Waterworks (H2O Just Add Wate...

By Fireleaves

After the death of her mother, Zoey Shaw moves with her father to the Gold Coast for a better change and scen... More

Note
Cast
Part I
1. Metamorphosis
2. Pool Party
3. Catch of the Day
4. Party Girls
5. Something Fishy
6. Ida's Secret (An Original Chapter)
7. Moon Spell
8. The Denman Affair
9. Dangerous Waters
10. The Camera Never Lies
11. Sink or Swim
12. The Siren Effect
13. Shipwrecked
14. Blue Moon (An Original Chapter)
15. The Big Chill
16. Lovesick
17. Under the Weather
18. Bad Moon Rising
19. Hurricane Angela
20. Hook, Line, and Sinker
21. Red Herring
22. Fish Out of Water
23. In Too Deep
24. Love Potion # 9
25. Dr. Danger
26. A Twist in the Tail
Part II
27. Stormy Weather
28. Control
29. The One That Got Away
30. Fire and Ice
31. Hocus Pocus
32. Pressure Cooker
33. In Hot Water
35. Riding for a Fall
36. Missed the Boat
37. In Over Our Heads
38. Fish Fever
39. Moonwalker
40. Get Off My Tail
41. Irresistible
42. Double Trouble
43. Moonstruck
44. The Heat Is On
45. The Gracie Code Part One
46. The Gracie Code Part Two
47. And Then There Were Five
48. Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble
49. Reckless
50. Four's Company
51. Sea Change
52. Unfathomable
Part III
53. The Awakening
54. Jungle Hunt
55. Keep Your Enemies Close
56. Rogue Tide (An Original Chapter)
57. Big Ideas
58. Secrets and Lies
59. Happy Families
60. Kidnapped
61. The Sorcerer's Apprentice
62. Revealed
63. Just a Girl at Heart
64. Crime and Punishment
65. To Have and to Hold Back
66. Mermaid Magic
67. Power Play
68. The Dark Side
69. A Magnetic Attraction
70. Into the Light
71. Breakaway
72. Queen for a Day
73. The Jewel Thief
74. Mako Masters
75. Beach Party
76. Too Close for Comfort
77. A Date With Destiny
78. Graduation

34. Wrong Side of the Tracks

425 19 0
By Fireleaves

After helping Grandma run some errands, I met up with Patrick just as he finished his shift at the lifeguard tower. Rikki was meeting up with Zane. I felt guilty for not saying anything to Cleo and Emma about the two together since I had promised Rikki that I wouldn't tell them. 

"So, what's been new with you Zo?" Patrick wondered as we walked towards the mall.

"Well you know, school, work, hanging out with friends, helping my grandma with some errands and other stuff," I shrugged.

"What other stuff?"

"Has anyone told you something and asked you not to tell others about it?"

"Yeah, for sure. That's trust and that the person sees you as a trusted mate."

It made sense why Rikki opened up to me a bit about her background. As we all got to know each other, she told me some things that she never said to either Cleo or Emma.

"Whatever is going on, you can tell me whenever you feel ready," Patrick assured me.

That would soon involve telling him about the reason why I try to avoid any contact with water at all times. 

🌊

Later, I arrived at the cafe to find Cleo and Emma seated at the counter.

"Zoey, have you seen Rikki?" Cleo wondered.

"Did she tell you something?" Emma asked.

I felt uncomfortable with answering them after having promised Rikki. The other girls were aware that Rikki often told me a lot of things since they sometimes could be critical about it.

Just then, Rikki entered the cafe.

"Hey, stranger," Cleo smiled at her, "Long time no see."

"Where have you been hiding?" Emma wondered.

"Oh, you know. Here and there," Rikki shrugged.

I gave her an expression as if to tell her that I never said anything to Cleo and Emma about her and Zane together.

"We've been here and there, haven't seen you," Emma pointed out.

"Started to think you found three other mermaids to hang out with," Cleo grinned at Rikki.

I could tell Rikki didn't want to tell us anything yet. It would only be whenever she felt ready. And, I wasn't pushing it.

The bamboo curtains opened up revealing another customer. Rikki glanced over at the entrance. I turned there and saw Zane had entered inside.

"Listen guys, I've gotta go," Rikki turned back to us.

"You just got here," Cleo reminded her.

"Sorry about that."

Rikki headed out at that moment.

"What is with her?" Cleo asked us and then glanced at me, "Did Rikki tell you anything, Zoey?"

"That's for Rikki to tell you guys, not me," I answered.

Lewis came over to our table informing us that he saw Rikki and Zane together wondering what was up with them. Like the other girls, Lewis asked me if Rikki told me something. I refused to say anything to him.

🌊

The next day, I went out swimming in the open water solo. Even though it was nice having the other girls at my side, sometimes it felt good to be alone for a while. I checked on the dugongs and the calf, like always, hugged me whenever I showed up.

