VOLKO

נכתב על ידי Dorothy_Bell_

When Megan Young agreed to spend the summer with her estranged father, she hadn't anticipated his right hand... עוד

Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty- Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Notes

Chapter Nineteen

194 7 2
נכתב על ידי Dorothy_Bell_

As promised Laura showed me to my room, making friendly chat along the way. By the time I reached the room I felt a warmth towards Laura, she talked so fondly and opening about her family I felt like I knew them too.

My room was very in keeping with the rest of the house. Everything was exactly what I had expected, from the light cream walls to the dark wood furniture. It gave off a homey vibe, something Robert's house had been missing.

Here, the rooms felt lived in and alive.

Next to my bed sat my suitcase, ignoring that completely, I bypassed straight to the balcony. Light flooded the room wherever possible but nothing compared to that feeling of heat on your skin.

Whether all the rooms had this amazing view, I had no idea, but mine overlooked all of the grounds. Below was a garden that had the most beautiful and colourful flowers blooming so that I could see them two storages up. I made a mental note to check them out later.

Then there was an area of patio, where I suspected the family hosted outdoor events. At the moment, only a dinner table sat in the area, surrounded by staff setting it. Giving me a hint of what to expect tonight.

All of that fell into the background when my eyes saw the vineyards. I'd seen them in films and thought how beautiful they looked. Now I was actually seeing one, I knew no film had done them justice. Long lines of grapes bathing in the sunlight. With the evening sun slowly setting behind just added to the charm.

Walking down the vineyard talking intensely were Dean and Marco. Behind my father and John followed, silently from the looks of things. Jake as always trailed after, examining the grapes and occasionally popping one in his mouth which I couldn't help but smile at.

Before long my eyes found themselves back on Dean, how did that always happen? Like my body couldn't stop itself from admiring him. Even now, the way he moved, the passion in his expression whilst he talked and at times laughed.

I loved his laugh, it completely changed him. Maybe it was because he hardly did or maybe it was because it showed how human he actually was. Whatever the reason, I just enjoyed watching it.

Jake was right, Dean was much more than security. The guy had a way about him, something I couldn't quite put my finger on. Like confidence but much more than that. His aura attracted people.

As if sensing me looking, Dean turned in my direction. We were too far apart for me to see if he was looking at me, but I knew he was. I felt his eyes scanning over me, the hairs on my arms stood up. A reaction I'd become accustomed to.

Marco's head followed Dean's, unlike Dean, Marco waved friendly at me. Very conscious of myself, I raised my hand and waved back. Dean didn't, instead he carried on his conversation with Marco as though nothing had happened, effectively blocking me out. I tried to push the hurt feeling away, that was Dean I told myself.

Instead I called someone who I knew would take my mind off of Dean, Gemma.

Her perfectly symmetrical face appeared on the screen looking stunning as always. I'd have been envious of Gemma if I hadn't known what it had cost her.

"Hey, let me just move this conversation to my office."

"Your office, very fancy." Gemma walked through the office, smiling as she passed people. Seeing Gemma's fake smile made me chuckle. She was so bad at it. It looked more like a question, or like she was in physical pain. Either way, she needed to stop before people began to think she'd shit herself.

"Okay, it's just a section of a massive room but it's quite big." Turning the phone around, Gemma showed me her 'office'. It consisted of a desk, chair, computer, phone and a plant pot, with a screen separating her from everyone.

"How is the job going?" Without any further probing Gemma launched into everything. Never had I seen Gemma so excited, this time her face lit up with genuine happiness.

I listened as she spoke about the designs she'd done, and how her boss loved them. I filled her in on the fact I was in Italy (Gemma's favourite holiday destination, I walked her through the room, even showing her the ensuite. Gemma mentioned that Chase had gotten into some trouble with the police, nothing serious but he wasn't in his parents' good books.

However, the cute boys walking by in the background couldn't be ignored. Not because I found them attractive myself, but because they all peered over as they passed. Clearly checking out who Gemma was talking to. Of course, she'd been there for less than a week and already every boy fancied her.

"Damn, lots of cute boys." I said, knowing that would be the last thing she'd care about.

Gemma gave me a very unimpressed expression, confirming she didn't get a rats ass about them.

"Please, the guys here are so self obsessed." Gemma said as she sorted out her eyelashes using the phone as her mirror.

"You fit right in there."

