A Ghost's Wish [MxM]

By Hopestrife

[COMPLETED] Oliver Kardos was the General of Bierze and Guardian of the Realms. He had dedicated his life to... More

1. A Ghost
2. A Ghost's Request
3. A Ghost's Parade
4. Anima Wish
5. A Wish
6. A Ghost Returns
7. An Insulting Proposal
8. A Ghost Becomes a Trainee
9. An Informant
10. A Ghost, a Priest, and a Thief Walk Into Bar
11. An Old Foe
12. An Alibi
13. A Ghost Wrapped in Mystery
14. An Expected Invitation
15. A Spar
16. A Ball
17. A Break Up
18. A Confrontation in the Gardens
19. A Farewell
20. A Brawl
21. A Threat
22. A Battle
23. A Welcome Home
24. A Rescue
25. A Dream
26. A King
27. A Guest
28. A Prisoner
29. A Breakdown
30. A Vision
32. A Nest
33. A Roar
34. A Wyvern
35. A Dragon King
36. A Request to Leave
37. A Threat
38. A Conference
39. A Motive
40. A Night [M]
41. A Brand
42. A Summons
43. A Skirmish
44. Guarded
45. Choices
46. A Visitor
47. A Golden Cage
48. An Old Friend
49. An Heir
50. A Rucrean King
51. Reunited
52. A Traitor
53. Terms of Surrender
54. A Guardian
55. Desire [M]
56. An Attack
57. A Monster
58. A Messanger
59. Four Generals
60. An Explosion
61. A Stampede
62. War
63. An End
64. A Ghost's Wish [End]
Epilogue

31. Moonlight

9.4K 677 257
By Hopestrife

The winter was harsh in Wynter, and the ice and winds constantly beat against the manor's walls. Oliver had bathed already and was only wearing a pair of loose pants. His figure was sitting at his desk in front of piles of paperwork, but his eyes were drawn to the window as he watched the snowfall.

There was a hunting accident earlier in the day, and his soldier's death certificate was left untouched on his desk. He should be used to these matters, considering he had signed enough death certificates to break his wrist. But this was the first one of this lifetime.

He thought back to all the people who had died around him, including Sarah, who had sat down with him for a long conversation today. Besides Imran and Antony, her death had left him with the greatest emotional scar.

She was there for him when he donned the titles of General and Guardian and helped him learn how to lead. The memories flooded him like a dream as he recalled that ill-fated battle.

He had planned well for the battle ahead of him, but what he did not take into account was the Abrorgeans finding an ally in Osmela. He remembered his dread when he saw the large army approach. Fighting Abrorgeans was one matter, but fighting paladins and priests with holy magic was entirely different.

He adapted quickly, given the circumstances, and ordered his troops to defend. But the formations he ordered were wrong. He made a mistake and watched as many men fell to the blades of the paladins. He also hesitated when he called for a retreat because he was distracted by the death surrounding him. He didn't see the female paladin approaching him. He missed how she swung her sword down toward him. But he caught every detail when Sarah threw herself in front of the blade.

She died in his arms, and the last word on her lips was, "Live..."

Oliver ran his hand through his hair to straighten it and gingerly stood up from his chair. He walked out towards the balcony, letting the cold air hit him. However, his body no longer shivered in the cold. As he integrated more with the north, he felt a power inside him grow stronger.

He looked down at his palm and urged the strange power to accumulate there. A small wisp of ice and snow danced in his palm, and he smiled. He concentrated, and the ball of snow condensed and became a small sharp spike in his hands. He had started experimenting with the magic inside him while he was in Wynter, but it had only recently stabilized. He still had no idea how to use it in battle, but he was happy with this small bit for now.

He withdrew his magic and rested his elbows on the balcony railing. He gazed over the snow-covered training field and dense treeline, trying to distract his mind.

His thoughts have been weighty lately, recalling his past battles and regrets. Of all the battles he fought, he hated battle where Sarah died the most. It was his shame as a Generals—his mistakes killed thousands of men, including Sarah. He still could remember the face of the paladin who killed Sarah even now. That shock and fear that overwhelmed her expression as his sword swung towards her will forever be engraved in his mind.

The paladin was frightened, unwilling to die. At that moment, he knew that no one wanted to fight and die in this war, even his enemies. They were all thrust into this horrible scenario... all for a selfish wish.

He used to feel his failure like a thorn in his heart. And he used to detest the paladin. But now, he couldn't find these dark emotions within him. His time with Draco in this life had soothed him. He felt he could move forward instead of being tethered to his past.

Live... it was his every intention to do so.

