath a golden orb spider's web. I tapped Rikki's shoulder to let her know of the spider itself. So we both moved on without disturbing it. Even though the golden orb wasn't poisonous, I still steered clear of anything with eight legs.

Will and Bella came upon a river. Unfortunately, there was no path across it, especially for Bella without getting wet. While Will hiked across and was out of sight, Bella used her power to form a solid gelatin pathway. I held my breath as she took one step at a time. Just then. the weight of the backpack she was carrying caused her to fall into the water. Before her tail sprouted, Bella managed to drag the hiking backpack ashore. Will called out for her as she hid herself behind some rocks.

I glanced behind me hoping Rikki would arrive and dry off Bella before Will noticed anything peculiar. Thankfully, my best friend caught up with me. While Rikki went over to Bella, I kept an eye on Will who still called out for her in concern.

Once Bella's legs came back, the three of us approached Will from behind.

"Hey," Bella grinned.

"What are you two doing here?" Will wondered once seeing Rikki and me.

"I asked them to come." 

"Why?"

"Hey, any excuse to come and hang out in a bug-infested jungle," Rikki remarked sassily.

"Neither of us had anything better to do," I shrugged my shoulders.

"Where did you go to before?" Will asked turning to Bella.

"I got a bit wet, so I went and dried off," she replied.

"So, why didn't you answer when I called?"

"Oh, were you calling me? I was, like, way back in the jungle."

Will gave Bella an expression that made me think he wasn't buying it. Though he seemed to let it slide.

"Well, that's-- that's solved then," Rikki shrugged, "So what's next?"

"I'm still looking for that cave entrance," Will answered.

"Which is this way," I pointed in the other direction.

"Bella said it was on the other side of the island. And that's, um, that's this way, right?" Will pointed the other way.

"Absolutely," Bella nodded.

"No, I don't think so," Rikki frowned at her.

"You said you couldn't remember where it was," Will started walking, "Are you coming?"

"Could you take the backpack, Rikki?" Bella asked before heading to catch up with Will.

I saw that the backpack was partially in the water. Rikki used her power to dry it off. My best friend had me follow Bella and Will while she dealt with the hiking backpack. To make sure Rikki knew where we were, I discreetly used my power and caused some small flowers to bloom, forming an arrow informing her which way to go.

I overheard Will and Bella's conversation as I trekked a couple of feet behind them. Will told Bella that he had followed some fish into the cavern expressing that he got sea creatures better than people. I guessed he was kind of shy. Will also added that he was a free diver and could hold his breath for some time which I found impressive. Patrick started taking diving lessons after learning about the secret so he could join me underwater without having to use scuba gear.

Will explained that he was normally careful of where he dove and added that he saw a shimmer which I figured led him to the moon pool and into the cavern. Bella admitted to him that it was her first year and that it often took a while to settle in. Will expressed that he had been home-schooled for most of his life and that his parents lived on a yacht. Bella told him that she and her parents lived in various countries and she didn't stay in school long enough to make any friends. I almost could relate to her. There were times during the school year when I traveled with Mom and Dad to different parts of the world, mainly visiting Grandma and Grandpa. I had to make sure I was caught up with my schoolwork and grades.

🌊

The four of us ended up near the creek, which had the opening to the cavern. I knew Will was wanting to get some form of closure of his strange experience with the water tentacle. On the other hand, neither of us knew what it was capable of, other than attacking us. Cleo had told me that the water had come up from the drain. That confirmed to me that it was also capable of traveling through various water sources.

"I think this is just behind the edge of the crater," Will pointed out.

"Right," Bella nodded.

"So the entrance to the cave has got to be around here."

"It does?" Bella wondered but quickly corrected herself, "It does."

"What exactly are we looking for?"

"Um, some kind of opening in the ground. It was pretty dark when we found it--"

She was cut off when she fell into the cavern entrance. Will was facing the other way, not realizing what had happened. Rikki caught up with us at the moment.

"You must recognize something," Will stated thinking Bella was around. He glanced over at where she was last seen, "Bella?"

"Have you lost her again?" Rikki glared at him which I figured was from the weight of the backpack that was wearing her out.

"Down here!" Bella shouted from inside the cavern.

The three of us approached the opening making sure to watch our steps so that we didn't fall or sprain an ankle.

"You alright?" Will called out.

"Yeah," Bella replied.

"Well, what's it like down there?"

"It's too dark to tell. Big though."

"She found it," Will turned to Rikki and me.

"Great," Rikki fake smiled.

"Awesome," I acted excitedly.

"Don't worry, Bella. We'll get you out."

"I think I saw some rope in the bag," I pointed out to Rikki.

"Forget that. I'm going in," Will remarked feeling stoked.

"Are you okay down there," I called out to Bella, plus Cleo and Lewis regarding that they were at the moon pool, "Will's coming!"

Will slid into the cavern bumping into Bella. Rikki and I descended inside with a skid.

"Look out below!" Rikki shouted.

"Geronimo!" I hollered as we bumped into each other as Will and Bella moved to the side.

"Thank you for not breaking our fall."

"Much appreciated," I sassed as I hoisted myself back on my feet.

"Ok, pool ought to be behind there," Will walked further into the cavern.

"Yeah. That's right," Bella nodded.

Rikki frowned at her as if she weren't helping us keep Will from finding the moon pool.