Gemma tilted her head in a way that told me she wasn't bothered about others opinions. I loved that about her, the attitude of feeling so comfortable with who she was.

"I won't apologise for loving myself." And she didn't.

A rapid knock interrupted me before I could speak.

"Hold on." I jumped off the bed, I'd been laying down on and hurried to the door. To find Jake dressed for dinner. How long had Gemma and I been talking for?

"Food time." He simply said.

"Dam, that came fast, one minute." I ran back into my room, grabbing the phone which still had Gemma on the screen drawing. "Hey Gem, I'm really sorry I need to go, it's dinner time here."

"No worries, I have some work to do before I leave here. Have a great time in Italy and we'll talk when you're back?"

"Definitely."

We said our goodbyes. I quickly checked myself in the mirror, surprised by how good I looked in just wide legged trousers and a crop top.

When I joined Jake in the corridor again, his brow was creased with irritation. I notice him staring at the man posted outside my room. It was the first time I'd seen him there myself.

Without saying a word, Jake began to walk down the hall towards the dining room I assumed.

"What's with all the men? It seems like Dean is offering more than defence lessons." Jake asked once we were out of earshot of the guard. His aggressive tone annoyed me, we'd spend the day getting on okay and now he was about to ruin it.

"He's looking out for me, which is more than you are." I fired back, instantly regretting it. Getting defensive isn't going to help anyone I told myself.

My comment caused Jake to stop walking and head towards me, anger flashed in his eyes.

"I've already apologised for what happened with Dimitri. Don't let Dean fool you, Dimitri is his brother after all. If he really cared, he would have foreseen his brother's actions and acted before it became an issue. But he let it play out, and also stood by as father condemned you instead of Dimitri." Waves of rage crashed off of Jake, each one taking a notch. "Have you considered the possibility that Dean wants you to trust him? What better way than to make you believe he's the only one who can protect you."

Jake didn't wait for a response, he left and rounded the corner before I was able to fully understand what he was suggesting.

Yet again Jake talked in riddles rather than just giving it to me straight. He was so frustrating to be around because I had to work everything out, including him.

Plus, what he said made no sense. Why would Dean want me to only trust him? There would be no point in that, he was here to protect Robert. Unless Jake thought Robert was using Dean to turn me against him? No that made no sense either, what would that accomplish?

Why did my family have to be so complicated?

"Are you Victoria's replacement? I sure hope so." The thick Italian voice appeared from around a corner. Dress in another gorgeous satin dress which clung to her body in all the right places. I really needed to find out where this lady shopped. Brunette locks trembled around her shoulders. In one hand she held a nearly empty wine glass.

This lady was pure sex appeal.

"Sorry to disappoint but no. I'm Robert's daughter." My voice sounded as unsure as I felt.

"Robert doesn't have a daughter." Rosa tilted her head, and narrowed her eyes, like she could see into my soul.

"Well, I exist."

Rosa downed the last of the wine and placed it on a nearby statue. She stared at me like a cat would a mouse, perhaps the guard could feel it too, that's why he stepped forward the moment Rosa began to circle me.

"She's safe. Back off, dog." Rosa glared as the guard silently stepped back into the shadows. "So where is the delightful Victoria?"

"Back in England." I answered artlessly.

Rosa face broke out into the first smile I'd seen, happy about the news. Maybe she and I did have something in common after all.

"Almost perfect. The only thing which would make it better would be if she was fired or better yet dead. I guess we can't get everything we want. Rosa." For a minute I stared confused, until I realised she wanted to know my name.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Megan."

Any further conversation was cut short by the appearance of Marco, Dean and an older gentleman I believed to be Marco's dad from the similarities.

Marco began talking Italian to Rosa, while the older man held out his hand to me. I took it immediately, noting how warm he felt as his large hand covered mine.

"Miss Young, I'm Mario, Marco's father. I hope you've settled in well?" His eyes shined with genuine interest.

"Yes thank you. My room is beautiful and the views, I've never seen anything so... perfect."

"You make an old man very happy. Come, we'll be dining outside tonight. Nothing is like a warm evening night." Mario led the way.

Dean placed his hand onto my back, I tried to not flinch away from the sudden contact. I kicked myself for allowing myself to be so overwhelmed by Dean's presence. The aftershave he wore crowded the air, not allowing me to forget he was there.

When we entered the patio Jake, Robert and the rest of our party were standing around chatting. They quickly fell silent as Mario entered the room. He made light small talk before taking his place at the head of the table.