He turned his gaze to Draco's balcony that was next to his. Draco hadn't joined him the last few nights, and Oliver had felt that his bed had become too empty. He had resorted to sitting at the desk or lying on the floor at night. The blanket on the ground was evidence of the nest he had made.

His concern had deepened because Draco seemed distant suddenly. The circles under his eyes proved that he had trouble sleeping.

Oliver bit his lip hesitantly but climbed on the railing and balanced himself as he walked toward Draco's. With a practiced leap, he softly landed on Draco's balcony. He felt improper as he looked into the glass doors and admonished himself for acting like a sleazy old ghost.

However, that feeling disappeared when he saw Draco tensing and thrashing in his sleep. Oliver opened the balcony doors and rushed to him. He crawled onto the bed and cradled Draco's head.

"Draco," he murmured. "Wake up for me."

However, the nightmare had a tight hold on Draco, and he didn't hear Oliver's words.

"Draco? My dragon? Wake up, please." He pleaded, but the result was the same.

Nothing seemed to wake him, not pushing his shoulder or words of affirmation. Oliver was at a loss but then remembered how Draco's old advisor used to hum an old song when Draco would become angry.

He didn't know the song's origins, but it was a tune he would never forget. So he held Draco, running his fingers through his raven black hair, and hummed the melody.

A tremble had run through Draco's body, and he released a shuddering breath. Oliver remained with him, feeling how his body relaxed within his embrace. His hands had moved from his hair and started to trace his chin. His fingers lingered on the scar on his jaw.

"Draco?" Oliver whispered, his eyes falling on his lips. He felt a heat rush through him as his finger lightly brushed against his lips.

He was captivated by the sleeping man and had leaned forward, just a hair's breadth away from his lips. He wanted to kiss him but repressed his amorous cravings and pulled away. It was bad enough that he broke into Draco's room. It would be worst if he stole a kiss.

Shameless old Ghost.

Oliver sighed, and instead of kissing Draco's lips, he brushed his lips against Draco's forehead.

He pulled away entirely and stood by the balcony for a moment, ensuring that Draco rested peacefully. He decided tomorrow he would talk to him about his indiscretion of entering his room... but perhaps he will keep the almost-kiss to himself.

He stepped back out on the balcony, ensuring the doors were shut firmly behind him. The snow had stopped falling at this point, but it left a thick cover. Oliver was still unfazed by the cold, even without shoes or a shirt; only the fog from his breath revealed the freezing temperatures.

He couldn't bring himself to sleep again. He scaled over the balcony railing and carefully climbed down the wall until he hit the ground.

He made his way to the training grounds and picked up two wooden swords. He started slowly practicing his sword movements with nothing but the moonlight and snow to accompany him.

Oliver continued until, deep in the night, the snowfall had come and gone several times. A few more inches of snow had piled up, but he was too immersed in the sword to realize. However, his feet couldn't keep up with his mind, and he stumbled. He landed on his knees, and he let out a sharp gasp. His chest was tight, and his breath was unstable. He leaned on his swords as he tried to ease the burn he felt in his lungs.

Suddenly, a heavy cape was draped on his shoulders, and two strong arms wrapped around him.

"What in the hells are you doing?" Draco's furious voice rumbled behind Oliver.

A tired laugh left Oliver's lips. "Couldn't sleep."

"Fool. Can you even get up?"

Oliver examined his body and sighed. "No."

Draco suddenly picked him up in his arms. Draco looked down to his feet and blanched. "Your feet are practically mutilated."

Oliver looked down and saw that his feet were covered in blood. Although he didn't feel the cold, his bare feet still needed protection. His skin had cracked and split due to the strenuous movement in the snow.

"Oh," Oliver muttered. He hadn't noticed his feet because he was too caught in his swords.

Draco clicked his tongue and ran inside while cradling Oliver in his arms. Oliver would have protested being carried in a bridal style, but luckily no one saw them run in.

Draco slipped into Oliver's room and laid him on the bed. He hurriedly rekindled the fireplace to bring warmth back to his cold room. When he was done, he searched around the room and found items to treat Oliver's feet.

"Draco, they'll be fine. There's no reason to fuss." Oliver said quietly.

But Draco shot him a dark look, kneeled in front of him, and took a foot in his hands. He was gentle with the wounds and diligently cleaned them. "Why?" He asked quietly while wrapping a foot in bandages.

Oliver pursed his lips and turned his head toward the windows. "I couldn't sleep," he repeated.

"If you can't sleep, count sheep, use lavender oils, or drink warm milk. Only a fool would go out in the snow barely dressed."

"I needed to straighten out my thoughts." He said quietly.

