Meridia: The Fall (Book 2 Cat...

By Quietdreamer52

BOOK 2 of Meridia Kaylaya and Cato are back along with the other characters we know and love. Another year a... More

1
Guilt
Training
Reaping
Welcome Back
7
8
Games
Your Victors of the 77th Hunger Games..
11
12
13
15
16 ( 12 POV)
17
18 ( FYI)
19 (12 POV)
20
21
22 ( 12 POV)
23
24 ( Capitol POV)
25
26 ( 12POV)
27
Hey!
What did they do.. ( Mixed POV)
How to make them believe
I do.
Don't understand ( 12 POV)
What do you want me to do? ( Mixed POV)
34
Round 2
Meet the team
37
Start of a...
... Revolution
Friction
Scores
The end.
Games
i'd killed you by now.
Why?
Fainting hope
The Tree
Finale
13
...you made it

6

317 10 0
By Quietdreamer52

I go back to our chariot purposely ignoring Cato's look of intrigue.

" Keep your heads up, look around smile like you own the place and give a couple death glares if need be." Cato instructs as they get pulled away leaving us.

As soon as they go out to the crowd we go by the huge TV for all the mentors and escorts to watch. All the outfits were different this year, they pulled away from the representation of each district, it was to 'old' now having whatever will bring the most attention.

I was surprised not to see Neffy or Elsie this whole while, maybe they were there when I was with Finnick. I kept my eyes on the screen but I can feel Cato's on mine.

" What Cato?" I say still looking at the screen.

" What did you talk to Finnick about? You were eager to walk away."

I shrugged, " Making sure we won't have any problems."

" That's all? I know theres more to that."

I turn looking at him, " What do you want to know?"

" How did that conversation start."

" The same how this started, he asked why I was walking with him."

" And you said?"

" I said... I don't want trouble. I know it's not fun being here year after year, I don't want to fight. And I apologized."

" What did you have to apologize for, you didn't do anything Kaylaya."

" I just felt bad... When Celeste brought them back to the Capitol."

Cato laughs, " They deserved it, River attacked you."

" All good now. Now can I actually watch the parade?"

He gives me an annoyed look before his eyes go back on the screen, thank goodness.

I didn't see much competition besides the careers, all of them were basic. The only thing that caught my eye in the parade was the wardrobe of 12.

They've always been alright, nothing fancy in my opinion, but this is year it was different. They took the whole show when they reached the middle of the way their outfits started on fire.

" That's one way to steal the spotlight, their stylists really out did themselves." I mention slightly turning my body to Cato.

" They have a new stylist. The other one died I guess." Cato whispered.

Aelin died? She was only a couple years older then us.

I turn, " Really? Who is it?"

Cato points at a darker skinned man, who was standing by Neffy and Elsie-no- Neffy and Elsie made the effort to stand by him.

He was plain, but in a elegant way. He had on more laid back clothes with gold light makeup. I liked it.

" Cinna is his name I guess. Evie introduced us when you were with Finnick."

" I guess I need to talk to her, and him. Maybe he can give Elsie some style again."

Both me and Cato chuckle as all the tributes come racing back, I could see the steam coming from all the careers as they drew nearer.

" Did you see that!" Hazel hissed pulling at her puffed out collar.

" They stole all the attention, they're going to pay for that." Jasper mumbled.

" Don't get your panties in a bunch princess." Cato joked though Jasper didn't think it was humerous.

Finally Neffy and Elsie decided to join us, they were both talking about how nice they all looked when I noticed Hazel's eyes glued on someone.

I followed her gaze which was locked with the girl from 12 staring right back. I also saw Evie looking at who her tribute was looking at, quickly stepping in the way. Soon after they were on their way back upstairs.

" I call the girl." Hazel grits following the group.

" Hey...HEY!" I catch Hazel's attention.

Her gaze finally comes back to mine, I can't let them hurt her tributes. " They might have gotten the Capitol's attention, but they don't have any skill. I was talking to their mentor. They won't win by having the prettiest clothes."

That seemed to calm both of them down, " OK, so you two don't worry about it. You'll feel just as confident if not more once you see them perform. Now, let's get you out of these outfits."

I lead the way to the elevator, taking them to our floor which they were in awe of. " Your rooms are on the far end." And with that they went to go change.

" What was all of that?" Cato asked amused.

" I don't want a huge target on 12's backs."

" Why? They aren't our problem anymore."

" I just don't want our tributes to kill hers. I feel that would create problems personally."

Cato wraps his arms around my waist pulling me closer, " That has nothing to do with us. They will meet up eventually. We have no control over what goes on in there. She knows how this thingworks."

" I know I-"

" Your not going to lose her if something happens in there." He says tucking hairs behind my ear.

