The One Who Came

Av BitchyCookies

Alpha Ivan Black is tired of waiting for his mate. He has spent 8 long years in the midst of loneliness which... Mer

Introduction
Chapters in order
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58

Chapter 37

706 49 13
Av BitchyCookies

This chapter is dedicated to @xqueensiex. Thank you for your voting, love!

'Almost there.' Aife said as she slowed her pace down a little. 'We are close to passing the Lotus pack, our neighboring pack is next.' She said while still keeping her legs working. Aife managed to look behind her at Karter for a second before snapping her head back. 

Karter had Ivan's bloodied body on his back, his white fur was now red from his mate's wounds. Percy howled for the millionth time, and Karter's chest contracted with intense pain. All of the warriors were huffing, their legs tired from continuous running and the pain from their injuries was getting too much. But Karter was another deal, his forehead was still furrowed in concentration with no sign of exhaustion. Karter's steps never trembled or his stance wavered. As if there was unlimited stamina, Karter carried on with this task. 

'We are close to passing the Lotus pack, our neighbor pack is next'

'That will be Simon's pack.' Andra stated from behind him. (Refer back to Chapter 1)

'Andra said 'that'll be Simon's pack.' Karter directed it to Leo and Aife.

After a while, they discovered that they couldn't communicate through mind link to each other, just Karter. Which left him to convey everyone's message to the others. It annoyed him a bunch, considering he was concentrating on balancing Ivan while running as fast as he can, so he ignore some message that he deemed unimportant. 

'We are at the Storm Forest Pack!' Aife declared after a few minutes, referring to Alpha Simon's pack. 

'We are at the-' Karter proceeded to reflect the message again but froze suddenly. Aife didn't notice so she kept walking but Andra bumped him and stopped

'Now, it'll only take us 20 or so min-' Aife couldn't complete her sentence when Karter huffed loudly and scraped his leg to get her attention.

She looked confused at him and her head snapped to the front. She slowly crouched down low and stationed herself in an attack mode. Karter glanced around himself and gestured to Andra and Leo to take care of all of the directions. 

Karter couldn't decide on his plan. Should he charge forward and attack or stay put and wait in defense? He could hear the footsteps of two wolfs running towards them, consider the number, Karter was leaning more towards waiting. 

'Only two, be prepared.' Karter warned but decided against letting Ivan go yet. Andra walked to his left while Leo remained by his right. They took an appropriate stance but felt so much fatigue in their bodies. It was a do-or-die situation, so they were planning to give it their all.

It took 10-15 seconds for the two wolves to get closer for them to hear their footsteps. Aife dug her paws in the soil and sneered in front of her. Two grey wolves appeared through the thick trees and stopped in their tracks when their eyes landed on Aife's attack form and Karter. 

They didn't smell like rogues like the previous wolves, their appearance reflected of a warrior with minimum scars on their fur with attentive glares. 

I can't lower my guard, Karter thought. The wolves who attacked Ivan also looked sensible with built forms. 

Karter's suspicions of them decreased immensely when one of them shifted. Her naked body was fully in view before her comrade stood in front of her, sideways, in a protective stance. That was a common action since you could trust no one in your two-legged form.

"Who are you?" She asked in a husky voice.

Andra looked toward Karter, asking him permission to shift. The white wolf angrily looked at the two newcomers, his mind couldn't settle upon a decision. He couldn't afford to trust anyone right now. 

Should he order them to attack them even though they 'seem' harmless? 

Should he exchange some necessary information and wait until they let them go? 

What would be the best decision considering Ivan's state?

Karter wouldn't be able to fight with Ivan on his back. But his warriors were injured and tired, it would be hard to put them down so they'll escape. Those two might still have a connection with their pack, they could call for backup. 

After a minute, Karter sighed and nodded. 'Don't say anything without running it through me.' He warned and watch her nod before she shifted as well. 

Aife instantly stood by her side, still in her attack mode. 

"We are just passing by." Andra answered with an easy smile on her face.

She covered her bloody side when the other woman stared at her. 

"Wh-what- who's he?" The woman, who smelt like an Alpha, hesitantly said. Her eyes looked terrified when she looked at Karter's massive form that carried Ivan's ratted body. 

'Tell them, just say it's our Luna.' Karter told Andra since they wouldn't be able to lie about something like this. 

"Our Luna." Andra said to her. The other woman didn't speak for a while and glanced at her partner. 

"I-I assumed." She hesitantly said, her eyes were shifting in nervousness.

