Waterworks (H2O Just Add Wate...

By Fireleaves

After the death of her mother, Zoey Shaw moves with her father to the Gold Coast for a better change and scen... More

Note
Cast
Part I
1. Metamorphosis
2. Pool Party
3. Catch of the Day
4. Party Girls
5. Something Fishy
6. Ida's Secret (An Original Chapter)
7. Moon Spell
8. The Denman Affair
9. Dangerous Waters
10. The Camera Never Lies
11. Sink or Swim
12. The Siren Effect
13. Shipwrecked
14. Blue Moon (An Original Chapter)
15. The Big Chill
16. Lovesick
17. Under the Weather
18. Bad Moon Rising
19. Hurricane Angela
20. Hook, Line, and Sinker
21. Red Herring
22. Fish Out of Water
23. In Too Deep
24. Love Potion # 9
25. Dr. Danger
26. A Twist in the Tail
Part II
27. Stormy Weather
28. Control
29. The One That Got Away
30. Fire and Ice
31. Hocus Pocus
32. Pressure Cooker
33. In Hot Water
34. Wrong Side of the Tracks
35. Riding for a Fall
36. Missed the Boat
37. In Over Our Heads
38. Fish Fever
40. Get Off My Tail
41. Irresistible
42. Double Trouble
43. Moonstruck
44. The Heat Is On
45. The Gracie Code Part One
46. The Gracie Code Part Two
47. And Then There Were Five
48. Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble
49. Reckless
50. Four's Company
51. Sea Change
52. Unfathomable
Part III
53. The Awakening
54. Jungle Hunt
55. Keep Your Enemies Close
56. Rogue Tide (An Original Chapter)
57. Big Ideas
58. Secrets and Lies
59. Happy Families
60. Kidnapped
61. The Sorcerer's Apprentice
62. Revealed
63. Just a Girl at Heart
64. Crime and Punishment
65. To Have and to Hold Back
66. Mermaid Magic
67. Power Play
68. The Dark Side
69. A Magnetic Attraction
70. Into the Light
71. Breakaway
72. Queen for a Day
73. The Jewel Thief
74. Mako Masters
75. Beach Party
76. Too Close for Comfort
77. A Date With Destiny
78. Graduation

39. Moonwalker

449 20 1
By Fireleaves

I don't own this GIF. All credit goes out to the original creator. I pictured Jason Clarke as Darren, Zoey's second cousin.

Patrick had been contacting me daily. Most of them were questions he had. Ever since the incident with Emma getting infected by a bizarre toxin from the multicolored coral, Patrick started asking me about what was going on. It wasn't in a demanding manner. It was more of a caring and concerned reaction. Even though I assured the others that I wouldn't tell him anything, it was starting to appear that it was about time I told Patrick the truth, whether he accepted it or not. Grandma kept assuring me that it wouldn't matter to him.

Plus, Darren, Kristi, and the kids arrived for a week-long visit. The kids had their school holiday break and Darren and Kristi decided to use that time to visit the Gold Coast. I ended up sharing my room with Pippa who often wished she had a sister since being stuck with two brothers. She saw me as an older sister than a third cousin.

To make things more exciting for the kids, Darren suggested a camping trip over on Mako Island after having brought their camping gear. Kristi, who had back issues and couldn't handle sleeping on the hard ground backed out. So Dad offered for himself and me to go along with Darren and the kids. The boys, Flynn and Bodhi were stoked about camping out. Grandpa was so disappointed he couldn't go along due to his advancing age and knee issues that he would soon have to have surgery on one of the kneecaps.

I remembered it was a full moon. It was a bad mixture, especially since Dad and the cousins were all involved. If Lewis and the other girls got wind of what was going on, they'd freak out and suggest that I back out. There was no way I could back out since Pippa was also going camping and was eager to share a tent with me. I didn't want to disappoint her. Though there was the off chance of me falling under the moon spell and wreaking havoc. Since we would be on Mako at the time, I'd retreat to the moon pool to wait out the night and get back to the family before they woke up.

Cleo contacted me explaining that Mr. Sertori planned a family camping trip on Mako also. I found it all to be a huge coincidence. We may end up running into each other! 

🌊

Getting over to Mako felt a lot different for me since I could easily swim from the mainland to the island itself. Dad borrowed one of the boats from his fishing buddy, which fit all six of us.