He's right. 23 other kids will die, possibly 22 if they have that rule. Maybe both of ours will be dead, who knows.

" Your overthinking it. Just focus on getting those two to survive long enough." Cato says kissing my forehead. " What we both need right now is some sleep ok?"

The next day was the first day of training, I can really see how good everyone is. Specifically our careers, see if there's anything worth telling our kids to keep in mind when they fight each other.

Today I actually woke up before Neffy did to wake the two of them up, walking down the hall I thought I heard talking so taking softer steps I stopped outside of Hazel's room to hear the hushed conversation.

" Don't tell me you understand, do it!"

Jasper.

" Why would I even befriend them? Kaylaya said we have nothing to worry about." She grits back.

There was a loud thud, did her hit her? No, I think it was just the wall but he's not doing that again. I opened the door startling both of them, " Maybe you should care what I said Jasper, since... I am the mentor."

He was practically on top of Hazel, yelling at her. He looked down at her before pushing off her bed standing straight glaring " Cato is a mentor also, he said do whatever you need to do to get on top."

" And how would, from what I heard, befriending 12 benefit the two of you or the rest of the careers?"

He didn't say anything first, " To know their secrets."

My mouth twitches into a small smile, " What secrets would 12 have ? I hate to say, they're weak. They don't have the training we have, not even close."

" How do you know that! They could be hiding it, they learned from that girl that won last year and she learned from you. No doubt any knowledge she had will be past down."

I sigh, " What this makeshift plan is lacking, is your status. Your 2 they're 12 they won't tell you anything because your in their games. And your the careers, they know they'd be killed first."

" What do you suggest?" Hazel asks.

Jasper throws up his hands chuckling, " We're really listening to her?"

I cross my arms, " You should. I know Evangeline. Let me talk to her and see what I can find out. Until then, act like 2 yea? Scare them, scare them all. Now get dressed we're going to be late."

I left the room going to get dressed myself, now I need to find out something to satisfy them, these games are already giving me high anxiety and it's only the first full day here.

Soon after they got dressed we ate something light before making our way to the elevators. " Now don't show everyone your strong suits first, do something your alright with just as a warm up." Cato instructed looking down at the both of them.

Once the door opened 1 was already down, 4 was just coming down on the elevator across the room. Good, all the careers are here, the only downfall is we're in a room with River.

It makes me feel better with Finnick's attempt of a promise, hopefully he can have River be not so obnoxious.

I walk to the side where 1 already was Poulter looking over, when he sees me he completely leaves Shimmer and the conversation they were having to walk over to me.

" Good Morning, how is the most beautiful girl today?"

I laugh, he's to much of a try hard. "Not great, but hopefully that'll change soon."

" Whatever you need beautiful." Poulter says giving me a wink.

" Once your done flirting with my girlfriend Poulter, we need to have a chat." Cato yells from across the room making all the careers looking over and chuckle.

Poulter gives me one last look before rolling his eyes going by Cato, Shimmer follows to going out of the room leaving me with the kids and the Odairs..Great.

Why wasn't I invited to their little meeting?

The elevator opens again, good it won't be so awkward this time. To my dismay, it was 12 Evie sent them to some survival stations before walking over to me.

I see Hazel looking at me giving I little nod before she goes back to planting a sword in the dummies neck, purposely looking at the girl from 12.

" Evangeline." I greet with a smile.

" Kaylaya." She says a little stiffly, but that's just her. She reminds me of Enobaria.

" I liked your tribute's outfits last night, I wish we had Cinna. I think he should retract Elsie how to make outfits.  "

She smirks, " Yea, he's something else to. He doesn't act like he's from the Capitol, and also not like a person from the districts. He's just...different."

I smile, " Well...forget what I said."

I look over at her two tributes, they were working on tying knots. They looked so meek, unable to kill a fly let alone someone else.

" How are they doing in all of this?" I ask looking back at Evie giving her a small smile.

She to, looks at her tributes. " I don't think I'll be bringing home a victor this year. Both are sweet, but they do have the brains and witty. Maybe if they luck out and pair with who I tell them to ally with they might survive a week."

" So, they have no combat skills?"

" None." Evie says though it sounded snappy.

" I would advise them to maybe try them. There's trainer here, your here, I'm-"

" Why are you asking so many questions about them?" Evie asks.

She looks at me intently waiting for an answer, think Kay..

" I feel an obligation to help." I blurt. Good thinking. " I mean... I know the feeling of not wanting them to die here. They said he first ones are the hardest."

Evie's facial expressions soften, " Oh. Sorry I didn't mean-"

" It's fine." I give her one last smile before walking away, I noticed Cato and the others came back I could see him looking at the two of us from across the room.