The moment Dean's hand dropped from my back I missed the contact. 

Robert sat purposefully to his left, indicating for Dean to sit next to him like we were back at school. Jake's posture when ridged he watched the interaction. I could hardly blame him, first the journey over, now this.

Marco, being the best host, pulled the chair out for me, then took the seat next to me. Not wanting Jake to feel unwanted I patted the free seat which Jake took instantly.

Even though there was a slight uneasy feeling coming from Jake, Marco's calm manner made it easy to feel comfortable.

Mario began to talk to Dean mostly in Italian, although I tried to listen to Marco I couldn't help myself trying to decipher the language. I made a mental note to myself that when I got back home I'd make an effort to learn Italian. Thinking about the look of surprise on their faces if I suddenly started talking Italian made me smile.

The food was incredible, and they didn't disappoint on portion sizes either. Once everyone was finished with the main course, the atmosphere seemed to have completely changed. Jake chatted animatedly to Rosa, Dean and Mario where in what appeared to be a very serious yet funny conversation. Every now and then Marco would look over and chuckle.

I wished I'd started the visit with my family here, perhaps it would have gone more smoothly.

The sun had now set, but the mass of fairy lights created a glow around the table and down into the gardens. A very romantic scene if I hadn't been with my family.

"You must tell me the story of how you discovered each other? Did you know your great grandfather was Italian?" Mario asked, sitting back with wine in his hand, like he was preparing himself for a very interesting story.

"Yeah, however that's pretty much all I know." I answered honestly.

Mario's accusing eyes turned to Robert with shock. "Robert, what poor form. Your daughter should know all of our history. We have years of it."

"I've been too interested in getting to know my daughter. Must have slipped my mind." Robert said tight lipped.

Mario studied Robert, most likely weighing up the argument that would follow if he persuaded the point.

"Perhaps you'd like to accompany us around the vineyards tomorrow." Mario offered kindly.

"That's for business." Robert sharply added. Blood rushed to my face from the obvious sign that Robert didn't want me there.

Before I could politely decline the offer, not wishing to be somewhere I wasn't wanted or embarrassed further, Mario spoke, equally as sharply.

"We can discuss business, my son will show Megan around."

"I'd love to." Marco smiled brightly at me.

Dam, why couldn't these people have been my family, I thought bitterly. Everything would be that much simpler. No weird family politics that I have to navigate and end up pissing everyone off anyway.

"Would you like that Megan?" Mario asked me solely. I knew even if Robert protested Mario would still make sure it happened.

Saying they cared about me was a step too far, they barely knew me. But in the time they had, I'd felt more welcome than I ever had with Robert and Jake.

"Yeah, isn't that what we're here for?" I beamed at Mario. They were infectious to be around, their good vibes were exactly what I needed after the week I'd had.

Mario looked very pleased with my decision, and so did Marco.

"We have many beautiful beaches as well." Marco added once talk had moved away from me. Robert looked pissed off and I'm sure I'd regret it later on, but at this moment I felt good and happy.

"I love the beach, not so much the sand but the sun, and the water. I love swimming." Talking to Marco came easily, he laughed so freely it was a lovely sound to hear. I found myself laughing along.

"We get plenty of sun here, you're always welcome to come back. You'll be our honour guest. Tell me what is it you do? Work wise."

For the rest of dessert Marco spent chatting with me. I told him how Mr C had pulled strings to get me into university, and why I lived with them. Marco listened without judgement, offering friendly advice wherever possible.

I ignored the heat of Dean's eyes throughout the evening, pushing away the impulse to meet his gaze with my own.

That night I went to bed the happiest I had since leaving the Cotton's house. 

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

325 27 37
"Will I ever find out why you call me Rose? That's not my name." I asked him playfully. "You are my "Rose". Beautiful and gentle to look at, but touc...
661K 12.9K 44
❝𝙋𝙖𝙞𝙣 𝙄𝙨 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙊𝙣𝙡𝙮 𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙏𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙄𝙨 𝘾𝙤𝙣𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙩, 𝙎𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚𝙨 𝘼𝙡𝙡 𝙄 𝙃𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙄𝙨 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙋𝙖𝙞𝙣❞ - 𝘽𝙖𝙞𝙡𝙚𝙮...
206K 4.3K 54
She's a girl with a powerful family. He's a guy who runs his own mafia. So why do they have anything to do with each other? Why does he have to be he...