"You guys stoked?" Darren asked Pippa and the boys as the kids got on board while I helped Dad load in the camping gear.

"Are there gonna be giant bugs?" Pippa asked hugging herself in a shudder which told me she wasn't into insects.

"Yeah, the Australian tarantula," Flynn grinned wickedly, "Also known as the bird-eating spider or the whistling spider."

"Can't forget the tree snakes," Bodhi added, "And the goannas."

"I'm not scared of snakes or lizards," Pippa shook her head, "But spiders are the worst."

"Hey, didn't I see you and the boys trying to poke at a funnel web with a stick in Grandma's garden that one time?" I glanced at her as I set my hiking backpack down.

"I only stayed away and Flynn did all the poking after being told that they were poisonous."

"That is true," Darren nodded, "Though the boys shouldn't have aggravated that funnel web. One of them could've been bitten and we'd have to rush him to the hospital."

"At least we're not in Sydney," Dad jumped in as he hauled in the rest of the gear, "That kind of spiders is the worst to deal with, especially after it rains down there. The one time, we were there visiting Aunt Ida, Eb and I decided to take a swim in the pool and Mum immediately spotted the crawler in the water and yanked us out of the pool."

"On the plus side, you know there are safety methods to handle them without getting hurt," I agreed as I recalled her telling me how freaked she was, not about the spider, but for Dad and Ebony's wellbeing.

"Too right, Zo."

I could tell Pippa had an uncomfortable expression on her face.

"Why don't we drop the spider stories," Darren suggested seeing his young daughter feeling uneasy, "Don't want Pip to get nightmares." 

🌊

After getting the rest of the camping gear into the boat, we were bound for Mako Island. To lighten things up for Pippa, I told her about the wild dolphins that lived in the lagoons and the sea turtles that often went on shore to build their nests. I also informed my third cousin of the dugong pod. Pippa seemed to feel better and would have something to dream about later.

On getting to shore, there were a couple of boats on the beach. I recognized one of them as Lewis' boat. Guess he got wind of Cleo's plans and tagged along! 

"Looks like we're not the only ones here," Dad remarked on seeing the boats.

"Yeah," I nodded as I tossed my bag into the sand and jumped off the boat, avoiding any contact with the water, "I know who owns the gray one." 

"Mates of yours, Zo?" Darren wondered as he lifted the kids one at a time out of the boat.

"Yep."

After Dad and Darren got the boat onto the beach, all of us started making the trek into the jungle for the right camping spot. Flynn and Bodhi kept stopping to get a look at the local fauna. Darren had told me that they had been watching a ton of reruns of Crocodile Hunter and it sparked their interest in nature. Pippa stuck by my side, not even daring to get separated after being warned to not wander off. There was no way I was letting the kids, especially Pippa find the cavern which led to the moon pool. 

Most of all, I didn't want the kids to accidentally discover Uiscue since they, especially the boys were convinced that the bunyip was a real creature. Kristi advised me to keep Flynn and Bodhi from telling certain horror stories while around Pippa who was susceptible to anything since she was the youngest in the family.

"Say, Adri, didn't you tell me once you and your mates claimed the island was haunted or something?" Darren wondered.

"Haunted?" Pippa shuddered.

"It was just a joke," Dad answered laughing at his memory, "We were sharing stories, making up our own urban legends and myths."

"That must've been fun," I nodded.

Arriving at a small clearing, a few tents were being set up. It was no surprise to me to see Rikki and Emma along with Cleo and her family. Another surprise was Charlotte's presence. Guess she wanted to tag along with Lewis once she learned of his plans, though I could tell she was being a bit suspicious.

Mr. Sertori looked surprised to see us and invited all of us to set up camp nearby after introducing Darren and the kids. Noting Cleo's expression, she wasn't thrilled about having Charlotte around.

While Dad and Darren set up the tents, I watched over Pippa and the boys as they explored the clearing after being told not to wander into the jungle without an adult.

"You could've backed out and stayed home, Zoey," Lewis told me after Charlotte went with Kim to gather some firewood and Cleo, Emma, and Rikki went off somewhere.

"I couldn't. I didn't wanna disappoint Pip," I shook my head, "Even on a full moon."