" What was that about?" He asks.

" I could ask you the same thing."

He looks towards the tributes all practicing, " We just needed to talk."

" You can't talk about nothing Cato. What were you talking about."

" Our tributes."

" What about our tributes? I'm a mentor to you know, if it has anything to do with-"

" 4, they obviously want to hurt you. And that means going through our tributes. We secured an alliance within the alliance, if you came it's us it would strike suspicion of 4."

" See, that wasn't that hard to spit out."

" What were you talking to Evangeline about?"

" Our tributes are all worried about them, just because their clothes caught on fire."

Cato shrugs, " That's normal, it's an act of defiance. A non career district shouldn't get all the talk. We should."

" It didn't help they looked like they were in the Renaissance.  But, they were freaking out even more this morning so I told them I'd try to find something out, to ease them."

He shakes his head, " Did you find something?"

" I kinda did, they have no knowledge of weapons I guess, but it's the games. You need to kill. But, I have a plan."

He smirks nudging me, " Of course you do."

" Just watch them, once one of them makes a mistake of some sort I'll swoop in."

And I did just that, I hope they won't be sitting by the painting, pretending to look like they were doing something when we all know they were watching everyone else.

They looked different then what they looked at the Reaping, both looked decently fed. The boy had muscle, he reminded me of Fero.

Thankfully they finally got up going to the weapons, both of them always went to the same station. I mentally noted they must be close, or at least for the games.

They did the bow, not my first choice but if you see the other before they see you it's an useful tool to sneak up on them with. And if you can shoot really good, I guess you can be lethal.

The boy sucked, the girl wasn't horrible but nothing that would kill right away. They did every station the careers were furthest away from, also noted.

The axes were next to the rope climbing station where the boy went, the girl stayed by the axes trying the throwing axes.

I watched the boy, he can climb I suppose he did plenty of that at home at least he'll be safe at night. Or so I thought, he was climbing close to the edge making the rope net flip, the boy falling with a huge crash.

The whole training center went silent looking at the boy who looked to be unconscious. The careers wasted no time laughing making the girl from 12 shake her head in fraustration.

" Ouch." I hear Finnick say before snickering.

Evie rushed over to the boy going with Peacekeepers to the nurses. I see the girl go but Evie pushes her back saying something before she closes the door.

My turn.

" I'll be back." I mention to Cato. He looks to where the girl was standing smirking, " Good luck."

She was back at trying to throw the axes, but failing horribly. Her form was crap, she was throwing to late dragging the axe down and she never followed through.

" As soon as that axe passes your ear, let go."

She jumps twirling back to look at me. Her face clenched as she looked at me but her eyes were wide. She was trying to look tough but her eyes told a way different story.

" What do you want?" She asked.

I felt my lips tilt up, she was very straight forward. I can only imagine the conversations between Evie and her.

" Just trying to help."

She turns back around, " I don't need help."

She grabs another axe, I watch her hand which is now shakey as she grabs another axe.

I watch her trying to keep my mouth shut as she shows me even more flaws the before as she tried to throw it, which she messes up so bad and threw it with such force, it flew completely past the dummies colliding with the wall.

Again a huge clang rang out making the room silent as everyone looks at us. I look around with a smirk at everyone, all their expressions different.

The girl turns glaring at me, " If your going to make fun of me, please do it somewhere else."

I grab a small axe tipping to in my hands to feel te weight before looking back at her. " Are you ready for a couple more tips yet?"

" And why would 2 want to help me huh?!"

I was a little taken back by her temper, but still I smile. " Because your mentor was my tribute."

" That has nothing to do with me."

" She's not here to teach you. I am. Just a couple tips."

She eyes me up before sighing. " Fine."

" Perfect."

I picked at every little thing she did, we changed everything. I would throw then she would, we went back and fourth until she could actually hit the target in a kill area.

" Good job." I says giving a small smile of triumph.

Once she hit the dummy for the first time, that look of satisfaction rushed to her face. She quickly snapped out of it though, remembering I was there.

" A thank you would be nice." I mention smartly.

She furrows her brows, " Why? You volunteered to help."

I chuckled, " Fine. Now I expect you to last longer then the first day understood?"

" Crystal." She sneers.

I was just about to walk away, " Hey!"

She turns looking at me blankly, " What?"

" What's your name? I never caught it yet."

Octavia Avril ( 12)

She straightens, " Octavia."

My smile grows," Kaylaya."

The slightest smile spread across her lips before they were blank again looking at me.

I turn on my heel walking back towards Cato who was standing next to Finnick and River all 3 looking at me.

" Make it anymore obvious gentlemen." I mumbled walking past them, they follow.

" Why were you talking to 12?" Finnick asks.

