Memories in the Moonlight

By youreicky

(Ongoing) Harlow is not who she thinks she is. She is leading a double life, and does not even know it. On on... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 8

49 16 10
By youreicky

The streets were empty outside, devoid of life. Of course it was a late Monday evening, so most were inside with their families, but it was creepy nonetheless. The frigid air blew around freshly fallen snow, small drifts forming on the edges of the road. Up above, the moon shone brightly in the cloudless sky. It appeared larger than normal.

Harlow knew it was probably a bad idea to go on this walk with Kiran, but something in her knew she had to. They walked in silence for a while, making their way down the block and towards the nearby city park. Harlow hadn't so much as heard another person. If Kiran were about to murder her, there was no doubt he would end up getting away to it. In the park, Kiran led her to a bench and motioned for her to sit down, following afterwards.

The bench was cold and damp through her sweatpants. Peering around, Harlow noticed they were out of view of the street and nearby houses. Who in the world decided this was a good set up for a park? Sure, it was nice to have so many trees around, but incredibly unsafe. She had completely convinced herself that she would not make it out of this alive.

Harlow took in a deep breath, gripping her hands together tightly. She at least wanted to get some answers out of whatever the hell this was. "So, can you explain that list to me?" She spoke softly, keeping her eyes lowered to her lap.

Next to her, Kiran sighed, the creaking of the bench indicating that he shifted positions towards her. "It's not that easy, Harlow." He replied.

Whipping her head to face him, Harlow felt anger melt over her features. "What the hell do you mean 'it's not that easy', Kiran." She spat out his name as if it were venomous. The least he could do was explain before she became worm food. Or psycho stalker food.

He raised his eyebrows at her tone, his lips quirking up. "Always an attitude with you. I'm trying to say it would be easier if I showed you." Kiran leaned forwards, lifting a hand towards her.

Harlow pulled back instinctively. "Don't fucking touch me." She snapped out, fear pounding in her chest.

"Please. You'll understand, you'll know everything." He spoke softly, getting closer still. Kiran's hand hovered above her head, shaking slightly.

She stared up at his hand in pure terror. Her vision began to tunnel, heart screaming against her ribs. Every bone in Harlow's body was telling her to run, but some part deep inside her was telling her to stay. That little part was loud and pushing hard to reach her. A wicked battle was being waged inside of her, and she knew who the winner would be.

Harlow succumbed to the small, fiery part of herself and nodded once. She leaned her head forwards, towards the guy that held her life in his outstretched fingers. Her terror began to fade away, waves being pulled back out to sea. The feeling was replaced by something along the lines of acceptance, though she couldn't quite place it.

Slowly and gingerly, Kiran lowered his hand and rested it upon her forehead. He applied no pressure, just allowing his fingertips to touch. Taking a long breath in, he moved his other hand to touch her cheek in the same manner. "It's time to remember. You need to remember, Harlow Adara." He spoke quietly, though his voice was infused with purpose.

Harlow clenched her jaw, bracing herself for whatever he was about to do. Her eyes were closed as tightly as they could be. The pair sat there in silence for what felt like forever. Wind whipped around them, blowing icy snow particles onto Harlow's exposed face.

She eventually cracked an eye open, peering up at Kiran's face. His eyes were shut tightly as well, eyebrows screwed up in concentration. She watched him for a few moments, becoming more confused as the seconds ticked on. Suddenly her vision began to fade, pulsing in and out with the beat of her heart. It wasn't long before she couldn't see at all, her body going limp and slumping forward into Kiran.

When Harlow opened her eyes again, the moon was much higher in the sky than it had been before. How much time had passed? Where was she? Questions raced in her head as she tried to piece the world together around her. She wiggled the fingers of her right hand, feeling a soft, clothing-like material. Pressing harder, she felt a body part.

She instantly tensed up, narrowing her eyes like a predator. That was not her body part. Harlow took a deep breath in through her nose. Trees, snow, and something else. Something almost male smelling. She inhaled again and was met with the scent of cedar and rain. Her blood grew cold in her veins and her muscles primed to run.

"Hello, Harlow." The male spoke softly as if not to startle her. She knew instantly who it was by his scent, but the confirmation of his voice just made it worse.

