Waterworks (H2O Just Add Wate...

By Fireleaves

After the death of her mother, Zoey Shaw moves with her father to the Gold Coast for a better change and scen... More

Note
Cast
Part I
1. Metamorphosis
2. Pool Party
3. Catch of the Day
4. Party Girls
5. Something Fishy
6. Ida's Secret (An Original Chapter)
7. Moon Spell
8. The Denman Affair
9. Dangerous Waters
10. The Camera Never Lies
11. Sink or Swim
12. The Siren Effect
13. Shipwrecked
14. Blue Moon (An Original Chapter)
15. The Big Chill
16. Lovesick
17. Under the Weather
18. Bad Moon Rising
19. Hurricane Angela
20. Hook, Line, and Sinker
21. Red Herring
22. Fish Out of Water
23. In Too Deep
24. Love Potion # 9
25. Dr. Danger
26. A Twist in the Tail
Part II
27. Stormy Weather
28. Control
29. The One That Got Away
30. Fire and Ice
31. Hocus Pocus
32. Pressure Cooker
33. In Hot Water
34. Wrong Side of the Tracks
35. Riding for a Fall
36. Missed the Boat
37. In Over Our Heads
38. Fish Fever
39. Moonwalker
40. Get Off My Tail
41. Irresistible
42. Double Trouble
43. Moonstruck
45. The Gracie Code Part One
46. The Gracie Code Part Two
47. And Then There Were Five
48. Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble
49. Reckless
50. Four's Company
51. Sea Change
52. Unfathomable
Part III
53. The Awakening
54. Jungle Hunt
55. Keep Your Enemies Close
56. Rogue Tide (An Original Chapter)
57. Big Ideas
58. Secrets and Lies
59. Happy Families
60. Kidnapped
61. The Sorcerer's Apprentice
62. Revealed
63. Just a Girl at Heart
64. Crime and Punishment
65. To Have and to Hold Back
66. Mermaid Magic
67. Power Play
68. The Dark Side
69. A Magnetic Attraction
70. Into the Light
71. Breakaway
72. Queen for a Day
73. The Jewel Thief
74. Mako Masters
75. Beach Party
76. Too Close for Comfort
77. A Date With Destiny
78. Graduation

44. The Heat Is On

403 18 0
By Fireleaves

My phone rang while I was helping Grandma plant fresh flowers in the garden. I saw on the screen that it was Cleo calling me. 

"Hey," I replied after answering.

"Hi, Zoey," Emma spoke up.

"Wait a second. Rikki's on the line too," Cleo told us and connected her confirming to me that it was a group call, "So? Our anniversary?" She sounded stoked.

"Yeah, a year ago tomorrow we became mermaids," Emma stated.

"It feels longer," Rikki remarked.

"I'm with ya there. A lot has happened in one year," I agreed thinking about what the four of us went through after the first time in the moon pool and everything else we've experienced together.

"Come on. It's the best year of our lives and you know it," Cleo pointed out happily.

I still remember how at first she refused to get into the water, but later learned to face her fear of it. 

"It's definitely been the most weird," Rikki added.

"So I was thinking we should celebrate, just the four of us," Cleo suggested.

"I love it," Emma agreed.

"That'll be fun," I nodded.

"Great, I'll organize everything. Leave it to me," Cleo promised.

"Do want any help? It's hard for one person to arrange an event."

"Sure thing, Zoey."

"You're not gonna make us wear party hats, are you?" Rikki asked. 

I could tell she was being sassy by her tone, though I knew she was joking.

"Like I said, leave it to me," Cleo assured her and hung up.

"I take it was one of the girls," Grandma guessed as I slid my phone back into my pocket.

"Yep," I nodded, "Cleo's planning an anniversary celebration of when the four of us became mermaids. I offered to help her out since sometimes, planning a small party can be hard on one person."

"It must mean a lot to her to do all that and to go out of your way to help her out. If there's anything you both need, just let me know."

"Thanks, Grandma. Though I don't wanna wear you out."

"No worries. My entire physical body may be old, but I still have some of that youthful vigor."

I smiled at her.

🌊

After finishing planting the new flowers, Grandma offered to make pavlova for our event. I found it thoughtful of her that I jumped in to help her out. Afterward, Cleo and I met up and went to the grocers to get snacks and other goodies for our party. Cleo was thrilled when I told her about the pavlova and that it was Grandma's way of wanting to support us.

 The only thing was, where to hold the party. We couldn't do it at the house because Grandpa was still recovering from his knee surgery. Ebony arrived in town to help out when it became clear that Dad, Grandma, and I needed an extra hand with Grandpa. Cleo suggested at her place. 

At the cafe, Cleo informed Lewis of the party and invited him too since he had been involved with us for the entire year, helping us deal with our mermaid sides. 

Just as we were about to let Emma and Rikki know of the details, it sounded like they were arguing over something. I could tell it had to do with Zane and Ash for some reason. Cleo tried to calm them down and announced that Lewis offered to help us with the party. It became apparent that Rikki and Emma couldn't stand to be in the same room as each other.

