A Ghost's Wish [MxM]

By Hopestrife

[COMPLETED] Oliver Kardos was the General of Bierze and Guardian of the Realms. He had dedicated his life to... More

1. A Ghost
2. A Ghost's Request
3. A Ghost's Parade
4. Anima Wish
5. A Wish
6. A Ghost Returns
7. An Insulting Proposal
8. A Ghost Becomes a Trainee
9. An Informant
10. A Ghost, a Priest, and a Thief Walk Into Bar
11. An Old Foe
12. An Alibi
13. A Ghost Wrapped in Mystery
14. An Expected Invitation
15. A Spar
16. A Ball
17. A Break Up
18. A Confrontation in the Gardens
19. A Farewell
20. A Brawl
21. A Threat
22. A Battle
23. A Welcome Home
24. A Rescue
25. A Dream
27. A Guest
28. A Prisoner
29. A Breakdown
30. A Vision
31. Moonlight
32. A Nest
33. A Roar
34. A Wyvern
35. A Dragon King
36. A Request to Leave
37. A Threat
38. A Conference
39. A Motive
40. A Night [M]
41. A Brand
42. A Summons
43. A Skirmish
44. Guarded
45. Choices
46. A Visitor
47. A Golden Cage
48. An Old Friend
49. An Heir
50. A Rucrean King
51. Reunited
52. A Traitor
53. Terms of Surrender
54. A Guardian
55. Desire [M]
56. An Attack
57. A Monster
58. A Messanger
59. Four Generals
60. An Explosion
61. A Stampede
62. War
63. An End
64. A Ghost's Wish [End]
Epilogue

26. A King

9.5K 602 149
By Hopestrife

Oliver remained in the kitchen after Draco had left.  He hunched over the sink and steadied himself.

Not a dream.

Not a hallucination caused by the poison.

His Draco was in his arms just moments ago. It was unbelievable, but each chaotic beat of his heart proved that this was real.

He's alive.

He's unharmed.

And his voice... 

"Gods and hells," Oliver murmured. 

Draco's voice was an orchestra of all that is holy and evil. Miracles and sins. 

Although Draco didn't seem to recognize him, there was a clear attraction between them—a palpable desire. Perhaps he knew Oliver on an instinctual level. 

Oliver covered his face in his hands, still feeling the heat of his blush, and a light laugh slipped from his lips. This time, he won't walk away from Draco. He won't let go so easily. 

It took a long time for Oliver to calm down. He finally sat down on the ground again and closed his eyes until the sun started to rise.

He was never one to spend much time sleeping, so a few hours was enough for him. On the battlefield, it was common to rest your eyes briefly before the next fight began. Even after his rebirth, fatigue was not a major concern.

He rubbed his eyes, shielding them from the bright light streaming in from the windows.  He dressed and started to make tea and rice porridge. It wasn't the ideal meal he wished to provide his guests, but it was enough to fill their bellies before they headed out. 

He hoped that he could convince them to stay in Wynter. He scoffed at his desperation. The great Guardian was pining

But then again, he had always pined for Draco. The only difference was that he was now aware of it.

However, his thoughts abruptly stopped. His spoon clattered on the counter as the scent of blood grew like a rolling fog threatening to swallow him whole. He was a ghost who had been figuratively fucked by death, so he could never forget this stench. 

He was instantly alert, grabbed his swords, and stood at the door. His body was tense and ready to defend. However, when he heard a familiar patterned knock, he relaxed. He opened the door and greeted Mark and the others.  They all looked worn out with dark circles under their eyes, obviously fighting and traveling all night.

He put his swords away, brought them in, and indicated they should be quiet. As they filed in, Oliver peeked into the bedroom and saw the two figures sleeping. A small smile tugged at his lips before he closed the door to guard the Rucreans' slumber.

He walked to the kitchen and leaned against the counter while sipping his tea. "What's the situation?"

"We assume the valley we attacked was just a small hideout for the Ravagers.  The man you rescued killed over thirty men, and we took out the couple dozen outside the cave.  We estimated at least another fifty to sixty men inside." Mark started his report. 