"Still, you'd be risking your dad and relatives finding out about your secret." 

"I had a hunch we'd run into you guys after Cleo told me earlier of her plans."

"The last thing any of us would want is seeing four moonstruck mermaids wreaking havoc."

Just then, Charlotte and Kim returned to the campsite. Noting their expressions, I could tell they came across something in the jungle and were startled that they had been running. 

"Believe me, Kim, there's nothing dangerous out there," Mr. Sertori assured Kim after starting the fire with some of the collected wood.

 "These noises weren't natural," Kim pointed out after she told him of her and Charlotte's experience.

"Well, some of those possums can be pretty loud when they're feeding."

"It wasn't a hungry possum," Charlotte clarified.

"Well then it could have been any of the 100 other perfectly normal things," Mr. Sertori explained.

"You guys might've heard a koala," I spoke up as I recalled learning that they were extremely territorial and at the same time noticed Emma, Cleo, and Rikki returning to the campsite with smiles on their faces which told me they were behind scaring Charlotte and Kim.

"Koalas? Really?" Pippa smiled which told me they were one of her favorite animals.

"She was just guessing the noises, sweetheart," Darren smiled at her.

"Or, it could've been a crocodile," Flynn grinned after overhearing us.

"Or maybe a yowie," Bodhi jumped in referencing the Australian version of Bigfoot.

"That one's a myth," I told him.

"But a lot of people say they've seen them all over the country."

"Maybe so. Or it could be an undiscovered species that's just shy."

After having some non-perishable and canned food for dinner, and roasting marshmallows by the fire, Cleo, Emma, and Rikki retreated into the tent they were staying in to avoid the moon.  As I was getting into the tent I was sharing with Pippa, Lewis gave me a pair of shades that were said to block out the moonlight and told me to stay in all night.

"What's with the sunnies, Zoey?" Pippa wondered after we got into our tent.

"They're sleep shades, kinda like sleeping masks," I replied.

"Mum sometimes wears a mask for sleeping. Dad says that she has trouble falling asleep right away."

"Probably it's to help her relax."

Pippa pulled out a unicorn plushie from her backpack before getting into her sleeping bag. As she fell asleep, I got comfortable in my sleeping bag, slid on the shades, and fell asleep.

🌊

The sound of feet moving woke me up. Pippa was still sound asleep clutching her unicorn.

"Psst! Zoey! Wake up!" Emma whispered from outside the tent.

I pulled off the shades, carefully stepped over Pippa, and got outside.

"No, no no!" Lewis warned, "Get back in the tent!"

"What's happening?" I wondered as I zipped the tent flap shut.

"Cleo's gone missing," Rikki answered.

"It's time we faced the full moon to find her," Emma explained with determination.

Knowing that one of our friends was moonstruck and wandering around in the jungle, I knew it was important to find her at once. Though I hoped I'd get back before Pippa noticed I was gone. 

Just as the rest of us were about to start the search, the full moon unveiled itself through the moving clouds.

"Guys," Lewis called out and noticed the three of us staring up, "Right. So much for that plan. Back in the tents ladies."

He was about to shove Emma and Rikki back into theirs when Rikki grabbed his wrist.

"Look after your girlfriend, Lewis," Rikki frowned at him.

"Trust us. We got this," I assured Lewis, "Just make sure Pippa isn't alone when she wakes up."

I followed Rikki and Emma towards the jungle.

The girls and I hid ourselves in some overgrowth on seeing Charlotte seated on a rock as if she were waiting. Shining her flashlight, Cleo came around and just stood with her back to Charlotte.

"Oh, Cleo," she gasped after feeling startled, "What do you think you're doing?"

Cleo didn't reply to her.

"You know, trying to scare your little sister is really pathetic," Charlotte added, "This stupid game of yours is not going to work. This is all because of Lewis and me, isn't it?"

Still, Cleo ignored her as if not hearing a word.

"Cleo? Cleo! I'm talking to you!" Charlotte frowned and grabbed Cleo's shoulder, making her face her.

Rikki raised a hand and summoned some lightning causing a bolt to strike nearby, startling Charlotte. Cleo started walking, heading in the direction of the cavern. Emma and I quickly followed her while Rikki had another plan.