"Is this amazing or what?" Will smiled as he found the stone stairway leading up there.

"Will! Be careful up there," Bella yelled as she, Rikki and I followed him upward.

On seeing Cleo and Lewis, we acted like we just ran into them. While Lewis kept Will busy, the other girls and I examined the wall in front of us seeing that it looked like a fountain built into it. I pulled out my phone and took a few pics of it.

"This was not here before," Cleo pointed out.

"It's definitely not what attacked me," Rikki shook her head.

"Guys, we need to work out what he remembers," Bella suggested.

"It may take time for him to recall it," I stated, "He might not remember it all from the blunt trauma."

"So is this what it looked like?" Rikki asked.

Will turned back to the rest of us, "I don't know." He approached the fountain wall, "It's not what was in my mind."

"What is in your mind exactly?" Bella wondered.

"Well, I only saw it for a moment."

He went silent, which I guessed he was having a flashback of that night.

"Waterfall was massive," he added.

"Yeah, and where was it?" Rikki nodded impatiently wanting a straight answer, "Because this is a tiny little trickle."

"Yeah, I know. But it-- it filled the whole place."

"Um, that's impossible," Lewis shook his head.

Like before, Will went quiet trying to collect his thoughts together.

"It felt alive," he continued, "And it had energy shooting out of it."

"What do you mean energy?" I wondered.

"It was flying through the air in all directions."

"That doesn't make any sense," Rikki turned to Will.

"There was a shape," Will approached the edge of the pool as if reliving the event, "In the pool." He once again went silent, "It seemed so real. I wanted to touch it." Will held his hand out and then jerked backward as if he had been hit by something.

"Are you okay?" Bella asked him.

"I don't know."

"You know what I think?" Rikki sassed, "I think you hit your head and you had a crazy dream."

"Rikki, I think--" Bella started but was cut off, "--you should--"

"You were delirious. You don't know what you saw."

"You think I imagined it?" Will asked sounding like no one believed him.

"Show me one thing in here that would make me think otherwise."

"Rikki--" Bella spoke up.

"Because it all looks pretty serene to me. And we were there too. Remember? Do you remember that? We didn't see anything. So go on. Show me," Rikki exclaimed angrily.

"That's enough."

I could tell it was Rikki's way to prevent Will from looking further and to guard our secret. 

"I-- I don't know," Will shook his head, "I need some fresh air."

He left the cavern at that moment. I approached the fountain wall for a better look at it and more pics to take.

"Are you happy now?" Bella snapped at Rikki.

"Look, it had to be done," Rikki remarked.

"Using him like that felt awful."

I saw the water expanding a bit as the others approached the wall. Cleo wasn't using her power that was for sure. I quickly took a couple of shots of what looked like a small-sized water tentacle.

"Guys! Behind you!" Lewis warned us.

I felt a pair of hands pull me back as the water tentacle limped and was no more.

"I'm guessing that's not normal," Bella pointed out.

After she left the cavern to catch up with Will, I opened the gallery on my phone and saw that I got a few pics of the small water tentacle as it formed. Emma was going to be surprised once she saw it all.

Lewis had no clue of what changed the cavern and moon pool. He apologized to Cleo for doubting her.

Cleo approached the flowing fountain wall as if piecing something together. She had Rikki and me stand next to her. Bella returned by herself. It confirmed to me that Will left the island. Cleo had her stand with us. That second, a water tentacle had formed. As it tried to reach its way out at us, we jumped backward, avoiding contact with it as it limped and was gone.

"It takes all of us to attract it," Cleo pointed out.

"It's gotta be related to the tentacle," Rikki stated.

"I agree."

"You might be on to something," Lewis nodded.

"Might?" Bella wondered.

"I think you guys should stay away from here."

"No," Cleo shook her head, "This is our place, and we're not going to be chased out of here by a leaky wall, right?" She turned to the rest of us.

I nodded in agreement along with them.

🌊

After getting back to the mainland, I was able to email the pics of the fountain wall to Emma along with a message explaining what had happened.

Fiona and I went up to Brisbane where we had a meal at one of her favorite restaurants and then walked around at one of the malls. 

I still had the events inside the cavern playing and rewinding in my mind. I wondered if Anahita knew about the fountain wall and water tentacle. I couldn't find her as I searched around Mako for her and Uiscue.

"Zoey, are you alright?" Fiona wondered giving me a concerned expression, "You look like you've got something on your mind."

"I'm alright," I nodded assuring her that everything was chill.

"No worries. I won't push it. I just wanna be there for you. Whenever you feel ready to talk, I'll always listen to what you have to say."

I smiled at Fiona sensing that she meant well.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerΓ  anche

13.5K 406 12
Everything was Normal until Niki spilled the secret that changed her life. This is a Mako Mermaids Fanfic! I hope you enjoy! Please vote on all of th...
31.7K 769 34
Madison was a sweet girl who loved everyone but what happens when her parents get divorced and her mom moves her and her siblings to australia. what...
28K 517 23
Erik is back, and he has a plan: to take all the moon ring stones and forge them into one huge stone to reopen the merman chamber on Mako Island. Si...
13.5K 568 22
Angel Starlight is a normal girl who gets an opportunity to go on a yacht for a project. Angel meets two girls, who turn out to be the ones she's par...