Oliver raised an eyebrow. "And this is considered a small hideout?"

Mark nodded. "After sending a signal to Commander Ian and the others, we were able to regroup and launch our attack on the valley and cave.  Our groups eliminated another couple of dozen people, but the cave was unfathomably deep. We will need a more cohesive plan to investigate it."

Oliver had expected it, deep caves within the mountain, letting the Ravagers roam where they please. "What were the conditions of the cave?"

The group was a little confused by the question. "Isn't it just a cave?"

When Oliver traveled as a General, he needed to find shelter in remote places.  In the mountains, the best place was a cave, but they needed to be wary of their selection.  They had found a cave with decent living conditions once, but in the middle of the night, their troop was attacked by cave dwellers.  After that, Oliver learned how to scrutinize possible shelters. The longer the inhabitants lived there, the more dangerous they could become.  If the Ravagers had lived in the caves for years, they could have set up a strong and complex home away from the eyes of others.  

"Was there much traffic on the ground? Like a worn path?" Oliver asked.

Max was quick to speak.  "It was smooth.  There was nothing to trip over.  No loose stones."

"And the walls?"

"The same... like it was meticulously carved out." Max was concerned about the peculiarity of the cave. As an assassin, he needed to be hyper-aware of the locations he had entered.

Oliver's concern deepened and reflected on his face.  Even if it was a well-worn path, it shouldn't feel like it was meticulously carved. His thoughts lingered on this... was it magic? 

"What about lighting?" He asked, keeping his suspicions to himself. 

 "Installed light stones... Boss, how long do you think they have lived there?"

Oliver set his teacup down on the counter. "A long time." His voice was low and put the others on edge.

"What does that mean?" James asked tentatively. 

Oliver crossed his arms over his chest.  "The Ravagers have been invading our land and Rucrea for many years and disappearing into these caves.  They have created a self-sustaining system within the caves; food, water, weapons... they have everything they need.  Additionally, they are not weak, so they also have combat training.  They are a secret society that has been growing stronger within the shadows of our lands." 

The room fell silent, but Oliver smiled. "We have found an entrance...  We found one, so we can find the others.  It will be difficult because they know they have been exposed, but it's not detrimental to our goal. This is the first time we can go on the offense. You all have done well." 

The atmosphere bolstered, and Oliver's small troop puffed their chests because of the compliment.  They have come to find that a compliment from Oliver is a rare thing.

"When will Ian and the others arrive?"

"He is right behind us. He has a present for you." Max said with a grin.

Oliver's brow creased. "I should be wary of your gifts."

The men around him joked with him, bringing a lively atmosphere to the cabin. However, while they jested, Oliver's eyes fell on the tall figure in the bedroom doorway. A smile naturally bloomed, and he motioned for Draco to join them. 

As he approached, Oliver's men stepped back with wide eyes.

"Rucrean?" James was simply awestruck when he saw the tall man with red eyes.  

Oliver shook his head helplessly at the blatant admiration in James' voice. He handed Draco a cup of tea.

"These are some of my men," Oliver said and introduced each one.

Draco gave them a traditional northern salute. "Draco."

Oliver held in a laugh because of the different sides he had seen with this man.  In the garden, he was reserved but slightly affectionate.  Last night, he was salacious and shameless.  And now, he was introverted and stingy with his words.  

Before he could dwell on it, Oliver's attention turned back to the door. "It seems that Ian had brought a visitor."

Max grinned and patted Oliver on the shoulder. "You'll like this. I promise."

Oliver followed the others outside to see Ian and the rest of the Wynter squads approaching. A grey Glacier Tundra stallion was being led by a rope. However, the horse was extremely hostile and kept rearing and bucking out of anger.

Draco recognized the horse and leaned close to Oliver. "I hope your men will not try and gift you my horse."

Oliver laughed. "No. Instead, they are giving me a life."

He pointed to the back of their group, and a Ravager was being dragged through the snow. 

Draco hummed with appreciation and stepped forward while snapping his fingers. "Cadmus, come here."

The grey horse calmed and then trotted to Draco, causing the soldiers from Wynter to falter. Draco didn't pay them any mind and petted the horse's neck affectionately.