Draco wrapped up his feet. "You can just talk to someone about it."

Oliver chuckled lightly. How could he tell Draco that he almost took advantage of him while he was sleeping and needed to purify his thoughts?

"I already told you that you could just come to me," Draco added quietly.

"Then shouldn't you come to me as well?" Oliver asked.

Draco winced. "What?"

"You haven't been sleeping well lately."

Draco, still kneeling, pressed his forehead against Oliver's knee. He released a heavy sigh. "So you were in my room tonight."

Oliver flushed. "About that..."

"You should have just stayed," Draco murmured, cutting off Oliver's floundering words.

"Then will you stay here?" Oliver voiced the emboldened question.

Draco raised an eyebrow, and his lip curled. "I think that would be best, considering you will probably just sleep on the floor if I am not here."

Oliver's face fell for a moment. "What?"

Draco pointed towards the blankets on the ground. "I know you were sleeping on the floor."

He easily picked Oliver up and helped him lay down on the bed. He took off his shirt and shoes and climbed on the other side. He covered the both of them before pulling Oliver into his arms. Oliver felt heat rush through his body as his face rested against Draco's bare chest. 

They hadn't slept in the same room since he had his breakdown, and Oliver didn't realize how much he longed for Draco's embrace.

"Seriously, why the floor?" Draco groaned.

"It's easier." His words were a low mutter. "I can react quickly if we're attacked."

"Attacked?" He peered over at Oliver and saw his serious face. "Has that happened a lot?"

Oliver tilted his head to look at Draco, and his eyes widened when he noticed how close his lips were to his. "It's... complicated... but at one point in my life, yes."

Draco ran his fingers against Oliver's cheek. "You have so many secrets." He sighed and turned his face away, but his fingers still lingered on Oliver's face. "One day, I hope you'll tell me. But tonight, get some sleep."

Oliver rested his head on Draco's chest and embraced the warmth radiating off of his body. He quickly found sleep.

On the other hand, Draco was trying to calm his racing mind raced. He couldn't forget waking up with Oliver's scent still on his bedding. It was faint but present. He went to the balcony and noticed the snow on the railing was scattered as if someone had jumped over it. He panicked, dressed, and jumped down from the balcony.

But then he was greeted with the image of Oliver dancing in the snow. It was beautiful, more enchanting than when he was fighting the Ravagers. Even the bright moonlight paled in comparison.

With this as his last thought of awareness, he sunk into a dreamless slumber.

The morning came, and Oliver was the first to wake. The first thing he noticed was Draco's presence. He was hyper-aware of his skin pressing against his. Considering his behaviors the night before, he knew this was dangerous for his desires.

He tried to slip away from Draco's embrace; however, a pair of strong hands caught him and pulled him back. Draco's strength was not light, and Oliver found himself lying on Draco's chest. He panicked and attempted to escape, but Draco grabbed Oliver's waist to keep him in place. Oliver was left straddling Draco's waist.

Oliver was about to protest, but the image of the man beneath him left him speechless. His eyes darkened as he soaked in the powerful muscles that decorated his chest, and his gaze followed the trail down his stomach, pausing at the prominent mermaid line.

Oliver felt his face heat up more than it already was and tore his gaze away. "Sorry." He whispered.

Draco didn't say anything. He had been awake for a while but only pretended to be asleep when Oliver stirred. Oliver escaped him before, but he would not allow it again.

Draco sat up while keeping Oliver on his lap. His chest was flushed against Oliver's, and he could feel his wild heartbeat. This revelation enthralled him. His fingers started to brush and draw circles on Oliver's bare skin.

"Draco." His voice trembled with his body.

Oliver wanted this. He needed to be as close as possible to Draco—to be held by him. Oliver had known Draco for over twenty years. They may have stood on the opposite side of the battlefield, but there was no one else he connected so deeply with.

Draco's intimate touches and seductive behaviors enticed Oliver. In his last life, Oliver had fallen for Draco and held him in his heart for decades. But Draco only had a few months to know Oliver. It didn't seem feasible that Draco would have developed feelings in such a short amount of time.

Right?

He thought about creating some distance to regain control of his chaotic and lust-filled mind. But when Oliver tried to pull away, Draco held him closer and nuzzled Oliver's neck.

Oliver hummed from the sensation of Draco's breath on his skin, and his hands gripped Draco's shoulders.

"What..." Oliver wanted to ask what Draco's intentions were, but his voice was caught in his throat when Draco revealed a broad smile.

Oliver's eyes gravitated toward Draco's sharp teeth that peeked out from behind his lips. He felt somewhat mesmerized by his canines, finding them beautiful and irresistible. Stuck in a trance, he lifted his hand, and his thumb brushed against Draco's lip, yearning for a touch.