" Why were you helping 12 is the real question." River butts in looking disgusted.

Of course I wasn't going to tell him the real reason, that'll make us look weak, " Her form was driving me crazy. Plus now the careers have someone good to hunt. I wanted to make it a little more interesting."

River narrowed his eyes at me before looking back at whatever was behind me. " What are you standing around for? FIGHT!"

I turned to see all our careers sitting, drinking some water, what do they think they're doing?

" No point, training is done in 3 minutes."

" We need to have a chat." Shimmer whispered to me, " Well, all of us. We'll have it on our floor."

I nod, " Come on!" I yell to my tributes. They gather put back the weapons they were using following all of us to the elevator,

It was a tight fit but we all made it. There was only a little chatter from the tributes but other then that it was silent.

It felt like 1 and 4 kept looking at me, no I'm thinking that. It wasn't until I felt a hand slip into mine and Cato giving me a glance they actually were.

And I have a feeling I know what this 'meeting' is about though it was stupid. Hopefully once I explain they'll understand.

And of course, a soon as the door shut Shimmer piped up. " Why would you help 12?"

" I wanted to know more about them."

" What's there to know? They're weak." River chimed in giving me a venomous look.

I glanced over at the tributes who's eyes were on me also, mine especially. If I said they were worried they'd seem weak.

" They stole the parade I wanted to make sure they won't be outshining anyone else."

I see a relieved look from Hazel, good. River scoffed, " You were worried about 12, that's the best thing I've heard all year."

" You do realize they were trained by Evangeline. Evangeline was trained by Kaylaya and I. They have potential." Cato snapped looking around the room.

" They don't." River barked.

" Two words, Johanna Mason. I think she had everyone fooled besides herself. Never can be to sure."

" That doesn't explain why you were helping her so much." Finnick says crossing his arms.

" I taught her to throw an axe, it was very basic. I was just trying to learn, you need to give so they return the favor."

" And what did you find out?" Poulter asked.

I shrugged, " Not a lot. She was tight lipped, maybe she would've been a little less if a whole village wasn't looking at us. But... The boy I don't think we need to worry about he seemed clumsy and never saw him touch a weapon. The girl as we can all see is a fast learner."

" Who can now throw an axe." Finnick cocks his head, " Thanks for that."

" She can't throw exactly. What's a still object." Cato noted.

" I will admit, it's a good plan." Poulter murmured, " Just as long as it keeps our own in our best interest."

" It was only to see if they were a threat."

" And are they?"

" I think the girl is." I state.

Shimmer looks over to the tributes, " You hear that? Kill the girl first."

" We'll have to keep an eye on them. Since Kaylaya had the great idea she can do that. Since you know...you are friends with 12." River exaggerated.

" Done." I snapped.

He smirked, " Good."

Finnick clears is throat, " Well, on a different note see any other competition?"

Everyone shakes their heads, good sign I suppose. All I know is who they're teaming up with but I already exploited enough of them. They deserve a chance.

" Good. we'll keep watch tomorrow." Shimmer stated before they all left.

Cato closed the door behind them, ordering food before he came back to me. " Your playing quite the game you know." Cato mumbles.

" I'm not sure what your talking about." I say as I sit at the table.

" Don't give me that Kaylaya.. First you tell me your worried for 12, then you tell them about her girl. I'm not quite sure I know who you want to win."

I sit back clenching my jaw, " I think we should all have an even shot at winning."

" It's not an even game your putting out."

" What does it matter if I told them or not?"

" If you told them, OUR tributes know who to go after first."

" We need to make them work a little bit."

" The sooner they kill everyone the sooner they-"

" Cato, the faster they kill the faster they'll go after eachother. If they need to hunt they learn weaknesses, strategy... then they can use that to kill them."

" It goes the same way for our tributes."

I huff, the food coming out. " Some will be dead by the time the finals are. If we tell them to use mediocre weapons until scores they should be fine. When they'r in the games they'll have more to worry about then focusing on what weapons we're using."

" 1-"

" 1 and 4 aren't that smart." I mention. " I see a threat and I was just trying to use it for our best interest."

Cato loads food on his plate, " We just need to be careful."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.4K 572 26
𝗜 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗮𝗹𝘄𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘆 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗮𝗿𝗲. 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗾𝘂𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗶𝘀, 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗯𝗲 𝗮𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗹𝗼�...
19.8K 291 21
A Cato Hadley x OC story. Suzzane Collins owns all the characters except for Birch. Enjoy!
81.9K 1.6K 23
The 66th Hunger Games. The Games that shocked the world. The most brutal games that Panem has yet to see. The tributes from two are in for a world of...
228K 6K 36
After all Katniss has been through, starvation, the games, losing the boy she started to love to the monster from two, can Katniss learn how to love...