'Shit, they're mind-linking. It means they still can contact their pack.' Karter said to everyone, his voice sounding sharp and cautious.

"What about him?" She nodded towards Ivan.

'Warrior. Don't let anyone know Ivan was attacked' Karter said. 

"Warrior." She briefly said.

"How did... that happen?" She let her eyes roam around, staring hard at their injuries.

Andra didn't speak, waiting for Karter to direct her. 'Went on a visit, encountered rogues in the way.' Karter finally spoke after some thinking. 

"Well, we are visiting a pack for some business and got attacked in the way." Andra contemplated if she should elaborate but remembered Karter's instruction of not saying more than enough.

"That's rough." The woman distracted said and trained her eyes on Karter and Ivan. "He doesn't look good." She commented. 

"Well..." Andra side glanced at Karter nervously. "He'll be fine." She stated without waiting for Karter, she saw the expressions of the other woman to see she was started to suspect her late replies.  

'Shit, Andra. Did I tell you to say that?' Karter angry cursed.

"Are you sure?" The woman raised her eyebrows.

'Say that we don't know yet, that is why we are trying to get to our pack.' 

Andra dramatically sighed and lowered her head. "We don't really know." She made her voice crack. "Right now we are just trying to get to our pack." Her hands came up to squeeze herself. Karter looked at her in slight amusement.

It appeared to do the trick as a concerned look appeared at the woman. "Instead of traveling to your pack, you should hurry to ours. We can treat him before something worse happens." She hurriedly offered. 

'No, we are not entering anyone's pack.' 

'Well, that's a  broad statement, don't suppose I can straight up say that.' Andra scoffed. 

"It's okay, we can reach in time." She reassured. "Now, if you let us, we need to hurry." She instantly added.

"What pack are you from?" She asked firmly yet with a nonchalant tone. 

'Should I tell her?' She asked Karter.

'Hmm, there is no harm. Our pack travels regularly.' 

"The Black Stone pack." Andra stated.

"Oh!" The woman stumbled in surprise. "Really?" 

"Yeah." Andra was kind of confused by her reaction but her next statement cleared it up.

"You guys have been in the news lately." She said and glanced at her partner.

Karter thumbed his paw heavily on the ground to get the female Alpha's attention. 'Tell her we need to go and don't have time for her nosy chattering.'

"We really don't have time." Andra said desperately. 

"Oh- um, we really insist. You can get really good treatment here." 

"It's fine, we better be going no-" 

"I can call a few of our warriors to carry hi-" She started to step forward as she spoke. 

Her steps faltered when Karter let out a low growl and lifted his legs and got closer. 

"We really need to move, thank you for your concern but it's better if we got to our pack." Andra hurriedly said and shifted without a warning. She nodded toward the two and took a cautious step forward. 

The woman nodded and moved away, giving them the space to walk away. "Good luck then." Her skeptical look ticked Karter off as he passed her.

'Let's not waste anytime.' Karter directed them as they quicken their pace. 'Keep a lookout, I don't trust her.' He added. 

'Yes, Luna.' All three voices replied. 

---------

'We are there!' Aife's thrilling voice hit Karter. 

'Thank Goddess.' Karter huffed tiredly. He had started to feel the fatigue 10 minutes ago, Ivan's weight was finally becoming unbearable. 

During their time passing by the Storm Forest pack, they encountered 6 more of their warriors. It seems like the wolves they encountered early ordered them to leave them alone but their attentive eyes followed Karter and his squad all the time. 

They only stopped one time to get some water after they encountered a river. Karter could see that the three were beyond exhausted but Ivan's state wouldn't let him pity anyone. They picked up right after getting some water in their system. 

Every step had become heavier and insufferable by the minute but when the anticipated victory came in sight, everything become worth it.

'Joseph! Philip!' Andra screamed eagerly and ran ahead. 

'Who are you yelling for?' Karter asked. 

'They patrol this area.' Andra looked back. 'They must be here.' 

By the rustling Karter heard, someone was nearing them which means the mind link will work now.

'Papa?' Karter tried. 

'Karter!' William instantly replied. 'Is that you?!' Panic was evident in his voice. 'You guys didn't answer any of our calls after leaving The Co- Are you guys okay? Are you in the pack?' His hurried questions were laced in worry and Karter was dreading to deliver worse news. 

'We-' A lump got stuck in his throat. After taking a deep breath, Karter mustered up the courage. 'Prepare the hospital, Ivan is severely injured.' He didn't feel like drawing out the inevitable, he needed to act fast to save Ivan. 

