Waterworks (H2O Just Add Wate...

By Fireleaves

After the death of her mother, Zoey Shaw moves with her father to the Gold Coast for a better change and scen... More

Note
Cast
Part I
1. Metamorphosis
2. Pool Party
3. Catch of the Day
4. Party Girls
5. Something Fishy
6. Ida's Secret (An Original Chapter)
7. Moon Spell
8. The Denman Affair
9. Dangerous Waters
10. The Camera Never Lies
11. Sink or Swim
12. The Siren Effect
13. Shipwrecked
14. Blue Moon (An Original Chapter)
15. The Big Chill
16. Lovesick
17. Under the Weather
18. Bad Moon Rising
19. Hurricane Angela
20. Hook, Line, and Sinker
21. Red Herring
22. Fish Out of Water
23. In Too Deep
24. Love Potion # 9
25. Dr. Danger
26. A Twist in the Tail
Part II
27. Stormy Weather
28. Control
29. The One That Got Away
30. Fire and Ice
31. Hocus Pocus
32. Pressure Cooker
33. In Hot Water
34. Wrong Side of the Tracks
35. Riding for a Fall
36. Missed the Boat
37. In Over Our Heads
38. Fish Fever
39. Moonwalker
40. Get Off My Tail
41. Irresistible
42. Double Trouble
43. Moonstruck
44. The Heat Is On
45. The Gracie Code Part One
46. The Gracie Code Part Two
48. Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble
49. Reckless
50. Four's Company
51. Sea Change
52. Unfathomable
Part III
53. The Awakening
54. Jungle Hunt
55. Keep Your Enemies Close
56. Rogue Tide (An Original Chapter)
57. Big Ideas
58. Secrets and Lies
59. Happy Families
60. Kidnapped
61. The Sorcerer's Apprentice
62. Revealed
63. Just a Girl at Heart
64. Crime and Punishment
65. To Have and to Hold Back
66. Mermaid Magic
67. Power Play
68. The Dark Side
69. A Magnetic Attraction
70. Into the Light
71. Breakaway
72. Queen for a Day
73. The Jewel Thief
74. Mako Masters
75. Beach Party
76. Too Close for Comfort
77. A Date With Destiny
78. Graduation

47. And Then There Were Five

458 16 1
By Fireleaves

Ever since Charlotte found out about Gracie and Ida being close friends, she had been contacting me non-stop, even at school. It got Cleo, Emma, and Rikki concerned that I might've told Charlotte the deep details. I kept assuring them that I didn't say a word to her about Gracie and Ida being mermaids or of us for that matter. 

Right after finding some old footage of Gracie in her mermaid form, Charlotte texted me asking if Ida knew anything about her. I didn't have a straight answer for that. I just left it blank knowing the other girls would get at me for communicating with her.

The four of us sat side by side each other on the bench waiting for Lewis.

"There he is," Rikki pointed him out as he made an appearance.

"Hey, guys. What's up?" Lewis asked as Cleo opened her locker and pulled out the leather messenger bag that contained Max's research on Mako Island.

"You need to get rid of this," Cleo told him.

"That's all of Max's research. I'm not gonna rid of it," Lewis stated.

"Yes, you are," Rikki frowned at him, "Thanks to you, Charlotte's already seen a mermaid. We don't want her finding out anything else." She shoved the bag into Lewis' arms.

I could understand Charlotte wanting to gain some closure after learning a shocking secret about Gracie. Though I understood the other girls' worries about Charlotte potentially finding out about us. Yet again, I was stuck in the middle of it all: A girl wanting to learn more about her late grandmother after stumbling across some photos and footage of her. And my friends and I trying to keep our secret from getting out into the open.

"It wasn't my fault she found it," Lewis remarked.

"No. You're right. You know what? Why don't we just burn it?" Rikki suggested sarcastically and turned around, "Em?"

"I'm okay with that," Emma nodded sarcastically.

"Cleo? Zo?" Rikki turned to the rest of us.

Cleo shook her head while I didn't say anything.

"Guys, guys, guys, guys. I'm only halfway through it," Lewis explained, "They're highly valuable, detailed documents."

"About mermaids," Cleo whispered and glared at him, "Lewis, she can't find out about us."

"There's still so much to learn."

I could tell Lewis was itching to dig deeper into all of Max's notes and other documents. 

"It's too dangerous. It has to go," Emma suggested.

"Maybe just hand it back to Max," I spoke up, "Tell him someone else got too curious and stole some footage from it."

Lewis nodded at me and turned to the others, "OK. Ok. Why don't I just give it all back to Max, as Zoey suggested? It will be safe with him that way. OK?"

The girls and I left leaving Lewis on his own.

🌊

Charlotte had managed to catch me when I wasn't with the other girls. Like in her text, she asked me if Ida knew anything about Gracie being a mermaid. I only told her that the film was part of a filming thesis for future filmmakers after she showed me some of the printed photos from it.