Oliver led them all to the barn, which was large enough to shelter most of his men and the Ravager. Oliver stalked up to the Ravager, who was kneeling while shivering from the cold. 

Oliver's anger surged, and the air turned heavy with his bloodlust.  It was enough to make everyone pale and shudder. They all shuffled away from Oliver, except for Draco. This only intrigued him further.

"Why did you bring him to me?" Oliver asked his men while nodding towards the Ravager.

"He provided interesting information," Ian explained.

Oliver tilted his head. "What information has he provided?"

Ian took a deep breath. "They have a king."

"A Ravager King?" He wanted to scoff but couldn't find the courage to do so.  If they had a king, their society would be more developed than he initially thought.  It was dangerous. 

Oliver turned his attention to the Ravager. "Care telling us about your king?"

The Ravager laughed hoarsely. "He will kill you all."

Oliver appeased him with a nod. "So he is strong?  Is that how you choose your leader? Through strength?"

"Do you think we would use something worthless like blood to determine who our king is? We are nothing like your crumbling kingdoms." The Ravager sneered.

A light growl rumbled from Draco. "The Lyrell blood in Rucrea is the definition of strength. I would like to see any Rucrean or Ravager try to challenge us."

A light laugh danced on Oliver's lips. How could a Ravager demean dragon blood?

With a smile, he voiced his musings. "The Commodus family has holy power running through their blood and rule through the church in Osmela. The Tuahs are characteristically stealthy, and hunting is embedded in their bones.  Not all blood is lacking."

The Ravager laughed disdainfully. "And your Belelots? Are their blood powerful?"

Oliver paused before he started to laugh loudly with the man. "If strength were measured by greed, then the Belelots would be the most powerful family on this continent."

The Ravager faltered and looked confused. "Is insulting your king allowed?"

Oliver's gaze sharpened when he heard the Ravager say, 'your king'.  He had long stopped believing that he was a Belelot subject. How could a ghost consider a Belelot as his king?

"Bierze's king can threaten to take my head." He emphasized his words, showing his loyalties were not with the Belelots.  "However, he does not have the strength to cut me down."

Draco laughed, remembering the night in the garden.  The prince had stabbed Oliver, but it was a weak attempt. 

"How many times has he tried?" He asked with a grin.

"Enough times to make me admire his tenacity." Oliver returned the smile. "It's a shame that the Ravager King is stronger than Bierze's king."

"The jaded fiance speaks harshly of his ex." The Ravager sneered.

Oliver paused, and his scowl turned to bemusement. "How interesting... the Ravagers are aware of the rumors within the kingdom.  Your intelligence network is above my expectations."

The Ravager shut his mouth and looked livid.  He didn't want to reveal how powerful the Ravagers truly were.

Oliver didn't press the issue. Instead, he pulled out a map. He laid it on the ground. "This is where we found your hideout. If it is anything like Camwood Cavern, it goes deep within the mountains and branches off to other paths and entrances... An anthill in the mountains."

Ian glared at the Ravager. "We asked about the caves, but he will not say."

Oliver kneeled in front of the Ravager. "I won't extort too much information from you.  How about we negotiate?" He pointed to the map. "Just one cave. Show me one cave that leads from Wynter to Rucrea."

The Ravager didn't say anything and looked away stubbornly.

Oliver sighed and grabbed the Ravager's hand. With a quick swipe of his knife, he cut off the man's index finger. The Ravager groaned from the sudden pain, and his eyes were transfixed on his bloody hand.

Oliver grabbed the dismembered finger and used its blood to mark several places on the map like a stamp. "Based on my report, these locations are where you have attacked in Wynter and Rucrea."

He plotted out a couple of other areas. "And based on these attacks, your entrances are located around these areas."

The Ravager was turning pale from both shock and pain.

"You see, it's just a matter of time before we find your bases and wipe them out. But if you make it easier for us, your death will also be easy." Oliver said with a dark grin.

The Ravager shuddered. "You're not like the rumors."

Oliver groaned. "I have heard this so many times that I am growing calluses on my ears."

The Ravager hesitated. "One cave?"