His mate's quiet thumping against his skin has been keeping him sane for the time being, he couldn't lose him.

'What?' William's stunned voice came through the link. 'What are you saying?' His voice was so quiet that Karter knew he was finding it hard to believe. 

'Please, papa. I need you to inform the hospital and get everything prepared.' Karter's voice and mind finally started to crack. The strong and tough self that he took over in the last few hours was finally starting to crumble. 'Please.' 

'Okay... Okay.' The link got cut off and Karter felt three wolves charging in front of them.

'What the...!' A wolf who had a burnt orange coat arrived first and said. 

'Get these three safely to the hospital, I'm going ahead.' Karter instructed and picked his heavy paws to run past them. 

Karter felt Ivan slip and little which made him shift his body in a certain way as he ran. He ran past some wolves who cleared the way immediately. When he exited the woods and entered the actual civilized area, he encountered wandering pack members. They stumbled with surprised expressions but it made Karter slow down. 

'Clear the way!' He didn't know he could link the pack at once but something inside him made him do it. 

Everyone immediately got out of his way and Karter continued to make his way to the hospital. He didn't notice everyone's worried and horrified stares or their gasps in disbelief. Karter ran with just one motive in his mind.

---------

As he neared the hospital, he saw a huge number of staff doctors with a wide gurney. They were anxiously standing under the emergency sign. He stopped in front of the building and was helped by the doctors who got Ivan off of him and on the gurney. They immediately wheeled him inside and checked him on the way. They spoke to each other and exchanged their opinions. They put an oxygen mask on Ivan's mouth and attached him to machines all the while they wheeled him towards an operating room. 

Karter stood there stunned, his body stood in the middle of the hospital while everyone bustled in a hurry. He caught William and Lucas running past him and following Ivan in slow motion. After a minute, he saw Andra and Leo being wheeled in. 

He just stood there. With blood dripping from his coat. 

Suddenly, Karter shifted back. He stood on his two legs with shaky legs. He saw his mate, his comrades covered in wounds while standing with not a scratch on his body. Karter's body burned, he didn't know why. Was it because of all of the dreading thoughts that were suddenly coming to his mind? Or perhaps was it because there was no wound on his skin, not even a small scratch? Karter's insides threatened to come out as his vision became cloudy and tunneled. 

Percy's presence was faded, his whining and howls were quiet.

Was it the end? 

Is it gonna be over like this? 

What if they couldn't piece him back together?

What if he loses Ivan? 

If it was, he'll become a shell of a being and shrivel to death.

Thoughts like these made him choke on fluid that brewed up in his throat. Karter's knees became weak so he ended up on the floor with a thump. A hand went up to his neck as blood dropped in front of him. Karter's mind blacked out as he experience the pain in the side of his head as it hit the floor.

-----------

He felt's hands all over his body. Then came the shouts. That is what he woke up to. 

"Hurry!" A blurry image fell to his eyes. A young male with bright orange hair appeared in front of his cloudy vision. 

The man looked down at Karter with a worried look and when he noticed that Karter had somewhat regained consciousness, he got closer and spoke softly. Karter couldn't hear what he was saying, his noises were being muffled. 

"P-... don-.... st-" The voices were coming in snippets and currently Karter didn't have the capacity to concentrate.

He closed his eyes again, desperately wanting to fade away. The temptation was way too high, the calm and safe were calling to him and Karter didn't plan on denying it. 

'Karter.' A sweet voice whispered in his mind. 'I'm so proud of you.' The voice sounded sweet and inviting. 

'Karter.' It said again.

'Percy?' Karter tiredly asked. 

There was no reply.

'Karter.' This time, Karter identified it as a female voice.

'My s-'

Suddenly, he felt fingers digging into his cheek, making him snap open his eyes to the man again. His face was red this time and sweat was resting on his forehead. The man started shouting again and this time, it hit Karter's ear hard.

"Stay awake!" He jerked away to look to his right. "Hurry!" He shouted. "Please stay awake." He pleaded. "Get it here immediately!" From the corner of his eyes, Karter saw someone roll a gurney. His body was raised from the ground by the man and placed on the surface of the gurney. 

Karter felt it move then stop abruptly. "Keep your eyes open, Karter." Suddenly, the haze cleared a little, and Dorothy's face came into his view. "Dr. Davis, what do you see?" She asked the male on the other side of the gurney. He was addressing the orange hair dude who was panicking over Karter. 