🌊

The following day, Cleo and I knew that we had to help Rikki and Emma put an end to their grudge against one another, especially on the most important day of our lives, not just becoming mermaids, but how the four of us became best friends. 

Personally, it meant a lot to me. Before meeting the girls, I didn't have any close friends to connect with. After the four of us had entered the moon pool for the first time, the more I spent time with the other girls, the more fond of them I became. I thought back to Miss Chatham's expressions of keeping our friendship stronger and close-knit.

Cleo and I arrived at the beach waiting for Rikki. I noticed a third silhouette and saw Rikki had made her presence.

"We need to sort this out," Cleo told her as I followed the two from behind.

"OK, fine," Rikki shrugged impatiently, "What do we do about Miss Know-It-All Emma?"

"Rikki," I shook my head at her stubbornness.

"I wish you'd both try to see each other's point of view," Cleo expressed.

"I do. And she's wrong," Rikki remarked.

"She's not totally wrong. And you're not totally right."

"What she meant was both of you are right and wrong at the same time," I clarified.

"Zo has a point there," Rikki gestured at me. 

Cleo raised an eyebrow at me. I just gave her an expression that I was trying to help clear the wind.

"You know how Zane can be sometimes," she added.

"So you're on her side?" Rikki asked the both of us.

"I'm not on anyone's side."

"We're both on neutral ground," I replied.

"Well, just for once, Cleo, maybe you should be," Rikki glared at her and then gave me an expression that told me that she would talk with me later and left.

I sighed and followed Cleo.

Both of us arrived at the Gilbert house and Cleo rang the doorbell. Emma answered it.

"Did you two speak to her?" she asked letting us inside.

"Yeah," Cleo nodded.

"Is she still being stubborn?"

"Emma, you're both being stubborn," I corrected her.

"We all just need to talk and --" Cleo started but was cut off.

"We've already talked," Emma interrupted her, "She just won't listen to reason. Ash did nothing wrong."

I could tell something had happened at the cafe which resulted in Ash kicking Zane out of there. I didn't ask for any details knowing that both parties were right and wrong at the same time. There was no way I was siding with anyone.

"You both agree with me, don't you?" Emma asked us.

"I'm not saying anything," Cleo shook her head.

"I don't have an answer for that," I replied.

"Well, may just for once you two should," Emma glared at us and went upstairs.

🌊

Cleo and I went our separate ways. I headed back home. I sighed as I entered the house.

"Is everything alright, sweetheart?" Grandma asked as she sat in the living room with Grandpa while Ebony grabbed something in the kitchen.

"Rikki and Emma got into an argument that resulted in them not speaking with each other," I answered as I joined them on the sofa.

"Lemme guess, does it have to do with boys?" Ebony wondered as she arrived in the living room, "I knew a few girls back when I was your age and they'd fight a lot about 'em."

"Something like that. Cleo and I often end up being in the middle every time something like it happens. I don't like taking sides when it comes to my friends."

"That means you see all sides of both parties," Grandma nodded, "You refuse to take one side. You girls are great mates. I'm certain Emma and Rikki will forgive each other."

I agreed with her.

"Anything I can do to help?" Grandpa asked.

"There's no need," I shook my head, "Just give your knee a rest."

🌊

Cleo contacted me telling me she called both Rikki and Emma to meet up at the beach where it was neutral territory. I met up with her before the other girls. Cleo added that Mr. Sertori wouldn't let her have the party at the house, so we came up with the idea to hold it in the moon pool, which made a lot of sense to me.

When Rikki showed up, Cleo and I were surprised to see Zane with her. Next, Emma arrived along with Ash. I had a bad feeling about everything when everyone else reacted towards each other negatively. I tried telling them that they were right and wrong at the same time but no one listened.

It got worse when Zane and Ash confronted each other and started fighting. Cleo and I got in the middle of them and stopped the brawl demanding that they leave.

"Why does a fight over two boys have to get between us?" Cleo asked once the guys left.

"My thoughts exactly," I nodded.

"It's not my fault," Emma expressed glaring over at Rikki.

"Oh, so it's mine," Rikki retorted.

"See? You're doing it again," Cleo looked at the both of them and sighed, "This is our anniversary. It's supposed to be special. We're supposed to be celebrating together."

"Oh yeah? I don't feel like celebrating right now."

"I don't wanna hear it. Now, Dad won't let me have the party at home. So Zoey and I were thinking of Mako Island."

"Come on guys," I begged, "This is important. We're friends, aren't we?"

Neither Rikki nor Emma replied.

"Well, your friends are asking you to come. 4 o'clock, please?" Cleo glanced at both girls.

I gave them a pleading expression telling them that my friendship with them meant a lot to Cleo and me.

"Yeah, okay," Emma nodded.

"I suppose," Rikki answered.

Cleo and I softly sighed in relief.

🌊

Lewis offered to help transport the party equipment and the goodies over to Mako Island. He was especially careful with handling the pavlova knowing Grandma and I made it. Lewis got a kick out of Grandma's cooking whenever he and the girls hung out with me at the house.

