The Curse of the Osirians

By baeareavibez

What happens when Nina & her sister, Layla arrive at Anubis House? What mysteries will they unlock? Read to f... More

Copyright/CopyWRITE
Character Details
House of Secrets
House of Attitude
House of the Black Bird
House of Dares
House of Locks
House of Keys
House of Discovery
House of Rumors
House of Proof
House of Alarms
House of Passages
House of Kidnap
House of Cameras
House of Scares
House of Emergency
House of Reunion
House of Drama
House of Risk
House of Hazard
House of Rescue
House of Hoax
House of Aliens
House of Masks
House of Yesterday
House of Venom
House of the Stars
House of Allegiance
House of Pests
House of Revelation
House of Spies
House of Forever
House of Hello
House of Spirits
House of Rivals
House of Myths
House of Combinations
House of Tunnels
House of Protection
House of Who
House of Chance
House of Vertigo
House of Deja Vu
House of Deceit
House of Sibuna
House of Pendulums
House of Phobias
House of Curfew
House of Webs
House of Keepers
House of Stings
House of Wires
House of Names
House of Genius
House of Hex
House of Warnings
House of Laments
House of Alibis
House of Oblivion
New Story

House of Accusations

457 12 0
By baeareavibez

Layla's POV

"Guys, we saw Victor in the cellar mixing chemicals. He's brewing elixir again," Nina said as she and Fabian joined us in the drama studio later.

"Oh, that could be bad," Amber commented.

"How are the chemical riddles coming?" Alfie asked.

"I'm still stuck on "sweet scent of mourning," Fabian replied.

"Hmm. Well, good luck with that," Alfie said as he blew a whistle in Amber's face.

"Oh. Alfie, I'm right here!" she cried out.

"Jerome made me coach, and you've got training. So three laps around the school and squats and lunges. Times 20. Go!" Alfie instructed.

*****

"Mara, how could you write this?" Fabian said with a sigh the next morning.

"Personally I think Mara is on to something," I said sticking up for her. She sent me a grateful smile. Besides she wasn't wrong. There was something seriously off with Vera.

"Write what?" Amber asked.

"What if they close down the school site because of it?" Fabian said.

"Chill, man. The story was off the chain. It had to come out," Eddie said.

"Shocked face. Mara, you destroyed her," Amber chimed in.

"I stand by everything I wrote, and I'm going to prove it," Mara said.

"Yeah, you go, girl," Eddie cheered.

"There is to be a hearing today to ascertain the legitimacy or otherwise of a story which has appeared on the school website. I am instructing all Anubis house students to attend and hear the truth!" Victor told us as he came into the room.

"Sorry, Mara," Amber said quickly.

"Why a hearing?" Eddie asked.

"We're all behind you. It'll be okay," Amber reassured her.

"Yeah," I agreed as the others left the table.

"Okay, sweet scent of mourning essence. What is it?" Fabian asked once it was just us three at the table.

"And it's "mourning" as in funerals, not "morning" as in breakfast," Nina pointed out.

"Yeah, right. You okay?" He asked as she held up some of her food.

"Yeah, I'm okay," she replied as she continued to hold her food out. Um...what was she doing?

"You can have it," Fabian said confused.

"No, smell it. It smells familiar like - It's like one of the jars from the tunnels," she said as she made me smell it as well.

"Cinnamon," I exclaimed.

"The Egyptians used lots of spices in embalming. Wait. "Cinnamon: A Spice from the bark of the cinnamomum tree. In the ancient world, it was widely used in funerals and in the process of mummification," Fabian recited as he read from his book.

"Gran always said breakfast was the most important meal of the day," I grinned at Nina.
Another clue solved!

*****

"This hearing has been called to determine the accuracy of an article written by Mara Jaffray about Vera Devenish. We should begin in a few moments," Mr. Sweet said as everyone was gathered in the drama studio.

"Hey, now's our chance," Nina whispered, hoping we could sneak back to the house.

"Be seated. This is an official hearing. Could someone please close the doors?" Mr. Sweet asked as he noticed us trying to leave.

"Allow me, Mr. Sweet," Victor said.

"We could be solving the task," Fabian whispered in frustration.

"Quiet, everyone. Mara, could you please present your case first?"

"Nina, are you okay?" I asked as she suddenly gasped and clutched her arm.

"No," she said quietly.

"What is it?" Fabian asked.

"I don't know, but it's bad. Really bad," she told us. I was guessing it had to do with Senkhara.

"Miss Devenish, You worked as a clerk.
At Beacon Grove school nine years ago. Is that right?" Mara asked.

"I wouldn't have put it on my resume if it weren't," she replied.

"So can you explain why you are not in this photo of the entire kitchen team when they won the award for excellence that year?" Mara said as she pulled up a photo on her computer that was then projected on a larger screen for everyone to view.

"I arrived at the beginning of the academic year, which starts in September. What is the date of that article, Mara?" She asked.

"April 20th," Mara said slowly looking suddenly uncertain. Uh oh.

"Five months before I arrived," Vera pointed out.

"Mr. Choudhry. You recommended Vera for the job, but you told me you barely know her," Mara said switching gears.