"Um..." He let his eyes nervously run over Karter's naked body. His hands were very busy covering themselves with gloves. Lance's anxiously stuttered and licked his lip. "I-"

"Hurry Dr. Davis." She gave him a stern look while putting a small clip, pulse oximeter, on his index finger. 

"W-well, there are no visible injuries on his body. No bruising just old scars." He started and turned Karter's body slightly to check his back. "Yeah, no visible injuries." He confirmed. His finger probed Karter in the side then turned his head for further assessment. 

"What's wrong with him?" She asked.

"There are obvious signs of dehydration and fatigue. It's very likely that the patient passed out because of weakness." He finalized. 

"What should be done?" She brushed Karter's hair from his forehead. 

"Put a line of saline." He sighed in relief as his shoulders sagged. "There's nothing serious." He placed his hand on the gurney and leaned on it to compose himself. 

"Hurry Dr. Davis. The patient is severely fatigued." Biting back her smile, Dorothy firmly stated and gestured towards a nurse who had clear bad of liquid. 

"Yes, Ma'am." He gave her a relieved smile and got to work. 

"Transfer the Luna to his room and get him comfortable." She directed to the clustered doctors and nurses standing around her. "Karter, Hey." She looked down at him as her head leaned forward to whisper to him. "You are gonna be okay." She smiled reassuringly. "I'll be with you in a minute, okay?" Karter collected all of his energy to barely nod. He felt something prickle in his arm and closed his eye. 

--------

"Keep monitoring him."

Karter heard in a distance. He remembered falling asleep after the drip was connected to his arm. With much struggle, he opened his eyes and was met with the bright light in the room. 

"Karter?" He saw a blurry figure walking towards where he lay. "How do you feel son?" Dorothy softly asked as he lowered herself on a stool. 

Karter cleared his throat and raised his head slightly. He felt weakened but noticed that he no longer felt like he was hit by a bus. "Water." His voice sounded hoarse. She immediately poured him a glass and helped him drink after he sat up. 

"Ivan." Karter abruptly asked and gave back the half-empty glass.

"I need you to calm down now. First, answer some of my questions." She gently said and placed a hand on his shoulder. "You see this drip?" She motioned to the drip that contained a clear liquid. "I want it halfway gone before you move." She said in a stern voice.

Karter fidgeted and threw his head back in frustration. "Look Dorothy, I don't really care about your questions. Take me Ivan right now." He looked her dead in her eyes as he spook. He let the anger he felt earlier take over his mind and speak the bitter words. 

"Karter..." Slight unbelief in her voice was apparent. "I don't know much but I can tell you that Ivan is still in surgery. You won't achieve anything going there now other than fainting and coming back here." She sat up with confidence in her stance. "Answer a few questions and let some fluid get in your body. You can go check on him in a while." She said in a finalized tone. "Please." She added.

Karter thought about everything she said. His form was agitating as he tried to weigh the pros and cons of forcing his way to Ivan.

"Fine, I'll answer whatever." He finalized and shifted his eyes around the room anxious. "Leave please." He muttered towards Dr. Davis.

The man, who was previously standing close to the door with his hands clasped behind him, nervously looked at Dorothy as he backed. When the woman nodded in confirmation, he left the room instantly.

"He's new?" Karter asked. The people who are allowed to anything about his medical state are limited and chosen very carefully. Though out the weeks, Karter has become familiar with his team.

"Yes," She answered. "Don't worry, he can be trusted." She added when Karter raised his eyebrow. 

"When did it happen and why was I not informed?"

"A few days ago and Alpha Ivan was informed. My turn now."

Karter sighed and nodded. "Were you injured anywhere? We didn't detect anything." She asked.

"My ribs were broken or at least fractured. There were slashes and cuts, everywhere I guess." He quickly answered with a slight stutter in his voice. 

"Did they happen when you were fighting?" 

"No." 

Dorothy tilted her head in confusion. 

"We were in a crash. That's how I got those. I shifted into Obelious' form, they immediately healed."

"What injuries did you get from fighting?"

Karter pursed his lips and clenched his jaws. 

"None." Karter stated after a few seconds of silence. "Okay, that's it." He pushed the blanket over his body and swung his leg.

"Wait!" Dorothy said in surprise. "You still don't have enough fluids in y-"

"I'll be fine." Karter gripped the glass that contained the rest of his water and gulped it down. 