While Lewis hauled the stuff in his boat, Cleo and I dove into the water and headed straight for Mako. I could only hope Rikki and Emma remembered to meet up with us.

As we surfaced in the moon pool, Lewis had set everything up, from candles to party lights and comfy cushions.

"Wow Lewis, thanks, it looks great," Cleo remarked on seeing the cavern decorated.

"It's perfect," I nodded.

"What's the laptop for?"

I noticed he had his laptop in his hands.

"Ah, now that's a surprise. We should wait until Emma and Rikki get here," Lewis answered.

"Well, it looks amazing," Cleo smiled, "Thanks, Lewis. They're gonna love it."

"Yeah. So when are they getting here?"

"Soon."

"Better hope they remembered and forgot about the silly argument," I nodded.

Cleo and I got out of the moon pool and once our legs came back, the former paced back and forth while I checked on the pavlova seeing that it held together well during the ride over from the mainland. Rikki and Emma never turned down Grandma's cooking, especially her desserts.

"What time did you make it?" Cleo asked Lewis after looking at her watch for a bit.

"Uh, half past," he replied, "What time are they meant to be getting here? A while ago, I guess."

"Think they got caught up with something?" I wondered.

"Well, it is getting a bit late. Do you think they'll be long?" Lewis asked.

"Why?" Cleo turned to him, "Do you have to be somewhere?"

"Yeah, I've got a date with Charlotte."

"Oh."

"Right," I nodded. 

"Sorry," Lewis apologized, "I-- I kind of made plans. And besides, this is your anniversary."

"Yeah, sure," Cleo agreed, "It's all right, go. We'll be fine."

"Are you sure you'll be okay on your own?"

"Yeah, don't worry about me. I've got Zoey to keep me company."

"OK, see you later."

Lewis left the cavern leaving Cleo and me to our own devices.

🌊

Sometime after he left,  Cleo and I started setting up the cavern as we waited for Emma and Rikki to arrive. At first, I was curious about what Lewis had on the laptop, but decided to wait until the other girls showed up. However, it seemed that neither of them was ever going to arrive as they promised. Had to guess Rikki and Emma were still bitter about their fight against each other that they forgot about our gathering.

Cleo went over to the laptop and turned on what looked like a projection screen Lewis had set up with it. I glanced over and saw that it was a series of photos of the four of us girls. I scooted myself over next to Cleo letting her know that she wasn't alone as we watched the photo showing.

After the show, it was getting late and the girls still hadn't shown up. 

"We should go," Cleo turned to me, "It's getting late."

"Yeah," I nodded sighing sadly, and followed her towards the exit.

Just as we were about to leave the cavern, there were a couple of familiar voices talking from the moon pool. I had a hunch they were Rikki and Emma. I found myself smiling when I overheard them apologizing to one another and admitting their own faults. While they were trying to figure out where Cleo and I were, both of us revealed ourselves.

"We're right here," I answered after we got back into the cavern.

"What about Ash and Zane?" Cleo wondered.

"Oh, forget them," Emma shrugged.

"Yeah, they're just boys," Rikki agreed, "Cute boys, but stupid, competitive boys."

"We're really sorry, Cleo and Zoey."

"It won't happen again."

"Until next time?" Cleo asked as she and I bent over at their level at the same time.

"No next time," Emma assured her.

"Yeah, you guys were right," Rikki told us, "Boyfriends are one thing, but you guys are more important."

"Forgive us, please?"

"Maybe," Cleo smiled.

"Heck yeah," I nodded.

"Great," Emma grinned and turned to Rikki, "Come on, let's get out and get this party started."

"Right," Cleo nodded and went over to the CD player Lewis left for us and turned it on. Music started playing as the other girls hoisted themselves out of the moon pool.

The four of us sat side by side viewing the photo showing. It felt right watching it with all of us together.

"Has it really only been a year?" Emma asked.

"It feels longer," Rikki replied.

"The best year of our lives," Cleo smiled as she wrapped her arms around Emma and me.

"One amazing year for all of us," I agreed and placed an arm around Rikki.

The four of us smiled at each other and then viewed the rest of the photo show.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.4K 635 30
โYou now have to make a sacrifice, for all merpeople's safety. You have to run away.โž โ™กโ™กโ™ก Lily Hartwood is your typical teenager. Who cares if she ha...
Alone By caslovessleeping

Mystery / Thriller

46.3K 2.7K 54
"I didn't know how much I needed you until I didn't have you. Every second was hell without you. Whenever I'm with you, I feel like I'm in heaven. I...
153 35 5
She was not truly living... Until she met Lycros. * โ€งฬฬŠห™ยท ๐“†.ยฐ ๏ฝกหš๐“†›หš๏ฝก ยฐ.๐“†ž ยทห™โ€งฬฬŠ * Lauren Greene is very strict about her schedule. She goes to work...
326K 5.2K 41
Set 3 years after Graduation. They face new adventures. RikkixZane EmmaxAsh CleoxLewis BellaxWill and OC. Goes through their adult lives after high s...