Draco opened his mouth a little in compliance, caught Oliver's thumb with his teeth, and his fang pierced into his skin.

The pain was sharp and sudden, making Oliver shiver. However, it quickly faded and turned into a fierce heat. Oliver was nearly panting at one small bite.

Draco wanted to relish this reaction from this beautiful man. His mouth released Oliver's finger, his tongue flicked at the small wound, and playfully asked Oliver, "Did it hurt?"

Oliver was still dazed. "No."

Draco leaned into Oliver, his face buried in his neck again.

"Then where else shall I bite?" His lips vibrated on Oliver's skin. His words were laced with a possessiveness that Oliver wanted to give into.

The serenity of their morning was interrupted by the sounds of the manor started; the laughter of children, the bustle of the servants, and the soldiers in the yard.

Draco reined in his temptations and refrained from sinking his teeth into Oliver's shoulder. Draco secured Oliver in his arms, got out of bed, and carried him to the bathroom.

Oliver laughed and held onto him. "I'm sure I can bathe myself."

Draco's chest rumbled with a chuckle. "Perhaps, but I can help."

He sat Oliver down on a chair and took in his bright smile. Draco finally looked away and started to unwrap his feet. He let out a small exclamation when he found that the wounds had healed. "You weren't lying about healing fast."

He straightened his back and ran his hand through Oliver's hair, enjoying the silk texture. He brushed through it carefully and started to braid it elaborately in a Rucrean style.

Oliver had gotten used to this treatment and closed his eyes. "I've always admired the braids of Rucreans." He mused.

"It's a common trend for Rucrean warriors to wear their hair like this. It reminds us of the dragons we have come from... The dragon spine and scales." He touched a braid gently and followed the pattern down. "The tail... the strength of our ancestors."

"That's beautiful."

Draco had finished the braid, but his hands still held Oliver's silver hair. "We learn how to braid at an early age because when we grow into adults, no one else is allowed to touch our hair, not even our family... Only lovers will be allowed to."

Oliver's eyes fluttered open, and he looked over his shoulder toward Draco. He examined his eyes, trying to understand what he had just said fully.

"Lovers?" His voice cracked for a moment. "But... you've been..."

Draco moved back in front of Oliver and knelt again so they were nearly at eye level. He picked up Oliver's braid and pulled it to his lips. "Since I saw you in the Bierzen gardens, I showed you my intentions through the customs of my culture."

A storm of new emotions stormed inside Oliver, and a smile blossomed on his lips. He reached out with trembling fingers and carefully took a lock of Draco's hair between his fingers. "Is that so?"

Draco released a breathy laugh and pulled Oliver closer to him. "There are things you should know about me, though."

Oliver nodded. "Tell me. Tell me everything... But tell me later."

"Later?" Draco asked, but what answered him were Oliver's lips on his.

The kiss was unexpected, but it fulfilled a desire boiling inside them. Draco shuddered as he tasted the sweetness of Oliver's lips. He was quick to reciprocate and pulled Oliver flush against his chest. He deepened the kiss, stealing a moan from Oliver.

Draco lightly bit Oliver's lip with his fangs, and the taste of copper filled their mouths. Oliver tangled his hands in Draco's hair. His back arched while Draco's nails scratched down his shoulders.

Oliver broke away from the kiss. His eyes misted over, his lips swollen, and he was panting. Draco grinned and gave him a light kiss on his cheek, down his neck, and to his shoulder. His fangs grazed the flesh just above his clavicle.

"Finally," Draco murmured. "Finally, I can call you mine."

Oliver smiled and held back the euphoric tears, profoundly feeling the sentiments of Draco's words. He repeated the same words in his heart.

After so many years, Draco was his.

Finally.

••••••A/N••••••

Fucking finally.

Getting to this part took a lot longer than expected, but here we are. This was a long time coming, so thank you for sticking with me on this one! You all are amazing! Thank you! ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 40 29
Dusk grew up dodging his siblings, and dreaming of the life he could have without the Black family. The first step to achieve that, getting into Lapi...
29 0 3
(14+) Wisteria had grown up so distant from his father. Never did he come outside to play with him, to meet his friends. Why, never did he come outsi...
5.2M 279K 83
Oliver's life turns upside down when he learns that werewolves exist and one of them is his mate, but things get dangerous when he starts to learn mo...
4.9K 574 43
❦ WINNER OF THE RIVETING WRITING CONTEST ❦ OLIVER IS DYING With only months left to live at just seventeen, Oliver spends his remaining days of endle...