Oliver nodded. "Yes."

The Ravager shuffled towards the map and pointed to a location on the other side of the Asksno Peaks.

A low rumble echoed in Draco's chest as he saw the location. It was the perfect location to raid a traveling party, specifically Cora's. 

Oliver saw the same thing Draco did. He struggled to find a reason why the Ravagers wanted to take Cora.  If the Ravager King was so great, why go to such lengths for a child? Was Cora the goal, or was it to break down the Rucrean King? Were they still in harm's way?

Oliver's gaze landed on Draco for a moment before turning away.

"Who ordered you to take the Rucrean girl?" Oliver suddenly asked, alarming Draco.

The Ravager glared. "You already got your one request."

"New negotiations," Oliver said, his eyes not leaving the man's body.  

"Was it your King?" The Ravager didn't flinch.

"Was it Belelot?" No reaction.

"Tomin?" Nothing.

Oliver feared it was someone from Bierze and considered the likely suspects.  Finally, he whispered the other name scratching at the back of his mind. 

"Russell." 

The man's eyes widened for half a second. Most would not have caught the expression, but Oliver did. He closed his eyes out of disgust—the Russells. Those damnable slave traders and loyal dogs of the Belelots.

"I see," Oliver said with a dark laugh. "Then you wasted your time. The Russells are dead and dead men cannot reward you."

The Ravager's glare was fierce, and he snarled. "It's not a simple reward we seek. But it matters not. Bierze will be its own undoing. There is filth in the shadows of Bierze, more powerful than you can imagine!"

As he said this, he raised his hands and launched toward Oliver, seeking to strangle him. However, his loose sleeves fell down his arm, and a tattoo on one of his forearms was suddenly exposed; a bear with a crown. 

Oliver sidestepped him and grabbed the man's arm, stopping his movement. 

"This sigil... tell me about it." His voice trembled with blinding wrath.

He had seen this sigil a couple of times now.  Once with the guards who arrested him on the battlefield in his past life... the other was tattooed on the hand of the hooded bastard who visited him in his cell. He was the man who manipulated Bierze, awaited the Kardos and Lyrell downfall, and yearned for magic in the world.

Piers' associate. 

The crowned bear will rise when the Swords of Moonlight and Dragons fall.

"So... that bastard prince already approached you."

The air turned cold and hostile as Oliver said this. He knew that the Belelots supported the Russells, especially in their slave trade. The alliance between the Belelots and Ravagers had already formed years before the pointless war started.

The Ravager scoffed at this request. "You've seen this before?"

And then I will take over the Bierze kingdom, and my people will be able to live on the surface again.

The surface... Oliver felt a chill run up his spine. Oliver now suspected the hooded man's identity. Oliver's emotions fluctuated, and a dense killing rippled from him. The violet in his eyes deepened to nearly black.

"Your king bears this mark as well?" His voice was like venom sinking into the Ravager's blood.

"We all do," The Ravager murmured.

Oliver's fingernails pierced into the man's arm. "Where is his located?"

"I won't say."

Oliver leaned in close; his face twisted into a snarl. "If you do not tell me, I will peel off your skin and feed it to you; you quivering cunt." 

The Ravager was larger than Oliver, but he was quaking from the threat. Still, he stubbornly remained silent.

Oliver laughed as if he had turned mad. "Good," he pulled out a knife. "Making you scream will be far more enjoyable."

Oliver's men had never seen him so enraged before. His tone was like a festering wound, wrath incarnate. 

The Ravager nearly whimpered. "Hand... back of his hand."

Oliver's blade stopped just before he sliced into the man's arm. His face dropped, revealing his disappointment that the Ravager gave in quickly.

The Ravager struggled against Oliver's grip and tried to salvage his pride. "It doesn't matter if you know. When you meet my King, you will meet your demise."

Oliver's eyes flashed. "Not this time," he whispered. "This time, I will kill him. And I guarantee his end will be so miserable that he begs to die by Infinite Lacerations."

"They claimed the monsters were the dragons up north," The Ravager shook as his eyes flicked toward Draco. He reluctantly drew them back to Oliver. "But I never suspected that the true beast was you."