On arriving at the moon pool to rest up, I was surprised to find Rikki at the edge of it with her back turned.

"Rikki?" I wondered after surfacing.

"Hey, Zo," she sighed glancing at me for a second, and turned back.

"Is everything alright? I mean, you don't have to tell me right away. Just take your time."

"I haven't been truthful to all of you, especially to Zane. If you knew where I come from, you'd hate me."

"Rikki, it doesn't matter what type of background any of us originate from, it's what makes each person interesting. I'm certain Zane sees beyond everything."

She gave me a small smile, "I hope you're right, Zoey."

That second, the water rippled a bit. I looked back and saw Cleo and Emma had surfaced.

"Rikki," Emma called out.

"Zoey? Is she all right?" Cleo wondered.

I didn't say anything wanting Rikki to be the one to speak for herself.

"It's fine," Rikki replied through a small sob. She went under the water for a second and came back up. She turned to the other girls, "What's happening?"

"Don't go all tough guy on us, Rikki," Emma suggested.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Well, Zane said--" Cleo started.

"You spoke to Zane?" Rikki asked cutting her off.

"He was really worried about you," Emma answered, "How long has he known?"

"I already told Zoey about him. I was going to tell you."

"Look, I'm not saying I think it's a good idea. You and him. But he was really worried about you."

"I just-- we're just so, so, so different."

"It doesn't matter if you're different. But if you can't be yourself around him, then you've got the problem."

🌊

Later, I was helping Grandma with putting together dinner. I could only hope Rikki was able to open up to Zane about herself.

"Is everything all right, Zo?" Grandma wondered.

"I think so," I nodded, "Say, Grandma, have you had a friend who didn't feel comfortable about opening up to you or any friends, but you were willing to give her time?"

"A lot of times. It takes a lot of patience. Was it one of the girls?"

I ended up telling Grandma about Rikki's being closed off from the other girls besides me, though the latter never said much to me even though she trusted me.

"From everything there, Rikki sees you as one of her closest mates and that she trusts you since you're not judgemental and you see beyond physical appearances," Grandma stated, "By the way, have you told Patrick yet?"

"Not yet. I'm not sure when. I'm afraid he won't like me after that," I replied.

"It won't matter to him. He already likes you for you."

Anything Grandma said was true. Since she was close friends with Patrick's grandmother, it was like she knew him well. I would soon talk to the other girls about including Patrick in everything.

🌊

The next day, Rikki contacted me inviting me over to her place for a BBQ. The invitation also included Dad, Grandma, and Grandpa. Grandma made a huge pavlova dish for everyone.

We got to the Chadwick residence which was in a trailer park at the same time as Emma, Cleo, and Lewis. It surprised me to see Zane operating the grill alongside a man who I guessed was Rikki's dad.

"Hey, Rikki," I smiled at her as all of us arrived.

"Hi guys," she grinned at us, "Thanks for coming."

"That's all right," Cleo nodded.

"We're all happy to be here sweetheart," Grandma smiled at Rikki.

"This is my place," Rikki gestured around her.

I saw the park had an amazing view of the marina. 

"Cool," Lewis nodded.

"Dad," Rikki called out.

Mr. Chadwick came over to us.

"This is Emma, Cleo, Lewis, and Zoey," Rikki introduced us, "And Zo's dad and grandparents."

"Nice to finally meet you all," Mr. Chadwick smiled at all of us as he shook each of our hands.

"You too," Lewis grinned.

"Rikki's such a wonderful girl," Grandma smiled.

"She's helped our little Zo make a lot of mates," Grandpa grinned.

"I can tell," Mr. Chadwick nodded at my grandparents and glanced at the rest of us, "Look, uh, make yourself at home, please."

As Cleo and Lewis seated themselves on a couch, Grandma placed the pavlova dish on a picnic table while Dad and Grandpa talked with Mr. Chadwick. I helped Rikki and Emma with the drinks. I glanced over at Cleo and Lewis for a bit as the wind started blowing a bit. Lewis pulled out his jacket and covered Cleo's shoulders as she appeared chilly. Despite them not being together, they were still close.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 303 16
Madeleine Hawkins is back with her mermaid and mermen pals. Here's to a new season of adventures with a secret that needs to be kept! Sequel to...
Alone By caslovessleeping

Mystery / Thriller

46.3K 2.7K 54
"I didn't know how much I needed you until I didn't have you. Every second was hell without you. Whenever I'm with you, I feel like I'm in heaven. I...
153 35 5
She was not truly living... Until she met Lycros. * โ€งฬฬŠห™ยท ๐“†.ยฐ ๏ฝกหš๐“†›หš๏ฝก ยฐ.๐“†ž ยทห™โ€งฬฬŠ * Lauren Greene is very strict about her schedule. She goes to work...
14.4K 206 16
After defeating Monroe The Whole Pack decided to take a vacation to Australia Gold Coast sponsored by Derek and Peter but after a day in the city the...