After being reminded that it was a full moon, I recalled it was a school night and the other girls were planning a sleepover to watch over each other. I knew how vital it was to stick together on those nights, but I couldn't do it. I assured them that I had blackout shades that filled my room with advanced darkness when shut. Plus, Grandma would help make sure I wasn't in any room where the moonlight easily got in. And second, Lewis or one of the girls would call me to make sure I was alright.

The girls were also worried when they saw that Charlotte had talked with me. I assured them that I didn't tell her anything.

Before having to head back home and quarantine myself from the moonlight, I tagged along with the other girls for a quick swim and rested at the moon pool.

"Do you know what the best thing about being a mermaid is?" Cleo asked after the four of us surfaced.

"What?" I shrugged my shoulders.

"Going slow over the reef."

"Are you kidding?" Emma remarked, "Going fast is so much better."

"Listen to you two," Rikki pointed out, "You sound like you're on some corny TV commercial."

I shook my head smiling at my three best friends as we all laughed at our joke.

"It's getting late. We better get back," Emma reminded us.

"No, we've got time," Rikki sighed.

"Actually, I wanna call Lewis just in case we need his help," Cleo admitted to all of us, "You know with the moon."

"I should be getting back home myself," I informed the other girls, "Grandma might get worried if I'm not there before the moon rises."

"We'll make sure you'll get there in time, Zoey," Emma nodded at me. 

"Thanks guys."

🌊

The girls managed to escort me home after returning to the mainland. They promised to keep me up to date with what went on, even though I didn't care to get caught up in any of their dramas.

After dinner, Lewis contacted me informing me that Charlotte had followed him when he went to return Max's research. The elderly man revealed everything about Gracie to her after learning Charlotte was the granddaughter of the love of his life. I didn't blame him for that. The other girls were upset about it. Lewis added that he couldn't find or contact Charlotte after not hearing back from her. 

"Is everything okay, sweetheart?" Grandma asked as she shut the window blinds in the living room.

"Just hoping everyone pulls it together," I nodded after closing up my phone.

When I mentioned to her about Max, Grandma revealed that she had known him since he was one of Ida's friends and when they were younger, he was a science geek, like Lewis. She told me that he had been in a relationship with Gracie but she ended up breaking up with him. Max remained single for the majority of his life, never forgetting about Gracie. Grandma never knew how it happened, but was aware that it ended. She wasn't surprised when learning Max had been aware of Ida being a mermaid.

I got a headstart on my homework assignments to keep myself distracted when it became clear there wasn't anything I could do to help locate Charlotte. Not while the moon was full.

Patrick called me letting me know that he managed to find some of his late grandfather's notes on astronomy after his grandma recalled storing them away. He offered to bring them over at once but rescheduled once reminded that it was a full moon and I couldn't risk opening the door for him. Grandma was keeping a close eye on Grandpa who still couldn't do much since the knee operation. 

🌊

Waking up the next morning, I realized nothing had happened overnight. Emma called me to make sure I was alright. I assured her that I was fine and that no crazy event happened the prior night. The other girls had slept over at the Sertori house. I felt cozy and content with having used the blackout shades. Sure there were always other nights the four of us had slumber parties on special weekends and holiday breaks.

At school, Patrick arrived at my locker with his grandfather's astronomical notes.

"These were all that I could find," he told me as he handed me an old rucksack, "Grams had a massive cleanout of Gramp's stuff after he passed. Mum, Dad, and one of my uncles had managed to save some of them."

"Thanks, Pat," I nodded and stuffed it in my locker for later on, "I'll make sure to give them back when we're done with them."

"No worries. They're hardly missed since no one in the family has an interest in astronomy."

"Most of these are your grandpa's handwriting. I'm certain you all held on to them for sentimental reasons."

"Grams still has Gramp's journal for that reason. And there are some documents that have his handwriting that we've found and kept over the years."

I smiled at Patrick. I could tell he loved his grandfather a lot. Plus, Patrick didn't care much for physical materials. The memories were what he cherished the most.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 303 16
Madeleine Hawkins is back with her mermaid and mermen pals. Here's to a new season of adventures with a secret that needs to be kept! Sequel to...
13.5K 568 22
Angel Starlight is a normal girl who gets an opportunity to go on a yacht for a project. Angel meets two girls, who turn out to be the ones she's par...
4.5K 66 29
It is about a girl who finds who she really is during her age as a 15+ years old with her 2 best friends for life and a new comer in the group. She h...
153 35 5
She was not truly living... Until she met Lycros. * β€§ΜΜŠΛ™Β· 𓆝.Β° ο½‘Λšπ“†›Λšο½‘ Β°.π“†ž Β·Λ™β€§ΜΜŠ * Lauren Greene is very strict about her schedule. She goes to work...