"She was a friend of a friend. I was happy to make the recommendation," he said.

"Did you think it strange Vera was the only applicant?" Mara prompted.

"I wouldn't know about that," Fabian's godfather replied.

"Mara, I'm confused. Are you questioning.
Mr. Choudhary's character now too? Do you have any scruples at all about whose reputation you tarnish?" Vera stated.

"I'm trying to establish how you came to get the job here and why," Mara said.

"Mr. Sweet hired me. Perhaps you'd like to interrogate him next," Vera said sarcastically.

"I just want to know the truth," Mara declared.

"In which case, I'm even more confused. I thought you were claiming to already know the truth when you wrote that article," she pointed out.

"No. I mean, I did," Mara argued. This wasn't exactly looking good for her. But I still agreed that something was off.

"Let's stick to the facts, shall we? Or rather the lack of them. Mara, please move on," Mr. Sweet told her.

"Your last job was as a housekeeper. At Dewsbury manor three years ago. Mr. Hendry was your employer. Is that correct?" Mara asked.

"Yes."

"I spoke to a man there who told me Mr. Hendry died. Over 20 years ago," stated Mara as all the students murmured in surprise.

"Mr. Sweet, I would like to introduce someone who will put an end to this nonsense once and for all, if I may," Vera said as she opened the door to reveal an elderly gentleman in a wheelchair. "This is Mr. Hendry, and I think you will find he is very much alive."

"Vera was with us for many years. She was a wonderful cook and her chocolate cake? Mmm.
Out of this world," the man said.

"I don't believe it for a second," I whispered to Nina as I watched him a Vera exchanging conciliatory glances.

"But you told me Mr. Hendry was dead," Mara said.

"I'm sorry, my dear, but I've never seen you before in my life," said the supposed Mr. Hendry.

"I came to see you. Don't you remember?" Mara exclaimed.

"Possibly. My memory is not as good as it used to be, but I can assure you, I do remember my own name," he replied.

"Thank you for your time, Mr. Hendry," said Mr. Sweet.

"Mr. Sweet, I honestly," Mara tried to say.

"Enough," Mr. Sweet declared.

"And I did go to," Mara tried again.

"Silence!" Mr. Sweet demanded as suddenly a video started playing on the screen of him in a cowboy outfit dancing with a group of people. Causing all the students to laugh. "Turn this off immediately. Turn it off! Daphne. Daphne, help me! We will take a short break," he called out as he finally managed to turn the screen off by unplugging it.

"Now's our chance," Fabian said as we quickly stood up and left the room to head back to the house.

"Vera's on trial, and Sweetie's a line-dancing cowboy. See, this is what I'm missing when we're down in those tunnels," Amber commented as we walked into the hallway.

"Shh! Victor's coming up the cellar stairs," I warned as we all rushed to hide as we heard the sound of his steps.

"Okay, he's gone. Let's go," Nina said once he was out of sight. "Has he been in here?" She asked once we had made our way through the tunnels.

"How could he? He hasn't got an amulet," Amber pointed out.

"I know, but I don't trust him. Okay, look, we took those amulets right off of him, and he's done nothing about it? That's pretty weird, isn't it?" Nina said. I nodded in agreement. It seemed completely plausible. Especially with Senkhara's warning about a raven.

"Okay. Salt," Fabian said as he dumped some of the first bottle in.

"Finally. Here goes," I said as I dumped in the rest of the bottles as Nina handed them to me.

"Okay, stand back," Fabian warned as we waited for the reaction.

"Oh. Did we get it wrong?" Nina asked as there didn't seem to be any noticeable reaction.

There was a loud crash as Fabian touched the door and it suddenly fell forward.

"No, we didn't! Well, come on," Fabian exclaimed as we walked in.

"Wait. Don't you think something about that door was a little odd?" Nina asked.

"Look, the chemicals work differently than we expected. That's all. Relax. We're doing great," Fabian reassured her but I thought she had a point.

"Oh. Some kind of instrument?" Nina said as we stared at the object in the center of the next room.

"Yay, singing. Daddy says I have the voice of an angel," Amber exclaimed.

"Makes sense. It's Hathor, goddess of the arts," Fabian mumbled as he pointed to a image on the wall. "Should I have a go?" He asked.

"Wait. We should get back before we're missed.
We'll come down later with the others," I suggested, not wanting to get in trouble when Mara was already on trial.

"Good call. I want to catch up with mara-gate and sheriff Sweetie," Amber said as we headed back down the tunnels.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 104 6
Fabian's twin sister has finally joined House of Anubis, and she's caught the attention of all her house mates. Particularly, Jerome Clarke. A Jerom...
139K 5.2K 71
~ warning: this is actually cringy writing of fetus me so..~ Everyone in the Anubis house graduated and went off to college, but over the summer, Alf...
44.6K 1.1K 69
Seems like even the old Sibunas have left the building, everything at the Anubis house is getting more intense, but what will the newbies do when the...
87.6K 3K 81
❝rise in peace.❞ At nearly eighteen years old, Ashley Adams has had a much more complicated life than others her age. Besides the normal issues teen...