A dizzy spell passed over him when his feet planted on the floor, putting all of his weight. Dorothy helped him steady and adjusted his IV so he could move with it. 

"Dr. Davis will take you there." Dorothy said and linked the man. 

"Why don't you come with me, Dorothy?" Karter suspectly eyed the man who just entered the room. 

He looked between them with wide eyes and a flushed face. "It's fine Joe, thank you." Dorothy sighed and held Karter's other hand. "Let's go." Karter could feel the patient was running out of the woman but he couldn't help but put the little trust left in him on only her. 

On the way, Dorothy slowed Karter a few times and told him to keep his calm or he'll drop dead among the staff running around. As they neared where Ivan was being operated on, he remembered the place. It was the same OR where Killian was weeks ago. He felt hollow, recalling the painful and hard time they have gone through after he manifested Obelious. 

'Damn you.' He directed it to the being, confidently knowing he was listening. 'Get out of my body and leave us alone!' Unknowingly to Karter, his both eyes turned silver and his hair started to glow brightly. 

Dorothy watched him with her own wide eyes and gripped his shoulder. "K-Karter?!" She frightfully said, feeling anger and hatred from Karter. Being an Alpha, she didn't expect her wolf to feel threatened by the Luna like that. 

'I don't want you!' Karter continued, spitting the words out bitterly. A sharp sneer appeared on his face as. 'You ruined our life!' 

A burst of force emitted from his body, strong but not strong enough to knock Dorothy off her feet. She stumbled and looked at Karter's rigid body. 

'It's not you.' 

The voice again!

It was the female voice again, Karter identified. 

'Leave us... alone.' Karter's word's faded and suddenly he was thrust back to reality. A harsh reality that forced him to encounter his worst fears. That cruelly made him watch his mate bloody and on the verge of death. That made him claw his heart out and end his life before he could obtain the knowledge of his slaughtered love.

Karter snapped open his eye, leaving the haze behind and coming forth to a worried image of Dorothy. 

"Are you okay?!" She shrieked. "What happened?!"

Karter schooled his expressions and said, "Nothing." He walked around her and into the waiting room of the OR. 

Dorothy stood there, stunned. She looked around the empty hallway and slumped her shoulder. She knew something drastically changed when Karter uttered his first word today. 

--------

Karter walked into the room to come across William and Lucas. The Omega parent was sitting on the sofa with his head buried in his hands. Lucas was pacing around the room with a livid expression. They both looked up by Karter's entrance. Now that he could see William's face, he had the displeasure of seeing his tears-covered cheeks and red glossy eyes. Guilt was drenched his guts by the pain he had caused this family. First Killian, whom they treated like a son, now their son was lying half dead. 

William stood up and slowly walked towards him, his lip trembled as more tears streamed down his face. Karter was engulfed by the warmth that his embrace provided, he felt his arms wrap tightly around his waist. William's lip planted on his temple, his hot breath hitting him like a motherly hug. 

"Oh Karter." William cried out. His arm tightened while his body shook with sobs. Karter stood there like a statue and saw Lucas come forward to rub William's back with his own tear leaking from his eyes. When the huge and warm hand of Lucas grazed his own back, Karter was plunged into the state he desperately wanted to be in. Mourning.

Grief hit him so hard. His lip parted and a cry left his throat. The tears he was holding back since seeing Ivan's body ran like a river. 

He shivered, sobbed, and screamed like a mad person in the embrace of his in-law. 

The sadness and anguish surrounded the three and attacked them mercilessly. They feared for the future. 

The outcomes of it held the decisions of their lives.

----------

Yooo! 

How are ya doing?! 

I honestly loved writing this chapter and I hope you like it., 

What do you think about the Karter's demeanor change? 

I know for a fact my sister likes this ruthless Karter better for some reason. 

Vote and Comment!

BYE Angels!

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

157K 8.1K 38
Omegas aren't meant to be leaders according to most packs. However, Sage's pack has been under the lead of a progressive Alpha, and as the only chil...
215K 6.2K 68
Gay romance mxm (MATURE!!. Smutty) (NOT mpreg) ⚠️🔞⚠️ Kai and Shadow have been best friends forever, but not long after their eighteen birthday, they...
403K 20.4K 68
*COMPLETED* After Asher's parents were killed by their enemy pack, he has to take over the position of alpha. Since his parents didn't believe in mat...
158K 6.3K 43
Jack was broken. Being the sole survivor of a massacre that killed his entire family while still a child weighed heavily on him. Fearing for his life...