"Monster? Beast? No," Oliver chuckled. "They called me Ghost."

The Ravager hastily pulled his arm away, finally freeing himself, and fell heavily on the ground.  He closed his eyes, and the air around him started to shift. 

 Oliver felt a chill run up his spine as he remembered this electrifying feeling. Magic... and it was gathering in the arm of the Ravager. Oliver cursed and stabbed the knife into the man's throat without hesitation.

The man paled as the magic dissipated and blood dripped from his mouth. The light faded from his eyes, and he fell over. Oliver's bloodlust disappeared as the Ravager died and relieved the pressure his men endured. 

"Boss?" Sal asked hesitantly. "Um, shouldn't we have kept him alive?"

Oliver clicked his tongue. "Did you really want to fight against magic?"

They murmured and looked at the dead man with troubled faces. "What do you mean magic?"

Oliver raised an eyebrow. "It was weak but still prevalent."

"Boss, magic is a myth," Morris said with a shrug.

"But don't the priests in Osmela use magic?" James argued.

Morris waved his hand to dismiss the idea. "Holy magic is different."

"Magic is magic." Draco's deep voice cut through the atmosphere. "And it's very real. However, not many can feel the fluctuations of magic."

He smirked at Oliver, flashing his sharp canines.

"You also felt it." Oliver gave him a wry smile. He noticed Draco moved almost as fast as he did when the Ravager was condensing his spell.

"It's in my nature." He shrugged.

Ian wasn't entirely convinced. "Boss, have you encountered magic before?"

"A chance encounter." He said vaguely as he pressed his hand over his heart. 

He sighed deeply and nudged the Ravager's body with his foot. "Check to see if he has any information on him and then feed him to the wolves."

The men saluted him while Oliver turned to go back into the house. Draco naturally fell in step with him.

"You're worried about that mark?" Draco asked quietly.

Oliver nodded. "I am. I have seen—"

He stopped his words when they entered the small cabin. Cora was sitting on the countertop while Sarah poured her a bowl of porridge. 

Cora jumped off the counter and ran up to Draco, who easily picked her up. She was happily grinning. "Sarah said that we can stay at Oliver's house."

Draco suddenly looked embarrassed and gave Oliver an apologetic look. "We normally don't act so impolitely."

Oliver shook his head, containing the elation he felt bubbling inside. Sarah was a better friend than he could have fathomed. "It would be better if you stayed with me. Crossing the Asksno Peaks in winter is dangerous."

Draco chuckled and rubbed Cora's head. "That's true. Then we will take advantage of your hospitality."

"If you're fit to travel, we can leave today. We should arrive at the manor in a day." Oliver explained.

Draco sat Cora back on the counter and leaned next to Oliver, grabbing his wrist so he couldn't move away. "I look forward to it."

He left Oliver with flushed cheeks as he went to the bedroom to pack his few belongings. 

Oliver groaned. Draco was acting shamelessly again.

Everyone was distracted, chattering about the Ravager, so they did not see the interaction. However, the small noise caught James' attention. 

"Boss, are you ok?" James asked. "Do you have a fever? Let me—"

"Don't try to pull your medic soldier bullshit this time, James." Oliver interrupted him, knowing that he was about to insist on examining his wounds.  "Pack up. We leave within the hour."

He hurried out of the cabin and stepped into the crisp winter air to cool down. He needed to lead his men back safely, not surrender to temptations. 

He exhaled slowly, his breath coming out as a fog before him. He had a feeling that Draco's visit would be torturously tantalizing. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128 8 13
The kingdom of Krystal was known for it's magical creatures, such as elves, fairies, and witches, even the king was of magic, a shifter of a white wo...
29 0 3
(14+) Wisteria had grown up so distant from his father. Never did he come outside to play with him, to meet his friends. Why, never did he come outsi...
24.3K 1.1K 17
After drinking something strange what happens when our main character Oliver wakes up in an unknown place. Just after a few seconds of waking up he s...
3.8K 207 49
"I, Kardian Heil Romanoff, Reject you, Carlson Bynjamin as my mate" You did the right thing You did the right thing I did the right thing.... What b...