Harlow sat up slowly, realizing her head had been laid in his lap for gods knew how long. "Hello, Kiran." She replied, venom dripping off her words. Turning to look at him, she noticed he hadn't changed at all.

Her instinct was to fight, but she knew that there must be a reason he had chosen to meet with her. However, she couldn't remember being asked to a meeting, nor agreeing to one. In fact, she couldn't remember much of what she had done recently. Everything seemed to be covered in a layer of fog.

"I take it you remember?" Kiran spoke again, voice colder this time.

"Remember what exactly? How much I want to murder you?" She snapped back, clenching her fists at her sides. Her narrowed eyes scanned the trees, looking for anyone else waiting to ambush her. "Where even are we?" She added on, noting she was in an unfamiliar territory.

Kiran furrowed his brows before chuckling. "I guess I didn't do the ritual exactly right."

"Typical. Wait, what ritual?" She shot her eyes back towards him again, taking in his relaxed posture. It really didn't seem like he planned on fighting her.

They had been enemies for years, since his father had decided to execute Harlow's brother. The only family she had left was ripped from her for something so petty as a missing spell book. Before that her and Kiran had been lovers, sneaking off together in the moonlight when his family wasn't watching. What young fools they had been, barely alive past a century.

"I gave you your memories back. It's time for you to come home." He replied, resting his elbows on his knees and clasping his hands together.

Harlow's eyebrows lifted skyward and her skin pricked with anger. "You took my memories?" She stood slowly, feeling heat lick through her veins. Unclenching her fist, she lifted a palm towards him. "Explain. Now."

He chuckled again, standing along with her. "Easy now, tiger. You may remember but your fire is still locked down," His voice was stern and gravelly, his arms crossed over his broad chest. "After your little stunt, the King had nowhere to hold you. So we took your memories, snuffed your powers, and sent you to the human realm until we could rebuild." The words came out of his mouth calmly, but there was a grating edge behind them.

"Where were my memories?" Harlow snapped out, completely disoriented by the situation.

Kiran stepped closer, so near that their bodies were almost touching. "I had them. It was nice to relive some old times from your perspective." His breath was hot on her face.

She groaned audibly, shoving her fingers into her hair. "Oh for fucks sake."

"Indeed. We had better get going now. The people of Vrahan are waiting on you." Kiran stood straight again, stepping around her to leave the area.

Harlow stayed where she stood, just turning to face his back as he walked away. "And if I don't go with you?" She called, causing him to still in his tracks.

He didn't even bother to face her. "Then I am under strict orders to kill you where you stand. Wouldn't be much of a fight though, your fire is gone." In a show of mockery, he lifted his palm at his side, allowing a a ball of his purple light to form above it.

Harlow huffed loudly, and she could hear Kiran snickering ahead of her. She begrudgingly began to walk towards him, and once she was near enough he continued his pace.

"How long of a journey?" Harlow asked, bitterly accepting her circumstances.

Kiran continued to walk a couple paces ahead of her, his arms swinging loosely at his sides. "Two days time." He spoke, still keeping up that arrogant attitude.

Groaning yet again, Harlow shoved her curls out of her face and stomped on. She knew that whatever lie ahead in Vrahan wouldn't be pleasant. What she had done to the kingdom was unforgivable, not a single soul would dispute that. At least she had two days time to anxiously think of what punishments awaited her.

• • •

Hi guys!!

Soooo kind of a big bombshell on this one :) I was so excited to write this, I did it all in one go! So if you guys notice any mistakes please let me know!!

Thank you so much again for reading!

Big love,
Ari

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.8K 572 33
Some people are more unlucky than others, Evelyn knows this more than most, after being kidnapped from her house she finds herself at the mercy of cr...
208K 7.5K 43
Harlow is the Wolf Queen, having been without her mate for years she rules over all the wolves alone. She is quick to take down those that threaten...
1.7M 43.6K 113
Mature. Viewer Discretion is advised. *The people inside of this work are FACE-CLAIMS. This has no correlation to any IRL individual.* *This is messy...
2K 152 24
Valdis must navigate the world after her brothers death leaving her bonded to his four friends. She must fight dark forces, a corrupt Kingdom's way o...