"Can we get a grip here guys?" Lewis demanded after having caught up with us, "Your little plan isn't working. Come back to the tent. Let me find Cleo."

"Stay away from us," Emma glared at him, "We know what we're doing."

"You can't always do everything," I added and turned to head for the river.

"Are you sure about that? Huh?" Lewis stopped us in our tracks, "Because the last time--"

He was cut off when Rikki raised her hand as if to use her powers once again.

"The water calls," Emma told him and the three of us walked away.

"That's good," Lewis called out to us, "Enjoy your swim."

🌊

Once we were in the water, the other girls and I swam in the direction of the underwater entrance to the moon pool. Cleo was there staring up at the surface. As she pointed up at it, I noticed Charlotte had arrived inside the cavern and stared at the pool and the volcano cone as the moonlight inched its way over.

The girls and I carefully surfaced, but out of Charlotte's sight. When the moonbeam hit the pool, it started bubbling. Charlotte kneeled at the edge with curiosity and reached a hand out as if to touch the water. The four of us turned to each other with knowing expressions. Emma raised a hand and froze the moon pool. Charlotte jerked back in shock.

Once the moon passed over, Rikki raised a hand and melted the ice. The four of us submerged back underwater and swam away.

🌊

The girls and I waited for the moon to pass and went spearfishing. Rikki used her power to cook and charbroil them. I was impressed that we still had memories of the night's events.

The four of us returned to the campsite where everyone else was up. I could only hope I didn't worry Pippa if she didn't see me.

"Good morning, everyone," Cleo smiled on arrival.

"Anyone for a cooked breakfast?" Emma asked.

"About time," Kim sighed in relief. 

"Don't mind if I do," Mr. Sertori smiled as Rikki handed one of the sticks to him, "Well done, girls, fresh fish."

I held out the stick I carried and Darren took a piece of the fish just as Mr. Sertori tried a piece.

"Nice. How did you manage to do this?" Mr. Sertori asked.

"It's my specialty," Rikki grinned.

"Crickey," Darren smiled after tasting the fish, "This is great!"

The girls and I grinned at everyone else.

🌊

We met up at the cafe a day later. It was a big relief Pippa didn't notice what had happened. She figured I was up at the crack of dawn helping the other girls with spearfishing.

"We faced the powers of the full moon and we beat it," Emma smiled.

"It will never be the same again," Cleo jumped in.

"Perhaps we'll be immune to it," I nodded.

"OK, I admit, you guys beat the full moon without my help," Lewis sighed as he brought our drinks and sat in the booth with us.

"No, Lewis, we beat the full moon despite your help," Rikki corrected him.

"All right, it took real guts to go out there not knowing what could happen. And I admire that."

"That's more like it."

"There is one thing that still bothers me," Cleo pointed out, "Charlotte touched the ice exactly when the moon pool was active."

"That's right," Emma nodded as if being reminded, "What if she got mermaid powers?"

I recalled Charlotte's startled expression and curiosity.

That minute, she entered the cafe and turned in our direction.

"Pretty easy to find out," Rikki glanced at Lewis as if to tell him to do something.

"OK, but let me talk to her first," Lewis agreed as he picked up his drink and got up.

"I think one would have to be in the moon pool in order to get mer abilities," I pointed out as Lewis sipped his drink and approached Charlotte and squirted her. Cleo counted with her fingers up to ten.

When nothing happened, she smiled at the rest of us as Lewis apologized to Charlotte informing her that he choked on his beverage.

"Smooth operator," Rikki nodded at us.

Secretly, I felt bad for Charlotte as she left the cafe with a soaked blouse.

"She's clear," Lewis told us.

As the other girls started laughing, I couldn't help but laugh along with them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.7K 770 16
When Tessa Mccall runs to Forks with her half sister and children from her abusive home. how will Charlie react to his childhood friend daughter's re...
31.6K 761 34
Madison was a sweet girl who loved everyone but what happens when her parents get divorced and her mom moves her and her siblings to australia. what...
13.5K 568 22
Angel Starlight is a normal girl who gets an opportunity to go on a yacht for a project. Angel meets two girls, who turn out to be the ones she's par...
28K 517 23
Erik is back, and he has a plan: to take all the moon ring stones and forge them into one huge stone to reopen the merman chamber on Mako Island. Si...